Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Okay I just found out about Pony: The Galloping and as a new player of the MTG TCG I'm about to loving leave

It's a one-off thing for charity mang.

Also Hasbro owns MLP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Tcg player just laid off 15% of their staff. So like 30 people. Which sucks because I know several people there. A couple of them said last week was nuts with all the frontier orders they needed to fill.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

ItBreathes posted:

It's a one-off thing for charity mang.

Also Hasbro owns MLP.

Then it's fine I guess

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM

Cactrot posted:

It wasn't banned in Standard, but Mind's Desire lasted a total of six days before being banned in the non-standard formats of the day.

It was restricted in Vintage right then (which meant banned in type 1.5, now known as Legacy, by default back then) but was always legal as a 4-of in Extended. For the record, nothing feels as good as flipping a Mind's Desire off a Mind's Desire and proceeding to cast the rest of your deck for free.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

evilweasel posted:

I believe they also make an effort to make the card rules text explicable to the rules engine, so it may be that their rules engine doesn't work very well automatically on older cards.

They threw in some old cards into MTGA Momir like Jin-Gitaxis, Ulamog, Furnace Dragon and Grizzlebees so I don't think the rules engine like shits itself if cards aren't explicitly keyworded.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

The way I found out that they put extra stuff into momir was thinking “thank god hoverguard sweepers isn’t on mtga because that’s the only way I can lose this game.” And then they played a hoverguard sweepers. Cards don’t have set symbols on arena so it took me a while of trying to figure out what core set they had been reprinted in until I realized they must have added a bunch of creatures. That was definitely one of the most interesting ways I’ve lost to the sweepers, so that was cool.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Eej posted:

They threw in some old cards into MTGA Momir like Jin-Gitaxis, Ulamog, Furnace Dragon and Grizzlebees so I don't think the rules engine like shits itself if cards aren't explicitly keyworded.

No, but a lot of old cards do some one-off, esoteric poo poo. I'd be surprised if their system natively supported Chains.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The American Dream posted:

Tcg player just laid off 15% of their staff. So like 30 people. Which sucks because I know several people there. A couple of them said last week was nuts with all the frontier orders they needed to fill.

Please tell me Jon Corpora wasn’t one of them, Pretty Deece is a great Magic knockoff of Pretty Good.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

ItBreathes posted:

No, but a lot of old cards do some one-off, esoteric poo poo. I'd be surprised if their system natively supported Chains.

Luckily since we're only talking about bringing Pioneer to MTGA we only have to worry about mostly templated cards! I just used the Momir example to show that yeah they can and have done Some Old Cards.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Someone got a quick recap or link I can read about this Sheldon fellow? Is he a mtgfiance dork?

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Drewjitsu posted:

Someone got a quick recap or link I can read about this Sheldon fellow? Is he a mtgfiance dork?

“Sheldon Menery is a retired Level 5 judge. He also occasionally provided coverage for Pro Tour and StarCityGames tournaments, and writes columns for various Magic websites, most notably StarCityGames. Most of his writing is centered around the Commander format of which he is an avid player. He is also a member of the Commander Rules Committee which recommends bannings in the format.”

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Drewjitsu posted:

Sheldon Menery, “godfather” of EDH. Former judge, store owner, and current head of the completely unsanctioned commander format from rules to banlist.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Yeah, gently caress Sheldon (all the ones I can think of off the top of my head).

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Tips how to stop buying Magic cards like an addict?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I got on the Magic stream and the hosts were talking about their favorite ponies. Nothing wrong with children's toys, a whole lot wrong with Bronies

Some of those hosts have children and also they’re selling a product

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Have 137 pioneer 5-0 decklists:

Broken into archetypes and separate decklists: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/pioneer#paper
Easily searchable on cardnames: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mtgo-standings/pioneer-league-2019-10-28

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just LOL if you think that Commander announcement isn't going to be randomized Commander boosters

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Pioneer seems terrifying to me because I stopped playing right after RtR came out and I’ve basically missed all of M:tG since then, so Pioneer is like 100% cards I’ve never heard of.

As a returning player who absolutely hated Eldrazi the first time around, having to play against Emrakul and Ulamog forever sounds wicked lovely.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Pinkie Pie, Twilight Sparkle, Applejack, Rarity, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash.

Congratulations goons who somehow don’t have nieces, you now know all the main character names. You are now tainted with ponies forever.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

TheKingofSprings posted:

Congratulations goons who somehow don’t have nieces, you now know all the main character names. You are now tainted with ponies forever.

