Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Depends on the voter. But a lot of the alt right Chan ones like yang and or Gabbard for various reasons. Some still like trump but many dropped because it became even to obvious for them that he is a moron but a lot dropped him because he likes Israel or some poo poo and he didn’t kill enough browns. Many of them have either gotten bored with it all together and a few others have gone full siege pill. The ones you’re talking about probably still supporting trump some what if only to not look “weak” but many are probably just sick of him on various levels. I guess my view is trump probably has more support than I’d like to think but half of them probably think he is hosed in 2020 and etc.

I'm afraid to ask, what the gently caress is a "Siege Pill?"

Are the Turner Diaries or the Joker involved?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

skylined! posted:

I believe this will begin another.... compaction cycle, where chuds continue to believe this is a massive victory and sane not-totally-deadeyed Rs continue to peel off.

PJ's framework is very useful for describing this sort of behavior.

tokyo reject
Jun 12, 2019

when she's tryin to slide into your dm's but you wanna talk about a better america

Just catching up on the thread. While I think reps should be able to gently caress whoever they want outside of normal poo poo like “don’t gently caress subordinates you have authority over in the workplace”, if you’ve put 700+ pics of yourself nude up on the internet why in the gently caress would you ever run for public office and not expect them to surface and get used against you. It seems naive to think in the age of the internet that privacy exists, the morality of it aside.

And yeah, they’re all def getting passed around by thirsty GOP reps while they jerk off to her with one hand and tweet out pearl clutching statements with the other.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

tokyo reject posted:

Just catching up on the thread. While I think reps should be able to gently caress whoever they want outside of normal poo poo like “don’t gently caress subordinates you have authority over in the workplace”, if you’ve put 700+ pics of yourself nude up on the internet why in the gently caress would you ever run for public office and not expect them to surface and get used against you. It seems naive to think in the age of the internet that privacy exists, the morality of it aside.

And yeah, they’re all def getting passed around by thirsty GOP reps while they jerk off to her with one hand and tweet out pearl clutching statements with the other.

She didn't put them on the internet, they were private pictures and her ex-husband leaked them.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

tokyo reject posted:

Thanks for chiming in despite not knowing even the basic details of what you were talking about

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

VH4Ever posted:

I don't have a secret agenda here I just thought that was a thing that happened. I still don't get it but it did, right?

I do think Trump's pitch is a lot harder already being president than it was when he wasn't. Now he has to defend what he did or didn't do, not just lob insults. He'll do that anyway but I doubt it convinces as many fence-sitters as before.

Still need to mobilize like crazy against him in any case.

If you're interested in looking at a breakdown of the numbers, both NPR and 538 did some work on the stats. In short, about 25% of Bernie voters didn't vote for Hillary in the general election. Half of them voted for Trump, and the other half voted for a third party or didn't vote at all.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/bernie-sanders-was-helped-by-the-neverhillary-vote-what-does-that-mean-for-his-chances-now/

https://www.npr.org/2017/08/24/545812242/1-in-10-sanders-primary-voters-ended-up-supporting-trump-survey-finds

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Wylie posted:

I'd take that bet.

I really don't like the attitude that says "people can't be changed, so don't bother trying."

It's not true, and I know that first-hand. My family voted R since forever- my first voting-related memory is going to the polls with my mom and helping her pull the lever for Ford, for chrissakes. I listened to Rush on the radio in the 90's. I read Ayn Rand unironically.

Sometime during the Obama administration, I started figuring things out for myself about who the R team was really working for (spoiler: not me), and by the time the escalator ride happened I knew two things: 1. That orange rear end in a top hat was going to be President, and 2. I wanted no part of it.

At any point while I was on the journey from R to I to D, someone who I was talking to could have shut the whole thing down with "well you're just a chud, no sense talking to you" and turned me off the whole thing entirely. Thank goodness they didn't.

So yeah, you can change minds. And if you can do it, you should do it. Even if it's not successful, there's value in the attempt.

for every one of you there is endless people that are incapable of change. It becomes incredibly frustrating to talk to these people. All the do is wait for you to be done talking so they can fire off carefully crafted astroturf talking points in order to try to explain the horrible or defend the indefensible. I can understand why anyone would be fed up with trying to "debate" these people.

ManBoyChef fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 29, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

TulliusCicero posted:

I'm afraid to ask, what the gently caress is a "Siege Pill?"

