Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dagen H posted:

Hot pink, for reals.

:hmmyes:

Vice city mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Powershift posted:

Vice city mode

You've got the truck
You've got the power
Power
YEAH

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Powershift posted:

Vice city mode

Hell yeah. That's what I'm talking about.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Powershift posted:

Vice city cotton candy mode

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Hypnolobster posted:

Rear brakes and wheel bearings, fixed the exhaust and then saw this

wellgently caress

oh, well that's not bad

I don't know how the subframe got so bad when the rest of the car is pretty much rust-free, but it seems like a combo of bad factory paint that flaked off and a pocket above the rot that collected some good old Ohio Roadshit.

Not nearly as bad a job as I thought. Have to find one m14 bolt, because that ultra-chowered section on the old subframe killed it. Also killed a bolt on the steering shaft u-joint somehow which I'm annoyed about.
Otherwise I'm blown away at how clean it is. Just need to get inner tie rods and bellows and then it's back on the road.

Rustiest thing remaining on the car now are the fuel/brake lines running to the back.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Wiped down and cleaned out the Galaxie, then drove it around the cul-de-sac like a real dirt bag. No plates, rubber strap keeping the trunk closed. I felt like it needed a little breaking in and a real warmup, I did about 4 laps. It died a couple of times but on the last two laps ran like a champ. Added a quart of transmission fluid as it wasn't even to the bottom of te dipstick.

Also took the International down to NAPA to dump some oil and it's developed an exhaust leak, and the turn signal flasher died. And the tach doesn't work. Also the exhaust has a flapper to help warm the motor that was completely rotten, which is where the leak is. I should have eliminated it the first time!

All in all, a lot of car touching today which has healed my soul.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Powershift posted:

Vice city mode

hell yes

Now add the same color stripes, one of each color, running along the length of the truck :hellyeah:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

KakerMix posted:

hell yes

Now add the same color stripes, one of each color, running along the length of the truck :hellyeah:

One straight and one squiggly, running in front and behind the straight stripe.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Tomorrow (well, today, now) was supposed to be car poo poo day. It was tonight instead.

Finally dropped in my Kenwood from the Saturn. It also has two USB ports (each rated at 1.5 amps) on the back, so I went ahead and installed my dashcam while I was at it, powering it off of the head unit. The downside is if I detach the faceplate, or completely power off the stereo (instead of putting it into standby), the dashcam powers down. But it's a lot easier than adding a power supply somewhere, and far more elegant than running it off of a lighter or power socket. Radio reception is loving horrible for some reason (I double checked the antenna cable to make sure it was securely plugged in), but when I actually listen to the radio, it's generally just NPR anyway. Tried plugging the stock radio back in and it got good reception. :iiam: The antenna is built into the windshield though, maybe that's why. Mounted the microphone to the map light/sunglass holder console.

Also while the console was off, I verified I do not have the wiring for the optional auto-dimming mirror. :smith: There's just 2 wires up there (power and ground) going to the map lights. Won't be difficult to pull a switched power wire up there if I do add an autodimming mirror (the A pillar trim just pops right off, and the fuse box is to the left of the column), but I'm a little annoyed that the plug isn't there.

Pulled the cluster to fix the burned out backlight on the clock. That lights up now, but "D" on the PRNDL stopped lighting up after reinstallation. And the PRNDL bulbs are soldered incandescent bulbs. :fuckoff: Drove it a bit to confirm the PRNDL switch was still functional; it shifts into 4th and locks up the torque converter fine when in D, so it's just the bulb. Pretty sure it would throw the AT OIL TEMP light at me (which also acts as a general TCM warning light) if the switch was bad, but I can try pulling TCM codes to be extra sure later.

When reinstalling the panel left of the column (which houses the cruise, fog light, and windshield heater switches), I had to smack it to get it into place. Previously the cruise and fog light switches lit up with the dash lights (windshield heater switch didn't anymore). Now none of them do. :sigh: Good thing I have several spare bulbs from repairing the seat heater switches.

Speakers are in shockingly good shape. They sounded crappy with the original stereo, though I never tried the CD player on it, just the radio. It actually has a bit of bass now, whereas with the old radio, they crackled (like the surrounds were rotten) when the bass was on anything above 0.

e: well gently caress it, went ahead and used some of those extra bulbs. Now every interior light except "D" on the PRNDL tree works. Took all of 5 minutes even though I was reusing the bulb holders. Now I just need to convert the interior lighting (not dash) to LED. The dome and map lights will be tricky; they're festoon bulbs, but with very little space around them. I typically use LED panels for dome/cargo lights, but there's no room for them in these housings, and I want more light, not less. Not sure what the puddle lamps use for bulbs (probably festoons too...).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Oct 20, 2019

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Bottles To The Ground loving rules, one of my favorite NOFX songs.

