Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Minidust posted:

Curious, what's this about? Tomorrow I'm flying for the first time since getting AirPods. Though I'm leaning towards using standard EarPods anyway, since an old-fashioned cord just feels like a better idea if I'm likely to fall asleep.

I guess I'll bring an older non-lightning pair too if I want to utilize any of the in-flight entertainment stuff. Man, this flight is gonna be a real technological regression ha

I use a white noise app when I sleep on planes and the AirPods don’t seal as much conversation around me as I’d like. I have Bose over the ear noise cancelling headphones but I fly with the poors and wearing head phones while leaning up against the wall sucks.

The AirPods are mostly fine for everything else but I find I have to turn them up really loud. Seems like the AirPod pros fix most of my gripes on planes.

I too bring two other wired ear pods with me for my phone and the IFE. Headphones are a mess!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RusteJuxx
Jul 14, 2001

College Slice

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is there a way of changing the flags in the iPhone mail app? It always used to flag as the red category, but now it's switched over to flagging everything orange so I presume it's possible I've just never noticed the option in like 11 years of owning one of these things.
1. Open the message
2. Click the "Reply" button in the lower right to bring up all of the mail options
3. Select "Flag" here and it should show you a list of color options and then, in my usage, it saves it for that account for future Flags

Just Flagging from the swipe options does default to Orange for some reason and I haven't seen anywhere else to change it.

I think this is new with iOS 13.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks! Ah so it’s an iOS 13 as to why it changed to orange. It happened to coincide with me using that color on my MacBook so I presumed it was related to that.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I have the first AirPods and am about the buy the pros. I dont have any experience with Applecare at all. Should I get it with these headphones? My first generation AirPods have survived pretty harsh conditions so I dont know what to do about it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

loudog999 posted:

I have the first AirPods and am about the buy the pros. I dont have any experience with Applecare at all. Should I get it with these headphones? My first generation AirPods have survived pretty harsh conditions so I dont know what to do about it.

I didn’t bother :shrug:

It is only 29.99 though so maybe?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I don’t think I’ve ever not gotten mileage out of the warranty on an Apple product.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
apparently I'm one of the people affected by battery drain with the latest update.
It's almost comically bad. I tried all the usual stuff, but it's waiting on an update or install an older backup from itunes I guess.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

Idk I just use Gmail and the Outlook app I don't pay attention to any of that poo poo

Outlook for iOS does push notifications for imap by checking for new mail from microsoft's servers, so I'll just keep using (and complaining about) the stock Mail app. It's bad but at least it's not huge-violation-of-privacy-and-security bad.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Okay

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
I'm looking for anyone's opinion who has done this: is it worth upgrading from an iPhone XS MAX to an iPhone 11 (the "regular" one)? The size isn't massively different I see, but the biggest thing for me is the fact that I'm paying ~$45 a month for 11 more months on my XS Max vs a brand new 11 being ~$29 a month, and if I did it right now and turned in my XS to Verizon because I'm eligible after a year, unless my math is horrible the overall difference I'd end up paying is $16 total; like total over the whole payment time.

Despite the definite savings in money, I'm more curious about if anyone has made that move and is happy with it? I know I'm losing the OLED screen, but anything else?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

loudog999 posted:

I bought AppleCare with mine and threw it on a credit card that adds a year of warranty.

Lots of people saying their OG AirPod batteries are in rough shape after two years, I figure this gives me three years to have them swapped if they stop charging.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

The Dave posted:

Are you happy with your iPhone 7?

Eh, it's fine. Definitely feeling slugish on occasion.

TheManWithNoName posted:

I just traded in my 7 and yeah the new phones are faster but it’s really the battery life I enjoy. Maybe pay the $30 or whatever for a new battery on your 7 and hold off, 2020 should be a bigger update.

