Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Take Cynxa.
Power Strike at Combat Ratio 0 or below.
Swap the Dodarin Axe so we can at least see what our comrades have to offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

achtungnight posted:

Take Cynxa.
Power Strike at Combat Ratio -5 or below.
Swap Sunderer so we can at least see what our comrades have to offer.

Not emptyquoting this. Our main Kai Weapon is an Axe anyway, so having a second :black101: is redundant.

anakha fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Oct 28, 2019

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

achtungnight posted:

Take Cynxa.

Re Power Strike, are the Kai-surge rules still in effect? Maybe we should save the magic for a bigger imbalance.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Runcible Cat posted:

Re Power Strike, are the Kai-surge rules still in effect? Maybe we should save the magic for a bigger imbalance.
Currently we use Kai-surge whenever the Combat Ratio is below 3 or if the enemy is immune to Mindblast, and Kai-blast when the CR is -9 or worse. I don't think we've ever actually used Kai-blast.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
That was a lot of :words: to give us another item that will forever mess up combat balance :v:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Xarn posted:

That was a lot of :words: to give us another item that will forever mess up combat balance :v:
The last time we died in combat was eight books ago¹. And I think the last time combat was actually reasonably balanced¹ was right before we picked up the Sommerswerd in book 2. Everything since then has just been swinging wildly between "pointlessly easy" and "ridiculously hard".

¹ Not counting Grey Star's or Elkamo Doko's adventures.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

anakha posted:

Take Cynxa.

Question though: why is everyone voting Cynxa?
Zaaryxa "protects against the power of Death", and Death seems like a worse threat than "Darkness and Right-Handed Magic"...?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

The_White_Crane posted:

Question though: why is everyone voting Cynxa?
Zaaryxa "protects against the power of Death", and Death seems like a worse threat than "Darkness and Right-Handed Magic"...?

My logic is is that this is like the Kai Weapon choice back in Book 21.

Sure, there's a sword that gives an additional +4, but that's only if the fight was underwater. That has happened exactly once in 9 New Order books to date. The other weapons didn't give as big a bonus, but they were theoretically useful in more situations (I still think we should have picked Valiance over Alema).

Darkness and Right-handed Magic seem like scenarios we would encounter more often, hence I think the armor that protects against that would be the most useful.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Pick Crocaryxa. We’ve faced death many times. Going mad would be far worse.

Use power strike when our CR is less than four.

quote:

nelson fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 29, 2019

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
Was vashna the darklord of death?

if so take zaaryxa

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

nelson posted:

Pick Crocaryxa. We’ve faced death many times. Going mad would be far worse.

anakha posted:

Runcible Cat posted:

Dead in the Deep posted:

Star Lynx's excitement shows when you draw forth your Drodarin-made weapon. In response, he unsheathes a magnificent sword of golden steel, balanced with an emerald studded hilt. The edge seems sharp and keen as it shimmers in the light.

"The Elder Magi named it Star-Ska," he says proudly. "It was crafted in the magical forge of Elzian and imbued with the magic of the Old Kingdom. The Elder Magi gave it to me as a gift for my victory over the Gorgoron horde, and it is a bane to their ilk. If you think it might be of some use for your own quest, I will loan it to you gladly. I would consider it an honour to fight with your weapon and you with mine."

Star-Ska is an exceptional weapon. If you fight using this Special Item, it will add +4 to your basic COMBAT SKILL, If used against Agarashi, it will double the damage you inflict. If you agree, exchange your Drodarin weapon for Star-Ska and modify your Action Chart accordingly.

Star Lynx wishes you luck before leaving the armoury. Blazer, who has nothing quite so impressive to offer nevertheless catches your eye and smiles, before saluting you and wishing you good luck also.

You return to your chambers to don your guildsman's clothes and try on your Nyxator Mail before enjoying an excellent meal prepared especially by the Loyal Cooks - the non-Kai Sommlending who are allowed to work inside the Monastery. When the time comes, you check your equipment for a final time before hurrying to the parade ground where the Comet awaits you. Lord Rimoah's wondrous skyship hovers above the gravel of the courtyard where Supreme Master Lone Wolf awaits you. He expresses the wish that the next time you meet, you will be accompanied by Grand Master Steel Hand, then simply bids you good luck and good hunting before letting you embark. As you climb aboard, you are met by Lord Rimoah who bows at your arrival. Lord Rimoah salutes when you step aboard.

The hum of the Comet's magical engines rise steadily in pitch, and you turn to have a final look at the Monastery. In the courtyard, Lone Wolf watches your steady ascent with the same resolute calm from which you have drawn strength many times.

Once clear of the towers, you watch Lord Rimoah set a northerly course as he passes the helm to Bo'sun Durin, the son of one of the Dwarven crewmen who accompanied the Supreme Master and Guildmaster Banedon decades ago. Stepping down to the deck he offers the condolences of the High Council of the Elder Magi for your loss before turning to business. "We are not bound for the Maakengorge, Braveheart," he says in a hushed voice. "At least, not directly. The skies of Emolyria are now said to be patrolled by the greatest swarm of Kraan since the Darklands War. You will have to reach the ruins on foot, by way of the kingdom of Lyris. I have set a course for the capital, Varetta. We will not be able to stay for long, the presence of the Comet would surely betray us to spies. You should disembark in the Varettian hills. You will need to enter the city alone, and unseen. In Varetta, Gwynian and the Sages of Varetta are waiting for you in the Halls of Learning. They will help prepare your trip to the Maakengorge. Banedon will join you there. As I speak, the Brotherhood's new skyship fleet awaits, above the town of Ruanon in Southern Sommerlund."

The name Gwynian is well known to you. He has proven a great aid to Lone Wolf and the New Order on many occasions, and his skills as an astrologer are legendary. He foretold of the dangers of the Maakengorge decades ago. You could not wish for a better counsellor, and new faith swells in your chest. The knowledge that the entire fleet of the Brotherhood of the Crystal Star shall be at your disposal is at once relieving and alarming.

"I hope to take this time to prepare you for your own quest better than we did for Steel Hand," Lord Rimoah continues. "Lone Wolf and I believe his psychic powers may have led to his discovery."

"Pardon my Lord," you interject, "but Steel Hand is skilled in Mindblend, one of the ablest among the New Order."

