Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Boris Galerkin posted:

When I’m editing photos do I want True Tone on or off? I thought on because I thought it adapts to the light showing me what I’m suppose to be seeing but I could be wrong.

Afaik True Tone gets turned off automatically when viewing and/or editing photos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

So if Apple hasn't announced a new event by now, I assume they are not announcing a new iPad Pro until next year? My OG iPad Air is literally falling apart (the screen is popping off) and I was hoping for an upgrade.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

AceOfFlames posted:

So if Apple hasn't announced a new event by now, I assume they are not announcing a new iPad Pro until next year? My OG iPad Air is literally falling apart (the screen is popping off) and I was hoping for an upgrade.

Buy a base iPad duh

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
There is going to be an announcement. They've got 3 products ready to pop and rumors of an October event. Even if there isn't an event they'll still announce something before the end of the month.

The new Echo Buds arrive Oct 30th so Apple will probably try to steal a little bit of that thunder.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

sourdough posted:

Buy a base iPad duh

But that ProMotion tho

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

AceOfFlames posted:

But that ProMotion tho

If you've had an og iPad Air this long, base iPad will feel and look amazing! And be like 1/3 to 1/2 the price of whatever new Pro you'd get

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Krispy Wafer posted:

There is going to be an announcement. They've got 3 products ready to pop and rumors of an October event. Even if there isn't an event they'll still announce something before the end of the month.

The new Echo Buds arrive Oct 30th so Apple will probably try to steal a little bit of that thunder.

I hope you’re right.

I did a stupid stupid thing and played with a new pro and now I want that upgrade along with a pencil that charges via magic magnets. If a new one has the processor/battery whatever tech of the 11 pro then I’m gonna get one day one because that battery life is nuts.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Woot has Apple Refurbished 10.5" 2017 iPad Pros for $400
https://computers.woot.com/offers/apple-ipad-pro-2017-10-5-64gb-tablet-8?ref=w_cnt_lnd_cat_pc_6_6

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Yeah I just picked up 256GB 10.5” Pro because it was $50 cheaper than a 64GB Air and $20 more expensive than a 128GB base iPad (and I’m not making the mistake of buying another 32GB i anything).

Maybe I’ll regret not getting the newer processor in the Air but I think the speakers and screen are worth the trade off.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Everyone waiting with bated breath, keep in mind that last year’s fall iPad/Mac event was in November....and that still doesn’t mean dick. Apple could just as easily launch everything without an event (less likely) or wait until spring (more likely)

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
After playing with both pros I wish there was like an 11.5 or 12. If they keep to the size norms in the next one I really don’t know which to get.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Rolo posted:

After playing with both pros I wish there was like an 11.5 or 12. If they keep to the size norms in the next one I really don’t know which to get.

What use case do you have where 1/2" of diagonal real estate is necessary over the iPad Pro 11, but 12.9" is just too much?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Drawing 11.5 inch dongs and boobs.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

That's a good use case.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Whatever iPad you guys decide to go with, I seriously suggest either getting one with a laminated display or never looking at an iPad with a laminated display. If you're like me, the difference will be night and day and will bother you every time you pick it up :[

e: I'm comparing my iPad5 with iPad Pro2 and my old Air2

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

shortspecialbus posted:

That's a good use case.

:v:

Jokes aside I just like the idea of having the bigger screen for drawing with a little Plex window playing in the corner, but I worry about being able to easily pack it in my backpack when I travel for work, which is often.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Rolo posted:

:v:

Jokes aside I just like the idea of having the bigger screen for drawing with a little Plex window playing in the corner, but I worry about being able to easily pack it in my backpack when I travel for work, which is often.

I mean, the 12.9 is smaller than most any laptop, so there is that. I personally switched to a mini from a 12.9 pro after it started supporting the pencil though. I love that packability.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Martytoof posted:

Whatever iPad you guys decide to go with, I seriously suggest either getting one with a laminated display or never looking at an iPad with a laminated display. If you're like me, the difference will be night and day and will bother you every time you pick it up :[

e: I'm comparing my iPad5 with iPad Pro2 and my old Air2

I think the 6th gen is the last one without a laminated display, I'm pretty sure I saw that the 10.2/7th gen is laminated. With all the Pros, and the current Air and Mini, there aren't any current models with separate pieces. Just any leftover 5th/6th gen or older models.

