Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Push El Burrito posted:

I remember reading that something like 80% of restaurants fail and Ramsay's average was like 70% of the restaurants on his show have failed.

The fact is 100% of them were doomed to fail without Gordon screaming at them. Think of all the entertainment we wouldn't have without that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

oldpainless posted:

Is that a mushroom growing on a door?

E: This isn’t asking about that gif, I’m talking to myself as I pose nude in the mirror

Whoa President Trump posts in this thread?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

The fact is 100% of them were doomed to fail without Gordon screaming at them. Think of all the entertainment we wouldn't have without that.

Everyone thinks "owning a restaurant" is about palling around with regulars, drinking and eating for free, and having a hang spot for all your buddies.

Ask them about any other small business being cool with having a social club hang and the owners just taking company resources left and right as convience and they would say that business is doomed.

That Toronto guy even says he was guzzling restaurant alcohol like no tomorrow. Pounded 6 glasses of wine then came up to a major event to accept non existent fawning and slur his way through a guitar solo.

Most of Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares is on YouTube and all of it is on Prime video. You get calm Ramsay but some magically deluded owners like the guy serving "shark steak" in a old fashion refined manor house converted to a massive restaurant.

2014 Ramsay Kitchen Nightmares is great because they found some off the absolute worst including the guy who sank $100k into a car rental side business expecting it to help with his failing restaurant.

pentyne has a new favorite as of 21:11 on Oct 28, 2019

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Also a lot of places will revert back right after the show is over, or re-hire the lovely brother in law as head chef who couldn’t cook and was terrible to work with.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Owning a bar seems really easy as even the losers on IASIP can do it

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

pentyne posted:

Everyone thinks "owning a restaurant" is about palling around with regulars, drinking and eating for free, and having a hang spot for all your buddies.

That pretty much applies to most small businesses that are open to the public, and not necessarily a bar or restaurant.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Was it not later revealed amy was trucking in the desserts from somewhere decent?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

oldpainless posted:

Owning a bar seems really easy as even the losers on IASIP can do it

IIRC there was one punk rock bar that was failing because the owner thought playing any music that wasn’t punk rock and making fruity drinks was selling out. To the point where the bassist for the Vandals tried to tell the guy that as great as punk rock is it can’t carry the whole bar by itself and the owner told him he was too old to understand punk. I think that one also ended up being a walkout

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
My favorite Gordon Ramsay thing is when he actually likes the food and you can tell he's delighted because the guy actually really loves food. One of them he only enjoyed the dessert and the restaurant owner got all pissy because of it. When Gordon visits the restaurant again the pastry chef is gone and has started her own catering service.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I love how pissant petty tyrant small business owners get free consulting from a Michelin star chef (this would likely cost deep 6 figures on its own) and they spend all that time arguing with him. If you had your poo poo squared away, you wouldn't be on a reality show.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

skooma512 posted:

I love how pissant petty tyrant small business owners get free consulting from a Michelin star chef (this would likely cost deep 6 figures on its own) and they spend all that time arguing with him. If you had your poo poo squared away, you wouldn't be on a reality show.

I like how he is always very friendly and respectful to the minimum wage staff if they are trying hard to work for an rear end in a top hat boss.

I know he does it cause he's not actually a big meanie, but it serves to highlight even more how little he thinks of the assholes.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Shut up Meg posted:

I like how he is always very friendly and respectful to the minimum wage staff if they are trying hard to work for an rear end in a top hat boss.

I know he does it cause he's not actually a big meanie, but it serves to highlight even more how little he thinks of the assholes.

As much as people like to paint Gordon as a screaming rear end in a top hat if you watch any of his shows for like five minutes you realize that chances are if he's screaming at somebody they deserved it. He very clearly is a person who just loving loves food and the restaurant industry despite all of its faults and just wants people to have places to go to have great dinners. Out of the gate he's nice to everybody until he figures out where the problems are.

But...wow...God help you if you try to serve undercooked chicken in front of him. That's when he turns up the I AM NOT loving AROUND RIGHT NOW to the maximum.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The UK version always seemed better on the yelling side of things. It felt like they really turned up the drama and yelling for the US episodes

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Maybe on Kitchen nightmares he's justified but I've been watching some old seasons of Hell's Kitchen, and he just seems like a giant baby, as well as using constant sexist insults to the women. Like every single episode he is screaming that they cant get the food ready on time, you're the one who put these twelve chefs together Gordon, if all twelve failing every week obviously you're the one who misjudged how long it takes to train chefs, its not their fault. But yeah I know its just reality TV and its all for fun.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Len posted:

The UK version always seemed better on the yelling side of things. It felt like they really turned up the drama and yelling for the US episodes

totally, ramsay is not a walking yelling shouty guy naturally. but he leans into the angry football coach trope as part of his television persona, because he's a large athletic man. that's the performance people want to see on reality tee vee, and americans love the yelling and shouting in righteous passion

if you look at other cooking contest shows like kid chef or whatever it's called he's very nice and supportive of the children

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
There's nothing we, as Americans, want more than for a stern British mommy and daddy to shout us into submission.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
If I recall on Amy's Bakery, they did a follow up, and Gordon learned she was actually buying her baked goods from another shop, and claiming she made them? It was just another lie, on a pile of lies.