The ancient magician fixes you with his patient eyes. "Let us consider that it is possible he was detected by one whose powers eclipse that of a Kai Grand Master. One whose hatred of them is unmatched."

"The spirit of Vashna?" you say with some bewilderment. "With respect, Supreme Master Lone Wolf foiled his hopes of escape more than once, and without many of the skills that Steel Hand now possesses."

But Rimoah's eyes have lost their patient humour, and the smirk falls from your lips. "The Darklord's spirit was unable to detect your mentor in the past, but Vashna's power has grown with the Maakengorge itself," Rimoah says solemnly. "It is a wound wreaked upon the flesh of Magnamund by the vengeful hand of the Dark God Naar himself. Nothing grows within miles of the Chasm of Doom, the land itself tainted by the power of the King of the Darkness. The Zaut wasteland which surrounds the ruins of Emolyria and lines the Chasm of Doom has remained a dead place where only Agarashi can thrive. Yes, the High Council remains certain that Vashna's body was destroyed when the Sommerswerd struck its killing blow. But his spirit remains bound to that chasm ever since. Tied to the very power from which he originated, from the essence of Naar which taints the land at Maakengorge. Vashna was cunning, Braveheart. He had foretold his own destruction, and prepared the means for rebirth in the form of the Dagger of Vashna, binding a fragment of his soul to its blade, sparing him damnation at his maker's hand. If the last of his soul were to be released from the blade, or if a body powerful enough to welcome him were provided, he may yet escape. Until that time, he and the chasm are one. As it extends, so his power grows.

"So, as soon as I reach the Maakengorge," you say, "I may be discovered by the spirit of the greatest of the Darklords?"

"That is a possibility, my lady," he says, and you feel a potent Mindforce attempting to prise open your thoughts.

"Both you and Steel Hand are imbued with Kai powers that may readily be detected. Your formidable skills could alert Vashna to your presence in his domain. I must be certain you are able to hide, even from him."

You are taken aback by light gathering within the old magician's eyes.

Lord Rimoah is testing you with the full weight of his Elder Magi powers, and you hastily erect your Mindblend, then your Mindfort to stop him. But the magical skills of the Elder Magi are insidious and cunning. Rimoah would not harm you, nor is he capable of reading your mind, your psychic defences being too great for him to Overcome. But you cannot hide the goodly aura of your soul from such a skilled magician. You resolve to use the ultimate level of your Kai mental defences to make a false impression of yourself. Rimoah suddenly stops and smiles.

"The Kai never cease to surprise me. With such skill, you should be able to infiltrate the ruins and remain undetected, even from the spirit of Vashna, if our worst fears prove true."

From a box tucked under his arm, Rimoah draws a platinum disc strung on a length of braided cord.

"I fear, however, that Steel Hand will have not yet mastered such exceptional skill. If you are to have any hope of aiding his escape, he shall need this. It possesses a power that should hide him from Vashna's vengeful spirit."

You take the offered amulet from Rimoah's palm. (Record this Platinum Amulet as a Backpack Item on your Action Chart.) You shall give it to Grand Master Steel Hand if you find him. If you already possess such a Platinum Amulet yourself, you can keep this Special Item around your neck, as Lord Rimoah reminds you that it is capable of powerful elemental protections.

You should have no trouble entering Emolyria undetected but be careful Braveheart, the ruins play host to more than the Acolytes of Vashna. Other creatures are sure to infest it, awaiting their master's resurrection," Lord Rimoah says. "Hiding from them shall not be easy. I know you have had little time to truly rest and recover from your confrontation with Zashnor and his minions in Dwala, but by the grace of Ishir we should arrive in Lyris in three days, so take this time to rest and meditate on what is to come. I am available for counsel day and night."

The days pass slowly as Magnamund drifts beneath you. In the afternoon of the first day you cross over Shadaki, the city's skies safe since Grey Star's victory over the Kitaezi Shamans. The Sadi Desert lingers under you for much of the second, enveloped in a diffuse haze, until you cross over the Tentarias. By the morning of the third day, the Slovarian Plains flow beneath you like a mottled green sea as you enter the Stornlands, the rich and turbulent region of Central Magnamund where Lyris awaits. The mightiest kings and the pettiest princelings have warred over these feudal territories for centuries, enriching the mercenaries that feast on the carrion of unceasing conflict. The people have always paid the price -in raids, hunger, and sickness. Abused by distant and uncaring liege lords - this, Lord Rimoah explains, is the cause of the Acolytes of Vashna's resurgence. A willing pool of pain to bend to their will, despite the best efforts of the Varettian Sages to enlighten the people and their lords.

"The cult of Vashna is more brazen in its recruitment than ever, and the Acolytes seem to have abandoned discretion entirely," the old magician says, his face grim. "It is as if their Great Elders seem interested in numbers alone. But for what purpose? An army could not do as much harm as their hidden agents have done in the past. They seem to be congregating all of the faithful in Emolyria. You shall need to discover their plans while you search for Steel Hand."

As twilight rises upon the horizon, the Comet slows to a halt over a range of gentle wooded hills. As you gather your equipment, Lord Rimoah tells you that you are ten miles northeast of Varetta, and that the Comet will fly north to Sommerlund to join Guildmaster Banedon's fleet as soon as you depart.

"Banedon will also be on his way overland to Varetta. He is travelling under a secret identity. With luck, he will arrive at the Halls of Learning when you do." He cups your hand in both of his own; "May Kai and Ishir be with you, my lady, always," he intones gravely.

A rope ladder is dropped over the ship's side, and you hurry down it, setting out across the hills, untroubled by the darkness. You march throughout the night, and before long you are rounding a knoll to uncover the first sight of the city of Varetta. Built upon the massive Cynx Plateau in the midst of a grassy plain, this ancient city is doubly impressive for its immense walls of carved red stone, covered in images of winding dragons that writhe along the length of the city's battlements, flowing from countless spires to redoubtable bastions.

A grand highway leads to the city, the very same followed by Lone Wolf on his famous ride from Varetta to Casiorn twenty-five years ago during his return to Sommerlund - to break the siege of the Kai Monastery by the Lavas of Naar. For centuries this road has been followed by countless merchant caravans en route to the Lastlands or the Stornlands. Today you only spot companies of men-at-arms heading for Varetta in search of a new paymaster.