Are the Turner Diaries or the Joker involved?

no. joker isnt involved and never has been really. turner diaries is related but its based off this neo nazi dickheads writings which informs atomwaffa/bowl patrol and christchurch/el paso walmart shooters tactics. which is basicaly leaderless resistance. just cause as much damage until the goverment gives up or some poo poo.

this is pretty good coverage of the whole nazi fash movemement since ww2.
http://www.thewaroneveryone.com/

https://idontspeakgerman.libsyn.com/episode-28-the-siege-pill

this and the following episode explain siege pill poo poo pretty well.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Trying to rescue chuds reminds me of the story of the son of the founder of Stormfront and how he was deprogrammed by basically random people he met at college. He went from being a prominent rising star in the white nationalist movement to publicly denouncing it because people had the courage to try and cut through his bullshit.

quote:

In addition to being the story of Derek's transformation, the book is also the story of the real courage shown by a lot of students on this campus who invested themselves in trying to affect profound change. And they did that in a lot of different ways. There was civil resistance on campus by a group of students who organized the school shutdown, and shut down the school, and sort of cast Derek out, and made it clear to him how awful, and how hateful, and how hurtful this ideology was.

And it was also students like Allison, eventually his girlfriend, who won his trust, built a relationship, but [who] also armored herself with the facts, and sort of like point by point went through and showed how this ideology is built on total misinformation.

And then there were also [Jewish] students like Matthew [Stevenson] and Moshe [Ash] who, in a remarkable act, invited Derek over week after week after week, not to build the case against him but to build their relationship, hoping that just by spending more and more time with them he would be able to begin seeing past the stereotypes to the people and to the humanity. ... I think it's important to note that that did not happen quickly, and that they knew the full horror of a lot of the beliefs of this ideology and the things that Derek had said.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Whenever I want to know what a Lovecraft character feels like when they look at an elder god, I check the Facebook wall of the one annoying kid who was into politics in middle school. Loves Bernie, loves Trump, thinks generic Democrats are better than generic Republicans, and haaates Hillary and the Squad.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

skylined! posted:

I believe this will begin another.... compaction cycle, where chuds continue to believe this is a massive victory and sane not-totally-deadeyed Rs continue to peel off.

the core base(20-35%) will stay with trump until the ghoul hotels boiler explodes. i mean i met one today at work and he talked about how great and awesome trump speech was yesterday.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Dr Christmas posted:

Whenever I want to know what a Lovecraft character feels like when they look at an elder god, I check the Facebook wall of the one annoying kid who was into politics in middle school. Loves Bernie, loves Trump, thinks generic Democrats are better than generic Republicans, and haaates Hillary and the Squad.

What the gently caress.

so a... fox news watching democrat?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/JoeMyGod/status/1188915520369655808

quote:

The cost of a basic room at Trump’s DC Hotel is nearly three times its average rate on November 7th. Conspicuously, that’s the night between Senate Republicans’ two day retreat at Trump’s Hotel. Filling the hotel with a who’s who of Republican power players serves as an invitation for anyone looking to influence the government, and the hotel’s role as a hot spot for influence peddling has helped to make it one of the few bright spots in Trump’s financial portfolio.

Since Trump never divested from his businesses when he became president, he stands to profit from the decision to host the Republican retreat at his hotel, and even more massively because of the spike in rates that evening.

“Premier” and “deluxe” rooms at the hotel—the least expensive rooms offered—cost $1,345 and $1,395, respectively, for the night of November 7th, according to searches performed on October 23rd, 25th and 28th. That’s nearly three times the average cost of the cheapest room available at the hotel, according to Google. Hotel rates are responsive to a number of factors, and it’s not uncommon for costs to fluctuate, but the contrast is stark between average rates and the rate on the night of November 7th.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the core base(20-35%) will stay with trump until the ghoul hotels boiler explodes. i mean i met one today at work and he talked about how great and awesome trump speech was yesterday.

oh that reminds me, I need to get some of the potentially retrievable / breakable chuds (look, I live and work in Texas, okay) to watch the speech

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

he's done a lot of this but this is particularly brazen lol

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.thedailybeast.com/devin-nunes-aide-is-leaking-the-ukraine-whistleblowers-name-sources-say

so this is happening/has been happening.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Amusingly the Trumps are simultaneously trying to sell their lease on the DC hotel as fast as possible because they know quite well that Donald's massive unpopularity has ruined the long-term value of the property. His idiot son put out a particularly stupid press release that tried to argue that they were selling it because it made them too much money. 😂

Kaal fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 29, 2019

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Ya Daryl Davis is basically a saint also but it's real fuckin' awful to expect that from all POC - not that that's being done itt, but we can't passively look toward racism as a problem for POC to fix.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Well, yea, but taking only your base of 20-35% into an election will be monumentally disastrous for the entire GOP, on a scale American politics has pretty much never seen.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

skylined! posted:

Ya Daryl Davis is basically a saint also but it's real fuckin' awful to expect that from all POC - not that that's being done itt, but we can't passively look toward racism as a problem for POC to fix.

