Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Rinkles posted:

After hesitating earlier, why did Angela decide to arrest the old guy after she learned he was her grandfather and that he was (likely) right about her boss being scum? Shock?

(Also did she leave a hundred year old man chained to a chair, without food and possibly water, for the better part of 24 hours?)

Angela is conflicted between her previously black and white worldview and the questions her grandfather is posing. In reaction to this she arrests him in an attempt to reinforce her world view. And then the ending of the episode happens leaving her questioning things further I imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Rinkles posted:

After hesitating earlier, why did Angela decide to arrest the old guy after she learned he was her grandfather and that he was (likely) right about her boss being scum? Shock?

From what we've seen so far Angela is a character that acts and doesn't sit back and wonder what to do. Regina King does a good job in that scene conveying she doesn't know what to do with this new information and is having a ton of conflicting thoughts especially as she puts him in the car. She still feels likes she needs to do something though and so she arrests him for now.

Who knows if they would have made it to the police department without talking and her changing her mind.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

KoRMaK posted:

IMDB says jermy irons is viedt. and while I'm on board with that as a speculation, has it actually been confirmed in or stated in the show? Did one of the clones call him adrian and i missed it? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7049682/

IMDB is often user generated content and it still blows my mind that people cite it as a source of anything.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Mantis42 posted:

Ehh I'm enjoying the show but the comic is so incredibly intricate in it's form and writing, nearly every page having some kind of hidden visual pun, reoccurring motif, or subtle foreshadowing, that I don't see the show coming close to equaling it. Obviously it's too early to really tell.

In regards to visual form/structure, editing, sound design, etc, the show is remarkably dense in this same regard so far. It might not reach the same heights as the comic, especially being in a vastly different format, but its most definitely trying to pack in as much visual/sound subtlety into every scene as the comic has. The editing alone is absolutely putting every artistic theory on editing to work. Even just two episodes in theyre have a ton of fun with juxtaposition and shot/scene transition to hint at deeper meaning.

Ive watched the pilot 3 times already and on each viewing Ive caught a bunch of new stuff.

Even this last time I watched it, its not quite a "pun", but you can hear the electric engines of the cars "powering down" when turned off. This is most noticeable when Judd gets his tires spiked and gets outta the truck. Its such a subtle touch of world building, but so stark in contrast of what we know cars to sound like in our world.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
There was a loving split diopter shot in this episode and I’m here for that de Palma poo poo

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Colonel Whitey posted:

There was a loving split diopter shot in this episode and I’m here for that de Palma poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcZ2OY5-TeM

AccountSupervisor posted:

In regards to visual form/structure, editing, sound design, etc, the show is remarkably dense in this same regard so far. It might not reach the same heights as the comic, especially being in a vastly different format, but its most definitely trying to pack in as much visual/sound subtlety into every scene as the comic has. The editing alone is absolutely putting every artistic theory on editing to work. Even just two episodes in theyre have a ton of fun with juxtaposition and shot/scene transition to hint at deeper meaning.

Ive watched the pilot 3 times already and on each viewing Ive caught a bunch of new stuff.

Even this last time I watched it, its not quite a "pun", but you can hear the electric engines of the cars "powering down" when turned off. This is most noticeable when Judd gets his tires spiked and gets outta the truck. Its such a subtle touch of world building, but so stark in contrast of what we know cars to sound like in our world.
It does such a good job and is so stimulating that I plan on rewatching and at least putting together a list of "things that were interesting to note."

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Yeah Looking Glass, at least the actor who plays him is kinda giving a weird performance that I’m not sure if it works (so far). The delivery of his line “crying under this mask” or whatever was groan worthy. I’m hoping the show picks up steam. So far it’s just another lindelof mystery box show.

I've had the exact opposite reaction. I thought that cheesy line only worked because of Tim Blake Nelson, and would've seen incredibly corny coming from someone else. I love what he's doing with that character, but then again I've always been a Tim Blake Nelson fan.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

He's taken his mask off several times already, notably with the Chief...

Didn't the chief have to tell him to take it off?

broken sm57 posted:

Although looking glass really leans on Rorschach’s aesthetics, I actually kind of think they’re positioning Sister Night as more of a Rorschach figure.

Agreed. The character of Looking Glass is clearly the one most directly inspired by Rorschach, but I think Sister Night is going to play a role in this story similar to the role Rorschach played in the original story.

Colonel Whitey posted:

Love that poo poo.

For the folks who think this pales in comparison to the intricacy of the original comic: I don't think it's possible to make a live-action adaptation or reinterpretation that will please you. I have no idea if they will stick the landing, but two episodes in, this seems about as visually and thematically intricate as television gets.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Blotto_Otter posted:

Didn't the chief have to tell him to take it off?

He did and even so he only rolled it up to his forehead keeping the mask still on his head.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Blotto_Otter posted:

I've had the exact opposite reaction. I thought that cheesy line only worked because of Tim Blake Nelson, and would've seen incredibly corny coming from someone else. I love what he's doing with that character, but then again I've always been a Tim Blake Nelson fan.

