Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

gently caress them, seriously. They complained that they 'gave up 10 yesrs of their life'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

https://news.avclub.com/based-on-th...source=Facebook

How the gently caress did they manage to make season 1 such a good adaptation of GoT?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Junkenstein posted:

How the gently caress did they manage to make season 1 such a good adaptation of GoT?

They hit a casting jackpot between Sean Bean, Mark Addy, Lena Headey, Michelle Fairley, and Peter Dinklage and had GRRM looking over their shoulder the whole time because he didn't have anything better to do, like write a goddamn book.

Also it's 100% clear now that GRRM's only criteria for letting them adapt the show was if they could answer "Who is Jon Snow's mother?" and they just went and looked it up on a messageboard online because they flat out said they didn't actually read the books before they started writing the pilot script.

Again, if I were Kathleen Kennedy right now, I'd seriously be considering firing these two dipshits before they blow another giant crater into Star Wars because this panel and Gemini Man have just been two massive disasters for David and Dan.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I shouldn't be this mad, but somehow I am.

gently caress those assholes.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Junkenstein posted:

quote:

They are expressing regret about putting the baby on the block of ice and him screaming. The mother was not happy bc Dan just kept talking about a close-up of the baby’s penis.

what the christ?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m sure that “article” has a lot of correct information, but it also seems absurdly false compared to the show we got. Not to mention numerous interviews in the past that showed that D and D at least read the first book or so because that’s how they guessed who Jon’s mom was. I could be wrong and hating D n D is super popular and I dont want to steal people’s hobbies, but it just doesn’t really make a lot of sense. Or a lot is taken out of context as is usually the case.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah I'm pretty sure they said before they knew the Jon's mom question and weren't just down low Googleing it during their pitch

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m also pretty sure they didn’t know GRRM would even ask that question so not sure how they’d have pre-emptively Googled it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Who cares. These are a pair of guys who don’t give a poo poo about the books or show any more, hate answering questions on a good day, and can’t keep their stories straight, as demonstrated by the TV show after they ran out of books and had to finish the story themselves.

They’ve also earned themselves one hell of a cloud of social confirmation bias that they’re not very bright, so anything that plays into that narrative is as good as truth these days.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

chaosapiant posted:

I’m sure that “article” has a lot of correct information, but it also seems absurdly false compared to the show we got. Not to mention numerous interviews in the past that showed that D and D at least read the first book or so because that’s how they guessed who Jon’s mom was. I could be wrong and hating D n D is super popular and I dont want to steal people’s hobbies, but it just doesn’t really make a lot of sense. Or a lot is taken out of context as is usually the case.

Or they just went to message boards and read what was controversial or got a lot of conversation around it. I don't really get your need to be an apologist for D&D, they're the ones who're quoted saying they didn't give a poo poo and didn't read the books.

The kind of bullshitters who go into a pitch meeting like that mostly unprepared but actually get the job are exactly the kind of bullshitters who would go to message boards and read about the subject without actually reading the books.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I woulnt give a gently caress about the sincerity of their love for ASOIAF if they had delivered the same quality GoT had on S1 through the end. Hell, even S2-S4

But from S5 on, every scene screamed their contempt and lack of interest for the story. So yeah, gently caress them

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
These guys were gifted this series based on zero merit, delivered a disastrous pilot, got a second chance and caught lightning in a bottle, became famous beyond their wildest imaginations and then complained that it took up 10 years of their lives.

I hope they gently caress up star wars too.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

But from Book 4 on, every scene screamed his contempt and lack of interest for the story. So yeah, gently caress GRRM

FTFY

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

pseudanonymous posted:

Or they just went to message boards and read what was controversial or got a lot of conversation around it. I don't really get your need to be an apologist for D&D, they're the ones who're quoted saying they didn't give a poo poo and didn't read the books.

The kind of bullshitters who go into a pitch meeting like that mostly unprepared but actually get the job are exactly the kind of bullshitters who would go to message boards and read about the subject without actually reading the books.

Once upon a time the show was the best poo poo on TV and everyone loved it. Say what you want about casting and writing and luck, but they still are responsible for bringing it together. I’m not an apologist for anyone. But the whole bandwagon we love them now we hate them thing is just hive mind bullshit.

There’s a lot of issues with the show that I also lay at their feet, but this specific post of mine was regarding an article that just looked bizarrely out of context and people just run with it and believe it because it fits their pre-formed narrative. And that said, it could be true. But I don’t believe everything I read online and a lot of prior interviews contradict this new series of tweeted responses.

Just to say it again: I could be entirely wrong and off base. I’m ok with being wrong if that’s the case.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

Once upon a time the show was the best poo poo on TV and everyone loved it. Say what you want about casting and writing and luck, but they still are responsible for bringing it together. I’m not an apologist for anyone. But the whole bandwagon we love them now we hate them thing is just hive mind bullshit.

