Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

kingturnip posted:

Don't bother responding to Exioce, they are either trolling or completely unwilling to actually engage with discussion.

"or"

e: yeah how's that for a snipe boiz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Beefeater1980 posted:

The big question about housing is, if nobody gets to be a landlord and make money off renting privately (which would probably be a good thing), who gets to live in a smart detached house and who gets to live in Apt. 42 Suicide Towers? Do you have the government/ council become the monopoly landlord?

Secondary questions are things like who pays for maintenance, who takes care of it if a neighbour lets rats in or doesn’t maintain a party wall, who can decide they don’t like the layout of the front room or they want to drill holes into a wall to put a picture up, etc. The current system makes it clear where responsibility lies for each item, some by statue and some based on conventions that are then written into tenancy agreements.

Tertiary questions are things like does the government compensate construction workers whose employers go out of business because the private demand has gone down and/or government contracts have been awarded to another company?

None of these are reasons not to change the system, but I think that taken together, they make a pretty compelling case for changing it relatively slowly by progressively making it less and less attractive to own a rental property, eg by very heavy taxation that looks through to who derived the ultimate economic benefit.
A side benefit is that it would eat away at the rental income of the major landowners, probably limiting their political power too.
With the Common Ground Trust idea, you'd own the home that you buy, and you'd pay ground rent to the CGT, who would own the land.

It's reformist rather than revolutionary, but it's a good starter for getting our Commons back. You'd still have all the rights and responsibilities that fall under the ancient Common Law principle of noli esse mentula, even if I owned my terraced house outright through some kind of allodial title, I'd still have some responsibilities not to knock a hole through next door, or remove supporting structures to cause damage to other people. A CGT could even help with this, because it provides some kind of non-court forum for discussion.

The ideal end state is that the occupancy of dwellings is based on need, but this is one of many steps to get even close to there.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

duckmaster posted:

Reverse-pedantry: this is in Scotland :)

Ah, makes sense. I apologise, our primitive English ways must seem very confusing to you!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Guavanaut posted:

With the Common Ground Trust idea, you'd own the home that you buy, and you'd pay ground rent to the CGT, who would own the land.

It's reformist rather than revolutionary, but it's a good starter for getting our Commons back. You'd still have all the rights and responsibilities that fall under the ancient Common Law principle of noli esse mentula, even if I owned my terraced house outright through some kind of allodial title, I'd still have some responsibilities not to knock a hole through next door, or remove supporting structures to cause damage to other people. A CGT could even help with this, because it provides some kind of non-court forum for discussion.

The ideal end state is that the occupancy of dwellings is based on need, but this is one of many steps to get even close to there.

I'm gonna have to look into this CGT thing, it sounds interesting.

even if i suspect you're just making up latin words

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Exioce posted:

Are you forgetting to consider our planning laws, by any chance? The one criticism you can't throw at neoliberalism economics is that it doesn't produce stuff. If there are profits to be had it will gently caress like bunnies, and there's a whole lot of money to be made from building houses.

OK, then - if neoliberal economics will "gently caress like bunnies" to make money, why is there a housing shortage that will take 200,000 new builds a year to fill?

The answer is simple: while it is true that by building to meet that shortage would see developers make out like bandits, the laws of supply and demand say that they will make even more money by building less houses than required because they can name their price. Neoliberal greed being infinite, this is what they inevitably do. You ignoring this shows that not only do you not understand neoliberal economics, you don't understand any economics at all.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Beefeater1980 posted:

The big question about housing is, if nobody gets to be a landlord and make money off renting privately (which would probably be a good thing), who gets to live in a smart detached house and who gets to live in Apt. 42 Suicide Towers? Do you have the government/ council become the monopoly landlord?

The people who own those houses I guess? Or if they're meant to be council houses, a single person gets the flat and a family gets the house?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I'm gonna have to look into this CGT thing, it sounds interesting.

even if i suspect you're just making up latin words

Cock and Gonads Torture

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Capitalist Georgism Torture.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Exioce posted:

Well, I'd like to see ol Jezza Corbs wriggle his way out of THIS housing crisis!

*UKMT explain how this can be done easily*

Ah! Well. Nevertheless,

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
John Oliver made a bigger deal of Johnson breaking his 'dead in a ditch' promise than the BBC did today, and managed to throw in a line about him showing that 'big ditch energy' to boot.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Exioce posted:

Are you forgetting to consider our planning laws, by any chance? The one criticism you can't throw at neoliberalism economics is that it doesn't produce stuff. If there are profits to be had it will gently caress like bunnies, and there's a whole lot of money to be made from building houses.

ooh, someone posting about planning laws and THE ALMIGHTY FREE MARKET, time to play a little game!