As you approach the east gate, you can make out several breaches in the perimeter wall, split open by the earthquakes that rocked Casiorn as the Maakengorge expanded. Men are still hard at work repairing the damage, and you feel a swell of national pride at the sight of a purple flag fluttering on the scaffolding bearing the twin emblems of a sun and wagon wheel - the device of the Guildsmen of Sommerlund, sent to aid the city's rebuilding.

Two men wearing the scarlet and crossed-sword tabards of the city guard are channelling the flow of travellers. You look back and see other companies of mercenaries climbing the highway to reach the plateau behind you, intrigued by their sheer number. Your thoughts are interrupted by the loud bellows of a band of men-at-arms close behind you, each bearing an emblem of circle and a star engraved upon their conical steel helms.

You recognise the emblem these warriors bear. They hail from the land of Eldenora, known for its turbulent governance and belligerent imperialism. Many Eldenorans are famed for their intolerance of others and, as a result, are themselves seldom welcome as houseguests across Magnamund.

The approaching warriors chant "Mighty Duadon", the doleful marching song that serves as the Eldenoran national anthem. It is sure to cause offence to the locals, given that Lord Vandyan had besieged the city of Varetta in the year MS 5083 at the head of an army of Agarashi abominations. His wicked hordes conquered the surrounding nations and surrounded the plateau, forcing the Kai to intervene in defence of their allies. The Eldenorans perpetrated hundreds of atrocities in the occupied territories, especially in southern Lyris, and the Varettians have long memories.

You fully expect an impasse, for the guard to deny these men access to the city, perhaps even to arrest them, but you watch with surprise as they are waved through without the slightest concern. Lyris must be desperate for manpower if they have sunk to employing their former enemies.

You cross the East Gate unchallenged, the guardsmen waving you through into the broad streets beyond. All around you window shutters are being thrown open as the Varettians within awaken to a new day, filling the air with the scents of breakfast and brewing jala which wafts temptingly from shop windows. Your hunger is suppressed by what awaits you in the plaza ahead.

A scaffold has been erected, and a man reads off a list of crimes. A public execution is about to take place. Ignoring the crier for a moment, you notice many of the mercenaries are leaving the square north along a street that a sign proclaims to be Helin Way. You remember Lord Rimoah telling you that the Halls of Learning can be found on Brass Street in the city's western district, meaning that Coachcourse, the road directly across the square, is the shortest route.
  1. Do we make the trade with Star Lynx?
  2. Our backpack is full, so we'll need to drop something to make room for Steel Hand's amulet.
  3. Should we go north into Helin Way or west onto Coachcourse?

Star-Ska: +4 CS; double damage to Agarashi.
    vs.
    Sunderer: +5 CS.

For reference:
    Alema: +4 CS normally or +6 CS vs. undead.
    Andarin Warhammer: +5 CS

Backpack:
  1. Flute
  2. Potion of Klorva (+6 EP)
  3. Potion of Laumspur (+4 EP)
  4. Karmo (Doubles your ENDURANCE points score for the duration of combat. After consuming Karmo, pick a number from the Random Number Table. The number you choose determines how many ENDURANCE points you lose as a consequence of the side effects (0 = zero).)
  5. Tazheng (a powerful anti-venom)
  6. Potion of Laumspur (+4 EP)
  7. Poghlam
  8. Andui Flask
  9. Potion of Alether (+2 CS)
  10. Drodarin Bag of Holding (+5 Backpack Spaces)
  11. Potion of Ashexa Concentrate (+6 EP)
  12. Tincture of Sabito root
  13. Potion of Oxydine (+2 EP or cure Korovax)
  14. Potion of Laumspur (+4 EP)
  15. Rope

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Grab Skarn-Ska, drop Sabito root, head down Helin Way.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Grab Skarn-Ska, drop Poghlam, head down Helin Way.

The_White_Crane fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 29, 2019

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The_White_Crane posted:

Can someone remind me what "Poghlam" is? Maybe we can drop that?

Also Tiggum, more people voted for Cynxa than Crocaryxa.
The poghlam is some powder that we picked up in Vampirium (book 27) that offers some kind of non-specific protection from evil. And the way votes work in this thread is I pick a person at random and whatever they said is what happens. It's to incentivise people to vote even if their choice is unpopular because this way it might still win, but more popular choices are still more likely. If there are multiple decisions to make then I pick a different person for each one.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Oh, I didn't actually know that was how you were doing votes. :downs:
And in that case, I'm gonna edit my vote to have us ditch the Poghlam, because I'm very doubtful that will come up again.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

achtungnight posted:

Grab Skarn-Ska, drop Sabito root, head down Helin Way.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The_White_Crane posted:

Oh, I didn't actually know that was how you were doing votes. :downs:
I said it right at the start, but that was over two years ago now so it's not surprising for anyone to forget. And I have occasionally done it differently - mostly for votes on what happens when we die.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Trade for Star-Ska - If we need +5 bonus, we can always use the LAZ0R HAMM3R.

In fact, I propose a new rule for this book: Use the hammer in all fights unless we're fighting undead (use Alema) or Agarashi (use Star-ska).

Drop the Poghlam.

Coachcourse Street is the leftmost route, so :goleft:.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

anakha posted:

In fact, I propose a new rule for this book: Use the hammer in all fights unless we're fighting undead (use Alema) or Agarashi (use Star-ska).

That's what I've been doing already anyway. :ssh:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

nelson posted:

Grab Skarn Star-Ska

achtungnight posted:

head down Helin Way.

Dead in the Deep posted:

Helin Way is crowded with a diverse collection of mercenaries from across the continent. A Kloon city crier yells announcements in a thin, reedy voice, from his perch on a high wooden platform. You are appalled to learn that the Republic of Magador marched to war with Lyris three days ago, that the Magadorian army crossed the Storn Bridge, east of Vakovar, and have seized the town of Karkaste. You assume this is without warning or an official declaration of war. The crier screams that the town of Helin, this street's namesake, has been billeted by the Lyrisian army, and that "King Konral XII is eager to prove his mettle, and is offering every warrior willing to fight under his banner a generous salary."

Concerned by the news, you use your sharpened hearing to gauge the reactions of all the mercenaries around you. You hear scoffs at the alleged 'salary' offered by the King of Lyris, whispers that the Magadorian commander, Marshal Vorgada, is offering mountains of gold from the Zalbor mines, and curses too at the mention of the Marshal's name. Rumours flow through the hubbub that the Magadorians are allied with Ogian Drakkarim, who slaughtered most of Karkaste's people. Ever since the Darklands War, even the corrupt mercenaries of the Stornlands have refused to ally with the forces of darkness - whatever the payment.