There’s a lot of issues with the show that I also lay at their feet, but this specific post of mine was regarding an article that just looked bizarrely out of context and people just run with it and believe it because it fits their pre-formed narrative. And that said, it could be true. But I don’t believe everything I read online and a lot of prior interviews contradict this new series of tweeted responses.

Just to say it again: I could be entirely wrong and off base. I’m ok with being wrong if that’s the case.

Huh, where does Once fit in?

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

TommyGun85 posted:

These guys were gifted this series based on zero merit, delivered a disastrous pilot, got a second chance and caught lightning in a bottle, became famous beyond their wildest imaginations and then complained that it took up 10 years of their lives.

They have won the game of life and can only fail upwards. They are precisely the writers that Star Wars fans deserve.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I don’t need to give rich assholes the benefit of the doubt. They obviously hated what they were doing at the very least the last season. They even canceled panels cause they couldn’t handle being heckled. When you have a bunch of books you can literally steal from you can definitely crib the good parts. They had a great cast and obviously great production support, but you look at everything after the books end and it’s just miserable dreck. They couldn’t even end the series in the most logical way.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

HELLO LADIES posted:

The dude works for the State Department as an analyst and is like 6'4" and his wife just had a baby.

Can I be worried that this nut job works for the state department as an analyst? Does no one see a problem with this?

Also please stop "short and impotent" shaming me.

quote:

Goons not being able to parse social classes is the most hilarious poo poo.
I literally thought he was a teenager. Didn't he have some hijinx where he stole pizza at a GRRM function?

HELLO LADIES posted:

It's always seemed really clear to me that Arya's being set up to mercy kill Lady Stoneheart, and that's actually going to be what really makes her put aside the revenge track and go back to her family. There's a lot of poo poo in the Riverlands that's basically a set up for making Arya remember who/what she is and what's really important: the Freys, the Hound-as-Gravedigger, Nymeria, but most of all Lady Stoneheart. If she does team up with Beric, too, and revitalizes him in some way, that would also be where they probably cross paths. At this point I forget if Hot Pie is at the Inn of the XRoads in the book, but if that's not just a show thing, that too.

Both zombie cat and arya have lost their way, so it's a solid set up. I originally thought Arya would be sent to kill Sansa or Jon - but now that you point it out, their are lots of connections to the riverland with nymeria and an unkillable zombie-mom. GRRM does have lots of interesting setups, it reminds me of TV writing, where the dynamic is the important part, not the resolution. In fact, the resolution never happens in TV until you are cancelled and have to poo poo out an ending.

I know it would have driven me crazy - but I think it would have been amazing if the game of thrones ending was really open ended, or basically a loop. Where you have character development, but when you get to the end, everyone has just changed places. End the whole thing just as snow is starting to fall and the undead are moving. Jon and Dany are the new incestuous leaders of westeros, already showing interpersonal conflict that clearly will tear things apart. Wrap up some of the smaller conflicts, but leave lots of big ones open. Then call it a day. It's the game of thrones, perpetual war, no one wins except a few elites, and everyone loses eventually. Take all those subplots and farm it out ala dragonlance and starwars. Turn each one into a churn of media content, that George and publisher can just sit at the top of. Amusingly enough, he could have turned his inability to finish into a starwars sized merchandising coup. He would have been seen as a marketing and writing visionary ( or at least his PR could have spun it that way ). Oh well, at least I'm free.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

lmfao I got an fb memory from 8 years ago about being me being disappointed after finishing ADWD

This is basically perfect

kcroy fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 28, 2019

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kylaer posted:

They have won the game of life and can only fail upwards. They are precisely the writers that Star Wars fans deserve.

This would have made me angry 10 years ago, but you are 100% correct. I'm just now figuring out that Star Wars is just a crappy marketing virus that I was infected with as a child. I get emotional watching star wars trailers, even though I have zero reason too. It's some hard wired bullshit, like a mother's nipples leaking every time a random baby cries in the grocery.

I bought a starwars book for a friend's kid, I mean why not. It's STARWARS, right? how awesome! And the entire book is trash. It's just page after page of introducing this poor toddler to characters it has to memorize for some reason. And by "some reason" It's pretty clear it's so they can start buying Starwars poo poo.

I know this is derail, but gently caress it. Somehow in that moment I went from loving star wars to loving hating it, and I still teared up when I saw that stupid new loving trailer. I didn't even want to. it just happened. I am infected and unclean.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

kcroy posted:

This would have made me angry 10 years ago, but you are 100% correct. I'm just now figuring out that Star Wars is just a crappy marketing virus that I was infected with as a child. I get emotional watching star wars trailers, even though I have zero reason too. It's some hard wired bullshit, like a mother's nipples leaking every time a random baby cries in the grocery.