I'm going to show you two sites, and I want to tell you which of them has had over a hundred million pounds spent on it to build new homes there.

This is site number one. It is a former gasworks, and so requires tens of millions of pounds worth of waste removal and capping before it's fit for human habitation. It's also reclaimed marshland so anything taller than about 5 storeys will require massive amounts of piling (and of course even more remediation). Its nearest public transport is 10 minutes walk away (an eternity for the area) which then puts you 15 minutes and a change from Canary Wharf.

The council want to use it for parkland, which would be much cheaper, safer, and is badly needed in the area, so it will require several court cases going all the way to the High Court before the developers can even start, and its location means utility routing will be hugely expensive, and if you want to build anything taller than 20 stories there'll be another hugely protracted legal battle with the CAA because you'll be perilously close to the approach for London City Airport.

The council will require a bung - erm, an S106 precept - of around 25 million quid, too.

This is site number two, less than a mile away. It's light-industrial and on London Clay, so about as good a start as you could hope for - you can plonk anything smaller than The Shard down on it. That little brown line at the top is the District Line, and the grey line on the right is the DLR and Jubilee Line, which interchange just off the top-right of the picture at West Ham station, meaning you're a ten minute direct trip to Canary Wharf, Stratford, or London City Airport and 25 from the City or the West End.

The council are so desperate for it to be developed that they will approve just about any proposal, and even contributed to the cost of that DLR extension, and paid for utility routing. Any developer that wants to could put down >5k dwellings there for just about as cheaply as you could put them anywhere in Zone 2. The local authority own the land, and are willing to sign over the freehold for a nominal sum to any developer willing to build a development with at least a thousand affordable homes in it (and that's the ridiculous London definition of "affordable"), and the council will not enforce S106 precepts if the developer puts at least 500 social rent homes in there too.

So, which is the one getting all the money thrown at it by those extremely rational actors?

Site two has stayed derelict since 2005 (part of the reason Newham threw all those extra incentives at it), while site one has had a bidding war between developers to buy it off the Icelandic land-banking scheme that bought it the same year driving the land price up to somewhere north of 75 million, and had at least 10 million quid of legal fees thrown at it in order for the developers to get permission to start building on it - building work is currently suspended because it turns out the land is even more polluted than they imagined.

The reason why there is so much money being thrown at site one is that it is in E14 and site two is in E16, and the investors that buy these places literally look no further than the postcode.

The problem is not the planning laws, and never has been. The problem is that housing developments are built to maximise ROI, not to put houses where they need to be. If anyone can look at the housing situation in London in general but the East End in particular and still claim with a straight face that the market leads to efficient allocation of resources then they need to be studied by neuroscientists in the hope of isolating once and for all the source of Liberal Brain Spider Syndrome, because they're likely to be Patient Zero.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/1188946168358883328
gently caress's sake.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

xtothez posted:

John Oliver made a bigger deal of Johnson breaking his 'dead in a ditch' promise than the BBC did today, and managed to throw in a line about him showing that 'big ditch energy' to boot.

He also went in hard at Ellen in a way I think will get him a lot of poo poo

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

loving how???

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Beefeater1980 posted:

None of these are reasons not to change the system, but I think that taken together, they make a pretty compelling case for changing it relatively slowly by progressively making it less and less attractive to own a rental property, eg by very heavy taxation that looks through to who derived the ultimate economic benefit.
A side benefit is that it would eat away at the rental income of the major landowners, probably limiting their political power too.

I agree. We can make landlording less attractive by guillotining the current landlord class and then nobody will want to replace them.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

I bet this won't stop all the melts complaining about deselections being Literally Stalinism.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I was trying to refresh myself on why she's a bad'un and drat there's a lot to unpack here

I really can't think of any way she could get reselected other than the CLP being super right wing or that there was a lot of pressure to please not deselect the female Jewish MP at this exact moment even if she's horrible

E: Apparently she got through on the first round meaning >50% of first choice votes, I'd really love to talk to someone from that CLP because given what she's done that sounds completely absurd

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 29, 2019

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Pesmerga posted:

It’s funny how anything said in this thread that goes against the consensus is suddenly FBPE, when this is about Labour getting dragged into an election it claimed it wanted and has been ready for since 2017 in a way that every other party can start all campaigning with ‘and Labour didn’t even want this election anyway’.

Do you know how many times we've had people screaming "Labour's hosed it we're all DOOMED!" ITT in the last year?

Do you know how many times that's actually turned out to be the case?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Or no good candidates put themselves forward with any momentum (pun intended), or she can talk a good fight, especially as an old guard against a younger, less experienced campaigner. Or the meeting was poorly scheduled and the leftie vote couldn't or wouldn't turn out.

