Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I'm honestly surprised Trump hasn't had a tweet about how totally not mad he is about getting booed last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

alpha_destroy posted:

The key to understanding the WWE thing is that the fans are, well, poor. And also the fans are not nearly as white as the ownership, obviously.

Edit: y'all remember Daniel Bryan's incredible face run where he was essentially Occupy? Like, they even ran an Occupy RAW angle.

This is very true. Wrestling fans get a bad rap due to the stereotypes. They are generally poor, but they are a pretty diverse group of people and pretty open-minded. If everyone came together for an evening of watching people in spandex pretend to fight each other you tend not to be too judgemental.

Tibalt posted:

His recent heel turn was "I'm a vegan who hates boomers and wants to fight climate change" and it got my cousin to try meatless Mondays lol

That was a perfect example of McMahon not knowing how to book for his audience, When Bryan gives a ranting promo about the hypothetical cow Daisy who died to make the leather championship belt so he throws it away and reveals the new hemp belt because he didn't want to be a hypocrite the crowd reacting by breaking into a giant chant of "Thank you Daisy!" was not what I think management was expecting.

1glitch0 fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 28, 2019

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
If white people can convince lovely bigoted white people to be less lovely and bigoted, please, loving do so. They’ll listen to other while people due to misplaced implicit trust but for the love of god exploit that to make less assholes in the world, because they won’t listen to us.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

VitalSigns posted:

D) People who are so stupid and/or senile that his word salad sounds like their own internal thought processes

This is actually the biggest part of his support.

teen witch posted:

If white people can convince lovely bigoted white people to be less lovely and bigoted, please, loving do so. They’ll listen to other while people due to misplaced implicit trust but for the love of god exploit that to make less assholes in the world, because they won’t listen to us.

And if we can fart unicorns out of our buttholes that'll vote dem we should do that too

Tuff Scrote
Apr 23, 2004
We need to have a radical reconstruction after Trump with Federally mandated opening of planned parenthood’s in all major Red state cities, pride parades weekly, gun buy backs, and wind farm creation. Also replace Fox News with PBS

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I'm honestly surprised Trump hasn't had a tweet about how totally not mad he is about getting booed last night.

Don't worry it was just at Melania anyway.

Goddamn I love The Onion:

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1188867130059571200

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

betaraywil posted:

My retirement account's rate of return was 0% last quarter and I was too scared to try to work out whether that means any gains were wiped out by losses or whether that means my contribution was wiped out by losses.

I mean... S&P 500 is up .47% from it's all time high 3 months ago. Your earnings are probably flat if you're comparing it to that

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

He had a bunch of people telling him that they were either a) saying "Boo-urns!" or b) just a bunch of rich effete elitist snobs booing the President because Middle America loves him. Small wonder.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

It sucks that the mother may be charged in a situation like the car seat thing, but what is the alternative? You can’t really compromise safety laws, let alone for infants. That type of problem is resolved via large scale societal fixes when it comes down to it.

Also I just wanted to say, the reason it’s bad for a superior to have a relationship with an employee is not because “they will get good shifts and lower employee morale” or whatever the gently caress. The problem is that person can feel forced to get into the relationship and forced to stay in it. In addition to other things they may feel forced into.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

1glitch0 posted:

This is very true. Wrestling fans get a bad rap due to the stereotypes. They are generally poor, but they are a pretty diverse group of people and pretty open-minded. If everyone came together for an evening of watching people in spandex pretend to fight each other you tend not to be too judgemental.

That was a perfect example of McMahon not knowing how to book for his audience, When Bryan gives a ranting promo about the hypothetical cow Daisy who died to make the leather championship belt so he throws it away and reveals the new hemp belt because he didn't want to be a hypocrite the crowd reaction breaking into a giant chant of "Thank you Daisy!" was not what I think management was expecting.

people like Vince (and most reactionary politicians like, say, Trump) literally can't fathom apathy. Like, most people in that stadium probably weren't vegan or vegetarian, they probably had very little opinion on the issue besides sharing normie rear end 'uh I hope heaven has BACON' memes and poo poo, but Vince, being a reactionary petty freak, assumes everyone else works themselves into a near rage stroke when they pass a vegan market, so all the bad guy has to do is say 'I'm vegan' and OBVIOUSLY everyone else will go 'OH GOD gently caress YOU'.

