Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Julio Cruz posted:

I've no idea what the government page containing immigration rules and regs is (probably region-blocked so you can't access it outside the UK) but I'm entirely unsurprised that it's not where the logical place to put it would be

why would you region-block government webpages so you cant read them outside the UK? i have experienced this once in the US (the illinois DMV webpage, which you can't access from the UK but if oyu VPN to a USA node you can read it). what is the purpose?

e: here a cat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

bump_fn posted:

why would you region-block government webpages so you cant read them outside the UK? i have experienced this once in the US (the illinois DMV webpage, which you can't access from the UK but if oyu VPN to a USA node you can read it). what is the purpose?

in the case of the Illinois DMV, presumably to cut down on traffic to keep the page working smoothly

in the case of government immigration information, making it as hard as possible for people to immigrate here

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Julio Cruz posted:

I've no idea what the government page containing immigration rules and regs is (probably region-blocked so you can't access it outside the UK) but I'm entirely unsurprised that it's not where the logical place to put it would be

in defence of the government digital service it's https://www.gov.uk/apply-to-come-to-the-uk

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Cerv posted:

you’re in danger of holding to an impossible standard there. Even if Johnson went back on everything he’s said for 3 years and revoked article 50 today, there’s nothing to stop whichever tort immediately replaced him as PM invoking again.
“No-deal Brexit is off the table” can always be found to have a hole. See people last week fretting that we could the the end of the two year transition in the withdrawal agreement without a free trade deal have been ratified.

True, but I do think it is better to wait for the 31st before going "okay, now", because it contains 1) The best appereance of success and 2) It forces all of the lies to become obvious lies.

Saying that I do get the frustration, I simply disagree in this instance.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Doccykins posted:

lol who was complaining earlier about Diane Abbott going quiet

https://twitter.com/matt_dathan/status/1188844371598368770

Id much rather have dianne abbot as pm than... Ugh... "Big John"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Communist Thoughts posted:

Id much rather have dianne abbot as pm than... Ugh... "Big John"

But he also says things like this?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

When you see it... https://twitter.com/jmartNYT/status/1188849614428000256?s=19

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

am i suppsoed to be laughing at his wife wanting vodka and painkillers or obama tucking him into bed cause its both right

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

bump_fn posted:

am i suppsoed to be laughing at his wife wanting vodka and painkillers or obama tucking him into bed cause its both right

I think it's the casual 'went to see basketball with a black man'

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

bump_fn posted:

I mean the first bit sounds extremely Tory Wife but the tuck-in less so

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

I mean between:

- his missus trying to OD on booze and painkillers
- Obama tucking him gently into bed

and

- Randy Bumgardner

that page is rather a lot. Might have to pick up that book now

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

He said no buts

One but is allowed.
You can't argue with that logic.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It also reads like a letter to Penthouse

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Miftan posted:

My favourite thing about the current lib dem policy is that it's a) revoke, not 2nd ref and b) we want a 2nd ref more than labour - at the same time.

Mine is that it's laughably irrelevant because anything that seems vaguely decent will inevitably not survive the coalition with the tories that will be the result of them getting even a sniff of power.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1188861424451366919

fIvE p CaRrIeR bAg ChArGe

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Can we run 2 2nd referdenums at once? One libden run and one labour run?
Not sure whos results we will use but itll all fix itself

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

watch them gently caress it

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You're not polishing them hard enough.

quote:

The Gravity Probe B experiment comprised four London moment gyroscopes and a reference telescope sighted on HR8703 (also known as IM Pegasi), a binary star in the constellation Pegasus. In polar orbit, with the gyro spin directions also pointing toward HR8703, the frame-dragging and geodetic effects came out at right angles, each gyroscope measuring both.

The gyroscopes were housed in a dewar of superfluid helium, maintaining a temperature of under 2 kelvins (−271 °C; −456 °F). Near-absolute zero temperatures were required to minimize molecular interference, and enable the lead and niobium components of the gyroscope mechanisms to become superconductive.

