Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
Jyn was going to be more of a radical terrorist type (hence why in the trailers she is in handcuffs when she's taken to the Rebel leaders) but it seems like Disney didn't think that was a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Rogue One didn't have any Bothans and as someone that played Star Wars Galaxies I know they are dog people and the movie could've been much better if it was about dog people doing terrorism against the empire.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

dudeness posted:

Rogue One didn't have any Bothans and as someone that played Star Wars Galaxies I know they are dog people and the movie could've been much better if it was about dog people doing terrorism against the empire.

I know its a trap, I say as I bite the cheese, but Bothans was the other death star

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Barudak posted:

I know its a trap, I say as I bite the cheese, but Bothans was the other death star

Well I'll be, I could've sworn that was in A New Hope.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
Rogue one was what modern star wars could be. No it's not perfect, but it's better than anything Lucasfilm released this decade.

Watching the D23 IX trailer (the one that begins with flashbacks to ep 1-8) still gives me some tears. The first half that covered the OT was just shot after shot of iconic scenes. From the first shot of Luke and Ben to the Han/Leia kiss on Cloud City and the lightsaber duel in front of the emperor. The prequels only have a few scenes so incredibly iconic, and the sequels have none.

Now we have people like JJ who get hailed as somehow being the nerd Jesus when all he does is make movies that can be marketed to the masses. I miss having a happy medium between a movie being wall to wall Oscar grabs that's a flop if it doesn't make a half billion dollars or an art house indie film that's just a guy with a super 8 camera filming himself jerking off onto his own face.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."

dudeness posted:

Well I'll be, I could've sworn that was in A New Hope.

It's rotj and the Bothans just gave the rebels info on where the death star ii was located and clued them in to the emperor's visit.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i think ROTJ as it is could have worked better if it were, like, the fifth or sixth movie. ...
if they'd had at least one or two more movies' worth of adventures before revisiting tatooine and the death star, i think it would have been received better

edit: alternately if you do the tatooine revisit in one of those intermediate movies then you can spend all of the last movie on luke/vader/emperor and taking down the empire

This strikes me as a very contemporary view of what 'works' that you're trying to apply to a 1983 movie. Maybe that's exctly what you mean to do, which is fine, but a lot of things really were different at the time.

There wasn't an immediate backlash to Return of the Jedi. In fact, it had a prerty gangbusters reception and the fact it managed to outgross Empire which already had a remarkable hold for a sequel (generally sequels were expected to do about half the business of their predecessors at the time) was pretty jaw-dropping. Throughout the 80s and 90s the consensus would form that ROTJ was the weakest of the bunch, but initially the three movies were quite equal in regard, with everyone having their favorites. Honestly it was probably Empire that had the most contentious reputation during the trilogy's heyday - people hadn't quite made up their minds whether its lack of resolution was a strength or a weakness.

The reprise of Tatooine and Death Star weren't seen as nostalgia so much as bringing the series full circle; people knew this was a finale and saw it as wrapping things up and revisiting things because this was the last chance to do so.

The very casual suggestion that the trilogy would have been better served with two or three more installments is super-modern - you really couldn't take the audience's patience for such an extended movie series for granted. It's true that Rocky and Star Trek managed to rack 'em up, but they were also the butt of a lot of jokes for being seemingly neverending. Even Lucas's own ambitions for a trilogy of trilogies were considered more aspirational than anything and I doubt it surprised anyone when he eventually decided to try wrapping it up by the third installment.

If you told people about the Marvel Cinematic Universe back then it definitely would've blown some minds, and the very idea might have been considered ridiculous and tasteless.

SidneyIsTheKiller fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 28, 2019

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Richard M Nixon posted:

It's rotj and the Bothans just gave the rebels info on where the death star ii was located and clued them in to the emperor's visit.

"Just"? I'll have you know many bothans died for that information, thank you very much :colbert:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

This strikes me as a very contemporary view of what 'works' that you're trying to apply to a 1983 movie. Maybe that's exctly what you mean to do, which is fine, but a lot of things really were different at the time.

There wasn't an immediate backlash to Return of the Jedi. In fact, it had a prerty gangbusters reception and the fact it managed to outgross Empire which already had a remarkable hold for a sequel (generally sequels were expected to do about half the business of their predecessors at the time) was pretty jaw-dropping. Throughout the 80s and 90s the consensus would form that ROTJ was the weakest of the bunch, but initially the three movies were quite equal in regard, with everyone having their favorites. Honestly it was probably Empire that had the most contentious reputation during the trilogy's heyday - people hadn't quite made up their minds whether its lack of resolution was a strength or a weakness.

The reprise of Tatooine and Death Star weren't seen as nostalgia so much as beinging the series full circle; people knew this was a finale and saw it as wrapping things up and revisiting things because this was the last chance to do so.

