Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Two other people helped in the response, one was an incredibly helpful emergency room nurse with 20 years of experience. The other was a PhD psychoanalyst. Literally a random passenger's Samsung phone (it has a pulse oximeter!) was more useful than she was. I wish I could make this up. I wonder if they got miles too?

oh and I led the response looking like absolute poo poo after a boys weekend in Miami Beach wearing this shirt, sweatpants and two days of stubble. I'm sure I was confidence-inspiring.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Lol!

Good job tho dude. Cool you got a round of applause.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Using TPG's latest points valuation, saving a life is worth $350.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

On the other hand, I got some free miles for saving a person's life in flight the last time I flew to Miami (thanks American) and tried to redeem them to fly to NYC recently only to deal with blackout dates on any of the flights I wanted. So I again bought in cash and got 3% back.
I don't think AA has blackout dates, but there's not a lot of saver seats available. You may have to redeem for "AAnytime Awards."

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Small White Dragon posted:

I don't think AA has blackout dates, but there's not a lot of saver seats available. You may have to redeem for "AAnytime Awards."

I didn't get enough points to book that kind of ticket!

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Next time prevent damage to the plane instead of just saving a person’s life and AA might give a poo poo

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
I agree the miles/points game can be confusing and infuriating for folks not savvy with this game. This past year I got both the gold and plat AA cards for my husband to pile on the sign-up bonus miles, and we are struggling with how best to redeem them. On the other hand, I got a Jetblue card just for the sign-up bonus and we've been milking those miles for over a year flying the MIL out for visits. Straightforward redemption rates and amazing domestic flights make up for their limited schedule for us.

We balance cashback cards for convenience (Blue Cash Preferred, Citi Doublecash) and generic points card for travel (Chase CSR, FU and Freedom) and treat ourselves to random sign-up bonus points we really have no idea how we'll use them - AA, Delta and Jetblue have been recent splurges. Not everyone around here is a frequent flier or business traveler, but there is still great value to be found and it can be fun finding way to redeem points/miles.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
BA Avios are getting to the point where they are nearly worthless. I put my wedding on the BA card for the 100k bonus. I have used BA points before, but only on Cathay Pacific. If you use them on actual BA flights, they will charge you "surcharges" which can be up to 50-60% of the cost of just buying the ticket. It used to be that codeshares were not charged these surcharges, but now they apparently are (though still to a lesser degree than direct BA flights).

I just cashed them in for two premium economy flights from NRT-JFK, and I still had a $450 charge for it; half of it a surcharge. Granted these would have otherwise been $3k if I bought them outright, but only because I did so last minute and one-way.

Aside from that one time churn I have been putting all my spending on my CSR and have never looked back. If you travel a lot and cash them in for travel you can get the best bang for buck in my opinion. They can also be used for cash back if you were ever in a pinch. They can also be transferred to most codeshare alliances, so it insulates you from devaluations on one carrier versus the other.

There are still deals with airline miles, but they are much, much harder to land than they used to be.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
BA's surcharges are not new, they've been around for years. Hence, why Avios were often most useful on non-BA flights.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Small White Dragon posted:

BA's surcharges are not new, they've been around for years. Hence, why Avios were often most useful on non-BA flights.

The NRT-JFK flight is on JAL. They are now applying surcharges on non-BA flights.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Got an email saying the Double Cash can now convert to Thank You points. Any way to turn those points into something more valuable that the cashback value?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Got an email saying the Double Cash can now convert to Thank You points. Any way to turn those points into something more valuable that the cashback value?

You need to have one of the Citibank premium cards to be able to transfer them to travel partners - that's the only redemption for TY points that's better than the cashback rate. If you don't have one of those cards, there's no reason to transfer DC rewards into TY points.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Details are out on Barclaycard's updated benefits (shopping ones are gone, slight adjustments to the cell phone protection):

https://gif.barclaycardus.com/servicing/img/base/guideBenefits/BAR-7264-5.pdf

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I think someone here mentioned they liked the idea of redeeming UR points for apple products, so I'll share this here:

According to DoC:

quote:

Chase is offering some Sapphire Reserve cardholders a 20% bonus when redeeming points for apple products. This means you can get 1.2¢ per point.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
This quarter's Discover category includes Walmart.com - the others are Target and Amazon, but I already have the RedCard and the Amazon Prime card for 5% each.

