Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

idk where Greensboro is but similar designs in Tokyo were aimed at preventing pests like crows and rats scattering the rubbish while they pick through it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

bike tory posted:

idk where Greensboro is but similar designs in Tokyo were aimed at preventing pests like crows and rats scattering the rubbish while they pick through it

I know crows are really smart, but it has a padlock.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

SplitSoul posted:

So does your mothers chastity belt but people get past that all the time.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
kamala voters destryoing the planet even more to own trashcans that lock out the impoverished

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

SplitSoul posted:

haha if you saw some of the measures people took to (try to/usually fail to) thwart the crows where I used to live the padlock wouldn't seem amiss

But also idk why I'm giving benefit of the doubt so they're probably right that it's been installed to try and starve homeless people :/

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

bike tory posted:

why am i not surprised this post came from a Tory

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

bike tory posted:

haha if you saw some of the measures people took to (try to/usually fail to) thwart the crows where I used to live the padlock wouldn't seem amiss

But also idk why I'm giving benefit of the doubt so they're probably right that it's been installed to try and starve homeless people :/

See also cockatoos in Australia.

But no reason it can't be both.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

SplitSoul posted:

Woodland mammals can push trashcans over

But it's still to keep out people

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

bike tory posted:

I had to buy binsprings for my garbage bins because magpies and crows discovered how to flip them open and pull the bags apart.

Not that I have any food waste in my bins.

They're just bastards.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Yeah, you can blame raccoons or bears or crows or rats or whatever you like. We all know who they're trying to thwart.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mushika posted:

Yeah, you can blame raccoons or bears or crows or rats or whatever you like. We all know who they're trying to thwart.

pete buttigieg?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

it’s anti bear. I don’t see any bears in that picture.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

it’s anti bear. I don’t see any bears in that picture.

Bears will pick the lock, and then teach their cubs how to do it.

Bear mothers breed a culture of dependency this way. The only way to prevent this is to enforce stiff penalties and disincentivize---yeah, I can't keep going with this one, sorry.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Warmachine posted:

Bears will pick the lock, and then teach their cubs how to do it.

Bear mothers breed a culture of dependency this way. The only way to prevent this is to enforce stiff penalties and disincentivize---yeah, I can't keep going with this one, sorry.

They use their long acrylic nails to do it.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

They use their long acrylic nails to do it.

But like, realtalk, not making any satrical racist allegory, bears are loving scary smart and don't give two shits about your locks.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Seriously though that trash can was probably originally designed to keep bears out.

I have no idea if bears are a major problem in Greensboro, NC but I somehow doubt it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Seriously though that trash can was probably originally designed to keep bears out.

I have no idea if bears are a major problem in Greensboro, NC but I somehow doubt it.

Brown or black (can't remember which, might be both?) bears live all up and down the East coast as far as I know, but they tend to stay away from cities

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Black bears do wander into cities looking for trash

https://myfox8.com/2019/06/14/security-camera-captures-bear-walking-around-in-greensboro-neighborhood/

Brown bears will too, but don't very often, which is good because they're the murdery ones

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

solution: let the bears eat the homeless

i am centrist

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

thats why you gotta have a bear patrol

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

duz posted:

thats why you gotta have a bear patrol

I go patrolling for bears every weekend.

Just like fishing though please remember that the release is as important as the catch. Allow others to enjoy bear hunting as much as you have.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
:bearget:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dog Case posted:

Black bears do wander into cities looking for trash

https://myfox8.com/2019/06/14/security-camera-captures-bear-walking-around-in-greensboro-neighborhood/

Brown bears will too, but don't very often, which is good because they're the murdery ones

you're thinking of Grizzlies which are brown but arent brown bears. unless theres an east coast brown bear that is primarily a carnivore that's somehow different from the west coast one

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

Brown or black (can't remember which, might be both?) bears live all up and down the East coast as far as I know, but they tend to stay away from cities

What, you can't tell brown and black bears apart? :colbert:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's kind of hosed up how bears are like this and we just let them live in our country. Completely unacceptable if you ask me.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Larry Parrish posted:

you're thinking of Grizzlies which are brown but arent brown bears. unless theres an east coast brown bear that is primarily a carnivore that's somehow different from the west coast one

Grizzlies are a subspecies of brown bear, and are mostly differentiated based on where they live/what food they have access to. If anything grizzlies are only considered meaner because they live in areas where food is harder to find.

Bear facts in the capitalism thread

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Dog Case posted:

Grizzlies are a subspecies of brown bear, and are mostly differentiated based on where they live/what food they have access to. If anything grizzlies are only considered meaner because they live in areas where food is harder to find.

Bear facts in the capitalism thread

But they're closer relatives to polar bears than brown bears. And capitalism means no more polar bears

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sir I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad news but this is the capitalism thread

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

ikanreed posted:

But they're closer relatives to polar bears than brown bears. And capitalism means no more polar bears

fake bear facts gb2 D&D
https://alaskatours.com/alaska-stories/grizzly-bear-or-brown-bear/

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Super predibear

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
Theres no bears in Greenville or Greensboro but theres raccoons which should be given free range over all trashcans because they own so hard

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

my favourite type of bear is an otter, sleek while still having a bit of hair oh yeah

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

See gene flow between insular, coastal, and interior populations of brown bears in Alaska

Which found, among other notable things that "morphologically undistinguished brown bears of the ABC islands of Alaska had a mitochondrial haplotype that were more similar to polar bears than in any other brown bears"

Those Alaskan bears are grizzlies, and many of the other American brown bears in their sample were kodiaks. All technically ursus arctos, but the genetic proximity of the grizzly subspecies to the technically distinct polars is closer.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

spacemang_spliff posted:

Theres no bears in Greenville or Greensboro but theres raccoons which should be given free range over all trashcans because they own so hard

There are occasionally black bear sitings in northern Guilford county

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

ikanreed posted:

yeah but they're interbreeding and now pizzlys are heading south. the pizz tape is real

https://youtu.be/PLkX0Cx_bpw

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Empress Brosephine posted:

bears are a revolutionary animal and absolutely belong in the capitalism thread. they are happy to eat the rich and are tough enough to shrug off a capitalist bullet doing so.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Empress Brosephine posted:

Trouble bruin

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

The Bloop posted:

Trouble bruin

as puns go this is pretty good

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

We did some cash only cross docking at work and we're getting rewarded with brisket sandwiches tomorrow!