It's also fun as hell to play on drums
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pFI9BrmJkk

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Haha yessssss, glad someone noticed that. One of my favorites too, and it looks like Smelly is having a blast.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Got to pull it back apart. Turns out there's an antenna amplifier connected to the typical power antenna wire, and I didn't bother hooking that up (since (a) I don't have a power antenna and (b) I was planning to hook up an amp later). After connecting that wire (the blue one on aftermarket harnesses), I not only got decent radio reception back, but HD radio now works too.

Thanks to Darchangel for pointing out the importance of that wire via facebook PM. Nice that this particular head unit retains all settings except for time/date when disconnected; it has a metric fuckton of settings that I had set up in the old car, only had to change a few for this one (basically turned off the subwoofer and crossovers). I would have been especially annoyed if I had to set everything back up again after pulling the harness to connect one wire...

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Oct 21, 2019

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Today on the S2K:

New tires installed on the Motegi TrakLites. I went with 225/45/17 rear and 205/50/17 front Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2. There were some no-name-brand things in it before that were mostly worn. These are the same size as the old ones but they seem a little wider and the fit is perfect.

I also did an oil change and put one set of shims under the soft top strikers to reduce wind noise. Hopefully one is enough but they were cheap at the dealer so I’ll order another set if need be.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 24, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That fitment is spot on.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I changed out the spark plugs on baby's first transverse V6. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting, though the rear bank was all by feel and completely blind. The old ones looked good and were still gapped correctly, but I wanted to make sure they were good on my new-to-me van. Also threw a new serpentine belt at it which also probably didn't need to be done as the old one wasn't cracked, but now it's shiny and new. Afterwards I greased the seats for the bump stops on the front struts because I read a TSB that was for a weird sound on low speed turns from the front suspension. I suspected this was the strut mounts initially, but we'll see if it makes a difference.

Recently took it to Bell Tire to get a nail patched and they mentioned the rear shocks were leaking. The rear left has maybe a tiny mist trace that I could barely even see, and the other side was bone dry. Only wanted to charge $250 for it when the parts are $33 each and have only 3 bolts holding them on. :rolleyes:

Lastly, I built a cargo organizer for my bike and gear. Plan is to leave the bike in the car so it's better protected from theft and elements, and can hit up rides after work whenever if it's nice enough and trails are dry. I'm a terrible carpenter but I'm pretty proud of how this turned out. I still want to paint it or coat it somehow and redo the chock for the front wheel.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I like that organizer, looks good. I'd probably throw down some rubber mat or carpet on it. Rubber mat keeps anything else from sliding around, carpet less so but cheaper.

I did an after-work pit stop in the driveway and put the winter tires on. I never got around to dipping them gold, maybe I'll put obnoxious white letters on them since there is so much sidewall. These are 17's, in a stock optional size, the others are 20's.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Today on the S2K:

Fit looks good.

I started out here.

With a bit if excavating I got here.

Oh god. This was so much more miserable than doing the same job on the old car.

Everyone loves a good cam shot.

Original plugs have 90k on them.

This was miserable to replace. After much frustration I bought some high tack gasket sealant to keep the valve cover gasket in place. That stuff really works.

And then out for a shake down drive. No more leaks (for now).

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Today I replaced 30+ year old belts and pulleys in our 1988 Soarer:

Timing belt still looked very good, other belts...not so much

And both idler pulleys were throwing their grease around though they still were smooth.

32,001 km, good for another 32,000 for the next 30 years :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

StormDrain posted:

I like that organizer, looks good. I'd probably throw down some rubber mat or carpet on it. Rubber mat keeps anything else from sliding around, carpet less so but cheaper.

I welcome the feedback. :) It's going to get muddy and dirty from the bike, so rubber might be best. Also you can't really see it well but nothing can move freely (except the front wheel since I hosed up the measurement on placement since I was crunching to get it done yesterday :v:). There is another set of L shaped wood in the other corner of the plastic box, and a fork mount on the bike with the rear tire wedged up against the rear seats.

