Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Penguissimo posted:

It's probably an aggressive anti-feedback mechanism kicking in.
Yes. On some clients (Adobe Connect?) this can be turned off if you're definitely using a headset.

Also, Discord had/has a separate issue where people who speak at a low volume can get cut off completely when the default setting to guess at the right sensitivity/threshold is turned on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Is there a term for what it's essentially edgy takes or interpretations of fictional media? Like, "The Rugrats are all in Angelica's imagination", or that Neville is actually the chosen one in Harry Potter, or that the Empire were actually the good guys in Star Wars. In real history those types of theories fall into historical revisionism but just curious if there was a blanket term for them for tv shows and movies and such.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
"Clickbait" :v:

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

regulargonzalez posted:

Is there a term for what it's essentially edgy takes or interpretations of fictional media? Like, "The Rugrats are all in Angelica's imagination", or that Neville is actually the chosen one in Harry Potter, or that the Empire were actually the good guys in Star Wars. In real history those types of theories fall into historical revisionism but just curious if there was a blanket term for them for tv shows and movies and such.

the term that immediately came to mind for me was darkfic but i dont think that's exactly correct.

tvtropes uses the term "epileptic trees" for insane/off-the-wall interpretations of media, named for the theory that the trees in :lost: were always shaking because they were having epileptic seizures.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

There was a rash of this with those comics that were all like “The Flintstones, but now they’re all depressed” and I really didn’t understand where that trend came from

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

regulargonzalez posted:

Resistant reading.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

regulargonzalez posted:

Dormsplaining

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Let's say cops shoot a guy running away from them (maybe he's unarmed), and his family sues the police department for manslaughter. Who represents the cops in court? A state attorney?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I worked as a law clerk for the City of Knoxville (TN) and interacted with the inhouse legal team for the Knoxville Police Department. In that instance, they have a couple of attorneys who would represent the department at least at the beginning of the proceedings.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

mike12345 posted:

Let's say cops shoot a guy running away from them (maybe he's unarmed), and his family sues the police department for manslaughter. Who represents the cops in court? A state attorney?

Someone better than me may come along but I couldn't find much through some research this morning. I would assume the state can represent the police through state attorneys but they probably also have union lawyers to back up their organization gang. I looked up a few high-profile police murders from recent memory and the articles aren't saying how they're represented.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
The cop as an individual would have to get his own attorney or yeah, maybe one from the union

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Shy posted:

I've heard the british commons speaker pronounce 'negotiate' with an s, is this common?

Can you be more specific as both pronunciations from my american dictionary involve an s, one as "shē" and the other (non-standard) as "sē"?

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

ulmont posted:

Can you be more specific as both pronunciations from my american dictionary involve an s, one as "shē" and the other (non-standard) as "sē"?

"shē" is the one that isn't 's'.

Shy fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 28, 2019

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Shy posted:

"shē" is the one that isn't 's'.

Yeah, Teresa May says it the same way. https://englishpronunciationroadmap.com/does-theresa-may-pronounce-negotiate-correctly/

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

I'm sad that the Chambers doesn't list this variant, I thought it's supposed to be a super British dictionary.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Theresa May is a freak with that word, she pronounces the ti in negotiation two different ways.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

ulmont posted:

EDIT: my wife says "yeah, I see "she/they/theirs" a fair amount.
Shouldn't it be "she/them/theirs," or is there something I'm not understanding? Isn't it supposed to be subject/object/possessive?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I purchased an item on Ebay last week and according to the tracking, it arrived at the post office last Thursday morning (where I have a box). It shows the item being delivered at 11:16am.

One problem: I was at work at the time. Obviously, someone there stole the item. I have the only key to my box.

Do the security cameras there record video? What recourse do I have?

It wasn't an expensive item, but that's not the point.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Mister Kingdom posted:

I purchased an item on Ebay last week and according to the tracking, it arrived at the post office last Thursday morning (where I have a box). It shows the item being delivered at 11:16am.

One problem: I was at work at the time. Obviously, someone there stole the item. I have the only key to my box.