The very casual suggestion that the trilogy would have been better served with two or three more installments is super-modern - you really couldn't take the audience's patience for such an extended movie series for granted. It's true that Rocky and Star Trek managed to rack 'em up, but they were also the butt of a lot of jokes for being seemingly neverending. Even Lucas's own ambitions for a trilogy of trilogies were considered more aspirational than anything and I doubt it surprised anyone when he eventually decided to try wrapping it up by the third installment.

If you told people about the Marvel Cinemati Universe back then it definitely would've blown some minds, and the very idea might have been considered ridiculous and tasteless.

i saw it when it came out, as a kid, and we thought it was a bit weak, fwiw. Reviews were mixed. I think the idea that ESB is the clear best is what's grown over time.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 28, 2019

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Horizon Burning posted:

Jyn was going to be more of a radical terrorist type (hence why in the trailers she is in handcuffs when she's taken to the Rebel leaders) but it seems like Disney didn't think that was a good idea.

That makes more sense given how different she acts in the trailer.

Also I'm going to say that Rogue One is the best looking Star Wars movie. The story might have been a mess, but the cinematography was top-notch.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I always felt every scene with Palpatine and Luke in it made the rest of the movie worth it. Those scenes alone are as good as anything from any of the original movies.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Toxic Mental posted:

I always felt every scene with Palpatine and Luke in it made the rest of the movie worth it. Those scenes alone are as good as anything from any of the original movies.

Because you actually give a poo poo about Luke. The Emperor (Ian whatever) is really good at making you feel he is a force (pun) to be reckoned with, and his restraint/confidence makes him seem really menacing.

One of the many problems with Rey and Snoke in the new movies is that you don't loving care. Snoke is supposed to be a threat because he can make people fly all over the place with the force, but the fact that he has some comical bumbling underlings really diminishes his effect. Also it's the second movie, you know he's not going to do anything to our protagonist who you also don't give a poo poo about, because Rey's a garbage character caricature by this point with "cheats" enabled who's basically speed-running through the trilogy to get the "best jedi with the least time/effort" award.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kazak posted:

Star Wars is best when its directly aping ww2 movie battles or samurai/western showdowns

The only good Star Wars movie is A New Hope. I hope Star Wars started and ended with just that film and then nothing ever again.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

"Just"? I'll have you know many bothans died for that information, thank you very much :colbert:

Yeah yeah we all know about Manny Bothans

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

If you told people about the Marvel Cinematic Universe back then it definitely would've blown some minds, and the very idea might have been considered ridiculous and tasteless.

Well it kinda is.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

quite wrong. Star wars is based on the Flash Gordan movie serials, which had 13 installments and came out in 1936. no one would have found 6 movies to be outrageous or even new

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There were movie franchises in the 50s that would have 6+ entries in a single year.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i'm pretty sure if you introduced them via a Thor or Wonder Woman movie that a person from 800 BC would get comic book cinematic universes just fine

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
The first time I remember Empire being discussed as the best was in Clerks, viz:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iQdDRrcAOjA&t=15s

I don't know if it helped establish or was reflecting the nerd consensus.

The last time I got asked which one was the best as a SW litmus test was in 1998 (by a guy who'd never seen Clerks).

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
even though i did not experience seeing the original star wars movie in theater i can understand why people would have loved Empire more at the time. we had something cinematically similar happen recently: Infinity War and Endgame. no one will say that Endgame is a bad movie, but its just not nearly as interesting as Infinity War. it's because Infinity War ended on a major cliff hanger and the bad guys won. no one knew what was going to happen next and they had all kinds of wild theories and ideas. it was fun!

the same thing happened with Empire Strikes Back, no one knew how it was going to end so people got really hype about Star Wars until ROTJ came out. ROTJ was a good movie, but no one was hype for what comes next so it is seen as the lesser movie in retrospect.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I'm not sure how much credence I give it but I heard a Take that Clerks did a lot of legwork to cement ESB Uber Alles attitudes.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i like rogue one. It's dumb, changes places too much, the characters kinda suck and the bit with darth vader at the end is just too much but it's better than solo and the lasst jedi (and probably rise of skywalker)

so it's the 5th? best star wars movie

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Rutibex posted:

quite wrong. Star wars is based on the Flash Gordan movie serials, which had 13 installments and came out in 1936. no one would have found 6 movies to be outrageous or even new

Barudak posted:

There were movie franchises in the 50s that would have 6+ entries in a single year.

Times had changed between the 30s/50s and the 80s, also. Serials and rapid-release franchising were seen as old-fashioned and cheap, the kind of thing best left for TV to fill. By the end of the 80s you did start seeing a lot more Part 5s and 6s, but not without a lot of commentary from the public about how silly it was. And nearly all of these were conceived one at a time, as in you made one move, and if it did well, you made a follow-up, repeat.

