Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Double post but it's important I fully and wholeheartedly endorse Jim Valley going gently caress it and just dedicating an entire Wrestling Observer Live to gushing about how loving great Cody has gotten at being a star. :hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delete the Sky
Apr 21, 2014

I love Valley but he's gotta do something about all his weird mouth pops/clicks

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sportsgenius86 posted:

Plus he’s also going to the movies with his kids all the time on weekends which is a very divorced dad thing to do.

Most divorced dads aren't happily married.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

MassRafTer posted:

big if true

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

MassRafTer posted:

Way to bury guys' second marriage.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I'm not a huge joshi guy, but Jim Valley is completely wrong when he says I don't want to hear him talk about Kagetsu for an hour.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Fauxhawk Express posted:

I'm not a huge joshi guy, but Jim Valley is completely wrong when he says I don't want to hear him talk about Kagetsu for an hour.

Correct!

MassRafTer posted:

:kiss:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It's so weird to think that Jim Valley started in wrestling running a post modern indie in the late 90s with Johnny Fairplay.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Jerusalem posted:

Double post but it's important I fully and wholeheartedly endorse Jim Valley going gently caress it and just dedicating an entire Wrestling Observer Live to gushing about how loving great Cody has gotten at being a star. :hmmyes:
And on that note, let's look back around the timeframe when Cody announced his departure:

Neodoomium posted:

Happy Trails Cody, you worked for a company that almost never knows what it's doing.

You'll be great in ELITE with Kenny Omega.

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

why would anyone want this?

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Haha yeah Kenny Omega, the Young Bucks, and Cody Rhodes. The Elite.

Gar posted:

Cody is one of the best examples of WWE shooting themselves in the foot.

When he went from Dashing, to the plastic mask, to bringing back the white IC title... He seemed like one of the first people in years who would've had a "natural" progression to the main event. Like without Money in the Bank or something to just "drop" him into the main event. He was turning out great performances every night.

Then WWE prematurely ended his IC run to FINALLY give Big Show a win at Wrestlemania. A moment I'm not even sure Big Show was waiting for. Cody never got back on that track after that, even when he managed to put the 7 foot 500 pound monster through a table to regain his IC title!.... Oh wait, no, Big Show just slipped or something.

Trip Larsen posted:

That promo where Cody lamented how they put his father in polka dots and his brother in gold paint is still one of my favorites. I hope he gets huge in some other promotion and WWE is forced to throw money at him to come back.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Cody's going to run overseas and become a loving superstar and WWE's going to have to mortgage Triple H's dick to get him back.

I hope.

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

please don't wish cody rhodes on new japan

Eltoasto posted:

Going to be pretty interesting to track these guys once the initial indie booking rush slows down. I've never been that entertaining by Cody in the ring, but maybe he will pull out or learn some new tricks What did Cody do before WWE? Isn't he pretty much entirely WWE wrestling training?

Gonzo McFee posted:

The writers are a scapegoat. Each and every one of them is clinging onto their jobs for dear life trying their hardest to write for an audience of one family of narcissistic drug abusers.
also

Grinnblade posted:

So I'm hearing some rumbling that Jack Swagger stormed out of the arena and was seen driving away "visibly angry".

RIP WWE's enhancement talent that should have gotten better shots.

Blast Fantasto posted:

I would legit like to see Swagger fight in Bellator or whatever.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I loving love the past.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

karmicknight posted:

I loving love the past.

:hfive:

Thanks for the fun look back, Coaaab :)

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Oct 28, 2019

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
My initial reaction was 'Kenny and the Bucks were doing the Elite thing that far back?' before I went back and checked when Cody left WWE and it was mid 2016. He did this poo poo in less than 3 years.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Yeah, I was like why does 2016 feel so long agoohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Good to see so many around here were right. I honestly can't remember what I thought at the time, but even as recently as All In I was like, "dude can do a lot with a little, I guess" and now I think he's one of the best of all time.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
*pushes Big Coffin Hunter in the dirt and calls him a nerd*

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Five Star Cody winning in the end makes reading the response to his quitting the bad company all the sweeter.

edit: also, uh Holy poo poo was that the same week as the New Day time machine gimmick?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

My initial reaction was 'Kenny and the Bucks were doing the Elite thing that far back?' before I went back and checked when Cody left WWE and it was mid 2016. He did this poo poo in less than 3 years.