Honestly? It's a quality cartoon, or it was from the reboot until the time it explicitly became a toy commercial again. The writing under Lauren Faust's development is solid.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Nolgthorn posted:

The trick is to think of the world as your personal storage facility. Then you only need to pay a fee to take items out whenever you are going to actually use them.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Have 137 pioneer 5-0 decklists:

Broken into archetypes and separate decklists: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/pioneer#paper
Easily searchable on cardnames: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mtgo-standings/pioneer-league-2019-10-28

Vampire/Black Devotion looks good, like that Drana is finally a constructed card.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nolgthorn posted:

Play Arena so the secondary market aspect doesn't exist and every set has a quite low cash ceiling for full rare playsets

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Just LOL if you think that Commander announcement isn't going to be randomized Commander boosters

Would probably be a fun draft environment.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Nolgthorn posted:

Spend all your money on them.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tainen posted:

Would probably be a fun draft environment.

Commander would be a miserable draft format unless there is a guaranteed Legendary creature in each pack, you draft a LOT more than 3 packs, and most of the commanders have the Partner keyword

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Watch it be be commander precons with fifteen of the ninety-nine cards randomized, like a booster but it costs more.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Commander would be a miserable draft format unless there is a guaranteed Legendary creature in each pack, you draft a LOT more than 3 packs, and most of the commanders have the Partner keyword

My friend wanted to build a commander cube but then we talked through it and yeah thats a shitload of drafting to get anything playable.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Play Arena so the secondary market aspect doesn't exist and every set has a quite low cash ceiling for full rare playsets

"Secondary market" is a bit of a wet noodle with Magic cards since 99 percent of cards are worth literally nothing, and the rest are hardly worth $10 if you are lucky and willing to deal with individually shipping them and whatnot. I'd rather earn money at work, than write people's addresses on things and go to the post office.

The mtgfinance audience confuses me. The volumes of cards they must be dealing with in order to make that hobby worthwhile.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Thinking I'll buy a box per set release, and more or less leave it at that. How many more cards could I possibly need.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Eej posted:

Luckily since we're only talking about bringing Pioneer to MTGA we only have to worry about mostly templated cards! I just used the Momir example to show that yeah they can and have done Some Old Cards.

Chains was just pulling an example from the top of my head. Pioneer might actually be fine in its entirety, but like that artifact from Mirrodin that skips a phase, I doubt that's supported. It's not a matter of some old cards, it's that older cards have a higher probability of messing with the rules in ways they don't really do anymore and thus are unlikely to be picked up by their text parser. Not sure off the top of my head what wild and crazy things they've done in the pioneer sets.

Either way, dropping all those cards would freak out all the people who picked up / came back to magic through MTGA (if oko hasn't already) so they ain't about to do it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I don't think it's a freak out if they phase it in *over years* is all I'm saying. Everyone seems to be interpreting it as "All of Pioneer in MTGA within 1 year" when it makes more sense to just drop a set in the dead time after the meta has settled in standard.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Fair. Mid-set draft changeups sound like a good idea.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

the Orb of Zot posted:

Oversized commander decks, containing value reprints like Mox Opal, Jace the Mind Sculptor, and Black Lotus!
they actually could reprint Black Lotus as an oversized card without breaking the reserved list

Functional repints of the ABU duals that are only legal in commander but also some rules chicanery so that you can't have Volcanic Island and Bolcanic Bisland in your deck.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Is it really so amazing to you that some of us might be only children

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

The EDH announcement is just gonna be Commander Anthology 3 or some poo poo, maybe with a few bonus reprints included in the box, like Teferis Protection and Doubling Season. Msrp $499

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

TheKingofSprings posted:

You forgot Starlight Glimmer.

That was only really in the later seasons though.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Okay I just found out about Pony: The Galloping and as a new player of the MTG TCG I'm about to loving leave

good, bye

Silhouette posted:

The EDH announcement is just gonna be Commander Anthology 3 or some poo poo, maybe with a few bonus reprints included in the box, like Teferis Protection and Doubling Season. Msrp $499

It'd be really nice if they printed a Commander Anthology 3 at a reasonable price and didn't intentionally sabotage it by including one or two notable stinkers.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kurieg posted:

Functional repints of the ABU duals that are only legal in commander but also some rules chicanery so that you can't have Volcanic Island and Bolcanic Bisland in your deck.

those basically already exist, the battlebond lands

the only real difference is the land types

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nolgthorn posted:

"Secondary market" is a bit of a wet noodle with Magic cards since 99 percent of cards are worth literally nothing, and the rest are hardly worth $10 if you are lucky and willing to deal with individually shipping them and whatnot. I'd rather earn money at work, than write people's addresses on things and go to the post office.

The mtgfinance audience confuses me. The volumes of cards they must be dealing with in order to make that hobby worthwhile.

I only play on Arena these days. I drop a C-Note every time a new sets drops on Arena and laugh at how much paper players spend