Do the security cameras there record video? What recourse do I have?

It wasn't an expensive item, but that's not the point.

My packages regularly get delivered a day or two after the tracking thing says delivered. :capitalism:

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Quabzor posted:

My packages regularly get delivered a day or two after the tracking thing says delivered. :capitalism:

My usps stuff usually gets marked undeliverable no access to mailbox at 9am when they get to this area at 1-2pm if its suppossed to get delivered on a friday, same thing next day on saturday, no attempt because sunday and then finally delivered on monday. Most frequently when it was a garaunteed delivery on said friday or 1 or 2 day delivery from amazon

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Quabzor posted:

When I get a package in my box, I get a notice card. Once I get the package, they scan it at the counter. If I check it later online, it will show the time I picked it up.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Thanatosian posted:

Shouldn't it be "she/them/theirs," or is there something I'm not understanding? Isn't it supposed to be subject/object/possessive?

Yeah, typo.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Anyone know what model of Holman Bun Toaster this is? The model numbers rubbed off years ago and we're trying to find a manual to change out the heating elements.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.
Restaurant industry thread would probably know.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3827217&pagenumber=163&perpage=40#post499559796

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

This is like "there's an app for that" but instead it's an SA megathread.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I made devilled eggs today and it occurred to me that the whole process could be simplified by cooking the whites and yolks separately. The only problem is that then you wouldn't have that naturally-formed bowl of egg-white to stick the yolk mixture back into. Surely though, someone must be selling a device to solve this problem. Something like a muffin tray (but with a lid that has bumps on it to stick into the cups to leave a little crater) that you could cook egg whites in to make perfect little half-eggs.

I tried to search for such a thing but I don't know what it would be called and I didn't have any luck. Has anyone seen a thing like this or have I just come up with, honestly, the greatest original idea since the invention of cooking?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
That seems very much like more trouble, imo. Messy trouble. And how do you propose to cook the yolks?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Hipster_Doofus posted:

And how do you propose to cook the yolks?

Well, that's the easy bit. You could just cook them in a bowl in the microwave.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Hipster_Doofus posted:

That seems very much like more trouble, imo. Messy trouble. And how do you propose to cook the yolks?

very carefully

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I think the time spent separating the yolk and white before cooking is no worse spent doing it after.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
The man is trying to popularize deconstructed devilled eggs. Don't crush his dreams.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Klaus Kinski posted:

The man is trying to popularize deconstructed devilled eggs. Don't crush his dreams.

Smashmouth, crush the dream

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Any android apps that will let me put a keyboard shortcut (e.g. the tab key) on screen floating above the active app, or maybe mapped to a hardware button?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Did Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi dye just the bottom of his beard for some reason? If so, why? If not, how did it look like that?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Tiggum posted:

Did Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi dye just the bottom of his beard for some reason? If so, why? If not, how did it look like that?

Bit difficult to get your roots touched up when you are the leader of a regime that prohibits hairdressers.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Tiggum posted:

Probably all dyed at some point and it grew out.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
Not sure where to ask this but I'd like to learn more about workplace organizing/unions. Is there a thread somewhere? I glanced through the thread titles in C-SPAM but not sure if I missed something. I work in a trade/industry that could desperately use some organizing.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

turd in my singlet posted:

Not sure where to ask this but I'd like to learn more about workplace organizing/unions. Is there a thread somewhere? I glanced through the thread titles in C-SPAM but not sure if I missed something. I work in a trade/industry that could desperately use some organizing.

You are doing god's work. If you don't find anything soon, ask in CSPAM's DSA thread, which already has an excellent track record of local organizing starting from scratch. Those folks will help.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

PRADA SLUT posted:

Probably all dyed at some point and it grew out.

That or he just hadn't trimmed or shaved anything on his head in like...a decade. It's takes time to grow a huge beard so when the grey starts coming in you get that effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
I would like to cast a video to my TV, but listen to audio via my phone/ear buds. Seems simple enough but I can't seem to figure it out.

Android, if that matters.