Anyone have any great redemption ideas for Walmart? Obviously I'm tempted to load up on Walmart gift cards, but do they ever have sales on gift cards or is there a special deal I should look out for? I avoid Walmart usually, but the temptation to churn this quarter for 5% back is very tempting. I guess I could get a bunch of Walmart gift cards and then use them for Black Friday deals.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

VorpalBunny posted:

This quarter's Discover category includes Walmart.com - the others are Target and Amazon, but I already have the RedCard and the Amazon Prime card for 5% each.

Anyone have any great redemption ideas for Walmart? Obviously I'm tempted to load up on Walmart gift cards, but do they ever have sales on gift cards or is there a special deal I should look out for? I avoid Walmart usually, but the temptation to churn this quarter for 5% back is very tempting. I guess I could get a bunch of Walmart gift cards and then use them for Black Friday deals.

Occasionally they'll have a sale on a third-party giftcard like Uber or iTunes.

Walmart GCs are a pretty solid plan if you know you'll use them up. I buy a decent amount of groceries there (and also from their Neighborhood Market stores, which actually tend to code as a grocery store), so that's likely the route I'll go.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

So as my Asia trip approaches next month, I’m still pretty bummed about Chase’s decision for CSR based on Age of accounts back in August. Amazon Chase card in June and BOA Alaska back in December.

After continuing to pay off my balance each month and keeping my utilization around 10%, how long should I wait to reapply again?

I’m holding off applying for anything else due to the 5/24 rule but their decision is frustrating based on my credit and income stats.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I just got off an AA flight and they had a card on offer for 60k AA points with no spend and the first year fee waived. That’s a no brainer right?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Elysium posted:

I just got off an AA flight and they had a card on offer for 60k AA points with no spend and the first year fee waived. That’s a no brainer right?

Yep! My whole family has gotten one. I don’t think they allow you to get more than one anymore though.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
The personal offer goes up to 75k sometimes. And you can get multiple with "targeted" offers. I have 14.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Additionally, I have a big contractor bill coming due next month, so I was thinking about either going for a Companion Pass or just getting the Chase Ink Business for the 80k points. It seems Southwest is raising the CP threshold to 125k points, so I'm not sure what to think of that. Anyone have any difficulty getting business cards?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
All this airline talk!

I have a CSP and Freedom. And a Hyatt card.

I'd like more premium Hyatt stays.

Been slamming as many 2x multiplier charges on the Hyatt card. Any other ideas?

Am not really into the whole open and closing card business.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Insane Totoro posted:

All this airline talk!

I have a CSP and Freedom. And a Hyatt card.

I'd like more premium Hyatt stays.

Been slamming as many 2x multiplier charges on the Hyatt card. Any other ideas?

Am not really into the whole open and closing card business.
So you're looking to accrue more Hyatt points, right? What kind of spend do you have? Do you have the old or the new Hyatt card?

You could consider upgrading the CSP to CSR (3x on dining and travel).
There's also a Chase shopping portal that might be worth considering when you buy things online.
Maybe look at a Chase Ink Cash business card, that 5x at office supply stores can work out quite nicely.
If you have a lot of non-category spend, maybe consider a Freedom Unlimited.

Finally, if you fly AA, make sure your accounts are linked. That's 1 extra Hyatt point per dollar spent.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I'm leaving my current job that has a corporate Citi card and I have something like 60,000 citi TY points, but I can't find any real uses for them with their travel partners. I fly AA and stay at marriotts for work and I have top tier status with them, so ideally I'd like to funnel the points to them, but it seems like Citi TYs don't transfer to any of them. What's the best suggestion for using these?

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Can you transfer them to a personal card?

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007
Not to be confused with poptartin
So I'm looking into more of the "Open and close" aspect of credit cards, especially with a wedding coming up and xmas coming up, I figure I might be able to pay for some things, and then get easy cash back, then close it.
However I'm not 100% sure of how much this impacts my credit. I do know it's important to have a low balance to credit ratio, which I have now, but what all should I look out for in this regard?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Girbot posted:

Can you transfer them to a personal card?