Exactly. I'm a huge mark for Tim Blake Nelson too, but I still think he's done a great job with what he's had so far. It helps that his character design is the most striking so far. He also got the best scene in the premiere.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

LesterGroans posted:

Exactly. I'm a huge mark for Tim Blake Nelson too, but I still think he's done a great job with what he's had so far. It helps that his character design is the most striking so far. He also got the best scene in the premiere.

I haven't had an opportunity to go back and rewatch it, but at the end of the Nixonville sequence in episode 2, was that a fuckin' early-90s Ford Bronco that I saw him walk towards?

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

"i'm here to tell you the mystery in piecemeal in vague statements"
*reveals main characters family background in the most ham-fisted scene*
"poo poo this is episode 2? whoops"
*flies away in a car*

wow lindelof!!!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zmej posted:

*reveals main characters family background in the most ham-fisted scene*
"poo poo this is episode 2? whoops"
*flies away in a car*

wow lindelof!!!

Could not disagree more with every word of this post.

I'll address just one """"ham-fisted""""

The whole thread involving Angela and LG Jr. was actually quite economical and organic in terms of not only illuminating character but also establishing and delivering exposition in a way that isn't obtrusive. We learn that Angela is a clever cop (the mug), we learn about the history of this world as relates to race relations which seem to be central to the show through the Robert F. "Skip" Gates thing, while also continuing the clever cop building by showing Angela is willing to go around the normal channels to figure stuff out (and that she already suspects she's connected to Will somehow, which is most of the reason she doesn't turn him in, despite what she tells her husband). The call coming in just as the egg timer goes off strongly suggests Will is right about his "friends in high places" and the fact that he knows what the call is about reinforces that. It's completely confirmed when he gets busted loose. So that whole thread gives us critical character information about Will and Angela, establishes a bombshell reveal (that most of us had some inkling of) and gives the viewer a sense about what makes this world different from ours.

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 28, 2019

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

A thought on Hooded Justice:

According to Alan Moores authors notes his costume was originally going to be for a Minuteman called "Brother Night", https://i.redd.it/rlxjpz5i3du31.png

This combined with him being Sister Nights grandfather lends credence to the idea that he's Will, but as various people have pointed out, in the comic justice has white around his eyes.

But in this episode we had a notable shot of Sister Night painting her eye area black. What if he painted them white?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Zmej posted:

This is how literally every mystery story ever written works. Sounds like you just don’t like mysteries at all

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

does no one remember Lost lol

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zmej posted:

If this is your argument against the show, it’s a dumb one

Unrelated, I love the set and art design and there are some really visually evocative scenes. The whole sequence with the red Batman goggles was fantastic. I do wonder how TBN sees/breathes in that mask

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 28, 2019

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Zmej posted:

Lost, was good

So was The Leftovers.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Zmej posted:

Show us on the doll where Lindelof hurt you

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I am so glad that American Hero Story is a Ryan Murphy show, as evidenced by Cheyenne Jackson being cast

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Its so weird to me how people still use Lost against Lindelof as if he didn't just have one of the greatest 3 season runs on a show in HBO history. Lindelof has admitted the failings of Lost and felt he didn't stick the landing with it.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

zoux posted:

If this is your argument against the show, it’s a dumb one

Unrelated, I love the set and art design and there are some really visually evocative scenes. The whole sequence with the red Batman goggles was fantastic. I do wonder how TBN sees/breathes in that mask

The mask is a green screen mask on his face with mesh eyeholes and what not. The effects work on it is really well done.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Le Saboteur posted:

Its so weird to me how people still use Lost against Lindelof as if he didn't just have one of the greatest 3 season runs on a show in HBO history. Lindelof has admitted the failings of Lost and felt he didn't stick the landing with it.

Listen if an artist isnt 100% perfect in all creative endeavors they pursue they should simply be locked in a cage and never allowed to grow, learn or do anything ever again.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Kind of glad I never got into Lost, because it seems to have seriously broken some people's brains when it comes to anything else Lindelof has worked on.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Le Saboteur posted:

The mask is a green screen mask on his face with mesh eyeholes and what not. The effects work on it is really well done.

Oh wow, I had no idea. Though I guess it’s obvious in retrospect, the visuals achieved in the pod scene would be really hard to do in-camera

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I mean, Lost was bad after showing early promise, but it's not like it was Dexter or Game of Thrones.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Lost got too deep into the weeds on the sci fi lore stuff but it was still good fun even toward the end. It probably watches better now if you have realistic expectations and aren’t waiting week to week talking about it with your coworkers and whatnot. Still not sure if I liked the ending. The only thing I really didn’t like was killing off Locke and having his body be possessed for the rest of the show. I liked Locke’s character and they did him dirty.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

A lot of Lost's problems came from them not being able to sustain the mystery over 20+ episode seasons (and they've admitted to this point) which is what ABC wanted from them. It took them until a writers strike occurred to get ABC to let them to par down the seasons to reasonable season lengths.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Nail Rat posted:

I mean, Lost was bad after showing early promise, but it's not like it was Dexter or Game of Thrones.

