Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I'm pretty sure she was about that age yeah, the accident was only fifteen years before the show so she couldn't have been much younger than ten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Her batmitzvah was the day of the accident based on recollection from the Arrowverse wiki so they were 12 or 13 at the time. If Bruce was Batmanning at that time starting at 20 and that was part of his first year, he'd be at least 35 at this point with a 7 year age gap. If his start age is more in line with the other CW-verse heroes though, he started at least at the age of 25 (Barry, Kara) to 27 or 28 (Ollie or Kate respectively), then Bruce is at least 12 years older than his cousin.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Batwoman? More like Break-expensive-poo poo-because-you-can't-catch-a-Batarang-woman :haw:

E: Thanks Rachel Maddow

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Rachel Maddow as Kate's personal JJJ is a solid idea.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Those are some very tiny explosions. Fireworks level stuff maybe. Dangerous if in hand, but not at your feet.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Mary is the best character on this show.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
That betrayal by Catherine might've been more impactful if she wasn't such a non-entity in the previous episodes.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I love how in the opening shot of her riding her bike you can clearly see the City of Chicago flags in the background.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I liked how we just saw Magpie die painfully in Gotham a few months ago.

Also Kate, tell you GF whats up. Secret identities are bullshit to people you care about.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Digital Jedi posted:

I love how in the opening shot of her riding her bike you can clearly see the City of Chicago flags in the background.
Are they filming in Chicago?

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Those bomb effects were terrible.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

Are they filming in Chicago?

They did filming in Chicago earlier in the year for some shots and in Vancouver for the rest

nooneofconsequence posted:

Those bomb effects were terrible.

extremely. Like I said above, they didn't even look that dangerous unless you were holding it

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

They did filming in Chicago earlier in the year for some shots and in Vancouver for the rest

extremely. Like I said above, they didn't even look that dangerous unless you were holding it

It still seems pretty Chicago-centric to me. They must have front-loaded the Chicago-shot stuff in the early episodes because there’s a lot of Chicago style things still there that Vancouver just can’t mimic no matter how much you dress it up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They're using Chicago for the skyline and wide city shots. Which works since that's what Nolan did and Chicago in general is a pretty evil looking city in places.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
The explosion effect when Alice’s goons were torching the Crow’s van at the start of the second episode was pretty bad as well, but I can understand them not wanting to destroy an actual van. This just involves putting a small pyrotechnic on the ground and setting it off.

I’ve become weirdly nostalgic for Arrow being happy with setting off those flashbang arrows right in people’s faces.

I was getting a bit tired of the radio DJ’s running commentary, but the batarang incident was gold. It doubly amuses me because I’ve always thought of the batarang as non-returning boomerang; the idea was a throwing weapon with a slight arc to make trick shots. But now it’s one of those toy indoor boomerangs. I guess with the downfall of Wayne Industries we need to watch the budget. Can’t just be throwing batarangs away willynilly.

I feel that the Alice storyline is the weakest bit at the moment; it’s riding on charisma and aesthetics, but it’s hard to get engaged by it. I’m enjoying the character interactions a lot more, and the jokes are appreciated (though I think they could have a build up to the sneeze). The show had a rough start, but it appears to be building up steam.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

It also kind of undercuts Alice's motivation to destroy her father for abandoning her when she already actually knows the details of how he was given fake evidence that she was already dead, and also found the map showing that he did in fact search for her exhaustively up to that point. Like, what does she wish he had done?

And the really crappy thing is I got the impression from last week that Crow Dad (blanking on his name) was the one that made up the bone fragments thing after weeks of fruitless searching and seeing the effect it was having on Kate, which would be a painful but understandable action on his part and give some meat to Alice's motivations. But nope, evil stepmom (who I guess at the time was just a friend that wanted to snatch him up for her herself? That's hosed up)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

nine-gear crow posted:

Batwoman? More like Break-expensive-poo poo-because-you-can't-catch-a-Batarang-woman :haw:

E: Thanks Rachel Maddow

I need a gif of Kate’s “whoopsie” expression like yesterday

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

ShakeZula posted:

