Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Rarity posted:

People would save themselves so much stress in this thread if they waited to get mad at things that might happen until they actually happen

Rarity in being right again shocker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Doccykins posted:

the polling was way worse in 2017 and they went for it then and cleared out May's majority, once purdah and broadcasting regulations come into place there's nothing to say a similar swing can't be achieved in the same time between election called and polling day

Owen Jones had a column recently where he succinctly summarized this argument:

quote:

For those who believe this is a suicide mission, consider this. Dire as Labour’s polling currently is, the Tories were much further ahead in 2017 than they are now. May was far more popular than Johnson: indeed, her approval ratings exceeded those of Margaret Thatcher and Tony Blair at their zenith. In an election, Labour’s commitment to let the people decide will have the opportunity to cut through – as it becomes clear that this is the only opportunity that remainers have to realise their hopes.

An unquestionably popular domestic agenda – from tax justice to public ownership – will be front and centre again. Corbyn’s campaigning energy can finally be released. Labour’s mass membership can mobilise. Johnson’s one-sided election campaign will end as broadcasting rules cut in, which was a prerequisite to Corbyn’s personal ratings dramatically improving last time. An uptick in political interest means effective pro-Labour social media content can go viral once again. Johnson’s dire Brexit deal can finally be properly scrutinised and unpicked.

He is a noted exponent of this reading so let's call it the Owen Jones thesis. The problem is an empirical one - to what extent does one credit that for outcomes, or instead see some role in three-line whipping for A50 and still being sufficiently ambiguously Remain to win Battersea, in being harsher on immigration than even Ed Miliband's Controls on Immigration mugs/miscellaneous masonry, a rigorously restrained costing of the electoral manifesto, helpfully unforced errors on the part of dementia/bedroom taxes, LDEM malaise, ScotLab malaise, etc.? These are taken seriously in the leader's office, even if the true believers hold to the purdah "if only the public know Oh Jeremy's beneficent nature" thesis

And then the other problem - Corbyn's and Labour's numbers are again about where they were in 2017 pre-surge, which didn't stick, so... and if they surge back to the same level, there's a good chance Labour still remains in the opposition benches. The party would need to do even better - in the face of LDEM revival, BXP irrelevance, continued absence of the Corbyn bump for ScotLab. And Labour would be going to to the polls without 2017's "freedom of movement will end" and yet with 2019's "the party shall only decide how to campaign in such a referendum – through a one-day special conference, following the election of a Labour Government". That's one hell of a triangulation target for a Brexit election.

Those who were braying endlessly that voters are tired of Brexit and just want to vote in Labour's domestic agenda are apparently filled with doubt... Abbott has not made this line of argument in months. Immigration has slid down priority lists, but it is replaced by crime, not a notable Labour area of strength. Johnson's reversal of austerity cuts has allowed plentiful attacks of hypocrisy and bald electioneering, but has made making hay of Tory cuts to services much harder. Whilst this is going on, the membership are getting antsy - Rayner's declaration of war on Ofsted was overshadowed by Conference moving to abolish private schools, for instance. The relative freedom that let McDonnell to cook up an unexpectedly restrained manifesto in 2017 is much diminished. Conference 2016 was still full of slightly stunned Blair/Brownites, but since then there have been three successive years of gradually raising the expectations of new members (those members whose enthusiasm on the doorstep are still crucial for the turnout surges required for LAB...). It's going to be tough and I wouldn't say any decision here would be an easy one.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Pesmerga posted:

Maybe you’ll take it from a massive cheerleader then.

This looks really loving bad.

Why would I be more inclined to trust a sycophant who is only going off the same source as you are?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Finding other people who share your silly reaction does not lend it validity.

The EU has not formally even offered an extension much less has one actually gone through, "election when no deal is off the table" is the consistent thing that labour and, until today, the entire loving opposition has been saying.