Funny enough they got it right with Punk because they took the time to make his straight edge stuff sanctimonious and confrontational and lovely instead of just saying 'I don't drink' and expecting everyone to boo.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Do you guys think that if she was white she would be charged?

lol no

This is the police trying to clear their own from the manslaughter charge.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

He had a bunch of people telling him that they were either a) saying "Boo-urns!" or b) just a bunch of rich effete elitist snobs booing the President because Middle America loves him. Small wonder.

I'm going with c) He's such a little baby bitch that he doesn't actually have any courage or understanding of how to respond when he's actually called out to his face and just turtles up instead

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PoopShipDestroyer posted:

Is this a thing at some hospitals? My wife is a pediatrician at a hospital and the company policy is that they're not even allowed to help at all with the car seat. A liability thing, probably. She gets really irritated when parents who have known their babies were coming for 9 months get discharged and have not already put their car seats in.

It is specifically something I know is done for young children in military medicine. A nurse walks the parent out and carries that kid with them to ensure the child gets into the car unharmed and is properly secured.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Did everyone already see the “beautiful” dog quote? He still doesn’t know what these creatures are... but wants to maybe have a dog pageant?

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 28, 2019

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/Ilhan/status/1188880105835134976

Here we go again!

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Tibalt posted:

His recent heel turn was "I'm a vegan who hates boomers and wants to fight climate change" and it got my cousin to try meatless Mondays lol

It is insane that Vince thinks that is a Heel Turn lol, and it owns that the audience loved him

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

TulliusCicero posted:

It is insane that Vince thinks that is a Heel Turn lol, and it owns that the audience loved him

they made a new championship belt for him out of hemp because the other one had leather straps

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

they made a new championship belt for him out of hemp because the other one had leather straps

Did he get "smoke the belt" chants or did I hallucinate that?

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
I don't know why everyone is saying they were booing trump, I mean it was a whole stadium of people just there to see trump, how could they not like him??

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/lukeoneil47/status/1188868723228270595

https://twitter.com/EyesOnTheRight/status/1188342996749737985

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1188863357778051072

gently caress facebook.
https://twitter.com/threadreaderapp/status/1188814003851726849

Kale
May 14, 2010

Edge & Christian posted:

How many of those people were just mad about getting beat by someone playing as Bill in NBA Jam though?

This guy gets it. Truly a force to be reckoned with that Bill Clinton and Sub Zero line.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Cabbit posted:

Did he get "smoke the belt" chants or did I hallucinate that?

I havent watched any WWE TV in over 2 years.

I get some of the scuttlebutt from twitter, but I actively can not watch a billionaire exploiting nonunionized talent so I really dont know.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/edgeofday/status/1188267473822535682
https://twitter.com/MichLKosinski/status/1188843900280160256
https://twitter.com/josh_wingrove/status/1188864568489103360?s=20
https://twitter.com/brianbeutler/status/1188833543050452993
https://twitter.com/JesseRodriguez/status/1188883522695643136

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 28, 2019

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Reminder that trump fired the one that was being aggressive against drug companies and their pricing, which gets replaced by someone that tripled insulin prices, so you can see who he is taking orders from on that subject.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

This makes me wonder if they offed him now because they figure they're going to lose the assets / access soon -- might as well burn it all down while we can, even if it would have been more useful to monitor.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

NmareBfly posted:

This makes me wonder if they offed him now because they figure they're going to lose the assets / access soon -- might as well burn it all down while we can, even if it would have been more useful to monitor.

from what it sounds like trumps dumb pullout almost ruined it.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ice Phisherman posted:

I talked to a friend of mine who over time I've slowly been deconverting from chud or chud adjacent to...If not woke, at least the Christian conservative version, with a trajectory towards Christian anarchism.
*snip story about making enormous efforts for the most minor vocal concessions*

I'd bet money that every single time you almost broke through, he went to whatever right-wing echo chambers he frequents, was reassured that you are wrong, and he may or may not have called you his "liberal soy cuck friend"

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

betaraywil posted:

My retirement account's rate of return was 0% last quarter and I was too scared to try to work out whether that means any gains were wiped out by losses or whether that means my contribution was wiped out by losses.