I dunno, we got more than one good season out of both of those at least.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

The Peteypedia article on the re-release of "The Book of Rorschach" album indicates that it is dropping "a couple days after the 24th anniversary of the D.I.E". Surely this should be 34th anniversary, right? Such that Veidt can show up at the end of the season after some time has passed and reminisce on his masterstroke on how he "did it 35 years ago"?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Blotto_Otter posted:

For the folks who think this pales in comparison to the intricacy of the original comic: I don't think it's possible to make a live-action adaptation or reinterpretation that will please you. I have no idea if they will stick the landing, but two episodes in, this seems about as visually and thematically intricate as television gets.

I'm liking the show so far, I'm just responding to the earlier post about the comic not being as important or having gravitas. It didn't really cover the heavy and emotional topic of race, but it's not 'just' about superheroes.

Zmej posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBYp1SbrbkQ&list=PLCMjjEKddprf4leOvXPOwP4IWbafuhfmE&index=7&t=0s

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

So far I'm really impressed with how well this is nailing the Watchmen tone and philosophy. Here's hoping they can stick the Lansing.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
So Veidt isn't really trying to recreate the Dr. Manhattan event, he is just an insane man with an unlimited number of clone servants.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Le Saboteur posted:

A lot of Lost's problems came from them not being able to sustain the mystery over 20+ episode seasons (and they've admitted to this point) which is what ABC wanted from them. It took them until a writers strike occurred to get ABC to let them to par down the seasons to reasonable season lengths.

I got into Twin Peaks in a big way a few years back, and as well all know, that classic ABC show's remarkable drop in quality in season 2 had nothing to do with network demands and a near-tripling of episodes ordered per season, and was purely the result of Mark Frost and David Lynch's incompetence and mystery box shenanigans, and after that failure they never made anything good again, the end

Colonel Whitey posted:

Lost got too deep into the weeds on the sci fi lore stuff but it was still good fun even toward the end. It probably watches better now if you have realistic expectations and aren’t waiting week to week talking about it with your coworkers and whatnot. Still not sure if I liked the ending. The only thing I really didn’t like was killing off Locke and having his body be possessed for the rest of the show. I liked Locke’s character and they did him dirty.

I binge-watched Lost on Netflix right as the final season was airing, and I was far, far less upset by the ending than the people I knew who had been watching it over the previous six years. As I got to watch it in a compressed timeframe, it was much more apparent to me that there was no grand plan to bring everything together at the end, and they were just throwing poo poo at the wall for most of the show's run. But it was still enjoyable and had some good episodes throughout, even towards the end of the show's run. The biggest drop in that show's quality was after season 1; if you made it through the middle of the show, the final seasons are not really any worse than anything that came before.

I don't know that the ending of that show was particularly good, mind you, but I didn't think it was that disappointing or drastic a drop in quality compared to the rest of the show's run, particularly when watched with reasonable expectations for what mid-2000s network television was. And given the dreck that we've gotten since then from JJ Abrams and Carlton Cuse, I'm not sure it's fair to pin the worst of Lost's tendencies solely on Lindelof.

e: completely agree with your spoiler text

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 28, 2019

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ymgve posted:

So Veidt isn't really trying to recreate the Dr. Manhattan event, he is just an insane man with an unlimited number of clone servants.

Or he IS Dr. Manhattan disguised as Veidt. (actually I think the thing Will said about Dr. M disguising himself as actual people is a red herring but we'll see)

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

zoux posted:

Or he IS Dr. Manhattan disguised as Veidt. (actually I think the thing Will said about Dr. M disguising himself as actual people is a red herring but we'll see)

It's going to turn out that every character in the show is Dr. Manhattan, and rather than create new life he just created a bunch of copies of himself and set them all off in little roles to see the possible outcomes of Veidt's plan.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I've never seen Lost or The Leftovers so I'm judging Lindelof entirely on Cowboys v Aliens and Prometheus.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Prometheus was good and there were like seven writers on Cowboys and Aliens, including notable hacks Orci and Kurtzman

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Prometheus is fine but was originally meant to be the first half of a story so its somewhat underwhelming.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

KoRMaK posted:

I thought it was pretty good. He's a hard rear end. Yea he sucks at delivering any sort of emotional information, I like it - tough guy showing he felt about his boss who he probably looked upto like a dad.

Which... do you think glass knows the Sherrif being a 7th calv member?

If he was a true hard rear end he wouldn’t have said that line in the most corny way possible. But aight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Prometheus is great and if you want to see some truly bad writing read the original script--or anything--from Jon Spaihts.

Anyway, I'm definitely going to love the weekly Lost rehashes after every new episode.