And the really crappy thing is I got the impression from last week that Crow Dad (blanking on his name) was the one that made up the bone fragments thing after weeks of fruitless searching and seeing the effect it was having on Kate, which would be a painful but understandable action on his part and give some meat to Alice's motivations. But nope, evil stepmom (who I guess at the time was just a friend that wanted to snatch him up for her herself? That's hosed up)

Yeah, same for me. I actually thought it was pretty clever; the dad knows she would have been found by now if she was alive, and was distraught at his surviving daughter being consumed by the search for her sister, and concocted a reason for her to accept what had happened and begin to grieve and heal. Him being in hard-line denial was a desire to keep Kate safe from her own guilt, but he has to deal with that niggling thought that maybe, just maybe, Alice might actually be Beth. And Alice has a right to be an aggrieved party by this.

I was thinking about how he brought up that Alice is a killer as a reason as to why she’s not Beth, which isn’t valid proof, but is a good emotional justifier to leave the past alone and focus on the present. And his own doubt was beginning to take the better of him in private. And it’s the same character trait shown when he tries to protect Kate from dangerous combat jobs, but changes his mind upon realising he shouldn’t be making that call for Kate. But nope, we need a clear-cut villain, even if that undercuts Alice.

I feel like this may have been a re-write. Alice has crossed red-lines for both the dad and Kate with her murders. Having the dad’s actions seem reasonable makes her transgressions a larger impediment to reconciliation. But now they have a common party to blame the entire mess on, so we can have a happier ending, even if the journey there is weaker.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Its funny if they wanted to use Chicago as a model for Gotham but want a cheaper, Canadian alternative, Toronto works. Both cities were built around the same time and have a lot of similarities, though it lacks the river that Chicago has.

But I think everyone in the Arrowverse would crumble into dust if they filmed out side of Vancouver. Plus they'd be getting into Streaming territory. The Boys, Umbrella Academy, Expanse and Star Trek Disco are all shot here.

ShakeZula posted:

It also kind of undercuts Alice's motivation to destroy her father for abandoning her when she already actually knows the details of how he was given fake evidence that she was already dead, and also found the map showing that he did in fact search for her exhaustively up to that point. Like, what does she wish he had done?

Yea that was really weird, because the scene made it look like the Dad just made poo poo up on the spot. It would have worked if he said he'd known for a while but didn't want to tell Kate. So were they married by then? That's moving on pretty fast from dead wife and kid.

Alice needs to keep being evil and trying to kill her dad because she hasn't recited all of Alice in Wonderland yet and the other things that are on the weird but smart villains do.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

Ubik_Lives posted:

I’m enjoying the character interactions a lot more, and the jokes are appreciated (though I think they could have a build up to the sneeze).

When that I happened I thought 'You were being serious when you told your bird themed villain that you're allergic to feathers? Why would you do that?'

Then again she is comically bad at lying, which is why her getting a job she'll constantly have to be around strangers she has to lie to seems like a bad idea.

It was also pretty weird that she moved to cover each tiny explosion with her cape, how do you know which one will be next, the last one being super unnecessary with how far away it was.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's weird as hell to see them walking along the river in downtown Chicago where I've walked hundreds of times.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The person playing batwoman looks like the person who did baby catwoman in Gotham but I looked it up and they are different people. Is this still set in the Gotham universe or they just rolling out another one?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Khanstant posted:

The person playing batwoman looks like the person who did baby catwoman in Gotham but I looked it up and they are different people. Is this still set in the Gotham universe or they just rolling out another one?

This is in the CW-verse (along with Arrow, Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Black Lightning), Gotham isn't.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Khanstant posted:

It's in the CWverse which is entirely unconnected to the Gotham show.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
My bad, I only got through a couple seasons of Gotham and I am now realizing it isn't a CW show at all. CWverse is bizarrely compelling to me though, even if I can't keep up with it all. I did like the good parts of Flash and Green Arrow a bunch.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Bruceski posted:

This is in the CW-verse (along with Arrow, Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Black Lightning), Gotham isn't.

