Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Thanks people.

Also that howitzer story.

https://ktar.com/story/1594609/maricopa-county-sheriffs-office-returns-1960s-era-howitzer-to-feds/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Gotta be honest, if I was a rural sherif with no oversight I’d probably order a howitzer, tank, and a loving F4 just go see what they would give me to play with.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I wouldnt exactly call phoneix a small town sheriff but that didnt stop them from using a tank to crush walls

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Cyrano4747 posted:

Gotta be honest, if I was a rural sherif with no oversight I’d probably order a howitzer, tank, and a loving F4 just go see what they would give me to play with.

I don't think the USAF still has any F4s in flyable condition.

On the other hand the Army has a shitload of brand new M1s it doesn't want and doesn't know what to do with :getin:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
There's a lot of state fire departments and police agencies flying Hueys with Army serial numbers from the late 1960s, I wouldn't be surprised if at least some of them saw combat in Vietnam.

StandardVC10 fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 29, 2019

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Deptfordx posted:

Quick question people. The 1033 program that transferred military equipment to police forces. I'm just seeing 'Armoured Vehicle*' without specifics on a quick google search.

What sort of vehicles were actually transferred?
Also, any heavier sort of weapons? Some cites for Grenade launchers I saw.

* Not Tanks obviously

Yeah it's an RPG question. I'm wondering how ludicrously (but plausibly) I can equip a Southern Sherriff.

Edit: Obviously I can give him access to whatever I like . But I do like to maintain a certain degree of verisimilitude in my vigilante super-heroes vs the mind-controlling alien parasites game. :colbert:

Have you ever seen the James Garner movie Tank?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

StandardVC10 posted:

There's a lot of state fire departments and police agencies flying Hueys with Army serial numbers from the late 1960s, I wouldn't be surprised if at least some of them saw combat in Vietnam.

USFS and a couple state forestry agencies have AH-1's that absolutely did see combat, in Vietnam and later conflicts/wars.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Stravag posted:

I wouldnt exactly call phoneix a small town sheriff but that didnt stop them from using a tank to crush walls

Give credit where it's due, the LAPD invented that.

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

SeaborneClink posted:

USFS and a couple state forestry agencies have AH-1's that absolutely did see combat, in Vietnam and later conflicts/wars.

The fact that forestry agencies have Cobras is still something on the level of a John Hammond “We have a T. rex” statement for me. Why go with an AH-1 instead of a JetRanger like everyone else on the planet? Is it something to do with the winds around forest fires?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I’m guessing the surplus cobras came with IR optics and they’re not broken so why replace them?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Timmy Age 6 posted:

The fact that forestry agencies have Cobras is still something on the level of a John Hammond “We have a T. rex” statement for me. Why go with an AH-1 instead of a JetRanger like everyone else on the planet? Is it something to do with the winds around forest fires?

They were cheap as gently caress? There's a reason they're flying clapped out C-130s with cracked wing spars, P-3's and CH-46's.

Plus you can't tell me that the kid inside you would turn down the opportunity to light up a few hundred acres with potassium and ethelyne glycol balls in an AH-1 while making brrrrrrrrrrt noises.

The Cobras are only used for recon/air boss, though they are approved for sling load and bucket ops

It's just not the same with a door mounted Hopper and a Long Ranger.

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 29, 2019

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Prop Wash posted:

It’s like musical chairs, only some of them have grenades taped under them and there’s no knowing which. If your predecessor broke the rules, now you get to fix it or let it fester. If you fix it, you might take the blame for it anyway, and either way you’ll be working until 6 or 7 every day.

This was meant to have been fixed last year. The CSAF had a team of very smart people go out and ask questions, and the admin/“manning” piece was at the top of all the lists. So “squadron revitalization” has been a big focus area in the report they generated. Unfortunately there’s a lot of inertia in the system, and only so many admin/finance troops to go around (I wonder why), and I’m not sure how much will get fixed while I’m still in. Which, lol that I’m still in.

It will not be fixed, because the people in charge of implementing changes have risen to the top because they are part of the problem. Fixing it involves admitting that the system is broken, and that undercuts their own "achievements."

Also that costs money, but not the money that comes from the end-of-FY tv fund. Different pots, you know.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Kafouille posted:

The last one was retired in 2017. :( If I'd known I'd have gone to the Reno Air Races, I think that was the final stop on its farewell tour. It was one of the two full-camo QF-4s from Tyndall.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Godholio posted:

It will not be fixed, because the people in charge of implementing changes have risen to the top because they are part of the problem. Fixing it involves admitting that the system is broken, and that undercuts their own "achievements."