Not all the Stornlands mercenary companies are so scrupulous. Some are saying the Magadorians march with a vanguard of brutal home-grown mercenaries, with stories of terrible war-beasts and sorcerous weapons looted from the Darklands. It seems the northern Lyrisian countryside is about to become a dangerous place indeed.

"I hear tell they're roamin' the hills around Helin. They say they're abducting the farmers and sendin' em somewhere. Nobody knows where. Worse, I heard that it's like the land itself is starting to rot. That nothing will grow there no more. Reminds me o' the battle o' Silent Valley from back in the Darklands War..." an old Deldenian veteran complains.

Leaving the mercenaries behind, you resolve to reach the Halls of Learning as quickly as possible - the situation in Lyris is deteriorating, and you will need to act fast. As you turn into an adjacent street you are confronted with a crowded thoroughfare paved with red granite cobblestones leading to the southwest, and to a nearby park overflowing with a riot of golden, pink and red flowers; marked by a high tower of grey stone, studded with a spectacular weave of brambles and vines. Two tall, slender men, clad in greenish leather mantles that reach their ankles, with beards nearly as long, stand by the door, hands resting on their silver sickles. These men are Herbwarden Hunters from the Plenary of Bautar, and this tower must be an enclave of their order.

Should we enter the tower or pass it by?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Investigate the interesting thing.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Say hey to the Herbwardens. :420:

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

anakha posted:

Investigate the interesting thing.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

achtungnight posted:

Say hey to the Herbwardens. :420:

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Hey dudes, nice tower, mind if we check if for loot?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Dead in the Deep posted:

The two intimidating Herbwarden Hunters notice your Sommlending guildsman's tunic and step aside wordlessly. You enter into a beautiful chamber, covered in the same greenery as the exterior, and a carpet of moss cushions your feet. The air is filled with the sound of small songbirds, and blue lamps give the light a softness. An old Herbalish sits with his long beard settled upon a desk studded with green buds seemingly carved from a living tree stump. He welcomes you as you enter, and to your surprise enquires what a Kai might be looking for here in the Lyrisian headquarters of the Purifiers of the Reclaimed Wastelands, especially since the recent wars have put the project on hold. Unable to contain vour surprise, you ask what it was that gave you away. "The Herbwardens of Bautar have many means of knowing friend from foe."

After the fall of the Darklords of Helgedad in MS 5070, the Elder Magi of Dessi, the Herbwardens of Bautar and the Brotherhood of the Crystal Star undertook a joint mission to restore life and fertility to the volcanic wastelands north of the Maakengorge. They were protected by volunteers from the armies of Sommerlund, Lyris, and Magador, and it was the first unified but tentative step towards the reclamation of all the Darklands. Despite their successes, their progress was slow. It would take not years, but centuries, to undo the harm caused by the Darklords, and counter to their expectations, the inhabitants of the Darklands had not driven themselves to extinction with civil wars after the fall of the Darklords. The reclamation slowed even more with the assassination of President Kadharian of Magador and ceased altogether when his replacement, Marshal Luthos Vorgada, allied himself with the Drakkarim of Ogia and closed the borders of Magador thus breaking the alliance with the Freelands, and leaving the purifiers unable to use the overland route through that country.

"We kept this enclave alive in Varetta, in the hope that one day we might be able to use the route across the Zandzendod Mountains again. But now, the headquarters of our Sommlending allies in the Iron Hills has been destroyed, and I fear that this accursed desert will never know life again," the Bautarian says with a gentle sigh.

You ask if he is aware of the local operations of the Acolytes of Vashna and he snaps that only a blind man could miss them, blaming the princes of the Stornlands for their swelling numbers. With another sigh, he apologises for his rudeness and rubs at his temples with weather-beaten fingers.

"Our Hunters have confirmed that the Cener Druids of Ruel are among their number. It's unsurprising really when you consider that the Acolytes' last known leader, that accursed Cadak, was himself the Arch Druid of the Cenerese. Alas, the rulers of Lyris seem disinclined to allow us to hunt them ourselves," he adds bitterly.

When you mention that you may have to deal with the Acolytes and their Cenerese allies, he brightens noticeably, sliding two vials across the desk to you. He explains that they are Bautarian Antitoxin, a formula continually being improved by his order to counter most common diseases and poisons, particularly the lesser sorcerous plagues of their Cener enemies, that have been spread intentionally to help drive people to the cult of Vashna.

Each vial contains enough for 2 doses. In addition, he offers to sell you the following medicines and alchemical compounds:
  • Potion of Alether: 5 Gold Crowns. Adds 2 COMBAT SKILL for the duration of one combat.
  • Potion of Malavan: 6 Gold Crowns. Increases the effect of Mindblast, Psi-surge and Kai-surge, by adding 2 COMBAT SKILL for the duration of one combat.
  • Rendalim's Elixir: 7 Gold Crowns. Restores 6 ENDURANCE when swallowed at any time.
  • Volko Berry Concentrate: 7 Gold Crowns. This catalyst speeds up magical reactions between substances.
  • Potion of Ghilev: 4 Gold Crowns. Induces sleep in humans and animals when ingested.
  • Powder of Obhanthor: 6 Gold Crowns. This healing spice restore 5 ENDURANCE points per dose when eaten with a Meal.
You bid him good day and leave the Grey Tower by crossing the flowered park.

Beyond the park, a street paved with white gravel leads to the tallest building in the city by far, the Tower of the King. Through the courtyard entrance, you spot a grand building whose brick and marble façade is adorned with the words 'Halls of Learning'. As you approach, passing a bubbling fountain, you are stopped by three brown-robed scholars.

"Welcome to Varetta's Halls of Learning, Grand Master," says the youngest and shortest of the trio, his thick eye glasses giving his face the overall appearance of an enormous insect. "I am Solain Gavalandro," he adds with a bow, "I am a mathematician and an astrologer, my lady. Do not fear, we have been expecting your coming for some time. In fact, we followed your approach across our beloved city and would have sent assistance if you had... well, if
you had lost your way, and..."

