Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
LMAO Bill was the Last ALP leader worth considering.

LNP and ALNP.

Gee what a choice.

Wayne? Wayne?

Can you execute this guy Wayne?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Solemn Sloth posted:

Maybe if we make ourselves indistinguishable from the LNP people will vote us in by accident is apparently the best idea the ALP has come up with in its review

Worked for Lleyonhelm I guess :shrug:

The "coin eventually lands tails up" method of politics.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Sparticle posted:

Looking forward to the next election where both major parties are competing to to see who can yell "JOBS!" the loudest.

the next leadership debate will just be them scoffing at each other for 55 minutes straight, reminiscent of that ciggie ad

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
It was gambling

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Zenithe posted:

It was gambling

gambling! that's why I could never find the gif when I searched for it.

thank you zenithe

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

hambeet posted:

gambling! that's why I could never find the gif when I searched for it.

thank you zenithe

A license for darts?

*scoff*

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

A licence for farts

Purk
Aug 9, 2017
Just to harken back to the recent conversation of the media covering police and protests. The way the climate protest today is being presented is laughable, I've seen a bunch of stories talking about rising tensions, aggressive images and that the protest had "certainly become violent".

But the images linked to these stories are police shoving, pepper spraying and arresting protesters. Who is doing the violence? Who knows!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The ALP is failing because they cannot be the broad church, they are too diametrically opposed in philosophies and honestly schisms would be for the best. You can't be an everything to everyone party when trying to appeal to the left, not that I mean that the left is extreme and Everything Now positions but that they have fundamental principles that you can't take or leave (the rule Rudd broke).

Labor's identity is in the name, Labor, but they have so little to do with the way the working class exists now that they are terrified of re-aligning to cede any ground to the left (more than happy to cede it to the right though). So you have a party that simultaneously is trying to appeal to the inner city middle class, the rurual working class, and the outer city working class. And appealing has morphed into appeasement and being "well I won't lose these votes because its a mandatory voting system" except that realpolitik doesn't work without a forceful personality and conviction.

Thiese policies have no conviction and clearly are done by numbers crunching, its politics written not by principle but by self-fear. And the part is all those people theyre trying to appeal to can see the biggest issue - its pathetic. And nobody wants to nail their flags to a pathetic.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

quote:

Two people were also arrested in relation to animal cruelty after allegedly assaulting a police horse who had been brought in to control the crowd.

as opposed to the antiquated idea of using horses to trample protesters

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

the charge of the right brigade

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ColtMcAsskick posted:

Is there anything more useless than the Australian Labor Party?
the liberal party (kinda)

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Purk posted:

Just to harken back to the recent conversation of the media covering police and protests. The way the climate protest today is being presented is laughable, I've seen a bunch of stories talking about rising tensions, aggressive images and that the protest had "certainly become violent".

But the images linked to these stories are police shoving, pepper spraying and arresting protesters. Who is doing the violence? Who knows!

Sounds like the good 'ol "Protesters clashed with police today."

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

hambeet posted:

the charge of the right brigade

Noice

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-29/erin-brockovich-australia-class-action-pfas-contamination/11645312

lawyers having a field day

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

hambeet posted:

can't even fly lol. some bird.

neither can you, skintube

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
One of my mates got cancer (at 27) and his house is right in a PFAS contaminated zone, the docs think it was definitely the PFAS contamination

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Shine are a bunch of ambulance chasing morons

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Even Jimmy McGill occasionally had legit cases,

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

GoldStandardConure posted:

Vote fairy penguin, as penguins are birds too (and are the best birds).

CANT EVEN CALL THEM FAIRY PENGUINS ANYMORE DUE TO THE PC POLICE

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

teacup posted:

CANT EVEN CALL THEM FAIRY PENGUINS ANYMORE DUE TO THE PC POLICE

yes you can
i just did

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Solemn Sloth posted:

Shine are a bunch of ambulance chasing morons

They are obviously fuckwits by lieu of being private practise lawyers but they did a really good job on mrs turnbeugs tpd claim so I think they are probably pretty smart!!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

what will the alp do once they crater even further at the next election :(

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Synthbuttrange posted:

what will the alp do once they crater even further at the next election :(

White Australia classic ALP policy

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Police are attributing their violent behaviour at the mining thing against xr to valiantly defending the disabled access ramp lmao

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

bowmore posted:

One of my mates got cancer (at 27) and his house is right in a PFAS contaminated zone, the docs think it was definitely the PFAS contamination

I mean it sounds like it's a poo poo situation. The canary in the coalmines for humans are the Dupont guys who have been exposed to a shitload of the stuff, and IIRC there's not enough evidence to say that PFOA/PFAS is linked to cancer in humans.

