Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

OwlFancier posted:

I hate the word flextension.

It’s not even a flextension. It’s always been the case that if the agreement gets ratified then the U.K. exits on those terms, which can be before the formal end date. In reality it’s an extension until January 31st, and it’s now up to Corbyn to respond effectively, and if he goes for ‘nope still not going to do it until Johnson totally definitely guarantees we’re not leaving without a deal’ then I think it’s really going to backfire unless he explains exactly what the problem is. If he tries to block and then it passes through a one one bill with simple majority, enjoy the ‘Labour were too scared to have this election’ election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

OwlFancier posted:

You've always been at brexit with Europa

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Braggart posted:

** I expect the Tories to be in favour of convention in this specific instance for some reason.
Yeah I made a sarcy comment on this earlier on but just for clarity I do think the Tories would be happy with a Labour speaker atm, since never-Corbyn wreckers are ten a penny & if there's 2 things Tories love it's outsourcing & wrecking poo poo

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

:flaccid:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pesmerga posted:

It’s not even a flextension. It’s always been the case that if the agreement gets ratified then the U.K. exits on those terms, which can be before the formal end date. In reality it’s an extension until January 31st, and it’s now up to Corbyn to respond effectively, and if he goes for ‘nope still not going to do it until Johnson totally definitely guarantees we’re not leaving without a deal’ then I think it’s really going to backfire unless he explains exactly what the problem is. If he tries to block and then it passes through a one one bill with simple majority, enjoy the ‘Labour were too scared to have this election’ election.

I do genuinely think the attempt is to just say things until after the 31st but I concur that I'm not sure it's especially helpful, though I'm wondering if it's perhaps because they're worried they actually don't have the numbers to win a VONC with the current polling (and don't want to be helped into an election by the tories for optical reasons or something)

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Housing seems strange to me as as far as I know, it's the only item that people buy with the expectation that the price will rise.

Apart from Funkopops, and gently caress those people as well.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Borrovan posted:

Yeah I made a sarcy comment on this earlier on but just for clarity I do think the Tories would be happy with a Labour speaker atm, since never-Corbyn wreckers are ten a penny & if there's 2 things Tories love it's outsourcing & wrecking poo poo

Yeah, there's certainly a majority in Parliament for loving with Corbyn (possibly the only thing there's a majority for at present). Still better than the frothingest Tory they can find.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
morning all. distressing lack of wildlife on this page

the dunnock

the wren, named by someone having a bad day (Troglodytes Troglodytes)

the splendid fairy wren from australia

Carborundum
Feb 21, 2013

Tsietisin posted:

Housing seems strange to me as as far as I know, it's the only item that people buy with the expectation that the price will rise.

Shares, bonds, foreign currency, commodities like gold, oil etc. Though of course you are still correct because stock traders aren't people.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

How did we go so long calling flexible braided insulated copper wire 'flex' without calling a length of flex with a plug on one end and a socket on the other a flextension?

ronya posted:

The movement is toward harm reduction - so neither detaining nor housing addicts, and relying on geography to keep the problem out of the hair of the middle class
Neither detaining nor housing sounds like a bad form of harm reduction, and the sort of thing that leads to themes of "spice overrun town centres" and "sinkhole estates" by the commentariat.

e: ^^ bit coin dot nonce

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Perfectly normal political discourse, just a few fringe nutters, nothing to do with anything

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

CGI Stardust posted:

the splendid fairy wren from australia

Man, Australia gets so many gorgeous birds. Our native species look boring by comparison, apart from kingfishers I guess.

I am not a bird nerd so I'm fully expecting to be corrected on this, and look forward to the pretty pictures with interest :D

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

The good news for everyone worrying about speaker choice is that it requires some nominations from both sides of the house, so anyone completely rabid can't really get in.

This is unfortunately what stops Skinner or someone like him getting the job.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

mehall posted:

The good news for everyone worrying about speaker choice is that it requires some nominations from both sides of the house, so anyone completely rabid can't really get in.

Look into your heart and ask how many MPs in all parties would do absolutely anything to screw Jeremy Corbyn.

But the situation is what it is, and I'm confident the Shadow Cabinet are skilled enough to make the best of it. Never-Corbyn Labour MPs are mostly stupid and bad at politics, as are Lib Dems and Tories.

