Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Willo567 posted:

A judge's ruling that can't be appealed, as just explained to you

that's irrelevant. the ruling was going to be upheld, but it provided cover to do this without it seeming to be forced by republicans.

there are always going to be idiots who thought the instant a republican said a thing that was the only thing ever to consider, but the judge's ruling is useful because this was always the plan and it is helpful to do now while making abundantly clear nobody forced it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

What was the mischaracterization? That there isn't now like thirty posts describing this "advantageous position" Pelosi was in after the court ruling? Or are you arguing with the history that republicans have demanded this vote for a while now?

You're strawmanning. There are legal and strategic arguments in favor of holding this vote now that were not there a few weeks ago, many of which evilweasel in particular has already explained to you, not the least of which is that it allows all the stuff gathered in private to become public, as well as clearly defining the rules for what will happen in Phase 2 of the impeachment proceedings. It also comes on the heels of strong polling in favor of the inquiry--something Democrats did not have several weeks ago--as well as the fact that a judge has ruled that they're not breaking the law.

You've chosen not to pay attention.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

evilweasel posted:

that's what the vote is. it's announcing what the procedures will be for step 2 and beyond, not prematurely ending step 1.

This is my take on actually going and reading a bit about it (phoneposting but there's a daily beast article that has Pelosi's summary and also some opining from D staffers). I'm a bit iffy on the "lays out due process for the president" element but it otherwise looks fine and good.

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

...it really doesn't. They've already been collecting depositions and making a case; now they get to bring all that stuff public, which Republicans do not want, despite their protestations about "transparency".

also this, it's a good way and time to line up a new round of punches in public opinion and keep the goldfish on track

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

oh my god you have no idea what you are doing or talking about.

The judge's ruling is only useful now that they are taking a vote. it means that there's jack the GOP can do to stop the info from being used and made public. They've been crowing over transparency for weeks. Now that they can vote on a transparent process, they will all vote no. it completely removes their transparency talking point, and makes them founder and slam on the table louder, with an even weaker position.

and, most importantly, it is exactly what was always going to happen, the hearings are currently secret only to make it a little harder for witnesses to coordinate testimony, there was never a plan to hold secret impeachment hearings and send it to the senate without making the damning evidence public and giving the most damaging witnesses a chance to talk on national tv

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

I can't shake the idea that dogs are the Trump family equivalent of Bluth chickens.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

beejay posted:

I'm not sure I understand the lionizing (heh) of this dog. I mean it's cool or whatever that a dog chased a man until he exploded, but it seems to kind of downplay the troops involvement. Which I would think Trump wouldn't want to do?
I'm 90% sure they never actually told trump any details on the actual are troops given what he's already given away about the operation. they had to remind him over and over not to doxx the dog which is why he mentions it (they probably never even told him the dog's name).

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I can't shake the idea that dogs are the Trump family equivalent of Bluth chickens.

the dog is going to bite trump

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I wanna see what sound Don Junior thinks a dog makes.

Anyway, I'd put good money on that dog either a) never making it to the White House or b) not meeting with Trump. Trump hates dogs; didn't he make fun of Mike Pence for getting one?

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

beejay posted:

When did the Dow go from 27k to 22.5k?

22,445 on December 18, 2018. It was around 27,000 in September or October.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

evilweasel posted:

I’d pay money I absolutely can’t afford to see that happen.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

booseek posted:

22,445 on December 18, 2018. It was around 27,000 in September or October.

That's not a crash.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
trump is going to feed a the dog a whole bunch of hamburgers and chocolate shakes at the white house

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

W dropped and seriously injured the first dog Barney

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

evilweasel posted:

trump_bald_eagle.gif

iirc he was carefully instructed on things not to do lest he upset or startle the eagle, and IMMEDIATELY went and did one because Trump

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

evilweasel posted:

and, most importantly, it is exactly what was always going to happen, the hearings are currently secret only to make it a little harder for witnesses to coordinate testimony, there was never a plan to hold secret impeachment hearings and send it to the senate without making the damning evidence public and giving the most damaging witnesses a chance to talk on national tv

Exactly. Not only does this push back on GOP talking points, but it also generates news cycles when each new testimony is publicly released.

This is Nancy Pelosi using the GOP playbook against them for a change. If she is smart she'll have a staggered release schedule for the depositions to drive a week of news cycles.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

this seems, uh, good

https://twitter.com/marceelias/status/1188929192207048704

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Having the vote isn't some horrible blunder that will cost everything but it's really loving dumb to validate right wing whining when you had no reason to, and continue the noble tradition of Dems agreeing to whatever under the banner of 'decorum' and 'norms' while the the Republicans wipe their rear end with that stuff because why would they not

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Can’t wait to see Trump awkwardly try and fail to pet a dog because he doesn’t know how to function like a normal human being under ideal circumstances and adding a dog to the mix (and he notably despises dogs) is just gonna ramp up the cringe.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

sexpig by night posted:

Having the vote isn't some horrible blunder that will cost everything but it's really loving dumb to validate right wing whining when you had no reason to, and continue the noble tradition of Dems agreeing to whatever under the banner of 'decorum' and 'norms' while the the Republicans wipe their rear end with that stuff because why would they not

This is not what is happening.

whats the chance of an appeal to the SC?