Like I know this is a bit of a turnaround from my usual gimmick of being a bleeding-heart lefty, but there has been extensive litigation by individuals living near defence establishments for a while now, and while previous government responses have not been great, the last three years has seen the government really try and ensure that everyone affected is informed and also compensated (despite a very vocal minority holding out with chemtrails-style arguments).

Again I'm really sorry for your friend, it must suck to have people caught up in this poo poo situation. I think I made an earlier PFOA/PFAS post within the last three years, but to reiterate, it's also not just defence bases which this pollution has occurred. People may have caught the news in the last week about the widespread contaminating of sites around the Brisbane area, including of waterways leading to Moreton Bay. If this poo poo has been happening in Brisbane, it's definitely occurred in other major cities, and elsewhere.

It's very easy to fall into the "rah-rah defence bad" narrative, but what we've actually had is a whole of government failure regarding managing chemicals in the environment. Also, this poo poo is/was literally everywhere, and if you've ever eaten off a nonstick pan in the last 20 years, you've injested it.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Lid posted:

The ALP is failing because they cannot be the broad church, they are too diametrically opposed in philosophies and honestly schisms would be for the best. You can't be an everything to everyone party when trying to appeal to the left, not that I mean that the left is extreme and Everything Now positions but that they have fundamental principles that you can't take or leave (the rule Rudd broke).

Labor's identity is in the name, Labor, but they have so little to do with the way the working class exists now that they are terrified of re-aligning to cede any ground to the left (more than happy to cede it to the right though). So you have a party that simultaneously is trying to appeal to the inner city middle class, the rurual working class, and the outer city working class. And appealing has morphed into appeasement and being "well I won't lose these votes because its a mandatory voting system" except that realpolitik doesn't work without a forceful personality and conviction.

Thiese policies have no conviction and clearly are done by numbers crunching, its politics written not by principle but by self-fear. And the part is all those people theyre trying to appeal to can see the biggest issue - its pathetic. And nobody wants to nail their flags to a pathetic.

labor constantly plays into the liberals false dichotomy, created by industry think tanks in the early 90s, of it being the environment vs jobs/the economy. they will never win as long as their response to liberal bleating about the environment at the cost of jobs is a piss weak "yes, but" instead of forceful "no and"

"yes youre right its going to hurt jobs but we have to do it because airey faiery holistic reasons wah wah im a big baby please vote for me anyway " instead of "no youre wrong the industries are dying because the world is transitioning away from digging up rocks and burning them and youve destroyed employment in alternative energy and hosed australias position in developing new energy systems by, among other things, defunding the australian renewable energy agency, gently caress you liberal poo poo heads"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Sounds like an xr has been permanently crippled by the police, is this our gamers rise up moment?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

JBP posted:

Sounds like an xr has been permanently crippled by the police, is this our gamers rise up moment?

She’ll be glad they kept the ramp open I guess

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

There is no creature so loathsome as a cop

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

There is no creature so loathsome as a cop

There is

An ex cop turned politician

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Scylo posted:

There is

An ex cop turned politician

No such thing as an ex cop

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

The joker is a mirror into society, gaze not long into him lest you become a joker yourself

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

No such thing as an ex cop

What about the T-1000 in Terminator 2 that can become liquid metal after becoming a cop?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Anidav posted:

What about the T-1000 in Terminator 2 that can become liquid metal after becoming a cop?

It’s not like the presidency in death race 2000 you don’t just become a cop by killing a cop

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

That's a headline in search of an editor.

gotta poo
Mar 14, 2019

by VideoGames
gently caress cops and gently caress anyone who defends them.

I'm going to count the aussie media and our armed forces as cops as well.

and by gently caress I mean drown in poo poo.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Hollandia posted:

That's a headline in search of an editor.

It's the Bolt algorithm at work, "Left Rejects" registers as correct in all uses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Can’t imagine why Andrew bolt would so strongly identify with an angry incel clown :iiam: