Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

• he would set a super jarring car horn sound as his system beep, so every typo would blare a horn over the phone when talking to him.

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
every key press of my model m queues up a semi horn so once I stop typing it just blares.

company keeps trying to promote me to management and replace my desktop with an iPad for some reason

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Microsoft getting the contract because Trump specifically instructed Mattis to gently caress Amazon over because Bezos owns the Washington Post is kinda lolworthy.

https://edition-m.cnn.com/2019/10/26/politics/amazon-donald-trump-jim-mattis-pentagon-contract/index.html

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

one time i had to walk a DoD guy through stuff and he had some cool best practices:

• he would set a super jarring car horn sound as his system beep, so every typo would blare a horn over the phone when talking to him.

lol who has speakers connected to their work computer

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Lambert posted:

Microsoft getting the contract because Trump specifically instructed Mattis to gently caress Amazon over because Bezos owns the Washington Post is kinda lolworthy.

https://edition-m.cnn.com/2019/10/26/politics/amazon-donald-trump-jim-mattis-pentagon-contract/index.html

buying my Tiffany's for Men safety pin on prime to hashtag resist

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Vomik posted:

every key press of my model m queues up a semi horn so once I stop typing it just blares.

company keeps trying to promote me to management and replace my desktop with an iPad for some reason

wow didn't know they made o rings for the model m

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Lambert posted:

this is a feel good story because it’s billionaire vs billionaire vs moron millionaire

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Trump just can't help himself doing crimes eh

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
get used to another 4 years of this poo poo

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
that’s also a reason amazon is going to force a rebid.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
you think bezos keep grudges?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
guy I worked with once set his Mac default beep to the "oooh wah ah ah ah" bit from Down With The Sickness

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Chris Knight posted:

guy I worked with once set his Mac default beep to the "oooh wah ah ah ah" bit from Down With The Sickness

another good one would be shrek saying DONKEH but I’m far too much of a coward to do that and I say this as someone who set his TravisCI to use comic sans

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

when I was a kid our windows 3.1 machine would play "another one bites the dust" when an error alert opened

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

if i would work in open space office in america i would make computer say bazinga

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

all system sounds should be turned off by group policy all the time

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

that’s also a reason amazon is going to force a rebid.

a very pointless move since the people who'll handle the rebid would also admit to wrongdoing if they changed the outcome.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

you think bezos keep grudges?

Amazon is currently juicing all the city council races in Seattle because they passed and then retracted a law to tax tech jobs to pay for homeless services

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jenny Agutter posted:

Amazon is currently juicing all the city council races in Seattle because they passed and then retracted a law to tax tech jobs to pay for homeless services

isn’t retraction good for amazon

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

bezos holds grudges

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
when i was a kid there was something like 3 homeless in christchurch and i had never seen a beggar or street person until i travelled in my 20s

now nz has many. thanks property investment 😁

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

echinopsis posted:

when i was a kid there was something like 3 homeless in christchurch and i had never seen a beggar or street person until i travelled in my 20s

now nz has many. thanks property investment 😁

i am sure there is more homelessness than there used to be, but i imagine it is also more visible than it used to be

anti-vagrancy and anti-panhandling laws are not as popular in the anglosphere as they used to be. a quick google suggests that is as true in nz as anywhere else --- municipalities are not forbidden to pass anti-panhandling laws, but many choose not to do so

as much as i hate being panhandled maybe higher visibility will induce people to pursue collective action to address homelessness

or maybe life will just get worse and worse every day until i die

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hmm

property investment in oz and nz has had these tax breaks for depreciation which has made property the investment with the highest return for close to a couple decades now. it’s the worst investment because it only benefits landlords and literally steals money from what would have been future home owners. i’m sure similar happening around the world

property investment outside of primary home
should be severely disincentivised. stall the markets until wages have risen. make it illegal to own more than 5 properties, with current hoarders grandfathered in or even some how encourage them to shed property every year . some dude in this city owns over a hundred properties. how the gently caress is that defensible?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
very interesting

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Microsoft to confuse users by removing the blue 'e' that is the Internet

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

The Merkinman posted:

Tbh having 2 different browsers with similar branding was already confusing for users.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

The Merkinman posted:

it is an e tho

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's a c for chredge, obviously.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It kind of looks like Firefox' new logo

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The Merkinman posted:

looks alright. chrome edge might be the only good browser in the future given google’s determination to make chrome worse.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The Merkinman posted:

it looks like the logo of one of those browsers that come with android devices that aren't allowed to ship with chrome

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

spankmeister posted:

It kind of looks like Firefox' new logo

that was my thought too. it definitely has vibes of

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

it looks like the logo of one of those browsers that come with android devices that aren't allowed to ship with chrome

though. itll look completely out of place with all the other system icons so its par for the course

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
ironic that for a program called edge they're switching a logo with zero hard edges

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's not that ironic, the product also contains no edge

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

nadella got a 60% raise cause apparently they pay by word count at Microsoft

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

PleasureKevin posted:

he's done a better job for the company than ballmer. ballmer took over in 2000 and was never able to get the stock price back to what it was when he started. since satya took over, the numbers have done nothing but improve. satya has made microsoft a fuckton of money.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
now wait a second! ballmer gave us windows vista, windows 8, the zune, the start button removal, windows phone 7, windowsRT, uh....never mind

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

PleasureKevin posted:

haha, what the gently caress are you even on about?! money is an illusion and market values a dream, but within that system nadella is *easily* the mvp of the last decade

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

apple should poach nadella

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yeah, cloud services and multi-platform support have been pretty big, not to mention windows/office as a service licensing

i mean, the qa cuts have made the actual user experience absolute loving garbage, but they're making shitloads of money that they weren't before