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
I hope the dog bites trump.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

It's not "validating right-wing whining" just because you said it is; if it was intended to placate Matt Gaetz's Dumb Spartans, they'd have done this weeks ago, before the court ruling and before the reams of depositions.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

beejay posted:

That's not a crash.

Not the point, really (the all the posters here were deeming it a crash when it was happening). I was suggesting the OP did not see returns from Q2 to now most likely because returns have been suck, and for a while, since that first mini crash in early 2018. That's it. I don't understand the disagreement.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

I feel like you maybe only read the headline(s) on this one because there's more going on in the vote than just formalizing the inquiry, and I think the headlines are being kinda irresponsible on this

edit okay fine I'll at least link the DB article

https://www.thedailybeast.com/pelosi-to-hold-vote-to-formalize-impeachment-inquiry-and-bring-it-to-open-phase

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 28, 2019

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1188929062611361792

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

It's a state court lawsuit so very low, considering the SC didn't get involved when Pennsylvania's courts did this.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

oh my god you have no idea what you are doing or talking about.

The judge's ruling is only useful now that they are taking a vote. it means that there's jack the GOP can do to stop the info from being used and made public. They've been crowing over transparency for weeks. Now that they can vote on a transparent process, they will all vote no. it completely removes their transparency talking point, and makes them founder and slam on the table louder, with an even weaker position.

No you see Democrats voting on their timeline is actually a huge own by Republicans by the rules of 4d chess.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

FizFashizzle posted:

W dropped and seriously injured the first dog Barney

The dog was not injured in this incident, why are you posting so weirdly lately?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

there's just literally no reason to do this when the current plan of 'no shut up, we're having these interviews how we always do, republicans who are part of it are welcome to them, and then we'll bring this poo poo public when we've collected our information' was having zero problems. It's not going to hurt anything it's just pointless

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

sexpig by night posted:

e: dropping it.

How are u fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 28, 2019

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

sexpig by night posted:

there's just literally no reason to do this when the current plan of 'no shut up, we're having these interviews how we always do, republicans who are part of it are welcome to them, and then we'll bring this poo poo public when we've collected our information' was having zero problems. It's not going to hurt anything it's just pointless

sigh, the vote isn't ending the depositions. it just starts the process of bringing them public.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
E: Not worth getting hit with a probe for.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

sexpig by night posted:

this is ultimately a public opinion battle, so the point isn't just about if you are having problems, but if you can increase your advantage because how much you can "win" by matters. dems are unquestionably doing well here, but the better they can do, well, the better.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

How are u posted:

Can't say I'm hugely surprised that you have an inflexible black & white view of this, like everything else.

'this isn't bad or anything but I'm annoyed by it' is literally the opposite of black and white? I'm sorry????

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Is this actually going to affect anything though? The NC GOP's playbook seems to be to keep making bad maps over and over and over until they run out the clock. Then they just use the bad maps for the elections because whoops we tried but there's not enough time for a new map I guess!!! v:v:v

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Stop slapfighting please

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

The vote's literally coming on the same day as another round of closed-door depositions; it's not like they're wrapping up. Again, it's been explained what legal and strategic advantages a vote now could grant Democrats, regardless of GOP whining.

that is, literally, my point. Don't do this dumb poo poo until you're ready to move on to the public poo poo anyway and can go right from 'fine we had your dumb little vote' to 'so here's when the first public hearing will be', going from this right back to the ~ClOsED dOoR mEeTiNgS~ that just make the idiots keep whining does nothing.

evilweasel posted:

this is ultimately a public opinion battle, so the point isn't just about if you are having problems, but if you can increase your advantage because how much you can "win" by matters. dems are unquestionably doing well here, but the better they can do, well, the better.

public opinion is fine, it's been doing nothing but trend to the impeachment's side.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Is this actually going to affect anything though? The NC GOP's playbook seems to be to keep making bad maps over and over and over until they run out the clock. Then they just use the bad maps for the elections because whoops we tried but there's not enough time for a new map I guess!!! v:v:v

The way that the PA courts resolved this was, basically, "you can submit proposed new maps to us, the plaintiffs can submit proposed new maps to us, and we will draw the lines ourselves".

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

fool_of_sound posted:

Stop slapfighting please
A shameful display of moral cowardice.

The slaps propel us to victory and Utopia!

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

CascadeBeta posted:

How brave of you to take that stance when it's not your neck on the line. They get to start their redemption once they prove that they give a poo poo and start doing better. It doesn't start with us trying drag them out of the river kicking and screaming. I'm sick and tired of getting spat in my face for trying.

Why are you getting so mad about other people using their privilege to try to help you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

beejay posted:

The dog was not injured in this incident, why are you posting so weirdly lately?

Was he not? I swear it broke its hip or something.

A google search turns up nothing, but the dog is dead, so rip I guess.