Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Would untyped duals break the reserved list, or is the answer that nobody knows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

vegetables posted:

Would untyped duals break the reserved list, or is the answer that nobody knows?

They won't, but they would break WotC's ability to sell future dual lands.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

vegetables posted:

For any format that matters, that's effectively the fastlands already.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Hellsau posted:

Then just print typed untapped duals.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Then just print typed untapped duals.

but that would break the reserve list

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Hellsau posted:

but that would break the reserve list

good

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Hellsau posted:

Not really. They'd rotate from standard and most decks need more than one set of duals to function, anyway. Plus, they could print taplands with interested upsides, like the temples, alongside them. Fetches/typed shocks would still be the cornerstone of a modern manabase, even if untyped duals existed there. They would see play, but wouldn't be format defining. I don't think WotC will ever print them, but I can't imagine there would be any issue, power level wise.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
As a complement to the battlebond lands, they should print typed duals that come into play untapped if you have exactly one opponent.

You could even call them "typed duels".

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

Is it really so amazing to you that some of us might be only children

No but it’s amazing that people somehow burst into flame about a show that’s around 10 years old and whose gross weird fanbase subsection hasn’t been relevant for what seems like 3

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

TheKingofSprings posted:

No but it’s amazing that people somehow burst into flame about a show that’s around 10 years old and whose gross weird fanbase subsection hasn’t been relevant for what seems like 3

Also it's over. Show ended a few weeks ago.

Aha! That's it! Untapped typed duals that are pony-themed! Either you pay up for Savannah or you settle for Applejack's Orchard!

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

evilweasel posted:

those basically already exist, the battlebond lands

the only real difference is the land types

Battlebond lands are only ally colors. I get what you mean, but there's no "bolcanic bisland" yet

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Jabor posted:

As a complement to the battlebond lands, they should print typed duals that come into play untapped if you have exactly one opponent.

Smdh.

Duel duals.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Jabor posted:

Lol.

We will hopefully see some sick duals in the next Zendikar set. It's all about dem lands.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

TheKingofSprings posted:

This isn't a gathering of my peers...

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Also it's over. Show ended a few weeks ago.

Aha! That's it! Untapped typed duals that are pony-themed! Either you pay up for Savannah or you settle for Applejack's Orchard!

Considering we not-joked about being perfectly okay with Revised dual reprints with Goatse as the art, I would be glad to play with Pony-themed reserve list breaks.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

they promised not to reprint them, they never promised to not repony them.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Tubgoat posted:

Considering we not-joked about being perfectly okay with Revised dual reprints with Goatse as the art, I would be glad to play with Pony-themed reserve list breaks.

Finally, instead of Aeolipile, Aeolipony.

Friendship Academy Rector.

Chains of Mephistopholhorse.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Mephorsestopheles

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

what the gently caress is wrong with you all

mephistofillies

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Hellsau posted:

mephistofillies
While this is obviously more clever, Mephistophelhorse made me laugh more.

Also Mephisto Fillies sound like adds that you'd encounter when doing a magic find run in act 3.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Just played some practice Pioneer matches online with the monoblack vampire list, which is both my Jam and mostly cards I own. Enjoying it a lot and getting to see interesting decks on the other side. It's great to be able to play Drama, or power Knight of the Ebon Order with Nykthos.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Hellsau posted:

mephistofillies

was gonna say Marephistopheles but drat you got me beat

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Lone Goat posted:

was gonna say Marephistopheles but drat you got me beat
That one's pretty good too.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Workshopping horse puns is 99% of brony chat so here we are rofl.

You think Oko wouldn't be so bad without Goose? I think it's that Goose wouldn't be so good without Oko. He's still a pile of loyalty who can blank creatures without a 1-drop to accelerate him, while Goose loses a lot of its ease of use and long-term value without him providing and utilizing food.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Goose is just a cute utility card that would be fine if there were more reasonable cards to utilize into.

Stop printing all planeswalkers, I say.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Workshopping horse puns is 99% of writing episodes of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic so here we are rofl.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

bring back deathrite shaman now that oko can just blank him, imo

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

bring back deathrite shaman now that oko can just blank him, imo

Ah yes we need Sultai Oko to be the best deck in every format, I agree.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Lol.

We will hopefully see some sick duals in the next Zendikar set. It's all about dem lands.

It'll be the manlands again.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

so which one is your alt

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Workshopping horse puns is 99% of brony chat so here we are rofl.

You think Oko wouldn't be so bad without Goose? I think it's that Goose wouldn't be so good without Oko. He's still a pile of loyalty who can blank creatures without a 1-drop to accelerate him, while Goose loses a lot of its ease of use and long-term value without him providing and utilizing food.

Oko would still be bad, but knowing that he's not coming down until turn 3 at the earliest might give some other decks the breathing room needed to have a decent matchup. Also no Goose = no turn 3 Nissa, Wicked Wolf is a slightly less reliable kill spell, etc.

It's not a silver bullet answer but I think it would slow down the UGx decks enough to open up the format a bit and give Mardu Knights, Gruul, etc a chance to be actually viable.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I wonder how much of it is them just utterly missing with the color hate, the protection from green guy is a loving joke that gets Daunted, compared to the pro-blue guy.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
There will be no viewers between now and November 18
https://twitter.com/MagicEsports/status/1188971340180574210

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Boco_T posted:

This is being stubborn when it doesn't benefit you in any way. How embarrassing.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Boco_T posted:

In other words skip watching the Mythic Championship, great, awesome

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If planeswalkers died in one hit from a Deathtouch creature we wouldn't be having this problem

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Bust Rodd posted:

If planeswalkers died in one hit from a Deathtouch creature we wouldn't be having this problem

That deathtouch creature looks an awful lot like a 3/3 elk with no abilities to me

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Sickening posted:

This is being stubborn when it doesn't benefit you in any way. How embarrassing.

The worst part is that this is just a crystal clear design fuckup. There are, by a wide margin, the best answers to planeswalkers that have ever been printed all available in standard right now and it just does nothing. There's no meta balance left to happen.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

AnEdgelord posted:

That deathtouch creature looks an awful lot like a 3/3 elk with no abilities to me

Questing Beast has Haste and daunts away gilded goose, I think is the point.

Because Oko can take 4 to the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Questing Beast could've (should've ) been worded to just eat a Planeswalker every combat phase and it still wouldn't be too good.