"I was supposed to meet the High Solain Gwynian in person. Would you three gentlemen be kind enough to escort me to him personally?" you ask, cutting him short. You feel uneasy. Can you trust anyone that would announce your true identity openly, in the middle of a public courtyard?

A look of remorse crosses the face of the young scholar and his comrades. "My lady, we must inform you Master Gwynian's condition has worsened of late. He cannot leave his bedroom. Perhaps we..."

He is interrupted a second time as the silhouette of an old man appears in the doorway, stepping up quickly beside Gavalandro, nodding and smiling knowingly. You recognize the figure instantly: it is an apparition of Gwynian the Sage, a projection of his spirit-self from another location-one of the astrologer's favourite tricks.

"Welcome, Braveheart," Gwynian says. "We must have words, you and I."

"But High Solain ..." Gavalandro whines.

"This is not a request, Solain Gavalandro. I must speak in private with our illustrious guest, the same woman, I might add, who saved our beloved city while you were still a daydreaming youth. Continue the preparations and await the arrival of our other friend. And ensure that he is punctual. The stars indicate that our timing is crucial."

The apparition turns toward you. "Braveheart, if you'll come this way."

You follow him along the white gravelled path which leads to a sign, hanging over a richly-carved oak door that simply reads 'Library'. You enter the cool interior, impressed by the many thousands of books lining its thick stone shelves. The apparition does not linger and ushers you through a series of corridors to a staircase. After climbing many floors, the ghostly figure stops before a door set in a wide archway before abruptly vanishing.

You find the door unlocked, and enter a spacious bedroom lined with bookshelves and stellar maps, illuminated by a single, floating ball of light. A thin silhouette slowly sits upright upon the small bed, with some difficulty. You feel your pulse quicken as you realise this frail figure is Gwynian himself. Your friend has aged far more in the flesh.

"It has been so long since last we met my lady," he says with a trembling voice. "Please, be troubled not by my appearance. Sit! Sit! We must talk, you and I."

The full weight of Gwynian's age moves you. Here sits another living legend of Magnamund. He who was the architect of victory for the New Order Kai during the siege of MS 5077. Each time the Acolytes of Vashna's plots threatened peace, he was there to assist Lone Wolf, and to thwart their schemes. Much like your master, he was the sole survivor of his own order when agents of the Darklords burned the first Halls of Learning in MS 5059, later he reformed the order with patience and no small courage. You rush forward to help as he straightens himself with trembling arms, as thin as willow branches, leaning heavily against the headboard. You feel your heart ache, but he gently waves away your concerns, wincing at the discomfort of his aging joints. He must be a century old at least, sustaining himself with his astral skills alone, and you inwardly applaud him for making the effort to welcome and assist you.

"Do not be downcast, my friend," Gwynian says gently, with a comforting smile. "My work has not come to its end. Gwynian can still be of some use! Moreover, I must make amends after the regrettable capture of Grand Master Steel Hand."

His voice tremulous with fatigue, yet filled with the same old conviction, Gwynian explains that your fellow Grand Master came to the Halls of Learning less than two weeks ago and that he also requested the help of the Sages of Varetta.

"At that time, I was certain our enemies were plotting another attempt to resurrect their dark master," Gwynian says. "Through astral meditation my fellow astrologers and I were able to guide Steel Hand safely to the ruins of Emolyria. Thankfully, our spiritual projections are different from those generated by your own psychic powers, and we were undetected by the horrors that haunt that ruin. We even sensed that Steel Hand was able to achieve some great victory there, only to be captured. Alas, we have been unable to establish precisely how he was detected and overpowered. More disturbing yet, our enemies continue to occupy Emolyria as if nothing untoward has occurred."

A detail bothers you, which echoes Lone Wolf's own misgivings. "High Solain, you doubt that Vashna's resurrection is the goal pursued at the Maakengorge?"

"Precisely, my lady. What is at stake in Emolyria is perhaps more terrible. Grand Master, during the past few nights the stars have shown me a new threat, deadlier even than the former Archlord of the Darklands himself. Something that could seal the fate of Magnamund! You must travel to Emolyria in turn and achieve what Steel Hand could not. The agents of darkness have patiently established there, at the gates of the Stornlands, a gigantic fortress. We felt it as we watched over your fellow Grand Master; I fear too that they are still performing this terrible ritual, which must be stopped at any cost."

Gwynian's voice grows weaker. "I pray you, my Lady, return to the Library and discuss these matters with Gavalandro. He may not appear so, but he is the most capable astrologer I have seen in many years and has trained in these halls since they were raised anew. He will guide you on how our order can aid your quest and on Guildmaster Banedon's diversion of.... Oh, and one last matter!"

Gwynian produces a small scroll of parchment from his robes and hands it to you. "This is the last augury the stars were ready to gift me, just this last night. I have been unable to interpret it, but I am certain it relates to the New Order Kai."
    Upon the scroll, written in flowing verse:

Long ago within a sunny realm arose
    A Warrior and a Magician, set by fate opposed
    One, selfless protector of his kin
    The other, damned and banished for his sin
    If hate be unwound, and buried their grievance
    Changed forever shall be the great balance
    For one, an eternal kingdom enshrined
    The other, eternal freedom for mankind
Disquieted by the scroll's message, you turn to ask Gwynian what his thoughts are, only to see he has fallen asleep (you may record Gwynian's Scroll as a Special Item on your Action Chart). Preferring to let him rest, you quietly bid him farewell, and slip quietly from the bedchamber.

When you descend to the main hall of the library, it is crowded with young scholars. You are quickly intercepted by Gavalandro, who hurriedly ushers you into an adjoining chamber, where floating balls of light illuminate a stone table, covered with scrolls and maps. Behind it, you see the figure of Guildmaster Banedon, accompanied by an escort of elite Wizards from the Brotherhood of the Crystal Star. Your allies have arrived sooner than expected.

"Well met, Braveheart! Our timing is fortuitous indeed" says Banedon with a grin. "I must congratulate you on your victory in Chai even if our current predicament does not quite lend itself to celebration. May I introduce my escort?"

You thank the ageing Guildmaster, your mentor's closest friend and the man with whom he has shared the greatest of adventures for over fifty years. He presents the distinguished magicians that accompany him, all recently appointed members of the Brotherhood's High Council of Elders. While you make introductions, Gavalandro and several other Sages of Varetta enter, shutting the door behind them.