There are a thousand possible reasons, and it's for sure disappointing, but there's very little point in overanalysis. It's happened, and there's not going to be another chance for it to happen again in the foreseeable future.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

End of the day democratising the party doesn't mean all the votes will go your way.

According to this Guardian article Momentum-backed candidates are still winning the majority of contested selections, and the so-called 'hard Left' could end up with 45-55 seats in the next Parliament. Maybe not a drastic reshaping of the party, but having enough Corbyn supporters to guarantee a left-wing candidate on the ballot in the next leadership election is a fairly big victory.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

jabby posted:

End of the day democratising the party doesn't mean all the votes will go your way.

According to this Guardian article Momentum-backed candidates are still winning the majority of contested selections, and the so-called 'hard Left' could end up with 45-55 seats in the next Parliament. Maybe not a drastic reshaping of the party, but having enough Corbyn supporters to guarantee a left-wing candidate on the ballot in the next leadership election is a fairly big victory.

Yeah, just getting the relevant proportion of MPs such that a leftie will actually get nominated again would be a HUGE victory.

Change is going to be slow, unless it becomes extremely, terrifyingly fast, at which point it would stop mattering anyway.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

thespaceinvader posted:

There is no war in Ba Sing Se.

We were never at war with Oceania.

They should be put into circulation, then all the people who want Brexit for stupid reasons can have one, we'll make the passports blue, and quietly sweep the whole thing under the rug.

I’ve always felt this is a way to deal with it. Passports blue, number plates without an EU Flag and have to queue in the different lanes at the airport and got different duty free. I think 90% of people would struggle to name any other differences from membership. Your average vote absolutely does not know how EU laws are formed and moved into British law.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Hodge will win, Labour probably won’t, polls have never been wrong in British history.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Hodge’s attempted deselection was never a left wing move in the first place but an internal labour-right slapfight, from what people were saying? Guess Momentum figured that battle wasn’t worth the cost.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Red Oktober posted:

I’ve always felt this is a way to deal with it. Passports blue, number plates without an EU Flag and have to queue in the different lanes at the airport and got different duty free. I think 90% of people would struggle to name any other differences from membership. Your average vote absolutely does not know how EU laws are formed and moved into British law.

as much as Corbyn's stance on Brexit annoys me, I think this would be fairly genius.

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

didn't the vote require you to have photo ID with you, the exact thing Labour says is a terrible idea because it disenfranchises lots of people?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Exioce posted:

Okay, so you say this is not all handwavey and you've thought this through in a serious manner. Then tell me, what are the starting policies, what are their effects on the wider economy and society, how much they will cost, where the money is to come from, and the effect of getting funding from the source that you intend to? To have an answer to those things shows seriousness. Here, I'll start us off:

1. Jeremy Corbyn gets elected PM
2. He implements ________________
3. It has the effects of _______________ on Group A, ________________ on Group B, ________________ on Group C, ______________ on Group D, _______________ on Group E
4. It costs __________________
5. The money comes from __________________
6. The effect of sourcing funds from there is __________________
I sort of want to reply to this with screencaps from avengers endgame but you don't deserve it so

1. Jeremy Corbyn gets elected PM
2. He implements the infinity gauntlet
3. It has the effects of wiping out half of all capital in the housing system
4. It costs everything
5. The money comes from tony stark
6. The effect of sourcing funds from there is mr Corbyn i don't feel so good

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
It was never about the passports, it was never about the EU tag on the cars, and while I disagree with brexiters on brexit I will say they will be angry that they've been fobbed off.

Carborundum
Feb 21, 2013

Exioce posted:

The one criticism you can't throw at neoliberalism economics is that it doesn't produce stuff.

Guess that explains the massive growth in industrial production in the UK over the last 40 years. Oh, wait...

I'm sure you've met some annoying Marxists in your life but I don't really get what that has to do with anything. If you're at all serious, try to actually engage with some of the answers you've had.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Azza Bamboo posted:

It was never about the passports, it was never about the EU tag on the cars, and while I disagree with brexiters on brexit I will say they will be angry that they've been fobbed off.

No, you're right, it's about not having to see brown people or hear people talking in Polish. They'll feel just as fobbed off when Brexit has no effect on those things.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I heard he said "We will destroy brexit, and when no-deal is ashes, you have my permission to die (in a ditch)."

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
this is a loving disgrace

did boris even dig his ditch in the first place

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Carborundum posted:

Guess that explains the massive growth in industrial production in the UK over the last 40 years. Oh, wait...

I'm sure you've met some annoying Marxists in your life but I don't really get what that has to do with anything. If you're at all serious, try to actually engage with some of the answers you've had.

