Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I don’t think I like that the Dems are doing this but perhaps they’ve done most of what they’ve wanted to do behind closed doors and it’s time for things to go public anyway so might as well do this?

I choose to believe that it is a response to that stunt the other week when people broke into SCIF.

"You want us to air all your dirty laundry immediately? Okay"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1188909031403900928

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Desperately fishing for likes

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

That is loving abhorrent.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

How the hell does one get a blood sample even if you have access to the guy?

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

theflyingorc posted:

Why are you so committed to making sure nobody else tries to pull their loved ones out of the embrace of the alt-right

Because the battle lines have already been drawn, repeatedly, and not by us.

How many loving times does Lucy have to pull the football away before we stop trying to kick it

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Desperately fishing for likes

LIKE: A dog!

:thejoke:

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

theflyingorc posted:

Why are you so committed to making sure nobody else tries to pull their loved ones out of the embrace of the alt-right
KILL U R PARENTS has long been the primary ethos of many posters.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

"please like the dog that exploded that i pretend to care about".

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

theflyingorc posted:

Maybe because it sucks to see people fighting hard to change a nazi, but not fighting nearly as hard to fight for the people the nazi's are targeting.

personal relationships are difficult, but if you had a trans friend, and regularly defended/stood up for a transhopbe in front of them they would likely stop being your friend.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

what the gently caress?

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Party Plane Jones posted:

https://twitter.com/mikedebonis/status/1188901542985904128

well that was a quick turnaround from the bolton aide saying 'no gently caress you not showing up' this morning

Im not sure what the overall strategy is but if it's to satisfy Republican whining, I dont think it will work; the Republicans will just move the goalposts for another excuse why they can (and should) ignore subpoenas.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Saint Celestine posted:

Hasn't the US nearly blown the guy up like half a dozen times? Probably plenty of his blood around.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Maybe because it sucks to see people fighting hard to change a nazi, but not fighting nearly as hard to fight for the people the nazi's are targeting.

personal relationships are difficult, but if you had a trans friend, and regularly defended/stood up for a transhopbe in front of them they would likely stop being your friend.
Thanks for the example that comes loaded with a shitload of assumptions.

Everyone should just watch the video and stop saying stupid things:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P55t6eryY3g

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Meatball posted:

Im not sure what the overall strategy is but if it's to satisfy Republican whining, I dont think it will work; the Republicans will just move the goalposts for another excuse why they can (and should) ignore subpoenas.

i mean sure but than they have even less legal room(they didnt really have any to begin with). i am fine with some dumb ceremonial vote.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

theflyingorc posted:

What assumptions exactly do you have an issue with there?

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

Meatball posted:

While true, I think taking one of the few talking points Republicans are using, at no cost to the Democrats, is a good move. Plus, formally declaring they'll air all the dirty laundry is gonna definitely scare Republicans.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Meatball posted:

The WH has spent the last week getting smacked around by judges, witness, etc CONSTANTLY. It’s a perfect time to counter-punch.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hiro Protagonist posted:

While true, I think taking one of the few talking points Republicans are using, at no cost to the Democrats, is a good move. Plus, formally declaring they'll air all the dirty laundry is gonna definitely scare Republicans.

The fact the Republicans have been asking for it is reason enough not to do it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Meatball posted:

If I give the benefit of the doubt, I can see how this is a counter to that tactic. Not to force them to listen to subpoenas, rather they are formalizing it because it seriously handicaps the ability of the GOP to function until the election. When you draw party lines that hard all it takes is a few dissenters to gently caress everything up, and that may work to our favor.

Essentially they know that all this theater is a stalling tactic until they lose the election, hoping that the cases will be dropped once Trump is out of the office. Which very well may happen.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
did Trump just pay the dog tax

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hiro Protagonist posted:

and again, they already got a court to tell the republicans to go gently caress themselves on all of these arguments so it's being done from a position of strength and it knocks out the only argument republicans have managed to coalesce around, putting them back into complete disarray

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

This is loving sick, and she should sue the poo poo out of her ex husband and Sevaadra

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

evilweasel posted:

gently caress that, us v. nixon is pretty clear on that subject

WH doesn't get a "actually we would prefer that question not get answered" vote

This is probably the long play here. Keep calling bluffs until the WH boxes itself into the same position as Nixon/etc.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

This is loving sick, and she should sue the poo poo out of her ex husband and Sevaadra

I believe that is the very active plan

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
My only complaint with the formal impeachment vote is the part about due process because that's playing into the narrative of Trump, Graham, etc. that the Democrats are going about all this illegally.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Saint Celestine posted:

The way the tweet was worded had me thinking the used underwear was bloody as well. :stare:

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

1.) The process being laid out, from the descriptions in reading, don't seem particularly great for Republicans. It looks like most of the evidence is going to be aired publicly, with all the scandalous details, before the formal articles of impeachment and Senate trial.

2.) I bet you Democratic leadership has gotten some very juicy polling about just how popular this investigation is, so forcing the vote now has turned from "dubious" to "straight D win."

I'm sure the legal element is there, but this seems more about publicity and forcing the vulnerable Republicans to vote.

Edit: seriously, we're seeing 30%+ support for the impeachment inquiry among Republican voters - that's scary if you're a R rep in a purple district and you know things are going to come out soon.