I bought a starwars book for a friend's kid, I mean why not. It's STARWARS, right? how awesome! And the entire book is trash. It's just page after page of introducing this poor toddler to characters it has to memorize for some reason. And by "some reason" It's pretty clear it's so they can start buying Starwars poo poo.

I know this is derail, but gently caress it. Somehow in that moment I went from loving star wars to loving hating it, and I still teared up when I saw that stupid new loving trailer. I didn't even want to. it just happened. I am infected and unclean.

I mean, Empire Strikes Back is a legitimately good movie, period, just as a movie. Everything else the franchise ever produced has simply been More Star Wars, but they got Empire right, and it turns out it was enough to coast on for going into 40 years now.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Most toddler books have pages made of cardboard because otherwise they'll rip them up and eat them, so I doubt it's a real big loss that their Star Wars book didn't capture the subtle nuances and magic of the franchise.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
also lol at being mad that SW are being made to sell toys when the smartest move Lucas ever made was turning down big movie money in exchange for toy money, which he did immediately after making one star wars movie. That's just as much part of the DNA of SW as anything post ANH is.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kcroy posted:

Can I be worried that this nut job works for the state department as an analyst? Does no one see a problem with this?

If a Goon can be a state department guy murdered by Hillary Clinton, I don't see why a state department guy can't be a Youtuber driven insane by GRRM.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Yeah. I feel like the "struggling against the objections of a mother while we hurt her infant son and insisted on filming his dick" anecdote is maybe not getting as much attention as it ought to

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Most toddler books have pages made of cardboard because otherwise they'll rip them up and eat them, so I doubt it's a real big loss that their Star Wars book didn't capture the subtle nuances and magic of the franchise.

My issue was that there was no story - it was just like reading a product catalog. "These are Jedi they are good" "These are Sith they are bad" "This is yoda, he is a jedi master". So I got him a Frog and Toad book instead. And realized that Star Wars is basically crap, and even worse it is crap that I'm emotionally attached to, not because I want to be - but because I was basically infected as a child.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

also lol at being mad that SW are being made to sell toys when the smartest move Lucas ever made was turning down big movie money in exchange for toy money, which he did immediately after making one star wars movie. That's just as much part of the DNA of SW as anything post ANH is.

I thought that is what I was saying - that the merch is part of the DNA of starwars, and I don't want to help it replicate.

nine-gear crow posted:

I mean, Empire Strikes Back is a legitimately good movie, period, just as a movie.

Sure, it's a good movie, and maybe in 8 years this kid will be old enough to appreciate the themes in it. But outside of that, that's all it is - some good movies.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

If a Goon can be a state department guy murdered by Hillary Clinton, I don't see why a state department guy can't be a Youtuber driven insane by GRRM.

Wow didn't know that Seth Rich was a goon. Re: Preston - it just made me think of the US going to war based on some detailed analysis Preston provided. Or invading Iraq or whatever.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
The Game of Thrones show was cheap looking and bad from the jump. It had its moments but the show was never good.

Also Benioff wrote 25th Hour so I can't ever think he's a total dingus.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

TommyGun85 posted:

nah, they're out

https://deadline.com/2019/10/star-wars-setback-game-of-thrones-duo-david-benioff-d-b-weiss-exit-trilogy-1202771184/

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Holy balls.

Guess there is a cap on how much nerdrage two people can attract in a single lifetime.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

i figured this would happen based on d+d's rumored vast ineptitude re: project management

i think lucasfilm will only be hiring experienced tentpole directors for a while after the couple of production debacles they've had

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
https://twitter.com/ForArya/status/1188190209583800326

We don’t know why he trusted us with his life’s work just lol my guy.

But for real
https://twitter.com/ForArya/status/1188193290295885824

I know we joked about actors carrying characters on their backs but drat

https://twitter.com/ForArya/status/1188199326150995968

lmao

Also we need to focus on this more because what the gently caress??

https://twitter.com/ForArya/status/1188198257207468033

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

:hmbol: called it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

porfiria posted:

The Game of Thrones show was cheap looking and bad from the jump. It had its moments but the show was never good.

Is that the one that ends with Ed Norton telling his friends “you have to beat my face so they won’t have sex with me in prison!”

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

porfiria posted:

Is the book good? Because like Spike Lee and Edward Norton were involved. Good actors and directors can take a lovely script and change it.

font color sea
Jan 23, 2017

Expelliarmus!
D&D will never have the chance to create the perfect Star Wars for suburban moms and NFL players

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Wasnt the whole point of them racing through this poo poo and turning down more seasons so they could do star wars? lolol

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Sooo, saying they "quit" is just a face-saving story, right? They totally got canned.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Thank you god.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

Mr. Fix It posted:

They totally got canned.

disney let them walk away with a small amount of dignity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm sure they'll be crying into their gigantic pile of Netflix money over this.

And of course Disney wouldn't want them at the helm, they only want acclaimed visionary directors such as....Rian Johnson?