Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BonoMan posted:

Yeah since we're less than a month away, this is the rare time it's ok to say it's fine to wait.

On my own front. I just can't pull the trigger. I have $1500 in Rakuten credit. I can get a 65" X950G or 55" C9 or 65" C9 with spending some extra cash.

Or I can get a 65" TCL 6 series and then a cheaper, but still upgraded TV for the bedroom.

I have loving choice paralysis. My wife doesn't want 65". She thinks it'll be too big (the space is perfect for it though) and she doesn't care about picture quality.

I want a good picture, but also have two kids, one of whom is 4 months old, so its like... when would I really enjoy that? I don't really get to ever sit down and watch a movie ever.

Ugh. My life is a mess.

My 65" C9 is awesome for the 0-60m a day I get to watch it w/ a almost 3 month old + 3 year old. We just watched endgame for the first time over the course of 3 nights in all of its UHD/HDR glory and it looked great. Just do it.

Don't put a TV in your bedroom. Practice good sleep hygiene.

Screw waiting for black Friday and hoping you get a factory reject special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Do good TVs actually go on sale on Black Friday? Isn't it just $100 Sanyo poo poo and then a bad Samsung that normal consumers don't know is bad for 799?

You can already get a C9 for 1000/1600. I don't see them going any lower than that until next Feb.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

American McGay posted:

Do good TVs actually go on sale on Black Friday? Isn't it just $100 Sanyo poo poo and then a bad Samsung that normal consumers don't know is bad for 799?

You can already get a C9 for 1000/1600. I don't see them going any lower than that until next Feb.

Just depends.

Some retailers have decent deals, the BF exclusive panels usually suck yes.

But Rakuten does some really good points back deals on BF so it just makes sense for me to wait and get 20% back to spend on something else.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah the doorbusters for the people who camp out are famously cheap and bad but a lot of the old rules of Black Friday no longer hold true, any product might get discounted at any time

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

My dude you have been television shopping for a cartoonishly long time.

Live that bad with money double physician income life and buy this poo poo on a random Friday afternoon.

For some content, my daughter asked me to upgrade our downstairs TV and I was only too happy to oblige, is 77" the place where the size/value equation really starts to melt down? Also, C9 or A9G?

My dude, I hear you, it's just :effort:, but gently caress, CES is in January and I'm in no rush. I'm willing to toxx clause it though: getting a TV in 2020.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Are you looking for anything in particular? It's bewildering. Just perennially window shopping until you're dead?

(Which could statistically occur before CES January by the way! We are delicate sacks of carbon. water and bacteria hurtling through space!)

It's just such a weird thought loop. "Why enjoy today what you can enjoy tomorrow?". Hey man think how good the prices will be Black Friday 2021! Better hold onto that money!!! Like imagine when Micro LED TVs cost $1000 in 2023. That alone means you should never buy anything, ever.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
No number of mythical 2020 features will make up for the ever growing hours of joy you've robbed yourself of with your useless reservations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Can’t decide if the checkbox feature every high end tv has next year will be buggy HDMI 2.1 or buggy 8k

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
55" X900F is $998 on Amazon today.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

wandler20 posted:

55" X900F is $998 on Amazon today.

The X950G 55" is $998 on Rakuten right now (with $130 back!)

https://www.rakuten.com/shop/electronic-express/product/XBR55X950G/

edit: It's $998 on Amazon too.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Costco Black Friday ad is up. The 2018 65R613 will be $599. Looks like their buyers saw the error of their ways and have picked up the Vizio M658-G1 instead of the mediocre M657 they initially stocked. It will also be $599 on Cyber Monday.
https://www.costcoinsider.com/costco-black-friday-2019-ad/#coupon-book

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Also I went to BlackFriday.com yesterday and I think it was Sams Club listed as having the P Series Quantum X 65" for only $999. But now that ad seems to have disappeared.

edit: Actually searching for it shows the deal as upcoming still.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nice, gonna try and get that TCL for the living room.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
You can get the TCL QLED (65R625) for $699: https://www.rakuten.com/shop/electronic-express/product/65R625/?l-id=Deals_TRENDINGNOW_widget_18

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

My concern is this is online so there is not going to be a pickup option, and i see a lot of reports from the Amazon review for that TV that the TVs they have received are coming in broken because they seem fragile

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I mentioned this before but out of the 4 TCL TV's I've ordered online, 2 came with a shattered screen.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TCL 65S421 $448 shipped

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Taima posted:

Are you looking for anything in particular? It's bewildering. Just perennially window shopping until you're dead?

