Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I have a theory, call it crackpot if you want, for why 90s X-Men visual style endures in popularity despite being objectively kind-of terrible:

1. Make sure the characters' faces are stylized and take up huge portions of the frame.
2. Liberal use of the color Gold, with some Blue for contrast, especially on the key characters. Secondary characters can get any color.
3. Make sure Cyclops doesn't have the condom head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Plastic Man #9 (1947), art by Jack Cole.
I just love the way this page is laid out.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Darthemed posted:

Plastic Man #9 (1947), art by Jack Cole.
I just love the way this page is laid out.

God yes, I love golden-age stuff like this. There's a lot of comics from that era that were cranked out with rough art and writing that felt like a fever dream, but then there were gems like these by people with skill and wit willing to experiment, both writing and art-wise. Mad Magazine's first dozen or so issues are all like this and they're all still amazing today.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm glad I stopped buying comic books in the eighties.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm glad I stopped buying comic books in the eighties.

I wish I had been that smart. :sigh:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Honestly I was too young for the comics, X-Men's continuity was nigh-impenetrable for an elementary age kid. But the cartoon, video games and action figures? Those were my poo poo.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Honestly I was too young for the comics, X-Men's continuity was nigh-impenetrable for an elementary age kid. But the cartoon, video games and action figures? Those were my poo poo.
Check out /r/xmen on Reddit. A good half of the posts are nostalgia jerking over the 90s cartoons, video games, and action figures. The cultural penetration it had was insane relative to other decades.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I know. I was very penetrated.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

For a while my favorite X-man was Maggott

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

A Bride's Tale has very fancy camels.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'm definitely a 90's X-man man. Even though so much of it is objectively terribad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DarkCrawler posted:

I'm definitely a 90's X-man man. Even though so much of it is objectively terribad.

Specifically X-Man.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
Great thread.
https://twitter.com/DanSchkade/status/1179160242392842240

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Shadowman #5 (1999)
Mat Broome (penciler)/Sal Regla (inker)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Darthemed posted:

Shadowman #5 (1999)

DETECTIVE! YOU NEED TO SEE THIS! I CAN FIT MY WHOLE FIST IN MY MOUTH!
AND MY OTHER FIST!
AND MY FEET!
AND THE SARGE'S FEET!
AND

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Darthemed posted:

Shadowman #5 (1999)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
that panel would probably look unironically good with a more stylized coloring style (especially if the rest of the comic had a similar level of stylization)

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I dunno, it still looks like he's turning his face twenty degrees further than the rest of his head.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sklqvDSGjCA

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
So I read this glowing write up of Immortal Hulk and they were gushing over the art and, while it's interesting in a sense, I'm gently caress all if I can figure out what's going on in any of it which is what good storytelling should do.

https://www.avclub.com/immortal-hulk-smashes-the-universe-in-an-apocalyptic-mi-1839355874

I don't think it's that great :shrug:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Which page are you having a problem with? The weird looking alien people, or the one at the end with the intentionally abstract looking image?

I haven’t read the actual issue yet either, I only flipped through it at the store because the owner said it was weird as gently caress. It’s more like something from Silver Surfer: Black than the usual hellish monsters from Immortal Hulk.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

So I read this glowing write up of Immortal Hulk and they were gushing over the art and, while it's interesting in a sense, I'm gently caress all if I can figure out what's going on in any of it which is what good storytelling should do.

https://www.avclub.com/immortal-hulk-smashes-the-universe-in-an-apocalyptic-mi-1839355874

I don't think it's that great :shrug:

I mean, it's fairly clear to me in the pages posted, but it isn't that great or anything. There's nothing to actually anchor yourself to visually aside from the letterboxes. I think it's the lack of faces on the aliens, they're drawn and posed as humanoids but my chimpanzee brain isn't attaching itself to any of them. That said, I've seen dozens, if not hundreds of pages where I've had the opposite problem-- too many generic faces and none of them exist as a proper focal point to contextualize the rest of the page--so don't think I'm saying "the aliens should have faces."

There's nothing egregious about it though, it just looks like generic "trippy sci-fi dream sequence" notebook doodles. The kind of designs that will almost certainly never be used outside of this writer/artist's tenure on the book.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Darthemed posted:

Shadowman #5 (1999)

This is the Good/Bad Art thread, not the loving Amazing Art Thread

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Yeah I don't have a problem with that either, it's exaggerated but it looks fun and dynamic to me :shrug:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

What's not to love about a man who can fit his entire head into his own mouth.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Matt Broome was very nice when met him at WizWorld Chicago.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Lobok posted:

DETECTIVE! YOU NEED TO SEE THIS! I CAN FIT MY WHOLE FIST IN MY MOUTH!
AND MY OTHER FIST!
AND MY FEET!
AND THE SARGE'S FEET!
AND

MY TEETH HAVE TURNED INTO TWO WHITE BLOCKS WITHOUT ANY SPACES IN BETWEEN

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The cartoon gave you the look of the comics, the weird soap opera acting and VA work, and they streamlined the lore.

If you were a kid when it landed, it also felt like the 'mature' series in contrast to like the Marvel Action Hour.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Darthemed posted:

Shadowman #5 (1999)

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

I would be very annoyed if i opened up that issue and the dialogue wasn't just

"Guuuuuuhhhhh" "AAAAAAAAAA"
"Oooooouughhh" "Huuuuuhhhhh"
"Mmmmhhmhhh" "OooOoOOooOo~♪"
"HUHHH!!" "HUURGH!!"

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

What it's like to bite into a York Peppermint Patty.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Punching down, but here are highlights from the Marvel Mangaverse.

UDON Studio didn't put much effort in.

Nor did Chuck Austen.

Because most of it was Ben Dunn.
:nws: broken anatomy Irongirl

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I hate that guy.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

There was this really weird period in the 90s and early 00s where anime was just straight up referred to as Japanimation.

Then Western artists tried to cash in on that specific look and it was the nightmare scenario you see above.

Have some good art from Beastars to balance out the :barf:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

A cover full of o-faces

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

what did we do to deserve this

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

So did anyone actually die?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I don't think most of those characters have been seen outside of cameos in 20 straight years, so all of them?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The bigger question is, can you name a single character on that cover?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

When I think of 2099 I'm like oh yeah, Spider-Man, Doom, Punisher... I honestly forgot there even was an X-Men 2099.