Don't have another Citi TY point earning card. I guess I could get one, but I'm never going to use it and if I get one with a bonus, what do I do with the points then :v:

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Flying AA all week i took one of the 60k no spend requirement deals. Curious as to what boarding group it puts you in.

E: group 5. I feel like this is a happy medium between the exec with admirals club and a 450$fee.

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 25, 2019

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Cacafuego posted:

I'm leaving my current job that has a corporate Citi card and I have something like 60,000 citi TY points, but I can't find any real uses for them with their travel partners. I fly AA and stay at marriotts for work and I have top tier status with them, so ideally I'd like to funnel the points to them, but it seems like Citi TYs don't transfer to any of them. What's the best suggestion for using these?

Comedy answer: $600 of target gift cards

Serious answer: Doesn't Citi still have some Oneworld transfer partners?

astral fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Oct 25, 2019

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

astral posted:

Comedy answer: $600 of target gift cards

Serious answer: Doesn't Citi still have some Oneworld transfer partners?
Malayasia Air, Qantas, Qatar, Cathay Pacific.

Of course if you want to use these on AA, you'll need to make sure there's saver availability.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Current scenario: no credit card debt, I just use the 2% Citi double cash as a cash all for credit card benefit. I have 4 total credit cards, the other 3 are mostly unused and kept just for either A. Occasional extended warranty purchase or B. For the most part because it adds to longevity of credit.

Upcoming scenario: for better or worse, friend is getting married in Hawaii. So, while I sometimes fly, I’ll be spending way more in 2020 on plane tickets.

Any really good credit card recommendations to get cheap round trip plane tickets? I’m ok with credit card for a year and then cancelling.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Current scenario: no credit card debt, I just use the 2% Citi double cash as a cash all for credit card benefit. I have 4 total credit cards, the other 3 are mostly unused and kept just for either A. Occasional extended warranty purchase or B. For the most part because it adds to longevity of credit.

Upcoming scenario: for better or worse, friend is getting married in Hawaii. So, while I sometimes fly, I’ll be spending way more in 2020 on plane tickets.

Any really good credit card recommendations to get cheap round trip plane tickets? I’m ok with credit card for a year and then cancelling.

You should be able to get any card with a big Bonus and use that for a free round trip ticket to Hawaii from pretty much anywhere. For example the Chase Sapphire Preferred or any of the Airline Specific Cards.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

This is trash. Uber Visa is no longer getting 2% on all online services and shopping, which significantly reduces my want to use it when I already use Amex Gold and CSR for restaurants and travel.

quote:

We wanted to let you know changes are coming to the rewards and benefits of your Uber Visa Card beginning in your February 2020 billing period. Your Uber Visa Card will now be called the Uber Credit Card and there will be changes to how you earn and redeem rewards.

What you’ll earn on your purchases under the new rewards program:

5% back in Uber Cash on all your Uber and JUMP rides and your favorite meals through Uber Eats
3% back in Uber Cash on hotels, airfare, takeout, restaurants and bars
1% back in Uber Cash on all other purchases

Here is what’s different:
• You will earn more on Uber purchases
• Your travel earn will remain the same
• Dining and online purchases will be reduced
• The subscription benefit is being removed+

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
RIP to the Uber card

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Diva Cupcake posted:

This is trash. Uber Visa is no longer getting 2% on all online services and shopping, which significantly reduces my want to use it when I already use Amex Gold and CSR for restaurants and travel.

That's not even the worst part - it's no longer cash back.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Honestly, I'm surprised it lasted this long. The announcement of the Uber Cash system basically spelled the end of the card's reward flexibility, and they took the opportunity to reduce the dining rewards while they were at it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Thoguh posted:

That's not even the worst part - it's no longer cash back.

Wait what is it changing to? Just Uber GCs?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

astral posted:

Honestly, I'm surprised it lasted this long.

I agree with you there. It's been right up there with the IHG card for being too good to be true.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Wait what is it changing to? Just Uber GCs?

Essentially, only redeemable for Uber/UberEats/Whatever scooter company they own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Thoguh posted:

Essentially, only redeemable for Uber/UberEats/Whatever scooter company they own.

Ugh, since you can only redeem in $25 I was saving a bunch of points. so I'll just cash them out now before I wake up and find they converted and I can't use it.

I'll keep my cell phone on it for the insurance benefit, but otherwise why bother?