Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I bet American Hero Story is going to be Tales From The Black Freighter for the series. You'll see bits of it that relate directly to the themes of the show.

Also the Klan Robes had a police badge on it. I wonder if you went back to the first episode, you'd see the Klansmen they focus on wearing those robes. Also i saw some people not realizing the part in Germany was WW1 not 2. That part is weird to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

twistedmentat posted:

I bet American Hero Story is going to be Tales From The Black Freighter for the series. You'll see bits of it that relate directly to the themes of the show.

Also the Klan Robes had a police badge on it. I wonder if you went back to the first episode, you'd see the Klansmen they focus on wearing those robes. Also i saw some people not realizing the part in Germany was WW1 not 2. That part is weird to see.

Yeah, that was my thought for Hero Story as well. I also thought it was a bit of a dig at Snyder with all of the gratuitous slow-mo... :laugh:

And now that you mention it: yeah, I'd bet he's the klansmen we see shooting people in the Tulsa Massacre. As for WWI: I thought the helmets and lack of swastikas gave it away...

Also, how would he take the propaganda note from WWII back to 1921 Tulsa??? :ohdear:

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

you should realize that it's WW1 on account of it happens before 1921

e: as for the badge, it's a Big Symbolic Thing, so I'm assuming there's a parallel being drawn; Judd being the son or the grandson of one of those Klansmen would explain that odd shot of a photograph in ep. 1

ElNarez fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Oct 28, 2019

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

LesterGroans posted:

It's both. Obviously with the name and casting it's a Ryan Murphy riff, but to me it also seems like a play on Snyder's version of Watchmen. Don't get me wrong, I think his Watchmen movie is great, but this seemed like a way to incorporate it playfully.

Yea it's definitely a low-key riff on the Snyder film. The slowing down time and poo poo made me chuckle.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

twistedmentat posted:

It looked like an old police badge, like the one his father was wearing in the picture of them together.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Preston Waters posted:

lmao so I was half correct?

edit: blue penis

Blue penis is blue penis, even if it's only painted blue. So we can check that box.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
My only significant concern so far is with Veidt's characterization. I figure there will be more to it, but he seems like a cartoon version of the character from the book—a little too goofy, a little too doddering, a little too overtly psychotic. Doing little plays just for himself seems a little too much to me. Am I alone in that?

Also, burning the clone in the chamber felt a whole lot like The Prestige to me and that is good.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Groke posted:

Blue penis is blue penis, even if it's only painted blue. So we can check that box.

I meant about the clones of Osterman and Veidt trying to create his own personal Dr. Manhattan

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'd agree with that if the clone in the box were disintegrated, but that did not look like an intrinsic field generator to me.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

My only significant concern so far is with Veidt's characterization. I figure there will be more to it, but he seems like a cartoon version of the character from the book—a little too goofy, a little too doddering, a little too overtly psychotic. Doing little plays just for himself seems a little too much to me. Am I alone in that?

Also, burning the clone in the chamber felt a whole lot like The Prestige to me and that is good.

In a wider sense, and considering the context of the episode, you could argue that he's trying to rewrite history. Depending on how you count there's maybe a couple more instances of that in the episode. American Hero Story is the obvious one, Judd's story to Angela might be one, if you're not gonna trust him based on the klan hood in his closet.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

feedmyleg posted:

I'd agree with that if the clone in the box were disintegrated, but that did not look like an intrinsic field generator to me.

Just a dry run. Prepping for the real thing...

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, he's a crazy old man, but considering that it's 30+ years since he did the whole squid mass murder thing, it makes sense to me that he'd be a whole lot crazier now than he was back then. And he was a lunatic back then already, sooo

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I mean he’s stuck in some magical prison I’d be crazy too

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
tfw you murder millions in the single greatest coordinated attack in human history to try and bring about a utopia built on human peace and understanding and people still hate the poo poo out of one another

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I’d still hate Latvians even if a squid killed new york

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DC Murderverse posted:

it should be noted that the "Watch Over This Boy" note was written on the back of that propaganda paper, so it wouldn't have been him who got it (probably his father) but he definitely could have read it/sympathized with the Germans because of his experience.

Show ended with Beastie Boys, show good.

You gotta figure he read that note a million times though with it being the only thing he has from his father.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Aphrodite posted:

You gotta figure he read that note a million times though with it being the only thing he has from his father.

If they are going with Will actually being Hooded Justice, like some people are theorizing, I could see that linking up to a part from the comics. In Hollis Mason's autobiography, he stated HJ spoke highly of the Germans prior to Pearl Harbor.

Having that propaganda flyer since he was a boy could have influenced that.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
Why are we so sure he's hooded justice? Because he wears a red coat?

Seems pretty thin.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
removed due to spoilers from episodes that haven't shown.

Le Saboteur fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 28, 2019

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Le Saboteur posted:

Big spoiler behind here: Because its been confirmed by reviewers that watched the first six episodes.

Oh gently caress off.

