Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yikes, didn’t know about that one! I just remember hearing about him bitch in, uh, loving terrible terms about how all he got to do was be a racist foil for Shirley/Troy.

He also yelled at people about how Richard Pryor gave him permission to use the n-word. Also maybe he used the n-word—I forget that part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

He also yelled at people about how Richard Pryor gave him permission to use the n-word. Also maybe he used the n-word—I forget that part.

He definitely used it in the rant I was talking about, but that was at least in the sense of “all my character is is someone who basically exists to say (hard r n word repeatedly)”. Which was a lovely way to say it but wasn’t really wrong.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Icon Of Sin posted:

Is it a statement on how few people watch that show anymore? :v:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

pentyne posted:

Parks and Rec actually handled it well. Larry just rolled with the punches and put up with it because his job made it able to have the most fulfilling family life he could possibly imagine. Usually the punching bag has nothing else to do besides be mocked or wrong, but once Larry clocked out he was the real winner in life.

It's not okay to bully someone constantly just because they have a happy and fulfilling life away from you. It's no different from the Family Guy Meg episode.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

He also yelled at people about how Richard Pryor gave him permission to use the n-word.

I mean, Richard Pryor said, very publicly, that no one should use that word.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The only Family Guy I ever liked was the comic where the son is in counselling over how shittily he and his family treated Meg.

EDIT:

Link to gallery of the whole thing

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 15:46 on Oct 26, 2019

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Jerry was a very nice extremely midwestern man who never held anything against anybody, and was completely drama-free and did deserve one ounce of the treatment he got from the other characters. I guess he got treated like that because he was old and fat when the other characters were all young and thin? Meanwhile Tom, a man who could best be described as a human vuvuzuela and was absolutly insufferable even before the Aziz drama is a beloved member of the gang who keeps being indulged despite being a selfish POS constantly trying to make everyone else's life worse.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Len posted:

My fiancee watched through it twice in under a year. Seasons 1-12 and then 1-13.

How to Save a Life and Chasing Cars are now emotional triggers to remind her of how bad those doctors are.

Holy poo poo they're so bad and people die like all the time.

seriously, the moment I realized it was just a soap opera about the worst doctors on the planet it became a much better show. Meredith is a bad decision elemental and the show wouldn't work if she made a single good choice for its entire run

still v bad though

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gaunab posted:

Cyril is like Butters in that he has the veneer of being a reasonable person who is being unfairly dumped on but they're actually just as bad as or maybe even worse than everyone else. I know you already know that but I wanted to say that.

Kind of the deal with everyone on Archer is that they're all different flavours of horrible people. Krieger is fun because he's the most evil while also being the most genuinely friendly and helpful.

Lana reminds me of Leela from Futurama in a few ways, but mainly in that she seems like the voice of reason but just has a different form of crazy than the rest of the cast.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Jerry was a very nice extremely midwestern man who never held anything against anybody, and was completely drama-free and did deserve one ounce of the treatment he got from the other characters. I guess he got treated like that because he was old and fat when the other characters were all young and thin? Meanwhile Tom, a man who could best be described as a human vuvuzuela and was absolutly insufferable even before the Aziz drama is a beloved member of the gang who keeps being indulged despite being a selfish POS constantly trying to make everyone else's life worse.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Tom Haverford is the loving worst. I thought the entertainment 720 arc was his rock bottom and he couldn’t be any worse, then they had the arc where he dated Ann and was generally a creep and I realized how wrong I was.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kind of the deal with everyone on Archer is that they're all different flavours of horrible people. Krieger is fun because he's the most evil while also being the most genuinely friendly and helpful.

Lana reminds me of Leela from Futurama in a few ways, but mainly in that she seems like the voice of reason but just has a different form of crazy than the rest of the cast.

I thought they steered too hard into the "everyone is an rear end in a top hat" quo around season 3 or so. Felt like damage control for Archer being such a terrible person, especially when after a while he felt like one of the least awful people of the group.