Also that costs money, but not the money that comes from the end-of-FY tv fund. Different pots, you know.

It strikes me that saying “different pots of money” is a way of saying “there’s useless poo poo we can buy, useful poo poo we can buy if we squint and look at it funny, and then everything else is off the table entirely.” Don’t know why it took twelve years to realize that.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Stravag posted:

I wouldnt exactly call phoneix a small town sheriff but that didnt stop them from using a tank to crush walls people's dogs.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

I remember taking the manuals for B-52 Megafortress, MS Space Simulator, Fly! and basically every Jane's game to elementary school for reading time :awesome:

One of the best manuals ever was for Falcon 3.0. Huge, three hole punched book.

Not the one from the later release that was the cheaply bound book.

Holy crap it was good.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Kafouille posted:

On the other hand the Army has a shitload of brand new M1s it doesn't want and doesn't know what to do with :getin:

There were almost 5200 of them built. What were flying were converted to target drones (QF-4). The last one flew sometime in 2016. In 2017 the Air Force ordered the demilitarization of all of the QF-4's and F-4s remaining.

I have no clue how the Collings Foundation got the F-4D they are currently flying.

There was another one a F4H-1F. She is an old bird that was used for a LOT of the Navy test programme for the F-4. About a year ago she was up for 3.9 million bucks with some drop tanks and additional drogue chutes.

http://warbirdsnews.com/warbirds-news/sageburner-mcdonnell-f4h-1f-phantom-ii-for-sale.html

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

StandardVC10 posted:

The Air Force is still flying UH-1N's. At least until the MH-139 replaces them.

https://boeing.mediaroom.com/2018-09-24-Boeing-MH-139-to-Replace-U-S-Air-Force-UH-1N-Huey-Fleet

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Cyrano4747 posted:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Man that's just a big old flying "there is quite a bit of fat to cut in our budget" sign

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

aphid_licker posted:

Man that's just a big old flying "there is quite a bit of fat to cut in our budget" sign

You must be one of those People Against Goodness and Normalcy.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

If only it was real... this IS a civilian registered T-38, but was used in films for years.

The one above is from Dragnet.

It was also used in Airwolf during the 3rd season and in the movie Hot Shots.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I still don't know why Dragnet was redone as a buddy cop comedy.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

EvilMerlin posted:

If only it was real... this IS a civilian registered T-38, but was used in films for years.

The one above is from Dragnet.

It was also used in Airwolf during the 3rd season and in the movie Hot Shots.

:thejoke:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Thank you all so much for getting one of the absolute worst songs of the 80s stuck in my brain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT_QRKfv8H4

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

No I know it was a joke... but the plane itself is real.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Dragnet also had a tank smashing into stuff too in a jokey way, much like one of the Naked Gun movies.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Except it came out a year or two before the Naked Gun.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Oh yah I wasn't implying they copied they just both had that same police tank thing.

The Naked Guns are the superior movies to Dragnet though :colbert:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Agreed

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

priznat posted:

Oh yah I wasn't implying they copied they just both had that same police tank thing.

The Naked Guns are the superior movies to Dragnet though :colbert:

Almost any comedy is better than Dragnet...

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

EvilMerlin posted:

Almost any comedy is better than Dragnet...

Listen, hotshot. I'm gonna tell you something right now. I don't care for you or for the putrid sludge you're troweling out.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The "virgin Connie Swale" gag was pretty good I must admit.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Anyone know where I can find the happy F-35 clip with all the vuvuzelas? I can't find it anywhere...

wkarma
Jul 16, 2010

Godholio posted:

The last one was retired in 2017. :( If I'd known I'd have gone to the Reno Air Races, I think that was the final stop on its farewell tour. It was one of the two full-camo QF-4s from Tyndall.

Here she is in November 2016 at the Nellis AFB air show, last Phantom flying in USAF service:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
The best looking plane of all time...

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

If people hurry, they can still catch this!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Any idea why Japan seems to have their artillery tubes riding on the back of trucks that they have to use a crane to deploy vs towing them at the back of the truck? Is Japan's streets too narrow for turns with a "trailer"?

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me
This popped up in the Mid-East thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
How long until we finally bite the bullet and kick them out of NATO