Well, yea, but taking only your base of 20-35% into an election will be monumentally disastrous for the entire GOP, on a scale American politics has pretty much never seen.

the death of the Whigs, maybe

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

skylined! posted:

same. alot of people i work with are conservative or rightish leaning but they either hate trump for various reasons or just dont talk about him.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

skylined! posted:

But it's not just 20 to 35 percent, right? Because the rabid base is, let's say, 25%, a bunch of other morally questionable fuckers will go along with the stuff the diehards cheer on because it gets them the judges and the deregulation they want. There's gotta be close to an equal number of opportunistic assholes.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Bel Shazar posted:

But it's not just 20 to 35 percent, right? Because the rabid base is, let's say, 25%, a bunch of other morally questionable fuckers will go along with the stuff the diehards cheer on because it gets them the judges and the deregulation they want. There's gotta be close to an equal number of opportunistic assholes.

i am 20 to 35 is the base that is super loyal to him. i think the problem is outside various opportunistic morons and lickspittles, i think alot of the part is at least willing to consider stabbing him in the back for various reasons.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Yeah what's the percentage of voters who only watch fox news as their info source, because whether or not they are die hard trump forever people, they are 100% going to vote for him cause they don't really ever see the bad stuff that everybody else has to face on a daily basis

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
https://twitter.com/iheartmindy/status/1188953722086281217

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

is this the lady who is basically there to be ogled by old boomers.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

I don't even know what the purport that Schiff has leaked?

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dapper_Swindler posted:

is this the lady who is basically there to be ogled by old boomers.

hahaha remember when Righties used to pass memes like "LOOK AT ALL OUR HOT SEXY RIGHT LADIES AND THESE CRAPPY DUMPY LEFT LADIES?"

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Dr Christmas posted:

So a misogynist who doesn’t really have other meaningful political opinions

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Bel Shazar posted:

If you want to trust approval poll aggregates a la 538, his base is around 35% - these are people that are ride or die GOP for whatever reason (racism and/or elimination of the entire welfare state and also taxes basically).

Peeling off everyone but the base means we have two democratic senators from GA and one from TX, among other things. It's exactly why everyone tacks to the center once the primary is over with - you can't win elections with just your base, which is why there is a lot of hushed talk of breaking with trump.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/attackerman/status/1188976673997381632

so this is happening. nice on the beast for outing this gently caress head.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

But the guy that was just arrested for starting fires was a Missouri dude

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/27/us/freddie-graham-reservoir-fire-cali-trnd/index.html

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Tatsuta Age posted:

Yeah what's the percentage of voters who only watch fox news as their info source, because whether or not they are die hard trump forever people, they are 100% going to vote for him cause they don't really ever see the bad stuff that everybody else has to face on a daily basis

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/how-many-people-actually-watch-fox-news-in-america.html/

quote:

Fox News primetime viewers amount to less than 1% of the population.

3.3m people watch Hannity on average; that's about 5.2% of the voters who voted for trump.

Ya'll aren't really understanding how loving damaging it is for the public at large to be aware of impeachment proceedings.

skylined! fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 29, 2019

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Eat poo poo, Nate
https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1188916150668689408?s=20

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Nate Silver deplatforming himself (or at least less-platforming himself?) is literally the perfect outcome of this so bravo everyone

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/dril/status/660644922744262656?s=20

so he is doing this?

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

skylined! posted:

If you want to trust approval poll aggregates a la 538, his base is around 35% - these are people that are ride or die GOP for whatever reason (racism and/or elimination of the entire welfare state and also taxes basically).

Peeling off everyone but the base means we have two democratic senators from GA and one from TX, among other things. It's exactly why everyone tacks to the center once the primary is over with - you can't win elections with just your base, which is why there is a lot of hushed talk of breaking with trump.

I get the "just your base" bit... but it won't be just the base. Within the R party that 35% is big enough and decentralized enough to exert a massive influence within the party and set that agenda, and between the "anyone but a Democrat" types and the "well, I'm white so I'll probably do well" types and the "wow, look at all the people who support him, I should vote for Trump too" bandwagon types all straight-ticketing their ballot I just don't expect the down ballot massacre some do. That being said, I hope I'm wrong.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Nate honestly seems like he does a lot of beer tweeting and given his profile and tendency to talk about really loaded poo poo has obviously not been a good plan at all

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Can we just talk about how much these freaks clearly dislike kids

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1188944247535198209

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Nate honestly seems like he does a lot of beer tweeting and given his profile and tendency to talk about really loaded poo poo has obviously not been a good plan at all

I feel like I need to stand in solidarity with a data science guy using social media while intoxicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

Can we just talk about how much these freaks clearly dislike kids

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1188944247535198209

its funny how stiff he is. like at least melania can pretend to care and get on their level. also the music sounds like its like trippy version of the background music on mister rogers.