(Which could statistically occur before CES January by the way! We are delicate sacks of carbon. water and bacteria hurtling through space!)

It's just such a weird thought loop. "Why enjoy today what you can enjoy tomorrow?". Hey man think how good the prices will be Black Friday 2021! Better hold onto that money!!! Like imagine when Micro LED TVs cost $1000 in 2023. That alone means you should never buy anything, ever.

American McGay posted:

No number of mythical 2020 features will make up for the ever growing hours of joy you've robbed yourself of with your useless reservations.

I identify with the phrase "'Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

GreenNight posted:

I mentioned this before but out of the 4 TCL TV's I've ordered online, 2 came with a shattered screen.
Yes this is what the Amazon people have reported and why it has a bad rating on there

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

My concern is this is online so there is not going to be a pickup option, and i see a lot of reports from the Amazon review for that TV that the TVs they have received are coming in broken because they seem fragile

I see this as a positive. Screw me snapping it in my own car. Some poor schmuck delivers it to my living room, opens it, plugs it in, and if it's shattered takes it away again. Well worth it in my book not to have to take it back to wherever and deal with their smug looks as they tell me that me destroying the TV isn't their problem.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
LG OLED C9 77" for $4949 for Costco Black Friday.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

BonoMan posted:

Also I went to BlackFriday.com yesterday and I think it was Sams Club listed as having the P Series Quantum X 65" for only $999. But now that ad seems to have disappeared.

edit: Actually searching for it shows the deal as upcoming still.

VIZIO P-Series® Quantum X 65” Class 4K HDR Smart TV - PX65-G $979 at Sam's Club on 11/09/19

One of the other Costco deals is the 65" Vizio V series for $399. I think it is pretty similar quality for the TCL 4 series (someone correct me if you find reviews saying otherwise), and I think that's the least expensive I've seen a 65" sell for.

FACKER
Jan 2, 2005
I recently moved and now I'm looking for a wall mount for this TV: https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-55EG9100-oled-tv
It seems the LG branded wall mount is discontinued. Do I need a specific mount for this or will any VESA compatible mount work?

FACKER fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 30, 2019

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

I identify with the phrase "'Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels."

You're the one coming back here asking the same exact pointless question for years on end over a $2,000 purchase, that's not spendthrift that is mentally ill.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

LG OLED C9 77" for $4949 for Costco Black Friday.

The 77 inch C9 is so beautiful, however given the upcoming cost reductions promised in upcoming OLED tech I would probably wait on the 77 inch unless money is no object. In which case buy it, because it is an absolute sight to behold.

Taima fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 30, 2019

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
My brother is the same way but he blames it on his wife. He loving loves window shopping though and will constantly text me about new deals but he's been waiting to pull the trigger for about 3 years now.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

American McGay posted:

My brother is the same way but he blames it on his wife. He loving loves window shopping though and will constantly text me about new deals but he's been waiting to pull the trigger for about 3 years now.

Point taken. Shopping is fun in itself.

You should peep that dude's posting history though, it's a trip. He's one of those guys that judges himself and others by the number in their brokerage account, hence his smarmy comment about how good skinny feels.

Money is great, financial solvency and long term saving is a wonderful and worthy goal. Money helps us and those we love live better lives.

However, viewing accumulated money like a dragon sitting on a pile of gold, for it's own sake, is mentally poisonous and says a lot about that person. It's just a depressing way to live.

Living in Silicon Valley I see this a lot. People like him do spend money on certain things but it's usually outwardly facing status symbols. Houses, cars. Clothes. All fine purchases, but the overall goal is to project a superficial veneer of success. A $2,000 TV doesn't really figure into that game plan, which is why he's waffling for years about it.