That the liberals and the SNP cannot (or rather more likely, do not give a poo poo about) presenting a united front against the tories is their idiot fault.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
The EU ahead announced it’s been concluded in EU Council and the extension is until January 31st, which is what Labour said was necessary, and now they’ve moved the goalposts again to ‘well not until Johnson gives assurances he will not pursue no deal’, which he’s not going to give.

Edit: according to the Financial Times it’s confirmed and according to some members of the shadow cabinet They are apparently hoping to avoid this completely and have an election maybe in Spring 2020.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Tesseraction posted:

I've rescued many cats stuck like this the solution is to cut down the tower and let him land on his feet.

obviously you have to implode the chimney from around him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzOmUwYO2T4

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Pesmerga posted:

The EU ahead announced it’s been concluded in EU Council and the extension is until January 31st, which is what Labour said was necessary, and now they’ve moved the goalposts again to ‘well not until Johnson gives assurances he will not pursue no deal’, which he’s not going to give.

Is it not better to have full confirmation of a thing from a shitheel government that lies all the time to everyone about everything, rather than rushing it through because "I unno".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not sure the EU twitter is quite the appropriate standard for legally binding international negotiations.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

You're funny when you go into a full fubpee meltdown

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

TheRat posted:

You're funny when you go into a full fubpee meltdown

It’s funny how anything said in this thread that goes against the consensus is suddenly FBPE, when this is about Labour getting dragged into an election it claimed it wanted and has been ready for since 2017 in a way that every other party can start all campaigning with ‘and Labour didn’t even want this election anyway’.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pesmerga posted:

This isn’t a party that’s sure of itself, it’s a party that’s suddenly dropped all talks of elections in its advertising and is now in damage limitation mode.

I'm not worried.

And lines like this https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1188822382829592576

make me even less worried.

Please don't throw me in that briar patch Mr Fox!

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not sure the EU twitter is quite the appropriate standard for legally binding international negotiations.

they can hardly take it back now. even if it's on twitter, communicating your intentions like that gives the EU zero room to rescind or modify their offer without seriously damaging the negotiations and worst of all, making it seem like the EU's in shambles and Johnson's in control.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I think that shot of "this thread piles on any "wrong" opinion" gives me a line on the UKMT meltdown bingo card.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Pesmerga posted:

It’s funny how anything said in this thread that goes against the consensus is suddenly FBPE, when this is about Labour getting dragged into an election it claimed it wanted and has been ready for since 2017 in a way that every other party can start all campaigning with ‘and Labour didn’t even want this election anyway’.

That’s clearly not what this is though?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Pesmerga posted:

It’s funny how anything said in this thread that goes against the consensus is suddenly FBPE

Not everything, I don't see anyone calling ronya fubpee. You've always been peak FBPE though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

:smugdon:

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

One line whip to abstain on a crucial strategic point is literally the worst loving decision tbf. Support it for damage limitation, or oppose it to stick by your guns, and whichever way you go actually give a gently caress with more than one line

CGI Stardust posted:

welcome to War Christmas, who remembers this?

& who could forget

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

oscarthewilde posted:

they can hardly take it back now. even if it's on twitter, communicating your intentions like that gives the EU zero room to rescind or modify their offer without seriously damaging the negotiations and worst of all, making it seem like the EU's in shambles and Johnson's in control.

Yes, but the consistent theme with the opposition's handling of the government is that they do not accept anything until it's physically down in law, or ideally, until it's already happened. Which is entirely the appropriate line to take with the government at this point.

Plus, there is, again, the desire to make johnson miss his deadline.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

This thread has political correctness gone mad, you know, you can't even say Jeremy Corbyn is transgender anymore without some brexiteer remainiac calling you a semite.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Nenonen posted:

obviously you have to implode the chimney from around him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzOmUwYO2T4

Off-screen, a health and safety guy is in urgent need of a change of clothes

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Rarity in being right again shocker
Rarity is too powerful.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

D. Ebdrup posted:

Rarity is too powerful.