It was May 2017 when Cody made the "bet" with Meltzer that they could fill a 10,000 seat arena :stare:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

I was trying to figure out if Kenny was ever announced for ELITE Lucha Libre.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

Good to see so many around here were right. I honestly can't remember what I thought at the time, but even as recently as All In I was like, "dude can do a lot with a little, I guess" and now I think he's one of the best of all time.

I'm one of the few people that HATED his match at All In and I still stand by that. It's not even really Cody that I take issue with, although the overbooking did bug me a bit, but Aldis looks so out of his depth that I think my feed must have been switched with the rehearsal based on how other people reacted. Like, Cody literally has to figure four himself because Aldis forgets how to do the hold mid-way through applying it but somehow this is a match people were claiming to be MOTY

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I mean carrying Nick Aldis to a good match is doing a lot with a little.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Gaz-L posted:

I'm one of the few people that HATED his match at All In and I still stand by that. It's not even really Cody that I take issue with, although the overbooking did bug me a bit, but Aldis looks so out of his depth that I think my feed must have been switched with the rehearsal based on how other people reacted. Like, Cody literally has to figure four himself because Aldis forgets how to do the hold mid-way through applying it but somehow this is a match people were claiming to be MOTY

If they did that same match with, say, Samoa Joe or Walter in there instead of Aldis it'd have been a MOTYC. Aldis loving blows.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Gaz-L posted:

No, I agree completely and I think most people in the GDT at the time expressed a similar sentiment. Cody held up his end of that match quite well but Aldis was a complete loving anchor.

I thought Double or Nothing would be similar (but better), a match with a great build and atmosphere that was kinda weak in the ring because my stupid rear end thought Dustin couldn't go anymore.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Coaaab posted:

And on that note, let's look back around the timeframe when Cody announced his departure:

So, I'm doing my further reading on this post, but man is it weird seeing people discuss Brandi Rhodes in the context of being a ring announcer (a good one apparently).
Also some notes:
- Rovert has had a parade of haters for Three Years
- was Extreme Rules 2016 any good, the thread seemed cautiously optimistic.
- The Cursed Image (https://i.imgur.com/EV1c3gw.jpg)
- The 2016 version of the "WWE doesn't want you to get over" is just tired and depressing compared to the post-modernism of today's "blame ACH for making a racist shirt"
- It's really cool that in three years Cody Rhodes has gone from having a seeming legion of people happy to dunk on him to being the top star of a promotion on TNT.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Extreme Rules had a pretty awesome IC Title 4-way and a main event that was good, depending on your tolerance for Gotta Make Roman Look Strong.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
Let's get married! (Also use coupon code SHEETS at Manscaped.com to get free shipping AND save 20%!)

https://twitter.com/BTSheetsPod/status/1188722416723345408

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
I shouldn’t be surprised that Bryan has never heard of Spotify, but here we are...

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
How is that even possible.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
I just started listening and it can only be downhill from "I don't even know what that is".

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

MJeff posted:

*pushes Big Coffin Hunter in the dirt and calls him a nerd*

They were right though, Cody in New Japan was a horrible fit.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Cody was obviously talented and motivated, just turns out a company that openly hated his family kept him as bland garbage or a joke just like his brother and father.

Remember that time they made Dusty comes out and say he was thankful for his polka dots in the opening Survivor Series promo?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bryan do not take your baby to a chiropractor jfc

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

jesus WEP posted:

Bryan do not take your baby to a chiropractor jfc

Bryan seems very suggestible.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

karmicknight posted:

Also some notes:
- Rovert has had a parade of haters for Three Years

Only three? I know I'm been hating on him since the mid 2000s

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

frankenfreak posted:

I just started listening and it can only be downhill from "I don't even know what that is".

Does Bryan strike you as someone who listens to music?

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

frankenfreak posted:

Did the revelation that he had trouble reading a Dr. Seuss book change your mind?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

Old blues and bluegrass, yes. (And classic hip hop because he came out to Tupac for a while when wrestling.)

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

MassRafTer posted:

Eh, but he strikes me as someone who's online enough to know what Spotify is.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

frankenfreak posted:

Eh, but he strikes me as someone who's online enough to know what Spotify is.
i honestly could see him never going outside of twitter facebook and f4wonline

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Coaaab posted:

also

What a bunch of idiots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began

Gaz-L posted:

(And classic hip hop because he came out to Tupac for a while when wrestling.)

he still does