Any idea where to buy said rubber mat?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Suburban Dad posted:

Lastly, I built a cargo organizer for my bike and gear. Plan is to leave the bike in the car so it's better protected from theft and elements, and can hit up rides after work whenever if it's nice enough and trails are dry. I'm a terrible carpenter but I'm pretty proud of how this turned out. I still want to paint it or coat it somehow and redo the chock for the front wheel.

I would loving love to keep my bike with me, but the combination of frameless windows, door locks/handles that pop out if you sneeze on them, no alarm, and working right by a large homeless camp...... yeah, rather not risk it, this car is stupid easy to break into. Ultimately I didn't pay anything for my bike thanks to a kind goon, but it'd be really hard to replace for less than $400-500 (if I could even find the same bike.. it's not exactly a common one, and something of similar quality, new, would run a lot more). I don't even like leaving my backpack in the car (which has my medications in it), but I can't keep it inside at work - so I keep the one controlled substance I'm on at home, with one pill on me in an old bottle for the same med.

Nice setup though. I need to figure out an organizer for the cargo area of the Outback. And maybe look at the Harbor Freightful hitch-mounted bike carrier. I'm not sure what size receiver I have, I just know I have a hitch. :v: (doesn't every guy measure their stuff at some point? :haw:)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 24, 2019

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Suburban Dad posted:

I welcome the feedback. :) It's going to get muddy and dirty from the bike, so rubber might be best. Also you can't really see it well but nothing can move freely (except the front wheel since I hosed up the measurement on placement since I was crunching to get it done yesterday :v:). There is another set of L shaped wood in the other corner of the plastic box, and a fork mount on the bike with the rear tire wedged up against the rear seats.

Any idea where to buy said rubber mat?

I did notice that, but I'm sure someday you'll put a single bag of groceries in there and the milk will be wedged under the sprocket at the first stoplight.

Search for rubber flooring rolls. Van Flooring got me some good hits. Or rubber sheet.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Dagen H posted:

Hot pink, for reals.

Only thing that truly goes with teal.

Powershift posted:

Vice city mode

See?

STR posted:

Of course I hosed up the switch trim prying them out. :sigh: So now I'm gonna have to see if I can find that trim in a junkyard or online.

Is now a bad time to tell you how easily that console comes out?
Also the trim around the shifter comes out super-easy: pull up at the rear until it unseats, then straight back - there are pegs at the front that go into the dash horizontally.

STR posted:

Tomorrow (well, today, now) was supposed to be car poo poo day. It was tonight instead.

Finally dropped in my Kenwood from the Saturn. It also has two USB ports (each rated at 1.5 amps) on the back, so I went ahead and installed my dashcam while I was at it, powering it off of the head unit. The downside is if I detach the faceplate, or completely power off the stereo (instead of putting it into standby), the dashcam powers down. But it's a lot easier than adding a power supply somewhere, and far more elegant than running it off of a lighter or power socket. Radio reception is loving horrible for some reason (I double checked the antenna cable to make sure it was securely plugged in), but when I actually listen to the radio, it's generally just NPR anyway. Tried plugging the stock radio back in and it got good reception. :iiam: The antenna is built into the windshield though, maybe that's why. Mounted the microphone to the map light/sunglass holder console.

I did this for 5V:

12V & 5V in the rear of the console:

quote:

e: well gently caress it, went ahead and used some of those extra bulbs. Now every interior light except "D" on the PRNDL tree works. Took all of 5 minutes even though I was reusing the bulb holders. Now I just need to convert the interior lighting (not dash) to LED. The dome and map lights will be tricky; they're festoon bulbs, but with very little space around them. I typically use LED panels for dome/cargo lights, but there's no room for them in these housings, and I want more light, not less. Not sure what the puddle lamps use for bulbs (probably festoons too...).

Yeah, I was looking at ours, and bummed that the panels I already have won't work.

STR posted:

Got to pull it back apart. Turns out there's an antenna amplifier connected to the typical power antenna wire, and I didn't bother hooking that up (since (a) I don't have a power antenna and (b) I was planning to hook up an amp later). After connecting that wire (the blue one on aftermarket harnesses), I not only got decent radio reception back, but HD radio now works too.

Thanks to Darchangel for pointing out the importance of that wire via facebook PM. Nice that this particular head unit retains all settings except for time/date when disconnected; it has a metric fuckton of settings that I had set up in the old car, only had to change a few for this one (basically turned off the subwoofer and crossovers). I would have been especially annoyed if I had to set everything back up again after pulling the harness to connect one wire...