Yeah all those highly productive tax lawyers, accountants, financial traders and speculators, people doing bullshit jobs, scammers, salesmen, shopkeepers, landlords and wealth inheritors sure are productive.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
can someone itt with a financial times subscription post this article thanks

https://twitter.com/EuroBriefing/status/1188748402982567937

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

bump_fn posted:

can someone itt with a financial times subscription post this article thanks

https://twitter.com/EuroBriefing/status/1188748402982567937

nothing actually to do with the debt brake

quote:

Europe needs to solve its collective action problem
Too often the interests of EU member states are not aligned

The news is less dramatic than Turkey’s invasion of northern Syria, or our daily fix of Brexit news. But it is hard to overestimate the importance of German chancellor Angela Merkel’s decision to allow Huawei, the Chinese telecoms group, to bid for Germany’s 5G mobile network.

This is the quintessential instance of EU’s collective action problem: a large European country makes a unilateral decision to the detriment of other member states of the bloc.

Germany’s constitutional balanced budget rule is another example. I would classify it as the single most stupid economic policy decision taken by a G7 country in my lifetime. It artificially constrains the ability of fiscal policy to stabilise the economy at a time when monetary policy has hit the limits. The governance of the eurozone is the grandfather of the EU’s collective action problems. Huawei is the grandchild.

The issues with Huawei’s 5G bid will become clear much sooner: the company exposes the EU to security risks. Unless the German parliament manages to overturn Ms Merkel’s decision, other countries are bound to follow. This in turn will limit the EU’s ability to develop an industrial policy towards China. It would be a diplomatic own goal on a scale similar to US President Donald Trump’s decision to pull American troops out of Syria.

There are technical and commercial reasons for Germany to favour the Huawei bid. German telecom operators are already invested in Huawei’s technology. And the German economy would take a hit if China were to respond to a Huawei ban in kind. But these economic effects are small compared to the wider implications. Two of the world’s three 5G producers, Nokia and Ericsson, are European. Why not let European companies build the EU’s 5G network?

As a Chinese company, Huawei would struggle to dispel doubts about its ability to shield sensitive EU data from the Chinese security services.

The EU cannot base its industrial strategy on the illusory hope that a Chinese-owned company might stand up to Chinese politicians or defy Chinese law. 5G is not simply another telephone network. It will be a critical component of the telecommunications infrastructure on which much of our future commercial activity will be based.

By its nature, the EU is not well equipped to deal with this type of problem. It is good at triangulating between the divergent interests of its members, but not at developing a coherent geopolitical strategy. For example, the EU has failed to leverage the euro into a foreign policy tool. Foreign policy was not on member states’ minds when they created monetary union. And despite some minor reforms here and there, the eurozone’s governance framework is still similar to what it was 20 years ago.

A small-country mindset doesn’t simply disappear when states come together to form a union. And today’s policy debate in the eurozone is still full of single-country obsessions like competitiveness and fiscal rules. A similar mindset afflicts foreign policy. In contrast to the Americans, Chinese or Russians, Europeans are framing foreign policy in terms of relationships, not interests. Interest-based policies are discretionary by definition. But the EU is rules-based. As central bankers are only too well aware, rules and discretion do not happily coexist.

The EU has shown that it can act forcefully when there is near-unanimity, as was the case when national leaders responded to Russia’s annexation of Crimea. But that was an exception. More typical has been the failure to agree a joint immigration policy. Immigration is a classic collective action problem where interests are not aligned.

If there is a foreign policy strategy, it is to support exports. The business model of Germany, the Netherlands, Ireland and other EU countries is to run trade surpluses against the rest of the world. Foreign policy is a byproduct of the resulting vulnerabilities.

My thinking about the EU’s future is close to that of French president Emmanuel Macron. He is right to keep reminding the EU that it needs a stronger centre. I also agree with his strategy of maximum disruption of the EU status quo. Nothing else works.

Mr Macron was right to veto EU accession to North Macedonia and Albania until after reforms are agreed and implemented. The biggest task facing the EU is to get better, not bigger. He is also right to question the purpose of yet another Brexit extension. The European Council’s indecision on Brexit distracts from the more important issue of reforming the EU and the eurozone.

Some of the needed reforms would require a change of the European treaties. But this should not stop the EU from addressing some of its collective action failures right now. A joint policy on 5G would be a good start.

you might find stuff on the proposed shadow budget, statutory fiscal authority independent of the executive, etc more relevant

context is the currently negative yield on German long-term debt...

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Lol that Ronya has an FT subscription.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
It's 2019 and people still pay for British "journalism" lmao

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I can't wait to see what later today brings :brexit:

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
https://www.reddit.com/r/northernireland/comments/dm23ze/thats_not_a_balaclava_its_a_hat_to_keep_my_head/

Tell me again how the PSNI is any different from the RUC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

I won't!