Edit: Can't forget TIG! Well actually you can and I just did. What was I talking about again?

Braggart fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Oct 28, 2019

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
It's also very hard to do public building programmes without having them subverted by construction companies and other vested interests who'll just take the public cash and build what they intended to build in the first place, particularly if you're aiming at fulfilling an election promise over a few years or w/e. The institutional competence and political dedication needs to be in place over time

It can be done though. The million programme in sweden, though having numerous faults and unintended consequences, actually did manage to build a fuckload of homes. To this day we've arguably got almost no "social housing" that you'd recognize as such

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tsietisin posted:

Oh god, do people think mass produced plastic shite Funkopops will go up in value? They are just reliving the 90s comics collectors bit but this time with total tat instead of Rob Liefield books with shiny covers?

I just thought they were popular because there was a generation who'd gone blind and couldn't see how lazily identikit they all look.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

CGI Stardust posted:

(Troglodytes Troglodytes)

lmao

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

It's also very hard to do public building programmes without having them subverted by construction companies and other vested interests

Nationalise the building/construction industry

Criminal charges and jail sentences for robbing the public purse, more white collar criminals in jail is something I endorse

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Braggart posted:

Look into your heart and ask how many MPs in all parties would do absolutely anything to screw Jeremy Corbyn.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

mehall posted:

That and Skinner would refuse, no question.

Love him or hate him, he's been very consistent on "I am paid to represent the people of Bolsover, that is my job, and none of this governance stuff" for going on 50 years. On of the first 'Corbyn bad' moments was when he turned down a cabinet position offered by Corbyn. But Corbyn knew that would happen anyway and was doing it more out of formality to the party left (and because there were very few people who weren't gunning against him at that time).

Braggart posted:

Man, Australia gets so many gorgeous birds. Our native species look boring by comparison, apart from kingfishers I guess.

I am not a bird nerd so I'm fully expecting to be corrected on this, and look forward to the pretty pictures with interest :D
Have a great spotted woodpecker.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

forkboy84 posted:

I just thought they were popular because there was a generation who'd gone blind and couldn't see how lazily identikit they all look.

That was sort of the appeal though. People liked having a bunch of disperate characters from different media recreated in a uniform style. It triggers the collection hoarding part of the lizard brain.

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu
Really having a hard time following it all right now.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Have a great spotted wood pecker.

Yes please :wiggle:

But yes, that is a very pretty bird. My plan to be corrected with gorgeous wildlife photos is working! :D

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

It's also very hard to do public building programmes without having them subverted by construction companies and other vested interests who'll just take the public cash and build what they intended to build in the first place
This is part of the reason I said "creation" rather than "building" in my proposition. You can also "create" public housing by snapping up all the former private lets that the landlords voluntarily sell when we do all the tasty poo poo we were advocating yesterday, as well as compulsorily purchasing (at a newly-deflated cost) all the vacant properties held by speculative investors & miscellaneous rich cunts.

We do need to build a bunch too though, especially before the climate-induced mass migration kicks in

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

Oh god, do people think mass produced plastic shite Funkopops will go up in value? They are just reliving the 90s comics collectors bit but this time with total tat instead of Rob Liefield books with shiny covers?

My partner has a couple of Jim Henson related ones, but got them as "fun things to put on the mantelpiece" rather than investment commodities.

The box text definitely does imply they're collectable though, and they do look like the end stage of "collectable as commodity", and of course like anything trying to create itself as a collectable, there are 'rare' and 'special edition' and 'event linked' ones.

quote:

A commodity appears, at first sight, a very trivial thing, and easily understood. Its analysis shows that it is, in reality, a very queer thing, abounding in metaphysical subtleties and theological niceties.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Ooh, I'm definitely part of the hard left now! :swoon:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/PlopGazette/status/1188759843424874498

:rip:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Maybe that's his birthday.

Boris Johnson is going to lose the election entirely on the back of people with tattoo regret.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

OwlFancier posted:

Boris Johnson is going to lose the election entirely on the tummies of people with tattoo regret.

E:

Braggart posted:

Ooh, I'm definitely part of the hard left now! :swoon:
knew I had this bookmarked somewhere:

https://gifsound.com/?gifv=5kfz7kn&v=izGwDsrQ1eQ

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Oct 28, 2019

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I didn't order the Tories and nor did anyone else.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

I also love bidets. Of course I've never had one because poverty but I do like a properly cleaned arsehole!