Batwoman, Supergirl and Black Lightning are in the same universe as Arrow, Flash, and Legends, but I believe they are three separate parallel dimensions/earths (Arrow/Flash/Legends, Supergirl/Batwoman, and Black Lightning’s solo tho I don’t think they haven’t officially said in-show whether or not he’s on a different earth, he just hasn’t interacted with the other CW shows until this years crisis crossover... yet.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Batwoman is on Earth-1, unless you're like the guy on another forum I follow who insists that the Batwoman show having the first few episodes placed before the Elseworlds appearance means this isn't the same Kate Kane because all the shows happen at the same time.

The events of Elseworlds were fully on Earth-1, they just took a short dip to E-38 to grab Kara and company to help.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I thought it was firmly established that Batwoman takes place on the same Earth as Flash & Arrow??

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Vietnamwees posted:

I thought it was firmly established that Batwoman takes place on the same Earth as Flash & Arrow??

It is and it does. People telling you otherwise are morons.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

GreenNight posted:

People can be incorrect about a confusing thing without being morons.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

GreenNight posted:

Whoa hey my bad geez.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Being mistaken doesn’t make you a moron. I was more referring to people on other forums who think it’s some huge conspiracy about batwoman being in a different earth.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

But I think everyone in the Arrowverse would crumble into dust if they filmed out side of Vancouver. Plus they'd be getting into Streaming territory. The Boys, Umbrella Academy, Expanse and Star Trek Disco are all shot here.

Where's the next cheapest city (and/or city that offers the most tax breaks) to shoot in North America? Maybe there'd be a whole new Crisis that ends with the Arrowverse moving to... idk, Georgia? Seems like a lot of stuff's filmed there...

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

LividLiquid posted:

People can be incorrect about a confusing thing without being morons.

True; but in my experience when they are incorrect about something that is actually extremely straight forward and explicitly laid out in such a way that anyone paying even the slightest amount of attention ought to be able to comprehend; then they are most likely morons.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

Aquasnake posted:

It was also pretty weird that she moved to cover each tiny explosion with her cape, how do you know which one will be next, the last one being super unnecessary with how far away it was.

I think the film crew expected one thing, and the visual effects crew could only deliver another. I'm guessing the film crew expected the bombs to get a heat glow before they exploded, and the explosions to be much larger, and so it makes sense for Batwoman to run around and block the explosions standing up. But then they didn’t do things like add flashes of light into the scene, or have some sort of wind blast hit Kate’s cape, so the effects crew couldn’t integrate large explosions properly with the time they had, and scaled them down so it's not as obvious that they aren't interacting with their environment.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I had forgotten the details from last year's x-over, so I thought Batwoman was on the same Earth as Supergirl since

a) Batman DOES exist in some form, since Kara's mentioned Clark's "weird" friend in Gotham
b) and the x-over ep ending with Supergirl and Batwoman shaking hands, hoping to work with one another again.

But as someone pointed out earlier in the thread, Kate's on Earth-1.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Davros1 posted:

I had forgotten the details from last year's x-over, so I thought Batwoman was on the same Earth as Supergirl since

a) Batman DOES exist in some form, since Kara's mentioned Clark's "weird" friend in Gotham
b) and the x-over ep ending with Supergirl and Batwoman shaking hands, hoping to work with one another again.

But as someone pointed out earlier in the thread, Kate's on Earth-1.

That was my impression too. Not that any of it really matters since the only reason they’re in different dimensions is so they can casually explain why there aren’t more team ups/character references between the shows.

I miss Barry and Oliver popping up in each other’s shows without it being an event, but now that the shows have ballooned up, they just save all the crossovers for the crisis eps.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah in Arrow when they were like "Oliver, this is big we need to get help". And he mentions Diggle and Canary. Yeah big help. Didn't even mention Barry.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Look if you need an explanation imagine drunk Cisco stumbling over his words before shrugging and saying Speedforce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SardonicTyrant posted:

Look if you need an explanation imagine drunk Cisco stumbling over his words before shrugging and saying Speedforce

Every Arrowverse show should be able to utilize speedforce.gif to get out of explaining poo poo.