Woodhouse being a junkie is one of the most :psyduck: character spins.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Samuringa posted:

I thought they steered too hard into the "everyone is an rear end in a top hat" quo around season 3 or so. Felt like damage control for Archer being such a terrible person, especially when after a while he felt like one of the least awful people of the group.

Woodhouse being a junkie came around early. Like, early S2 at the latest, the paternity test episode has him jonesing.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't Chase also hired to try and pump up Community's 1st season? Sometimes they need a famous actor in the cast to get networks interested. I do recall a lot of promos centered around him that first season.

All Chevy Chase had to do was not be a raging rear end in a top hat and he'd be a beloved comedian. Andy Dick has more of a career than Chase does which is just mind boggling. I think Chevy might be just above Kevin Spacey in terms of toxicity and as far as I'm aware Chase has never actually physically harmed anyone.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Thing is with Archer is that they all work for a black ops spy agency, it shouldn't be surprising it doesn't attract moral or decent people, especially with Mallory in charge.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

. I think Chevy might be just above Kevin Spacey in terms of toxicity and as far as I'm aware Chase has never actually physically harmed anyone.

Besides himself?

Andy dick actually guest starred as Chase’s pill addiction in community, which was an odd choice given the whole Phil Hartman thing. Where’s Jon Lovitz when you need him?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Vandar posted:

How the hell has Family Guy gotten away with Quagmire for so long without some kind of massive outcry against him?

The show makes it pretty clear that Quagmire is a horrible, selfish person that you shouldn't try to emulate.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Samuringa posted:

Eh, I suspect the supporting cast's devolution was less a matter of trying to make Archer look better and more a matter of the writers trying to keep widening their vein of dark comedy.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The show makes it pretty clear that Quagmire is a horrible, selfish person that you shouldn't try to emulate.

They tried to make him a tad more likable by having him express love for kitties.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

With Jerry the joke is precisely that: how completely undeserved his treatment is. Yeah, he's kind of a klutz sometimes--which isn't really worse than any of the other character's idiosyncrasies--but then you have the mural they all dismiss because he fucks up a word even though it's infinitely better than anyone else's, and the painting he does that Leslie throws in the lake without a second thought. IMO the show does undercut this a bit by having an entire episode devoted to how Jerry feels about being the butt of the joke and ultimately being ok with it because he's going to retire, the outrageous absurdity isn't as funny if they actually ground it. Which is why I think the joke works even better with the guy who keeps getting shoe shines from Andy

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Last I saw the show Quagmire was a volunteer at a soup kitchen and laying sick burns on Brian because he didn't do anything but smoking weed having sex. The show was definitely trying to make Quagmire a decent person then.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
They joke a lot about Quagmire being a rapist which is kinda all you have to know about him and the show.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Quagmire was basically Jack Tripper's swarthy friend and the writers inadvertantly stumbled into "the hedonistic excess of a bachelor is kind of creepy when that's all their character is" by veering into him being a sexomaniac with dubious morals. Brian turned into a South Park Liberal caricature and the last 10 years has been 'Dog is a facebook liberal and Quagmire has terrible sexual politics but actually goes out and contributes to his community'

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

Brian turned into a South Park Liberal caricature and the last 10 years has been 'Dog is a facebook liberal and Quagmire has terrible sexual politics is an actual rapist but actually goes out and contributes to his community'

The family stumbled across Quagmire's rape-machine in his cabin. That's an actual joke from an actual episode.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

christmas boots posted:

With Jerry the joke is precisely that: how completely undeserved his treatment is.

Exactly, it's the same stock "joke" as in the other shows people are talking about. Characters bully x for reasons we don't understand, and keep doing it even after we find out why and sympathise with the victim over the assholes they have to put up with.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I mean, they've literally said in the show, "You're a rapist." to Quagmire's face when he was talking about how he should have gotten the spin off instead of Cleveland.