The idea that you would plan four or five movies ahead (and moreover, that someone would casually suggest making 6 movies instead of 3 almost as if it were a matter of course) is a very 2010s kind of mindset. Star Wars itself was about the only movie in a position to even entertain such a notion, and as I said, I think folks who'd read about Lucas's plans were kind of incredulous that he'd really go all the way with it, and they were kind of right.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Welp D&B got shitcanned off Star Wars.

LOL that they rushed to poo poo a garbage GoT ending out of their doo doo asses so they could get to working on it and that nosedive in quality is probably why they "are too busy" to do a star war now.

I think more directors have been publicly fired from star warses than actually made a star war at this point.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Could also have something to do with the disastrous panel they did on Saturday where they flat out admitted that they had no business running any show, let alone a fantasy epic book adaptation, and literally learned how to write and film a story mid-production

(Its a tweet thread but very suspicion confirming)
https://twitter.com/ForArya/status/1188186578071556102?s=19

https://twitter.com/ForArya/status/1188190757087264769?s=19

https://twitter.com/ForArya/status/1188192403104174084?s=19

To clarify, one of their dads is or was high up at Goldman Sachs

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
no it's just because Disney was able to grab the director they were hoping for all along

kevin smith

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Mozi posted:

no it's just because Disney was able to grab the director they were hoping for all along

kevin smith

please do not speak this into reality

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Mozi posted:

Ari Aster

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Mozi posted:

Zack Snyder

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Mozi posted:

Michael Bay

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Mozi posted:

Alan Smithee

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Tshi

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Lol way to go Disney

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-shocker-game-thrones-duo-quits-planned-trilogy-1250666

quote:

The exit of Benioff and Weiss comes as Star Wars is at a crossroads. Abrams' The Rise of Skywalker (Dec. 20) will close out the Skywalker Saga, and Lucasfilm will pivot its focus to the small screen with a number of Disney+ streaming shows, including Jon Favreau's The Mandalorian (Nov. 12), as well as other series in development, such as a Diego Luna-led Rogue One prequel, as well as an Obi-Wan Kenobi series starring Ewan McGregor.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
I’m pretty sure Benioff and Weiss quit because Netflix gave them a better offer. And given Disney+ is a Netflix competitor, they were probably mutually exclusive.

It’s hard to say who is a bigger idiot in this. Disney for wanting them in the first place but actually failing at grabbing them, Netflix actually ponying up the cash for them, or just Benioff and Weiss themselves.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mozi posted:

kevin smith

at this point i pretty much feel if it isn't directed by Geroge Lucas than it isn't star wars. the whole concept of just "buying an IP" and leaving behind the people who actually made it is just stupid. it never results in anything good or worthwhile.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

wasn't Rogue One heavily re-edited? i thought i'd heard at one point the lead was supposed to be like a former Imperial spy or something and then that didn't test well or something

Now that's the way I can imagine Disney loving up. Mass appeal through no appeal

Burns
May 10, 2008

This thread reads like a playground argument we used to have in grade school.

Also those GOT hackfrauds apparently left their starwar project which they ruined GOT for. Lol.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Rutibex posted:

at this point i pretty much feel if it isn't directed by Geroge Lucas than it isn't star wars. the whole concept of just "buying an IP" and leaving behind the people who actually made it is just stupid. it never results in anything good or worthwhile.

George Lucas only directed ANH (which was essentially made good in editing) and the prequels. He was essentially a mix of executive producer and creative head/director for Empire and Jedi (though he's supposed to have exercized far more authority over the script of Jedi, which he co-wrote, than with Empire). George Lucas is not a good director as the prequels demonstrate, but he is a pretty good "ideas guy" but he needed someone involved with the confidence and authority to tell him what he can and can't do in order for his stuff to turn out good.

e: Empire and Jedi

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 29, 2019

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Randarkman posted:

George Lucas only directed ANH (which was essentially made good in editing) and the prequels. He was essentially a mix of executive producer and creative head/director for Empire and Empire (though he's supposed to have exercized far more authority over the script of Jedi, which he co-wrote, than with Empire). George Lucas is not a good director as the prequels demonstrate, but he is a pretty good "ideas guy" but he needed someone involved with the confidence and authority to tell him what he can and can't do in order for his stuff to turn out good.

well yeah, its not all him but i think old George needs to have his finger in the pie for it to really be star wars. it would be like Disney buying the rights to Lord of the Rings and releasing a sequel trilogy written by M. Night. Shyamalan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder if Disney hired D&D just so Netflix would steal them and be stuck with lovely writers. This wacky speculation is fuelled by me thinking of why Stallone did Stop or My Mom Will Shoot.