Don't get me wrong I'm a smarmy Silicon Valley douche, it takes one to know one, but he's just a whole other level.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Taima posted:

You should peep that dude's posting history though, it's a trip. He's one of those guys that judges himself and others by the number in their brokerage account, hence his smarmy comment about how good skinny feels.

Money is great, financial solvency and long term saving is a wonderful and worthy goal. Money helps us and those we love live better lives.

However, viewing accumulated money like a dragon sitting on a pile of gold, for it's own sake, is mentally poisonous and says a lot about that person. It's just a depressing way to live.

Living in Silicon Valley I see this a lot. People like him do spend money on certain things but it's usually outwardly facing status symbols. Houses, cars. Clothes. All fine purchases, but the overall goal is to project a superficial veneer of success. A $2,000 TV doesn't really figure into that game plan, which is why he's waffling for years about it.

Don't get me wrong I'm a smarmy Silicon Valley douche, it takes one to know one, but he's just a whole other level.

sir this is a McDonald's drive through

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Just an observation! Don't worry, I'm done :) sorry. The musings of a douchebag, if you will.

e: By the way the new 88 inch LG OLED dropped a second ago. It has a crazy built in sound system that reminds me of the Dyson fans. What a fantastic piece of gear:

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/lg-8k-oled-oled88z9

Taima fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 30, 2019

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Whatever happened with the roll up LG OLED? That was really cool.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

TheWevel posted:

Whatever happened with the roll up LG OLED? That was really cool.

Coming soon! https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-OLED65R9PUA-signature-oled-4k-tv

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Taima posted:

lol, I drive a beat 2009 Volvo wagon. Go back to your hole, and thanks for reminding me why I didn’t go in to tech.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
A Volvo is a snob car.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Residency Evil posted:

lol, I drive a beat 2009 Volvo wagon. Go back to your hole, and thanks for reminding me why I didn’t go in to tech.

I didn't want to stalker level creep into "uh actually RE is almost laughably frugal" but well here we are.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Taima posted:

There's some truth here, but I feel like that "status symbols" person is a waaaaaay different person than the rest of your post is describing. I say this as someone who shares some things in common with RE. Posting deals and opinions in this thread, while my TV at home is a 10 year old 42" plasma.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Residency Evil posted:

lol, I drive a beat 2009 Volvo wagon.

Please tell me there's an almost identical thread in AI about you wanting to get a new car for the last 7 years too.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Very quick question: Is burn in a bigger issue on OLED than it is on Plasma?

I want to replace my Panasonic ST-30 (I think) from 2011 when LG releases the 48” OLEDs next year. I have never had an issue with burn in on it because I have auto-off after 4 hours of inactivity and never play video games for longer than 3-4 hours at a time.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Burn in is cumulative on OLEDs which means it's inevitable. Newer sets have methods of detecting problem areas and shifting pixels to reduce the effect but if you watch the same thing for 300 hours you'll get burn in, regardless of if it's 300 hours in a row or 300 1-hour sessions over the course of a year.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

American McGay posted:

Burn in is cumulative on OLEDs which means it's inevitable. Newer sets have methods of detecting problem areas and shifting pixels to reduce the effect but if you watch the same thing for 300 hours you'll get burn in, regardless of if it's 300 hours in a row or 300 1-hour sessions over the course of a year.

poo poo, that sounds like an serious fatal flaw.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

I'm thinking of hopping on this deal but I've never bought anything from Rakuten before or even heard of them really. They get linked in this thread often enough so they seem pretty reputable? Would I have a problem with returns if necessary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Fremry posted:

poo poo, that sounds like an serious fatal flaw.

It does, but then my C6 has no issues at all and it’s left on all the time by my wife and kid so that includes Xbox / switch games being left on the screen without movement. It’s power on time has to be really high compared to others from that year, I’ll edit this post when I get a chance to look tonight.

I’m not saying it isn’t something to consider, but I haven’t had the issue personally and I definitely don’t do anything to help mitigate the issue. I really don’t know what to make of the issue to be honest.