They know. I'm pretty sure they've mostly toned down his rape stuff. He's kind of lovely to Ida who has transitioned, tho.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

PicklePants posted:

I mean, they've literally said in the show, "You're a rapist." to Quagmire's face when he was talking about how he should have gotten the spin off instead of Cleveland.

They know. I'm pretty sure they've mostly toned down his rape stuff. He’s kind of lovely to Ida who has transitioned, tho.

so is literally everyone else on Family Guy, and I would drop the “kinda”, personally. everyone fuckin dumps on her

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

SatansOnion posted:

so is literally everyone else on Family Guy, and I would drop the “kinda”, personally. everyone fuckin dumps on her

After finding out she was born male, Bryan, who has slept with her, vomits for a good minute and a half. That's when I checked out of Family Guy.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

CityMidnightJunky posted:

After finding out she was born male, Bryan, who has slept with her, vomits for a good minute and a half. That's when I checked out of Family Guy.

They recently dated.

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013

umalt posted:

Which was a great shame because the couple of time's they used Shirley, Yvette Nicole Brown always put in some of the best acting of the show. She was a really underused asset. :smith:

Yeah, I think the majority of my favorite scenes involve Shirley in some way. Not necessarily as the driving character, but she took what little she had to work with and got some mileage out of it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mister Kingdom posted:

They tried to make him a tad more likable by having him express love for kitties.

Thing is, they have him take the moral high ground sometimes, in really, really hosed up ways. Brian doesn't understand why he doesn't like him, and after prodding, Quagmire unleashes on him and it goes viral. If he was just kind of vaguely pervy, okay, fine. But he's seriously a loving rapist and necrophilist, as well as a deadbeat dad (I actually didn't know about the necrophilia and deadbeatery, but it's in his wiki entry and I knew he was a rapist, which is bad enough). Lecturing another character on why he doesn't like him, made worse by his criticisms of that particular character being valid, is hosed up. Because Brian is kind of terrible, so people take Quagmire's side.

He also murdered his sister's physical abuser (which, is at least an understandable impulse) but I think he later lectures her on allowing herself to be a victim? He has also hosed his own mother. Yeah, I'm sure he's meant to be a bad person, but the fact that he's also meant to be lovable in the context of the show is hosed.

El Gallinero Gros has a new favorite as of 22:32 on Oct 26, 2019

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

The problem is that nobody in Family Guy is likable or redeemable, which is why it's easier to ignore Quagmire, because he's just another monster in a cast of monsters.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The actual truth is that no one who writes for Family Guy is likeable or redeemable.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Why have any of you been watching Family Guy any time recently?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sometimes you see a couple of minutes of it because it is on before a show you actually want to watch.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Family guy is exactly like the Simpsons. They have spent the last five years being exactly the same thing. If you watched one episode in any of that period you get the point

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I first saw Donald Glover in those Derrick Comedy youtube shorts and thought it was wild when he showed up on Community.

Now he's got award winning stuff in like 7 different disciplines because he's just insanely talented and never seems to take a break.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Jerry was a very nice extremely midwestern man who never held anything against anybody, and was completely drama-free and did deserve one ounce of the treatment he got from the other characters.

Jerry's whole character is a metajoke because despite being the designated punching bag at work he's happy and successful in ways the other characters never will be. His loving wife is played by Christie Brinkley, for heaven's sake.

His character is introduced saying that while everyone makes fun of him he doesn't give a rat's rear end because he's a couple years away from retiring with a full pension.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Tom gets dunked on all the time. All the characters get mocked by the other ones except Anne and Donna really

Actually Anne got made fun of a lot now that I think about it

Aesop Poprock has a new favorite as of 02:30 on Oct 27, 2019

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I thought Larry got dunked on because he was just kind of there, not really useful and basically employed due to inertia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

His loving wife is played by Christie Brinkley, for heaven's sake.

So what? It's appropriate for this thread that trotting out the Sitcom Trophy Wife Trope hasn't aged well.

Is Ross a better character for having "married" Jennifer Aniston?
Is Toias a better character for having "married" Portia de Rossi?