"Now that our noble company is complete, I propose we start," says Gavalandro, unfurling a map of northern Lyris. "Let me present the situation as it stands, my lords¹. Beyond the Quarlen Range stretches the barren wasteland known as the Zaut." The young astrologer points to the southern edge of the scar representing the Maakengorge.

"To the north of the Zaut lie the ruins of the ancient city of Emolyria. The 'New Varetta' as it was nicknamed in the ballads, the jewel of the Golden Vale, its splendour unrivalled by any..."

"Kindly get to the point, honourable Solain," interrupts Lady Jhudyth, a proud magician with silver-white hair. "Lessons in history will avail us nothing, nor will they hasten the return of Grand Master Steel Hand."

Gavalandro does not lose his composure but redoubles his speech. "Nobly spoken, my Lady. Since the opening of the Maakengorge, the Zaut has been haunted by an Agarashi host released from the Underworld. Their ranks have been depleted across the centuries, but there are still hundreds of Creatures of Darkness roaming in the vicinity. Emolyria has become the epicentre of their occupation, leading us to conclude that they have allied themselves with the Acolytes of Vashna who themselves have settled in their thousands in Emolyria.

I can scarce imagine what kind of loathsome pact the Acolytes have struck, but an Agarashi swarm thus stands between us and Steel Hand's prison," states Guildmaster Banedon, grimly.

"Indeed, Guildmaster," says Gavalandro with a nod, "nor are they alone. A sizeable Darklands force has joined with the Acolytes. They are busy fortifying the ruins as we speak. More concerning still, they were met by an immense swarm of Kraan that arrived just after Steel Hand entered their lair - the skies above the region are now regularly patrolled, and no one could possibly reach Emolyria on foot without being detected and consumed. Well, no one except perhaps a Kai Grand Master of course, with your pardon, my Lady."

Nodding at the politeness, you inquire "How was it that Steel Hand was able to bypass such defences? Even without the Kraan, the enemy seems well entrenched."

"He is a Kai, my Lady! And they are but the Agarashi of the Zaut. All he lacked was the capacity to predict their reactions. We were able to give him a little help in this regard," he adds with a proud smile. "As you all know, we astrologers can project our spirit-selves, and the most skilled seers can even predict the immediate future. We tracked Steel Hand and were able to warn him of approaching Agarashi, or when his path seemed to lead toward inevitable doom."

"So how was he captured?" Jhudyth asks, bitterly. The smile slides from Gavalandro's face.

"The closer he came to the Maakengorge, the weaker our projections became. The Chasm of Doom is a touch of the Dark God on Magnamund. Its mere presence disturbs our link with the stars. While Steel Hand remained in Emolyria, we could still feel and follow him, but no longer could we warn him. Our enemies have been busy burrowing underground facilities also; so by the time he reached the deepest levels the darkness had grown to the extent that we could see him no longer."

"And you claim that you can find him, even now?" demands Banedon.

"Not precisely, but yes, Guildmaster," Gavalandro says. "He is alive. But there is something exceptional about the place where he is imprisoned. As if he were there and yet in another place, beyond the fabric of Aon. Reality itself is being distorted in the Maakengorge. Such a thing is unique if it be true!"

Gavalandro meets your gaze with a strange excitement, as if on the edge of hysteria. "And there is worse still, Grand Master. For the past several days, Hemet, the Star of Chaos, has begun to flare alarmingly, obscuring other stars upon whose movements our projections rely. We will not be able to guide you as directly as Steel Hand. If possible, we will still send you signs, but regrettably, we will be unable to do more. If you find Steel Hand and escape, however, we will know it, and will send a party to assist."

This news does little to relieve your misgivings.

"Worry not, Braveheart," Banedon says upon seeing your concern. "You will not depart unprepared. Solain Gavalandro and his fellows should be able to provide far more information than they could to Steel Hand - did you not follow Grand Master Steel Hand as he ventured into the heart of the enemy stronghold?"

"I did indeed, Guildmaster. Even if I failed to protect him in the end, I accompanied Steel Hand as far as I could," Gavalandro says, his cocksure tone suddenly diminished.

"So you saw, or at least felt, every place he visited? Have you committed them to memory?" you ask. Gavalandro nods and Banedon steps over to him. Without a word, the Guildmaster reaches out and touches the temples of the young mathematician with the first two fingers of each of his
hands.

"You have an able mind, Gavalandro," Banedan says approvingly, "now I understand why Gwynian thinks so highly of you. Thanks to your memory, we shall have what Steel Hand did not."

Banedon reaches out with his arms, whispering the incantation of a greater Brotherhood Spell, and from the thin air between the Guildmaster's fingers, a living, three dimensional vision of Emolyria's ruins springs into being. Your gaze wanders down a ghostly series of tunnels and pits, weaving deeper and deeper through a network of gigantic caverns until it comes to the very depths of the Maakengorge, miles below the surface.

"It's gigantic!" whispers Jhudyth. "It must be as large as any of the old Darklands city-fortresses."

"Which passed our notice, for months, or rather years," Banedon adds, darkly. "They constructed this right under our noses and started perhaps even before the pilgrimage of the Acolytes. At last, we understand why they abandoned Nadgazad. A new citadel for the Archlord."

Banedon's vision focuses in on a network of intricate narrow tunnels at the deepest levels. "Here. Gavalandro's memory seems to fail us in this precise spot. Yet I am sure this is where Steel Hand is captive. Contrary to our last attempt, the defenders of Emolyria will have other concerns, Braveheart," Banedon says confidently. "The Brotherhood will be able to clear the road, possibly up to the very walls of the city. By Ishir's grace, they will overlook a single individual capable of blending into the background!"

The Guildmaster explains that the Brotherhood's skyship fleet will launch an assault on Emolyria's defences using the full might of their magic in a few days. The vanguard will attract the Kraan swarm to the peaks of the Southern Durncrags, where other crews will ambush them. The Brotherhood will also prepare a surprise on the southern edge of the Maakengorge. This should attract the attention of the Agarashi of the Zaut, who will be lured into the chasm, and draw the eyes of Emolyria's masters outside of their walls.