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Borrovan posted:

E:
knew I had this bookmarked somewhere:

https://gifsound.com/?gifv=5kfz7kn&v=izGwDsrQ1eQ

Oh be still my throbbing cock!

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

forkboy84 posted:

Nationalise the building/construction industry

Criminal charges and jail sentences for robbing the public purse, more white collar criminals in jail is something I endorse

There wouldn't be any crimes involved really, or none that you could prove in any case. And attempting to nationalising the entire industry seems extremely likely to fail in any number of ways, it's not like the stakeholders there lack resources or political support. I dunno though, it's not like there's a good, working solution that everyone thinks will work and also happen. I will say I think you can get pretty far by just maximising the public intervention where it "harms" the real estate capital development the most, e.g by having a public entity with lots of cash and good eminent domain rules and no right-to-buy build enough quality stuff that the local parasites have to compete. The landlord/tenant dynamic is a lot less unhealthy when the tenant's got options to choose from

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

That was sort of the appeal though. People liked having a bunch of disperate characters from different media recreated in a uniform style. It triggers the collection hoarding part of the lizard brain.

Seems like we need to do lobotomies for the Lizard brain because FunkoPops are perhaps the single part of late capitalism that enrages me the most. Collecting plastic toys, fine, I've failed to grow up too. But at least get toys thats don't look like they were all made in the same mold.

It's like collecting Lego Star Wars people. Not the cool X-Wing, just little yellow guys with the same face and different costumes to represent Poe Dameron and Han Solo. I'd be less ashamed to collect RealDolls. He'll, I'd rather collect second hand RealDolls than FunkoPops.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Braggart posted:

the UK doesn't have the super-shiny metallic-looking colouration on its birds for the most part, but there are still lots of really pretty ones. starting with these two:

the starling

and the magpie. they look a tad drab from the ground (ed: this one is insufficiently drab, have another one)

but...

and a bunch of others i'll post at some point

CGI Stardust fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Oct 28, 2019

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Borrovan posted:

This is part of the reason I said "creation" rather than "building" in my proposition. You can also "create" public housing by snapping up all the former private lets that the landlords voluntarily sell when we do all the tasty poo poo we were advocating yesterday, as well as compulsorily purchasing (at a newly-deflated cost) all the vacant properties held by speculative investors & miscellaneous rich cunts.

We do need to build a bunch too though, especially before the climate-induced mass migration kicks in

Yea, like, resourceful public intervention in the housing market is definitely key, as long as that intervention is long-term and consciously counters market tendencies. Instead of starting off with "we're gonna take ur house", you can just annoy and pester and torture the accountants until they're like "please take my house" and then the free market can do the stuff it can do competently without public intervention such as providing crisp flavours

Carborundum
Feb 21, 2013

There wouldn't be any crimes involved really, or none that you could prove in any case. And attempting to nationalising the entire industry seems extremely likely to fail in any number of ways, it's not like the stakeholders there lack resources or political support. I dunno though, it's not like there's a good, working solution that everyone thinks will work and also happen. I will say I think you can get pretty far by just maximising the public intervention where it "harms" the real estate capital development the most, e.g by having a public entity with lots of cash and good eminent domain rules and no right-to-buy build enough quality stuff that the local parasites have to compete. The landlord/tenant dynamic is a lot less unhealthy when the tenant's got options to choose from

The US debate over healthcare is really illuminating. You can see basically the same arguments playing out over there. Public healthcare is impossible. There should be an option for people who want public healthcare. Let's just reform the current system to make it more fair. And we know the correct answer is the 'idealist' one: healthcare is a human right and the government can and should provide it. We know idealism is correct in this case, because we've had that system here for several generations.

The interests who would resist a plan that made housing a right of all citizens would also resist any attempt to reform away the problems. So like gently caress it, aim high. Why fight on their ground: policy and practicality and reasonableness, when you can fight on the moral high ground?

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

CGI Stardust posted:

and the magpie. they look a tad drab from the ground

See I still think this one looks nice but I just like magpies.

Especially this one
https://twitter.com/breesophiebree/status/1188743949508325377

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

such as providing crisp flavours
You say this as if Worcester sauce flavoured crisps are freely available at every corner shop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Braggart posted:

Oh be still my throbbing cock!