You're welcome. Was just something I noticed when we got the car. Glad that did the trick.

STR posted:

Nice setup though. I need to figure out an organizer for the cargo area of the Outback. And maybe look at the Harbor Freightful hitch-mounted bike carrier. I'm not sure what size receiver I have, I just know I have a hitch. :v: (doesn't every guy measure their stuff at some point? :haw:)

I'd bet Class 2, 1" receiver. I don't think anyone makes a Class III/2" receiver hitch for our generation Outback.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

After swearing that this time I would leave everything alone and especially not play with any electricity, I wired up some LED strip lights to the factory harness for bed lights in anticipation of getting a tonneau cover soon. The official GM accessory is very expensive and provides poor results. This was (if I didn't spend a bunch of money on stuff I didn't need) about $30 in materials. It runs off the same bed light switch for the overhead light. Its attached under the bed rails with 3M molding tape.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Pretty nice. Did you get the multi-color LEDs with the remote so you can throw tonneau cover raves?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Lol should have. The lights are hooked up to the wiring with their own connectors, so I can easily swap out at any time.

Here is a wiring diagram

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 27, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

Lol should have. The lights are hooked up to the wiring with their own connectors, so I can easily swap out at any time.

If it was a dodge, you wouldn't even need to install a smoke machine :haw:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Darchangel posted:

Is now a bad time to tell you how easily that console comes out?
Also the trim around the shifter comes out super-easy: pull up at the rear until it unseats, then straight back - there are pegs at the front that go into the dash horizontally.

I'd bet Class 2, 1" receiver. I don't think anyone makes a Class III/2" receiver hitch for our generation Outback.

Yeah NOW I realize I could have pulled the shifter trim out, then reached back to pop out the switch trim. Oh well.

And I finally looked at the hitch, it's a U-Haul special. Probably Class 2/1" like you said. I need to figure out where the wiring is, if any, and make sure it's not horrifically hosed (... it's a U-haul special, so I expect the worst). I don't have issues with popping fuses, but 3 out of 4 brake light bulbs were shattered when I got the car. One was obvious (housing full of water).

e: won't need any extra lights to throw a bike rack on it, I just want to make sure the wiring isn't blown fuses waiting to happen.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 27, 2019

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

I noticed there appeared to be a leak from the Dakota's differential pinion seal and finally had a chance to work on it yesterday.

The nuts attaching the drive shaft were a little reluctant to come out, but nothing the impact couldn't pop off.
I found that the swivel attachment was a little to bulking to fit directly on the 15mm socket. What worked best was the 15mm socket -> 12" extension -> swivel -> 4" extension (for the top bolts) -> impact wrench.

Nothing (up to the seal) put up a struggle. This is the seal itself before I had done anything to it.

Dodge seemed to use their orange gasket maker on it which made the seal itself a pain to get out.
A little bit of tapping in around it with a chisel, a little bit of a torch to get the sealant a little toasty, a little bit of clipping away at it with pliers and it finally came out.

The new one went in without too much drama, just a bit of tapping. As a bonus, I found the other spring from my HF torque wrench that launched itself when the face plate popped off working on the Element:

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Changed the oil on the Focus ST. I wish the under tray design was more like Mazda's. On my '14 3 you needed to move a bolt and a plastic tray cover, and the filter and drain plug were exposed. On the Focus, it's 14? screws to remove the entire under tray. I'm sorely tempted to modify it.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Cut an access panel and feel no shame. I did that in my MS3, since all those undertray screws end up seizing anyway.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

opengl128 posted:

Cut an access panel and feel no shame. I did that in my MS3, since all those undertray screws end up seizing anyway.

100% this

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Then install a fumoto valve for a tool free one touch oil drain.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

What did I do to my ride today? Gave up.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Mustache Ride posted:

Most of us have been there.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Noooooooooo!

Details?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Tried to get it fixed as drivable before moving house. Didn't make it in time. Had to shamefully tow it to the new house.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

No shame in that, I didn't get my Supra welded up in time but it still ran so I threw the tank back in and drove it over to the new place with holes in the body under dead of night. It was pretty fun.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Mustache Ride posted:

noooooooooooooooooooooooooo! 😿

e: oh i thought you sold it. carry on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, your definition of giving up is much different from mine.

I was worried there for a sec.

Time isn't always on your side, which is why you can't waste your life driving boring vehicles.