"This is certain to be a terrible battle - many Brothers and crewmen may die," whispers Banedon. "But the Brotherhood has gathered enough power..." he pauses, locking eyes angrily with Lady Jhudyth, "...to prevail."
  1. Do we take one or both vials of Bautarian Antitoxin?
  2. Do we buy anything from the Herbwardens?
  3. If we're picking up any new Backpack Items, what do we drop to make room?
  4. Should we ask what's got Banedon so angry or stay out of it?

¹ Even though there is explicitly at least one woman present in the original text, Gavalandro addresses the entire group as "my lords", so I left it as is.

Belt Pouch (money)
  • 42 Gold Crowns
  • 8 Nobles
    Backpack:
  1. Flute
  3. Potion of Laumspur (+4 EP)
  4. Karmo (Doubles your ENDURANCE points score for the duration of combat. After consuming Karmo, pick a number from the Random Number Table. The number you choose determines how many ENDURANCE points you lose as a consequence of the side effects (0 = zero).)
  7. Platinum Amulet
  8. Andui Flask
  12. Tincture of Sabito root
  14. Potion of Laumspur (+4 EP)
  15. Rope

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Take both anti-toxins.
Drop Sabito and Flask.
Go ahead and ask why Banedon is angry.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

banedon got chunky

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

banedon got chunky

He's no spring chicken anymore for sure, lol.

nelson posted:

Take both anti-toxins.
Drop Sabito and Flask.

This, plus drink two Laumspur and buy Volko and Ghilev.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

nelson posted:

Take both anti-toxins.
Drop Sabito and Flask.

This. Also, doesn't drinking Laumspur do nothing when we're at full Endurance?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

achtungnight posted:

doesn't drinking Laumspur do nothing when we're at full Endurance?
Correct.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

anakha posted:

Take both anti-toxins.
Drop Sabito and Flask.

Plus drink drop two Laumspur and buy Volko and Ghilev.

Dead in the Deep posted:

"Nothing of your immediate concern, Braveheart. Rest assured the Magicians' Guild will not fail in our mission. The Elder Council is just engaged in a debate of a philosophical nature."

Lady Jhudyth interjects, her lips drawn into a pursed smile, "What the honourable Guildmaster means is that he wishes to deprive the Freelands of a weapon that could annihilate the forces of Evil."

"Studying the Black Arts, even with the best of intentions, is a sure path to our corruption, Jhudyth. Did you learn nothing from the fall of Vonotar the Traitor?" retorts Banedon.

"We are no fools Guildmaster. You, yourself created many of the same defences we use in our studies of the Right-handed Path. It permits the casting of many spells of destruction, and with the new learning we have undertaken, we would simply replicate it within the Left-handed Path. And thus have a decisive ability to unmake the armies of darkness at will!"

"Such spells are corrupting in and of themselves, even if used with Left-handed methods. And we remain uncertain if our protections are even sufficient against the Black Arts," Banedon responds, tiredly.

"The coming battle will prove our point Guildmaster," Jhudyth says, her voice now cold. A chill passes over you as you realise that the Brotherhood has the power, if not yet the willingness, to incinerate Emolyria entirely should you fail. "You will have need of our aid if you plan to prevail over the Kraan swarm and their Vordak Lord commanders."

"Time will tell, Lady Jhudyth, but in the meantime, if I suspect even the slightest transgression among your followers, be in no doubt, I shall throw you into the Shadow Gate of Toran myself. Vonotar nearly brought our kingdom to ruin, and I will be rightly damned if I allow one of his ilk to return."

"As you wish, Guildmaster. We shall not disappoint. We will call upon our new powers only when ordered. Victory is certain to be ours," Lady Jhudyth says, but you sense the matter is far from resolved.

The Guildmaster reminds all present that timing will be crucial. His fleet will launch their diversion only when you are close to the ruins of Emolyria. Gavalandro and his fellow astrologers will coordinate the strike. Banedon's group will move north to the Varettian Hills, where a skyship awaits them. From there they will fly to the Doom Falls to join the Brotherhood fleet and Lord Rimoah's Comet. Meanwhile, you will set off to the Zaut, 150 miles to the north, on a horse furnished by the Halls of Learning. Once there, Gavalandro will signal the launch of Banedon's attack through an astral projection, and with luck, the path into Emolyria will be clear.

"A final warning Grand Master," Gavalandro says. "The road to the Zaut is more dangerous than usual. The Republic of Magador invaded the northwestern border of Lyris several days ago, and threaten the town of Helin, which lies between you and the Zaut. The King has been forced to withdraw troops that guarded the valley to reinforce Helin and is mustering a large mercenary army in Varetta to provide relief. The Principality of Helin may be assaulted at any moment, so you must hurry, Grand Master."

"Magador attacks just as Steel Hand is abducted. What fortunate coincidence for our enemies" Banedon remarks caustically. "Be careful, Braveheart. Lyris can hold the Magadorians at bay, but their new commander Marshal Vorgada did not hesitate to ally himself with the Drakkarim in the past. I only pray that he also is not in league with the Acolytes of Vashna."

"As you head north through Helin, Grand Master," Gavalandro continues, "you may seek the aid of our allies, the Nameless Order, a secret organisation founded by Gwynian and his late friend Cyrilus to undermine the power of the corrupted aristocracy of the Stornlands. A cell of the Nameless Order convenes in the cooperage of the Varettian Avenue there, and may be of some use."

A heavy silence marks the conclusion of the council, and you find all eyes on you. The gathered Brothers of the Crystal Star each bid you good luck in their turn, and the Guildmaster embraces you. Stepping forward from the darkness, a Sage holds open a box from which Gavalandro plucks a ring, before offering it to you. It is adorned with a small sphere, seemingly filled with a stretch of the jet black cosmos itself, lit inside by a single tiny star.

"These Celestial Rings have been wrought with our own arts, and linked to the very motions of the stars," Gavalandro says proudly, handing one to each of the magicians present. "The High Solain himself wrought them this past year, at great cost to his strength. Despite their power, they radiate no magical aura, and will not betray your presence to our enemies. They will help us to localize all of you whatever happens, my Lords¹. The agents of the Nameless Order will also recognize them."

You slip the ring carefully into your pocket (record this Celestial Ring as a Special Item on your Action Chart. You do not need to discard another item in its favour if you are already carrying the maximum number permissible). Then, with a flourish, Gavalandro reveals a parchment bearing the seal of King Konral XII, before handing it to you. He explains that this order will ensure your safe passage through the lands still patrolled by his army (mark this Royal Writ on your Action Chart as a Special Item you carry tucked inside your tunic. You do not need to discard another item in its favour.)