Which does suck a bit because they're more expensive to fix if they get broken, but that's what Applecare is for.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That's good. It's definitely noticeable and gives the device a more cheap-ish feel. A lot of my friends bought it for Apple Pencil support but the small gap between display and digitizer tends to be offputting.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Pretty sure the 10.2 isn’t laminated - when I was looking at one in store last week it definitely didn’t look like it was and the Apple website doesn’t claim it is.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
I did the last (13.1.3) update to my iPad mini and now it's telling me the storage is full. Big grey block of "other" in the storage management view, pretty clearly the install files.

Is there a way to convince the iPad to dump that now that it's installed?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
My iPad updated from iOS to iPadOS and I HATE the new Notes app. It's borderline unusable for what I need it for. The absolute worst thing is the automatic formatting like suddenly creating lists when I just want to use plaintext.

I can't figure out how to turn this dumb poo poo off. Is there a way? Please tell me there's a way. If not, is there a way to downgrade back to iOS? This is infuriating.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

...! posted:

My iPad updated from iOS to iPadOS and I HATE the new Notes app. It's borderline unusable for what I need it for. The absolute worst thing is the automatic formatting like suddenly creating lists when I just want to use plaintext.

I can't figure out how to turn this dumb poo poo off. Is there a way? Please tell me there's a way. If not, is there a way to downgrade back to iOS? This is infuriating.

I don't know about turning off that feature but I do know that you can no longer downgrade to iOS 12.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Krispy Wafer posted:

Ya got 6 more days bub.

:toughguy:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Rolo posted:

Ya got 6 more days bub.

:toughguy:

It's going to be an exciting 6 days I tell you what.

With the clock counting down and the President tweeting product suggestions to Tim Apple this is going to be one suspenseful week.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Just a reminder that 2015 and 2017 didn't have an October event.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

FCKGW posted:

Just a reminder that 2015 and 2017 didn't have an October event.

And 2018 had a November event, where they introduced the buttonless iPad Pro, the updated Mini, and the new Mac Mini and MacBook Air. So a really small, minor event.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 26, 2019

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Not sure this is necessarily the right thread for it but it's sorta relevant. I'm looking for a fairly slim front-body sling bag to use when travelling for carrying a handful of essentials, a water flask and my iPad Pro (10.5") but almost everything I see on Amazon seems to only fit the iPad Mini. Waterproofing/resistance for heavy rain would be ideal if possible. Anybody got any recommendations?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

No real suggestions, but front slung 10.5 seems really awkward, sizewise. Are you set on front vs back?

I'll just throw out that I have a Peak Design 10.5 that I took around Japan for three weeks this year and it held my 10.5 Pro (albeit without the keyboard cover) in its gadget slot, and a bunch of camera equipment which you could replace with a water bottle, etc. If you don't put in the internal dividers you could easily hold the iPad WITH keyboard folio inside the bag (not in the gadget slot) but then obviously you lose compartmentalization. It's also a pricey bag so I guess deep down I wouldn't recommend it unless you want to lug 10L of stuff around, but it was fairly slim-ish, did hold my gadgets, and the strap is really adjustable so you can just draw it super tight to your body and it's essentially a sling.

I did have it slung forward in heavy crowds just so I wouldn't smash people, but it was somewhat awkward so that's why I comment on the size.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Oct 28, 2019

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Martytoof posted:

No real suggestions, but front slung 10.5 seems really awkward, sizewise. Are you set on front vs back?

I'll just throw out that I have a Peak Design 10.5 that I took around Japan for three weeks this year and it held my 10.5 Pro (albeit without the keyboard cover) in its gadget slot, and a bunch of camera equipment which you could replace with a water bottle, etc. If you don't put in the internal dividers you could easily hold the iPad WITH keyboard folio inside the bag (not in the gadget slot) but then obviously you lose compartmentalization. It's also a pricey bag so I guess deep down I wouldn't recommend it unless you want to lug 10L of stuff around, but it was fairly slim-ish, did hold my gadgets, and the strap is really adjustable so you can just draw it super tight to your body and it's essentially a sling.