I HAVE NOT EVEN ASCENDED TO MY FINAL LEVEL :ssj:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

OwlFancier posted:

Yes, but the consistent theme with the opposition's handling of the government is that they do not accept anything until it's physically down in law, or ideally, until it's already happened. Which is entirely the appropriate line to take with the government at this point.

Plus, there is, again, the desire to make johnson miss his deadline.

I think the Benn act is pretty secure at this point - if Bojo doesn't accept the extension, he'll be in court before he knows it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Grey Hunter posted:

I think the Benn act is pretty secure at this point - if Bojo doesn't accept the extension, he'll be in court before he knows it.

Could the court feasibly rule that the Benn act meant the extension was legally accepted, regardless of whether JoBo himself physically did it?

If so I don't see where the risk is.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

quote:

Guardian
Keith Vaz faces parliamentary ban over drugs for sex workers scandal.
.. he had offered to buy cocaine for male sex workers whilst posing as a washing machine salesman.
Vaz’s explanation, which included that he suffered from amnesia and so could not recall key events, was “not believable and, indeed, ludicrous”, the inquiry said.

:eyepop:

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Tesseraction posted:

This thread has political correctness gone mad, you know, you can't even say Jeremy Corbyn is transgender anymore without some brexiteer remainiac calling you a semite.

Bingo! I've got a full row here!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Grey Hunter posted:

Sure, but I think the point of the way they're portraying it is they want it to actually be done with before they vote for an election.

Because again, they also want to delay as much as they realistically can.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lmao.

The washing machine salesman detail is so perfectly Carry On, that I can't

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Rarity posted:

People would save themselves so much stress in this thread if they waited to get mad at things that might happen until they actually happen

Nothing has happened for 3 years though, we've got to talk about something.

Also Lol at Labour not wanting an election because of the polling, yes need to choose the right time for an election when the Tories are in absolute disarry is not quite right. Then again Labour can't even manage to have their cabinet present a consistent front on Brexit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The tories aren't really in that much disarray though, certainly not with their voters, they're quite united behind boris.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Aramoro posted:

Nothing has happened for 3 years though, we've got to talk about something.
Oh our regularly scheduled austerity deaths have still been happening I'm sure, it's just that they're not getting reported on since SOMETHING MIGHT INCONVENIENCE MIDDLE CLASS LIBERALS

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Aphex- posted:

Bingo! I've got a full row here!

I don't think you can call bingo on a sarcastic or joke post, but I haven't read the full UKMT Bingo rulebook.

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

Pesmerga posted:

This looks really loving bad.
maybe take a break from twitter for a bit cuz having a meltdown over things that haven't happened yet severely damages your health.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lmao https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1188835556660338689

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

njsykora posted:

I don't think you can call bingo on a sarcastic or joke post, but I haven't read the full UKMT Bingo rulebook.

I do what I want :c00lbutt:

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

While the damage this disarray might be minor and the poor messaging only until the 31st it's still very bad to discourage your activists like this for any amount of time so close to an election when the campaigning manifesto is also likely to ditch a lot of the conference stuff that they actually want to happen as well.

Corbynism really lost a lot of its shine amongst the harder soc dem left over the last year, let alone the radical left so they need to appear capable and confident in their positions and ideology which this absolutely isn't.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Aphex- posted:

I do what I want :c00lbutt:

dog pile attempt failed because the woofers all got distracted by a squirrel

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

this just feels petty

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1188842413420433415

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Josef bugman posted:

Is it not better to have full confirmation of a thing from a shitheel government that lies all the time to everyone about everything, rather than rushing it through because "I unno".

you’re in danger of holding to an impossible standard there. Even if Johnson went back on everything he’s said for 3 years and revoked article 50 today, there’s nothing to stop whichever tort immediately replaced him as PM invoking again.
“No-deal Brexit is off the table” can always be found to have a hole. See people last week fretting that we could the the end of the two year transition in the withdrawal agreement without a free trade deal have been ratified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

December 10 1/2th?