After the departure of the magicians, Gavalandro orders a special meal be brought to you, and boasts that the horse awaiting you is as fine as the Supreme Master's legendary mount, Wildwind.

Considering you are here in the halls of the famed astrologers of Varetta, it would be remiss to pass on an opportunity to expand your knowledge.² When Gavalandro brings a plate of cured meats, washed down with a fine wine from the Demera Quilt, you politely discuss his predictions and then ask if it would be possible to examine the devices used by the Sages. Gavalandro beams at the opportunity to show you and begins chattering about the traditions and methods of the order at once.

Leaving the quiet of your room, you almost regret your decision. But as the young sage opens the door to another chamber, you are astounded by the treasure trove within. Orreries, sextants, charts, globes, quadrants, and telescopes of every size and description litter the room. Gavalandro demonstrates some recent planetary models, and seeing that you understand their function, encourages you to take anything that might be of help in your quest:
  • Sextant
  • Astrolabe
  • Lunar Compass (always shows the direction of the Moon)
  • Telescope
  • Map of Constellations of the Northern Hemisphere of Magnamund
The time has come. Gavalandro leads you to a stable, where a strong, but otherwise seemingly ordinary horse named Burashos awaits. With a smile, he informs you Burashos was born under the celestial body of the same name, known as the Star of Courage by the Varettians, and is blessed.

"The High Solain still keeps a farm where he breeds Faersteeds imported from Ilion, but we felt such a mount would be sure to attract suspicion on your ride north. Burashos will serve you well, despite his plain appearance, you will find his strength and endurance unmatched."

Gently you move to Burashos' shoulder and slowly raise your hands to stroke the withers at the base of his long mane. Perceiving his remarkable poise, you move towards his head and gently blow on his muzzle. Burashos snorts back and calmly bows his head. Laying a hand on his cheek, you can sense the dignity and strength of this animal and any reservations you had are quickly dispelled. You mount Burashos and thank Gavalandro warmly. He raises a hand and watches in silence as you ride out from the courtyard of the Halls, heading north.

The carved eyes of the Dragon Nyxator watch from the Varettian walls as you push Burashos into a gallop, leaving behind a column of mercenaries also heading north. Gavalandro did not lie, Burashos' pace is a match for the chargers in the Kai Monastery.

You descend the Cynx Plateau, and by mid-afternoon, you are riding across the Varettian Hills. The highway twists and turns across the gentle hillsides, lush trees and golden flowers leave their perfume on the wind. You take a deep breath and marvel at the countryside before passing over the river Dax at the village of Vois, into the Principality of Helin. You are halted by a squad of Salonese mercenaries guarding the road, and while examining your Royal Writ, the sergeant informs you of the local curfew. You elect to leave the village before nightfall and continue on through the night, despite Vois' two inviting inns. An hour before dawn, you feel Burashos tiring and set up camp in a small copse beside the highway. Before you lie down to rest, you must eat a Meal or lose 3 ENDURANCE (unless you possess the skill of Grand Huntmastery, you do not have the time to use your Magnakai skill before fatigue overcomes you).

You awake before long in the cool morning and resume your trip northward. You notice the flowers covering the hills have disappeared, signs of wildlife have become rare, and the fields before you are yellow-brown and sickly. It is as if the countryside itself has fallen foul north of the Dax. Wagons laden with refugees trickle past heading south.

By noon you are able to take in the first glimpse of Helin. Like Varetta, it has yet to recover from the earthquakes that have wracked the region, and several buildings are still in ruin. The spire of the church of Ishir has crumbled and fallen. Around the town's high defensive walls that bear the scars of countless wars, you see thousands of mercenaries and soldiers. They watch over a stream of fleeing townsfolk. You are relieved that the town has not been attacked yet, but the Magadorian army cannot be far.

You find the entrance heavily guarded by Lyrisian mercenaries in the pay of Prince Tanveal II, the ruler of this province. You present your Royal Writ and are reluctantly waved through. The Prince recognises Konral XII as his suzerain, but it has not been the most cordial of alliances. Given the troubles plaguing the region, Helin's ambitious lord is willing to be supported by the Lyrisian king and respects his edicts.

You gently guide Burashos into the city's crowded streets. Panicked citizens, eager to escape the coming storm, have bottlenecked the main thoroughfare. You spy two adjacent roadways that might allow an easier path, otherwise, you will need to dismount and lead Burashos behind you.
  1. Do we take any of the astrological equipment? If so, we'll have to drop some stuff to make room.
  2. Shall we now go west into Arsia Street or east into the "unusually deserted" Cralvart Lane?

¹ I'm wondering if Lady Jhudyth was a late addition to the text, because this is the second time Gavalandro has addressed the entire group as "lords", and the magicians collectively are referred to as "Brothers" several times as well.
² Astrology finally actually gets us something! Whether any of it'll be of any actual value remains to be seen though.

Backpack:
  1. Flute
  3. Bautarian Antitoxin (2 doses)
  7. Platinum Amulet
  8. Bautarian Antitoxin (2 doses)
  12. Volko Berry Concentrate
  14. Potion of Ghilev
  15. Rope

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Take nothing, go into Cralvart Lane.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

jesus christ thats a lot of words

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
so who do you think that poem was about? vonotar?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Synthbuttrange posted:

jesus christ thats a lot of words

Drop the flute and rope. Take the moon compass and star map.

Cralvart lane

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

nelson posted:

Cralvart lane

Yeah, this.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

nelson posted:

Cralvart lane

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

nelson posted:

Cralvart lane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

anakha posted:

Cralvart lane

Dead in the Deep posted:

The narrow, cobbled street leading to the East Quarter is empty, a mystery solved at the sight of a blockade of Salonese mercenaries. As you approach, they explain that Prince Tanveal has quarantined the district due to a plague spreading through its citizenry. No wonder the citizens are all so eager to leave, if the city were besieged, a plague could spell doom for the defenders. Only sworn healers, appointed by the prince, may leave while the quarantine is in effect, and not even a Writ from the King can countermand this order. You can enter the East Quarter, but you will not be allowed to leave by the patrols that monitor the perimeter. The mercenaries advise you to turn around.
Should we go in anyway, or turn back and head west into Arsia Street or north along Varettian Avenue?