The stock market, on average, has been stagnant since that mini crash in late January 2018. The Dow Jones reached like 27,000 or so then, slowly crawled back up and hit slightly higher record highs in September 2018, then really crashed down that winter. It's now at around 27,000 again. So if you're comparing since early 2018, you really haven't made any money except for dividends, if applicable.

Stock market was really good for Trump's first year. It's been suck for about the past two, wildly oscillating between crashes and slightly higher record highs. Don't check it too often is my advice lest you check it during a crash and then panic sell.

Edit: Dow Jones, not S&P

small butter fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 28, 2019

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

TulliusCicero posted:

Don't forget that Vince pushed Reigns as a face despite him having the charisma of an eggplant, and enough free heat to thaw Alaska. I mean they even had the Rock try and push him and The Rock got booed.

Though apparently fan reception has improved after they moved him to Smackdown?

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

I think there are more indicators outside of the "sir" stories being wholly made up. He says "frankly" a lot when you know he's just filling things in as he goes or when he wants to sound smarter.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
There was actually an interesting video that came out recently that looked at why people join the alt-right, and what can be done to pull them away from the ledge (while also acknowledging there are often more important things you could or should be doing as opposed to fruitlessly trying to convince chuds they're being idiots). Well worth a watch imo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P55t6eryY3g

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
I don't even think that's an accurate description of what the Democrats have said.

"Focusing on" isn't "The Sole Focus"

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

PoopShipDestroyer posted:

Is this a thing at some hospitals? My wife is a pediatrician at a hospital and the company policy is that they're not even allowed to help at all with the car seat. A liability thing, probably. She gets really irritated when parents who have known their babies were coming for 9 months get discharged and have not already put their car seats in.

this blows my mind because we were not permitted to leave the hospital without demonstrating to hospital staff that we had a car seat, we knew how to install it properly, and we had it installed properly at the time kiddo and mom got discharged.

We showed up at the hospital with a not-installed carseat, because kid came a month earlier than we were expecting. Staff was quite helpful.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It never gets old how whenever the Right is in power, they draw distinct battle lines on both a political and personal level, but the moment they are on their back foot, lefties and centrists go right back to pretending they are salvageable and just really mean well but are confused

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Kurieg posted:

Don't forget that Vince pushed Reigns as a face despite him having the charisma of an eggplant, and enough free heat to thaw Alaska. I mean they even had the Rock try and push him and The Rock got booed.

it's improved after it was revealed that the dude they got really mad about for the stupidest reasons was a cancer survivor and had a recurrence and was going to have to take time off for treatment

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
As a trans person, all the people posting kind of pie in the sky "just talk to the alt righters and convince them" takes just makes me tired.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CascadeBeta posted:

As a trans person, all the people posting kind of pie in the sky "just talk to the alt righters and convince them" takes just makes me tired.

As though said alt-righters wouldn't line them up against the wall given the opportunity/power structure.

These people are our enemies

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/maxwelltani/status/1188847895648321538?s=19

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

booseek posted:

The stock market, on average, has been stagnant since that mini crash in late January 2018. The S&P reached like 27,000 or so then, slowly crawled back up and hit slightly higher record highs in September 2018, then really crashed down that winter. It's now at around 27,000 again. So if you're comparing since early 2018, you really haven't made any money except for dividends, if applicable.
The S&P has never hit 27,000. All-time high is 3,025 at close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Kurieg posted:

Reigns at looks good in the ring. Fan reaction was more about him getting endlessly pushed to be The Guy when no one wanted him than people actually hayving him as a wrestler. Taking him off a front burner in combination with his slow but eventual growth on the mic probably did a lot to rehabilitate fan attitudes.