At the time of their manufacture, the gyroscopes were the most nearly spherical objects ever made. (Two gyroscopes still hold that record, but third place has been taken by the silicon spheres made by the Avogadro project.) Approximately the size of ping pong balls, they were perfectly round to within forty atoms (less than 10 nm). If one of these spheres were scaled to the size of the Earth, the tallest mountains and deepest ocean trench would measure only 2.4 m (8 ft) high.[25] They were composed of fused quartz and coated with an extremely thin layer of niobium. A primary concern was minimizing any influence on their spin, so the gyroscopes could never touch their containing compartment. They were held suspended with electric fields, spun up using a flow of helium gas, and their spin axes were sensed by monitoring the magnetic field of the superconductive niobium layer with SQUIDs. (A spinning superconductor generates a magnetic field precisely aligned with the rotation axis; see London moment.)

(N.B. if your testicles are round enough to measure the curvature of space-time, seek medical attention a lucrative book deal)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Any of you wall fodders wit ha Times subscription please share with us these articles https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/may-at-10-by-anthony-seldon-grumpy-theresa-was-terrible-campaigner-say-ex-aides-rkkch2mgj

and https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...-with-wt05nx2qh

They're apparently delightful knives into May's tenure.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Miftan posted:

I think it's the casual 'went to see basketball with a black man'

Obama's pretty famously a huge basketball fan though?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

We have a referendum on which result we use, duh.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Strom Cuzewon posted:

quote:

(A spinning smooth brain generates a magnetic field precisely aligned with the rotation axis; see London moment.)

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Quick question to everyone, does anyone know a cheap place to rent a car for a few weeks?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

[/quote]

Stop posting photoshopped pictures of Cummings, please

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Ideal Brexit outcome. Nothing changes except libdems all lose their EU citizenship.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Failed Imagineer posted:

I mean between:

- his missus trying to OD on booze and painkillers
- Obama tucking him gently into bed

and

- Randy Bumgardner

that page is rather a lot. Might have to pick up that book now
Just be sure to steal it when you do.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Julio Cruz posted:

Obama's pretty famously a huge basketball fan though?

It just seemed weird to mr to mention that in the context of that page, but maybe I'm wrong. :shrug:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Doing a bunch of oxy and getting tucked into bed by the US President sounds rad as hell.

Not the current one. Abe Lincoln maybe.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
wasn't turning the uk into singapore the entire point

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Labour tabling amendments here is the only way to salvage the optics, and putting on a second ref amendment is the best one they can use because it utterly fucks the Lib Dems. Labour aren't stealing votes from Tories at this point, all they can do is depress turnout. But a lot of prospective LD voters will see perfect as the enemy of good, and also remember what Jo "Is A Tory" Swinson was saying was LD policy right up to the moment Corbyn agreed with her.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Not the current one. Abe Lincoln maybe.

Is it bad how much I would pay to see Lord Palmerston getting chokeslammed through a bed by Abe Lincoln?

Jimbola
Sep 27, 2005

I say, what a dapper young fellow.
Fun Shoe
Labour are being utterly pathetic here. We should just go for the election. We can't dodge it forever.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

bump_fn posted:

In the case of the illinois DMV webpage its almost certainly a measure to limit things like DDoS attacks and intrusion attempts. Government webpages, even relatively obscure local ones, are subject to a staggering amount of attacks, primarily from Russia, China and SE Asia.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Jimbola posted:

Labour are being utterly pathetic here. We should just go for the election. We can't dodge it forever.

Yeah let's just schedule an election which specifically disenfranchises a large part of the public who would in large numbers back Labour.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
https://twitter.com/tompeck/status/1188870324374441984
https://twitter.com/tompeck/status/1188874444204335104

really enjoying how mad Tom Peck is about Corbyn being funnier than him

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

EvilHawk posted:

Yeah let's just schedule an election which specifically disenfranchises a large part of the public who would in large numbers back Labour.

The student thing has been disproven already. This is just the next fallback position after the last one. Now he’s saying it will be dark.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Pesmerga posted:

The student thing has been disproven already. This is just the next fallback position after the last one. Now he’s saying it will be dark.

Exactly how has it been disproven?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Josef bugman posted:

Quick question to everyone, does anyone know a cheap place to rent a car for a few weeks?

Thrifty are very cheap and (despite the slight shonkiness of their website) very good.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

EvilHawk posted:

Exactly how has it been disproven?

because Corbyn bad, obviously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Corbyn's attack on the 12th date might encourage the government not to play hijinx with the LDEM+SNP amendment for the 9th and instead just endorse it

the ERG are making noises about rebelling against the whip so it might need not just LDEM+SNP but every Labour rebel it can get