Goddamnit.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Stop posting loving spoilers about eps that aren't out.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

What's the significance of the old man being heat resistance? Just a wierd touch for an old guy with no more taste buds, or is it something from the comic?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

And if you have to be an rear end in a top hat and do make it very clear in nonspoilered text what you are doing.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Le Saboteur posted:

This is a spoiler for episodes that aren't out yet: Because its been confirmed by reviewers that watched the first six episodes.

Has it actually, though? I don’t think any critic would do that. It makes sense as a theory anyways.

Just checking in, nobody’s still gonna try and claim this show is pro-cop after that episode, right?

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

KoRMaK posted:

What's the significance of the old man being heat resistance? Just a wierd touch for an old guy with no more taste buds, or is it something from the comic?

He might have some demyelinating disease. Hell, some stroke patients can't feel pain. While it sounds awesome, it's actually incredibly deadly. Like if you stub & cut your toe, you wouldn't realize it. All of a sudden a week later you're dead from septicemia.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

DC Murderverse posted:

it should be noted that the "Watch Over This Boy" note was written on the back of that propaganda paper, so it wouldn't have been him who got it (probably his father) but he definitely could have read it/sympathized with the Germans because of his experience.

Show ended with Beastie Boys, show good.

I feel like there's a slight difference between "sympathized with the Germans" and "openly expressing approval for the activities of Hitler's Third Reich", which is the verbatim description from Watchmen #2

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Preston Waters posted:

Oh gently caress off.

Goddamnit.

Dude you didn’t need this spoiled to know that it was coming from the moment they hired Damon lindelof

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

As someone that dives right into spoilers all the time: if you’ve seen or read what happens in the next four episodes, maybe sit this thread out. No one appreciates your input.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

The Dave posted:

As someone that dives right into spoilers all the time: if you’ve seen or read what happens in the next four episodes, maybe sit this thread out. No one appreciates your input.

Sorry fellas, I wasn't sure what was verboten in here. I've removed the post so as not to upset anyone else.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I only just got round to reading the first two weeks of Peteypedia stuff in detail and drat there’s some great info in here

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Peteypedia drop for this week just went up

https://www.hbo.com/peteypedia

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Agreed on the "if you've seen spoilers on the next 4 episodes please don't post here". There's just no reason for people who know the plot to be discussing it with people who don't.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Lmao has anyone seen the IMDb user reviews for this show? Tons of idiots are coming out to complain that HBO has ruined Watchmen by making it "too political".

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
This show is better than it has any right to be.

I'm also surprised by how many friends of mine who've never read Watchmen are enjoying the show. I was positive, after watching the first two episodes, that anyone who didn't have the context of the comics would be "WTF, I'm out" after all of the unexplained phenomena that only readers would have some context for, but most of the people I talk to are digging it regardless of not really knowing the backdrop.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

KoRMaK posted:

Whatever it is, it's not a comic thing. Nobody in the comic has any superpowers except for Dr. Manhattan, and the existence of psychics.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

In the Watchmen comic there are an absolute shittone of little visual gags where whats in one panel directly references a later panel so I've been looking out for them. The kids playing with the 'ghost' immediately sutup the KKK robe reveal.

feedmyleg posted:

Veidt killed millions remember, I doubt he's spent the last 30 years as a totally mentally healthy human being.

Le Saboteur posted:

This did prove that they really should have done at least a two episode premiere of this show as the second episode re-contextualizes the first in quite a large way. Would have avoided some of the bad impressions of the first episode.

The people with reviewbombing the episode are idiots operating in extremely bad faith though.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 28, 2019

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Memnaelar posted:

I'm also surprised by how many friends of mine who've never read Watchmen are enjoying the show. I was positive, after watching the first two episodes, that anyone who didn't have the context of the comics would be "WTF, I'm out" after all of the unexplained phenomena that only readers would have some context for, but most of the people I talk to are digging it regardless of not really knowing the backdrop.
I think even if you haven't read the comic book, most of what's at the the forefront of the TV show feels rooted in familiar police drama genre stuff.

Like so far this doesn't feel THAT far off from The Shield or something like that, even if the background elements like raining squids are weird.

massive spider posted:

In the Watchmen comic there are an absolute shittone of little visual gags where whats in one panel directly references a later panel so I've been looking out for them. The kids playing with the 'ghost' immediately sutup the KKK robe reveal.
Oooh, nice catch.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Memnaelar posted:

I was trying to remind my wife who Ozymandius was in the movie but all anyone can remember is Dr. Manhattan, it seems.

There are so many things to like about this, so far. I wonder how it plays with people who don't like it when characters don't explain things as they go?

That was Hulk from The Wire who made an appearance last nigh? Or did he show up on a show after Watchmen and they're just all running together? This would be his 6th or 7th HBO job. That has to be some kind of record.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

ElNarez posted:

I feel like there's a slight difference between "sympathized with the Germans" and "openly expressing approval for the activities of Hitler's Third Reich", which is the verbatim description from Watchmen #2

Which was said - the latter or the former?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Last night was Bunny Colvin. Didn't see Herc but I may have missed him.