I did have it slung forward in heavy crowds just so I wouldn't smash people, but it was somewhat awkward so that's why I comment on the size.
So long as I have the option to sling it forward in packed trains I'm good. My current slim backpack (just a normal two-strap bag) has tiny straps which really don't stay over my arms when put on my front. The Peak Design is a way out of my price range but I can use it as a base for what kind of measurements I need though - thanks!

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Question Mark Mound posted:

So long as I have the option to sling it forward in packed trains I'm good. My current slim backpack (just a normal two-strap bag) has tiny straps which really don't stay over my arms when put on my front. The Peak Design is a way out of my price range but I can use it as a base for what kind of measurements I need though - thanks!

I will say buying an expensive backpack is really nice. You are already $50ish into your current bag and ready to get rid of it for a more expensive bag? Purchasing one of these "nice" bags and it should last you a long time. I have a Tom Bihn Synapse 25 that I carry on the bus every day and has gone on several trips, still looks new. If you keep your stuff for a long time and aren't chasing "fashion" one of the expensive bags is easily 10+ years. For bag reviews I like Chase Reeves and his Youtube channel, can be a bit insufferable but does great bag reviews. The Wirecutter has the eBag slim which I know is popular and pretty affordable, I don't know about long term use but worth checking out. I'd also checkout the comments on Wirecutter they are usually better on the more popular posts

I can't imagine using a sling with a 10.5" iPad. Unless you are very tall, broad, and slim where you can wear it on your chest and not have it stick out awkwardly I think you're stuck with a backpack

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

gariig posted:

I can't imagine using a sling with a 10.5" iPad. Unless you are very tall, broad, and slim where you can wear it on your chest and not have it stick out awkwardly I think you're stuck with a backpack
I'm a manlet so maybe just a backpack that sits better on my front for busy times makes more sense!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

I'm a manlet so maybe just a backpack that sits better on my front for busy times makes more sense!

Is it common where you live for people to take their bags off and put them on backwards in public transit? I’ve just never seen anyone do this before!

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Sounds like a bike messenger bag (chrome, timbuk2, crumpler, tons of smaller bespoke makers) would work really well :shrug:

Almost certainly no event this year because they just launched new airpods without one

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Clark Nova posted:

Sounds like a bike messenger bag (chrome, timbuk2, crumpler, tons of smaller bespoke makers) would work really well :shrug:

Almost certainly no event this year because they just launched new airpods without one

poo poo they did. They’re 250 Dollars US.

Edit: I don’t care how nice they are if the batteries turn into crap in 18 months like my OG AirPods did.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 29, 2019

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Yeah unless the batteries are replaceable there's no way I could spend that kind of money on headphones.

tuyop posted:

Is it common where you live for people to take their bags off and put them on backwards in public transit? I’ve just never seen anyone do this before!
Not where I live cuz it's not particularly busy in Belfast, but I'm just back from Japan and loads of people did it there, and it would be quite handy on busier trains in London too.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I used the Patagonia Atom 8L with my 9.5in Pro from the last generation for awhile. It swung around to the front when I’d go driving and then back to the back when walking. Honestly, if I was feeling sassy, I’d put it to the side too.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Yeah unless the batteries are replaceable there's no way I could spend that kind of money on headphones.

Not where I live cuz it's not particularly busy in Belfast, but I'm just back from Japan and loads of people did it there, and it would be quite handy on busier trains in London too.

In London we just put bags between our legs. Its often way too crowded to keep it on.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Well looks like I’m just gonna Black Friday a 256 11 pro instead of waiting until next spring/summer.

Probably not stupid, right? New pros ok?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Rolo posted:

Well looks like I’m just gonna Black Friday a 256 11 pro instead of waiting until next spring/summer.

Probably not stupid, right? New pros ok?

I went from an Air 2 to the new Pro earlier this year and don’t regret it at all. The new update has made safari practically like surfing the Net on a desktop/laptop. I rarely use my computer now.