That's actually pretty helpful, although I replaced my battery a few months back. I'm in no rush, but figured that I can get an upgrade either this year or next year.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

OMGMYSPLEEN posted:

I'm looking for anyone's opinion who has done this: is it worth upgrading from an iPhone XS MAX to an iPhone 11 (the "regular" one)? The size isn't massively different I see, but the biggest thing for me is the fact that I'm paying ~$45 a month for 11 more months on my XS Max vs a brand new 11 being ~$29 a month, and if I did it right now and turned in my XS to Verizon because I'm eligible after a year, unless my math is horrible the overall difference I'd end up paying is $16 total; like total over the whole payment time.

Despite the definite savings in money, I'm more curious about if anyone has made that move and is happy with it? I know I'm losing the OLED screen, but anything else?

You won't have a telephoto camera or force touch (altho no new iPhones with have force touch) either. Depends if you care about those. The LCD screen on the 11 honestly looks great, my roommate has one.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

OMGMYSPLEEN posted:

I traded in my iPhone X for a base iPhone 11 and am not bothered at all about the screen downgrade. Apple LCDs look great. In fact, I'm pleased as punch to be rid of the common OLED quirks. You'll notice a difference in contrast if you look at HDR content on the two displays side by side, but beyond that, it isn't something that I can imagine anyone being bothered by.

The one and only thing I can take umbrage with is sometimes the YouTube app defaults to 720p and I feel obligated to manually set it to 1080p.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I went from the higher density 7+ to the 11, the change in display density is unnoticeable.

I would say unless you're a huge display nerd, you won't care about the OLED vs LCD difference, especially if it isn't side by side. I sure can't notice unless I stuff my 11 next to a 11 Pro in a store. Who cares if you can't view actual 1080p content on your phone? It still looks great. You can still use the phone and text is still nice and crisp.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 29, 2019

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Especially since bit rate is more important than the listed resolution anyway. 720p is going to look better at 12mbps than 1080p at 4.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
Eh, I can definitely notice text being just a little fuzzy on the regular 11, but it’s definitely not a deal breaker.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

comper posted:

Eh, I can definitely notice text being just a little fuzzy on the regular 11, but it’s definitely not a deal breaker.

Yeah, that’s just not true .

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

LionArcher posted:

Yeah, that’s just not true .

Oh ok 🙄

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

comper posted:

Oh ok 🙄

Do you look at it from 4 inches away? Or have super-human vision? A person with 20/20 vision can't tell beyond 300ppi at a foot away. 300 is what magazines are printed at. Do those look blurry?

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

comper posted:

I also noticed this, as well as the dimming (?) around the edges. I’m sure in daily use it would be unnoticeable and not a thing at all. Definitely a personal preference, but I prefer the screen and size of the X to the 11 and I have nice big boy cameras for photos, so I decided to keep my X for one more year 🤷‍♂️. Can’t go wrong either way though. They’re all great!

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
Why are you guys so defensive? I said it's minor and not a deal breaker. I mainly notice it while using it in bed,.where yes, it's closer to my face than it is any other time. I really don't think it takes "super human vision" to tell text is just a little soft compared to phones with a higher pixel density.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

comper posted:

Why are you guys so defensive? I said it's minor and not a deal breaker. I mainly notice it while using it in bed,.where yes, it's closer to my face than it is any other time. I really don't think it takes "super human vision" to tell text is just a little soft compared to phones with a higher pixel density.

No clue why they’re defensive. People do tend to use phones up close and the difference is noticeable.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

On top of the comment that people regularly view their phones at around half the quoted 1ft distance in bed, more resolution also means the font aliasing has more to work on, and the result is sharper.
The quoted / testing figures are also only half the story. People can still tell something is made of dots beyond those figures, it's simply the point where someone is unable to accurately count them.

This may or may not drive your buying decision, but it's not accurate to say you need super human vision to see the difference between 300ppi and higher than.
If you want to test this in practice, pick up an android phone with a higher DPI (~500ppi) screen and look at it, then set the resolution lower and check again.
Most of everything will look the same, but at near distance fonts look crisper, especially on dark-mode content.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I've held my XR up next to the XS at the Apple Store and still barely noticed the difference. The LCDs in iPhones are amazing. I had no complaints about the display on my 7 Plus and this one is just as good.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Weedle posted:

I've held my XR up next to the XS at the Apple Store and still barely noticed the difference. The LCDs in iPhones are amazing. I had no complaints about the display on my 7 Plus and this one is just as good.
That's why I'm waiting for 120hz

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone try out the new Deep Fusion thing? The camera is more or less the only reason I want to upgrade from my 8. I'm curious because the 11 already takes great night shots from what I've seen.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Anyone try out the new Deep Fusion thing? The camera is more or less the only reason I want to upgrade from my 8. I'm curious because the 11 already takes great night shots from what I've seen.