There were also some alleged big mafia ties with the husband, who would threaten people on the regular.

Any TV show can go in and fix a restaurant, but fixing a bad business owner takes effort. If they don't keep proper books, or pay people right, or watch their product and aren't in the habits to do so. They'll gently caress up and fail. Or if they hire their friends, and want to party.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Someone post the video showing him on Masterchef vs Masterchef Jr

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I forget the exact numbers but people did try criticizing him for the failure rate of restaurants but yeah it's significantly better than the typical because

the failure rate of restaurants normally is over 90%. Again, I forget the exact numbers but restaurants actually succeeding and managing to last in the long term is the exception. Part of that is because a hell of a lot of people are like "well I hate working for somebody else I know I'll start a restaurant, how hard can it be?" Pretty drat hard, it turns out.

I think he might have walked out on a second restaurant but Amy's Baking Company was definitely the first he walked out on. He even said on the episode something to the effect of "I have never done this before but I'm walking out. You can't be helped. You don't want my help so there's nothing I can do for you." Apparently the Amy in question was in fact absurdly good at making desserts but terrible at everything else, bug gently caress insane, and married to a con artist.

It’s a great episode because after a while he just drops his YOU DONKEY act completely and is just calmly like “these people are literally mental cases and I can’t do anything here” while staring off into space

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

christmas boots posted:

Right, but because all of the people are fictional, and there's no apparent explanation for why every character inexplicably behaves that way, it's funny.

Are you saying you can't empathise with fictional characters?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Buddy I can’t empathize with real people

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Someone post the video showing him on Masterchef vs Masterchef Jr

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46bXUWNyp20

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Len posted:

The UK version is a lot slower and more cerebral. You really get to empathize with the owners and see how just a few systematic errors in judgment has caused their business to collapse over time. In the American version it's Angry Gordon yelling at slackjawed morons who can't make a baked potato while that creaky door sound effect plays over and over. Both have their merits.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Oh my God :3:

"Do you know who my favourite chef is?"
"No."
"You."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

luxury handset posted:

totally, ramsay is not a walking yelling shouty guy naturally. but he leans into the angry football coach trope as part of his television persona, because he's a large athletic man. that's the performance people want to see on reality tee vee, and americans love the yelling and shouting in righteous passion

if you look at other cooking contest shows like kid chef or whatever it's called he's very nice and supportive of the children

With reality TV in general they just record absurd amounts of stuff and put in the juiciest bits. In the case of Kitchen Nightmares they literally remodel some of the places. That doesn't happen overnight. This stuff is a long term affair condensed into an hour.

Even so you can see how massively supportive he is when Gordon is faced with people genuinely just trying their best. The one that most comes to mind to me was one competition involving pies. There was this lady chef who was blind and had this massive amount of self-doubt. However, Gordon thought her pie making skills were absurd. He seriously just stood there the entire time he was critiquing her pie like "this crust is crispy but not burned anywhere. Listen to the sound the crystallized sugar makes. I taste this pie and it's incredible. Seriously, stop doubting yourself." He's blunt as hell but it's because he gives a poo poo. In her case he actually brings that particular pie up in interviews as one of the best things he's ever tasted on the show.

I think that's part of why people like watching him; he's pretty genuine and honest. If you're loving up he's going to tell you but he also wants to see you doing better and will help you along the way if you will let him. Some of the shows they deliberately turn up the pressure on the chefs but, you know, that's TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOipaGDSBTQ

There's the clip I'm thinking about. She won season 3.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 22:58 on Oct 28, 2019

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

FilthyImp posted:

Quagmire was basically Jack Tripper's swarthy friend and the writers inadvertantly stumbled into "the hedonistic excess of a bachelor is kind of creepy when that's all their character is" by veering into him being a sexomaniac with dubious morals. Brian turned into a South Park Liberal caricature and the last 10 years has been 'Dog is a facebook liberal and Quagmire has terrible sexual politics but actually goes out and contributes to his community'

I don't think swarthy means what you think it means.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Close. The one I'm thinking of isn't blocked in the United States on copyright grounds.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ramsay definitely has a Fox personality and a 'real' personality he uses on British-produced shows. Fox is shouty and looks for drama, the UK stuff is more human and genuinely trying to help. He had one episode of KN with an American woman trying and failing to sell soul food to English people. The food was great, so he set her up with a system where you'd just order soul food for X people and get an appropriate quantity of the right dishes for a soul food experience. She made some bad choices later on and lost the restaurant, but he did keep her going well enough she thought she could expand.
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x21eso1

My favorite of his shows are the Great Escapes where he visits India, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, and Maylasia to learn about authentic local cuisine. He ends up eating tarantulas in Cambodia, fishing for squid in Vietnam, and cooking Goat Biryani for a thousand people in India. Great stuff, willing to get down and dirty with the locals.

Here's Vietnam, where he eats the beating heart of a snake and learns to make soup while rowing around Cam Tho harbor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTIkSvz333k

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Amy's Bakery is the best one, but the close second is the Australian guy who stole hundreds of thousands of dollars from his son and basically kept him working as a slave

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The kid deserved it for wearing that stupid hat.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1NfWIaYed8

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ramsay walked away from that one sushi place too, and I think it was before Amy Baking Company. I think the owner sent him the bill for the meal or something? Black Pearl I believe.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Bar Rescue is fantastic for tragic comedy because you can watch some old punk feign excitement when Taffer turns his bar into an Applebee's.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Please give episode examples from Bar Rescue/Restaurant Rescue/ the Profit/ any similar show of terrible people with terrible personailties goong bankrupt. In the current political climate I desperatley need to watch some awful people getting whats coming into them.

see

bobjr posted:

The Pirates episode of Bar Rescue is possibly the best example of someone ruining their lives to run a bar/restaurant

Also, the O Face, Second Base, and The Dugout. That last one is especially good since the idiot going bankrupt is a landlord who thought he could run a bar, lol.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

christmas boots posted:

IIRC there was one punk rock bar that was failing because the owner thought playing any music that wasn’t punk rock and making fruity drinks was selling out. To the point where the bassist for the Vandals tried to tell the guy that as great as punk rock is it can’t carry the whole bar by itself and the owner told him he was too old to understand punk. I think that one also ended up being a walkout

Amazing to me still what people think is "selling out".

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Wasn't there one where the manager was taking all the tips and Gordon lost it?

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
^That was Amy's too, I think. The owners just took all the tips and claimed that they belonged to the restaurant. That was apparently super illegal.

The Profit isn't perfect, but it features some real assholes running their business into the ground.

It's around a 50-50 split. If you can find Planet Popcorn or Jacob Maarse Florists, those are good early episodes. The florist basically just gave up on running his company, and then when Marcus fixed it up he got indignant that all Marcus did was a shitload of common sense stuff and he tried to cut Marcus out without paying him for the improvements. Planet Popcorn was pulling in stupid money selling popcorn at Disney, but all the owner cared about was operating her failing crepes stands. Their accounting was aggressively terrible, and they literally had tens of thousands of dollars laying around their office during very disordered money counts.

Artistic Stitch is a fun one for sheer insanity. A guy has a surprisingly successful screenprinting/t-shirt shop in a large building, which he isn't running very well. He's ignoring it and massively in debt, while loading up a business card with personal expenses. Then it turns out the whole thing is an insane real estate plan, that involves him trying to just ride out a 5 year lease so that he can exercise an option to buy the building at the end for a quick flip. His genius plan to increase the value of the building including adding a cafe with a scenic outlook to his indoor youth basketball court.

Or track down the entire Standard Burger saga, which has spread across a few episodes. 4 guys start a fancy burger restaurant and slowly fall out until it's down to just 1 owner thanks to a series of incompetent decisions, dumb personal gripes and one owner thinking it was alright to fire a cashier after she broke up with him.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Toshimo posted:

Wasn't there one where the manager was taking all the tips and Gordon lost it?

Love Dharmapala Gordon Ramsay deliverer of righteous fury
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKfeQ8JNS38

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Love Dharmapala Gordon Ramsay deliverer of righteous fury
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKfeQ8JNS38

Hell yeah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

^That was Amy's too, I think. The owners just took all the tips and claimed that they belonged to the restaurant. That was apparently super illegal.

The Profit isn't perfect, but it features some real assholes running their business into the ground.

It's around a 50-50 split. If you can find Planet Popcorn or Jacob Maarse Florists, those are good early episodes. The florist basically just gave up on running his company, and then when Marcus fixed it up he got indignant that all Marcus did was a shitload of common sense stuff and he tried to cut Marcus out without paying him for the improvements. Planet Popcorn was pulling in stupid money selling popcorn at Disney, but all the owner cared about was operating her failing crepes stands. Their accounting was aggressively terrible, and they literally had tens of thousands of dollars laying around their office during very disordered money counts.

Artistic Stitch is a fun one for sheer insanity. A guy has a surprisingly successful screenprinting/t-shirt shop in a large building, which he isn't running very well. He's ignoring it and massively in debt, while loading up a business card with personal expenses. Then it turns out the whole thing is an insane real estate plan, that involves him trying to just ride out a 5 year lease so that he can exercise an option to buy the building at the end for a quick flip. His genius plan to increase the value of the building including adding a cafe with a scenic outlook to his indoor youth basketball court.

Or track down the entire Standard Burger saga, which has spread across a few episodes. 4 guys start a fancy burger restaurant and slowly fall out until it's down to just 1 owner thanks to a series of incompetent decisions, dumb personal gripes and one owner thinking it was alright to fire a cashier after she broke up with him.

Which Profit was the one where Marcus discovered that the business owners only invited him on with the intent to scam him on his own TV show.