Tibalt fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 28, 2019

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

What assumptions exactly do you have an issue with there?
That every person who has flirted with anything other than hard leftism is a Nazi

That by attempting to pull someone back from radicalization, you are therefore not standing up to any of their bullshit

That you can't head somebody off at the pass who isn't fully radicalized - a person listening to Joe Rogan is a real bad thing, but it doesn't mean that they can't be pulled back.

My brother was dangerously flirting with tumblr-in-action "the SJWs" stuff. Something got in the way and turned him into a hard leftist, and trying to be that thing is fine (it wasn't me that righted him, not sure what it was).

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

theflyingorc posted:

I think age matters when discussing this topic. Teenagers and 20 somethings getting pulled into the alt right can likely be pulled away from it.

If you're 30-40+ and still in the alt right, you're beyond hope of something externally changing that mindset.

There was a really good story a few months back about kid that got really into the alt right, and his parent's didn't know how to handle it other than support him. It was a journey that was completely predictable, and ended with the kid getting out of it. It turned out the kid wasn't alt right but just wanted to belong.

The journey that kid went on isn't that different than the journey many of us went on in our teen years and into adulthood. People willing to make that journey should be supported.

There's a cut-off somewhere.

edit: Link to the article: https://www.washingtonian.com/2019/05/05/what-happened-after-my-13-year-old-son-joined-the-alt-right/

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 28, 2019

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

what the gently caress?
i want to prank call the president as putin to see how fast he gives the name up.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

The fact the Republicans have been asking for it is reason enough not to do it.

Republicans, as we know, only have good ideas, they NEVER shoot themselves in the foot. Never happens.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I have a relative who can't be saved. They're a full on culture warrior who thinks everyone else is dumb.

They're so mired on right wing media that they are just grossly misinformed about everything.

But they choose to be, because it tells them they're right.

So gently caress 'em.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How is something like this not Dukakis in the tank times 10?

Turns out that Republicans don't have any real beliefs. Trump could do the identical thing Dukakis did and his cult would laud him for how tough and brave and perfect he is.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I think age matters when discussing this topic. Teenagers and 20 somethings getting pulled into the alt right can likely be pulled away from it.

If you're 30-40+ and still in the alt right, you're beyond hope of something externally changing that mindset.

There was a really good story a few months back about kid that got really into the alt right, and his parent's didn't know how to handle it other than support him. It was a journey that was completely predictable, and ended with the kid getting out of it. It turned out the kid wasn't alt right but just wanted to belong.

The journey that kid went on isn't that different than the journey many of us went on in our teen years and into adulthood. People willing to make that journey should be supported.

Sure, supposed leftists are arguing that it's impossible to reform antisocial behavior, might as well throw some ageism into the mix.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Honestly, if you are 35+ and still are the kind of insecure that the alt-right is almost entirely made up of then you need professional, not social, therapy. There is a path out but it has to be something done with someone who really knows what they are doing

I say that as someone who was a total mark for the far right before I went to therapy.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Doctor Butts posted:

I have a relative who can't be saved. They're a full on culture warrior who thinks everyone else is dumb.

They're so mired on right wing media that they are just grossly misinformed about everything.

But they choose to be, because it tells them they're right.

So gently caress 'em.

i had a thumb headed chud in at work today and he went on about about the bagdadi kill and how trumps speach was amazing and great and better than obamas.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

theflyingorc posted:

That every person who has flirted with anything other than hard leftism is a Nazi

I apologize in advance for the forthcoming vapors you will catch, but "hard left" is an assumption in and of itself. But no, it seems pretty clear we were talking about CHUDs, not you.

quote:

That by attempting to pull someone back from radicalization, you are therefore not standing up to any of their bullshit

Ostracization is a well proven method of standing up for unacceptable behavior.

quote:

That you can't head somebody off at the pass who isn't fully radicalized - a person listening to Joe Rogan is a real bad thing, but it doesn't mean that they can't be pulled back.

I wouldn't even out Rogan in my top 10 list of dangerous media personalities but sure.

quote:

My brother was dangerously flirting with tumblr-in-action "the SJWs" stuff. Something got in the way and turned him into a hard leftist, and trying to be that thing is fine (it wasn't me that righted him, not sure what it was).

It was probably self-reflection and actualization that had absolutely nothing to do with you, a recurring theme we have been discussing!

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

edit: Link to the article: https://www.washingtonian.com/2019/05/05/what-happened-after-my-13-year-old-son-joined-the-alt-right/

The complete lack of involved parenting in that article is infuriating. In this day and age letting a kid that age have unfettered Internet access is just stupid. Like back before we knew what was going on was one thing. Now you're just sending them out to get radicalized, you have to know that at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Yeah, but my point is only that it's really, really weird to act like, from a vantage point of being a stranger on the internet, that you should be telling somebody else to never, EVER try and that it's always a waste of time.

I have a guy at work who is a Joe Rogan fan - I think that guy can be pulled back in the right opportunity. I have another guy I used to hang out with who became a hardcore Jordan Peterson disciple - I don't talk to that guy anymore, and it would be a complete waste of time to do so.

I really liked the end of the video I re-linked, because it admitted that it isn't your job and a lot of the time your effort could be better used elsewhere. But when opportunity is actually there? It's OK to be part of what makes other people better.