I'll take another shot of that guy's halloween yard in a couple hours.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Deep fusion is supposed to only help with indoor/artrificial/medium light situations, and night mode does the rest, i thought?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The only time I really notice the OLED is when I notice how drat black the screen is when I accidentally activate Siri.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I don’t think the resolution drop is very noticeable but the off axis brightness drop looks pretty bad going from my 7 Plus to an 11 or XR (which look identical to me).

Not a big deal as you tend to be looking straight at the phone anyway but it’s definitely a downgrade.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
Thanks to everyone giving their opinions on the X -> 11 move. I'm gonna pull the pin this morning once my kid figures out what color he wants for his; the fact that I'll essentially pay what I owe left on my XS Maxxxxx for a new phone while lowering my monthly bill (yeah yeah I know I'm paying the same in the end but shut up) all works out for me.

Thanks again!

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Laserface posted:

Deep fusion is supposed to only help with indoor/artrificial/medium light situations, and night mode does the rest, i thought?

Yes, deep fusion works only in medium light. In low light night mode kicks in and in good lighting smart hdr does its thing. It’s mostly indoor shots that deep fusion kicks in. You notice it when you take a picture and go straight to the photos app, the picture is kinda blurry for half a second while deep fusion does its computational thing.

Edit: and you have to turn off „capture outside the frame“ in the camera settings for it to work

bronin fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Oct 30, 2019

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I feel like a massive dumb, but is there a way to take a photo that's just dark? Like, I don't want any of the fake sun god poo poo happening

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

LODGE NORTH posted:

I feel like a massive dumb, but is there a way to take a photo that's just dark? Like, I don't want any of the fake sun god poo poo happening

You can turn nightmode off. It’s the yellow round icon in the top left that shows up when it’s dark.

FiftyFour
Jan 26, 2006
Tosspot
Hey everyone, my friend got her phone stolen (iPhone 7 running ios 13) in Saigon.

She went onto find my iphone and erased the stolen phone, but she has no other apple product to get the verification code when she tries to log into icloud on her replacement phone. There is no Apple store in Vietnam either, the nearest is in Bangkok. She knows her apple id and password, how can she get all her photos and data back?

Any ideas?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Your friend should have gotten a one-time use Recovery Key when she turned on 2FA that’s supposed to be used for that exact situation. It warns you that you need this key to recover access so I hope your friend listened and wrote it down somewhere. Otherwise I’m not sure there’s anything Apple can do and your friend’s options amount to paying a state government to hack the phone.

quote:

As noted above, two-step verification requires at least two of the items below to sign in successfully:

- Your Apple ID password
- Access to one of your trusted devices
- Your Recovery Key

If you've permanently lost any two of these items, you can't sign in or regain access to your account. You'll need to create a new Apple ID. You can create a new one from the Apple ID site.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202649

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Your friend should have gotten a one-time use Recovery Key when she turned on 2FA that’s supposed to be used for that exact situation. It warns you that you need this key to recover access so I hope your friend listened and wrote it down somewhere. Otherwise I’m not sure there’s anything Apple can do and your friend’s options amount to paying a state government to hack the phone.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202649

Where the hell did they send the recovery key? I don’t think I’ve ever seen that before.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

I don't think it's "two-step verification" anymore, it's "two-factor"
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204915

This seems to suggest they can send a code to a phone number:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204974

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

MarcusSA posted:

Where the hell did they send the recovery key? I don’t think I’ve ever seen that before.

It didn’t give one to you when you first turned it on? I could be confusing it with the recovery key for macOS encryption but every other 2FA gives you some recovery keys from my experience.

But anyway, Settings > Name > Password/Security > Recovery Key.