Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I believe the plan is adding races, zones, and some incredibly well-acted plotlines...just, smaller than TC/AP. I think more of an "actual DLC" style, more of a smaller scale than TC/AP.

EDIT: Along with this, it looks like they're announcing a delay for the Split DLC and 3.0, moving it back to the first quarter of 2020.

quote:

During the development of the X4: Split Vendetta expansion and the 3.0 update, a number of things have emerged that we really want to see implemented, optimised and fixed in time for the next big step forward for X4: Foundations in order to meet our own expectations as well as yours. We simply need a bit more time to do so.

Hm. May as well try it again now, then.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Just got the news about the delay, and to be honest it's probably a good sign if they're willing to delay it. Better to have a decent release than a rushed one.

Gonna try 2.60 and see how it goes.

Also I've been running the same save since release and it works fine, and I'm particularly curious to see how the new economy changes affect it because they're supposed to really cut out useless stations, so I want to see that in my slightly bloated universe.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 17, 2019

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom

hobbesmaster posted:

Sounds like I should just start over then. Are the planned DLC expansions the equivalent of TC and AP?

The exact scope of Split DLC is not known. I think new sectors were confirmed also story elements and new game starts. Of course it will add race ships and station modules. 2.6 patch notes also came with an announcement that 3.0 (and Split DLC) are postponed to Q1 2020. I'll wait until 3.0 to start again...

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Have they added lore and descriptions to X4 yet? I gave this a whirl some times ago and one thing that really flew in my face was that it felt really empty with most descriptions missing and there was just a huge general lack of information. Compared to X3 you always had some kind of lore and fluff text attached to things and the computer voice would read poo poo to you and all that. Smallish things like that make a huge difference in making the game world feel more alive.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Fewd posted:

Have they added lore and descriptions to X4 yet? I gave this a whirl some times ago and one thing that really flew in my face was that it felt really empty with most descriptions missing and there was just a huge general lack of information. Compared to X3 you always had some kind of lore and fluff text attached to things and the computer voice would read poo poo to you and all that. Smallish things like that make a huge difference in making the game world feel more alive.

After tooling around with the game for a bit for the first time since January or so, it does seem as if they've filled in quite a few of the encyclopedia descriptions? Like the ones for the various kinds of probes, for example, which I remember being completely blank the first time I played. Also, all the trade goods seem to have fluff for them (I can't remember if that was always the case, though). The pages for the various factions are still missing lore, sadly.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I just bought this. Even if it's not in super great shape yet, I feel like I got so much value out of X3, TC and AP that I can afford to buy this to support them. Their latest patch looked super promising and I'm looking forward to the expansion.

I'm mostly interested in building up industry in space and apparently this game is already pretty decent at it so I'm looking forward to playing it.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

a7m2 posted:

I just bought this. Even if it's not in super great shape yet, I feel like I got so much value out of X3, TC and AP that I can afford to buy this to support them. Their latest patch looked super promising and I'm looking forward to the expansion.

I'm mostly interested in building up industry in space and apparently this game is already pretty decent at it so I'm looking forward to playing it.

Building up giant stations is probably the game's biggest strength. Once you have the modules unlocked it's basically like putting together a freeform lego set. Then just hire a builder, give the construction site some money and your big complex comes to life.

No more having to manually unpack each individual station or spider webs of tubing connecting then together.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I read somewhere that if you put your stations close enough together, too, they will actually share resources ambiently through the mass traffic system.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Building up giant stations is probably the game's biggest strength. Once you have the modules unlocked it's basically like putting together a freeform lego set. Then just hire a builder, give the construction site some money and your big complex comes to life.

No more having to manually unpack each individual station or spider webs of tubing connecting then together.

drat, now that's making me want to get the game now, to rebuild my almost self-sufficient space weed+Argon whisky factory. (The only thing it needed was energy cells, which are shipped in from an entirely self-sufficient energy cell factory in a nearby sector)
Unfortunately I don't really have the time for it right now, so I'm planning on waiting until Christmas, where I'll hopefully have that time available - plus a discount on the game. :(

I don't suppose there are any time-lapses of a big station being built, is there? Or just screenshots, etc. of the finished product, at least. X3's looked great (well, the solar panels, etc. I mean...definitely not the mess of tubes) so I've got high hopes for X4's!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can make much more interesting looking designs if you want, I tend to just cram everything into a brick because it's easier :v:

It does look pretty cool if you stick a landing pad somewhere dense, the scale of the stations really comes into focus when you get out of the ship.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Oct 29, 2019

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

You can make much more interesting looking designs if you want, I tend to just cram everything into a brick because it's easier :v:

Still, it's a substantial improvement over X3 - looks good! What's that giant rod there for, though? Is that an airlock/umbilical for larger ships to dock with?

Also, can you (easily) get your own sector in this, by the way? I remember getting one in X3, but it was like, so late in the game that it didn't really matter. Since I had already established myself elsewhere, so it was too little too late, really.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Major Isoor posted:

Still, it's a substantial improvement over X3 - looks good! What's that giant rod there for, though? Is that an airlock/umbilical for larger ships to dock with?

That exactly. It's the capital ship boom, the wireframe boxes you can see coming off it are the necessary clearance, so you need to project it clear of the body of the station.

Major Isoor posted:

Also, can you (easily) get your own sector in this, by the way? I remember getting one in X3, but it was like, so late in the game that it didn't really matter. Since I had already established myself elsewhere, so it was too little too late, really.

Yes, in fact a very big addition is the ability of sectors to change hands, depending on who builds the relevant sector claim stations in them. That sector itself is a netural sector (kind of a designated player sandbox sector tbh) which I built a station in and claimed. The same process is how factions fight and take over space from each other.

It doesn't really do anything at the moment for the player though, other than allow you to rename it. But supposedly they want to add some more mechanics to that in 3.0, and hopefully the split dlc will add more sectors to claim given that most of the current map is densely populated already.

Oh also there's an AMA taking place on reddit today as I understand it, if anyone wants to ask a question?

https://twitter.com/EGOSOFT/status/1188863196553252865

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Oct 29, 2019

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Controlling a sector yourself, or at least making sure nobody else controls it (anymore), means you don't have to buy the space for your stations anymore, which is admittedly a very small benefit.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Oh also there's an AMA taking place on reddit today as I understand it, if anyone wants to ask a question?

https://twitter.com/EGOSOFT/status/1188863196553252865

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/dosb0o/im_bernd_lehahn_founder_of_space_simulation_game/

AMA for anyone that wants to read it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Just paging through there. The split DLC will apparently include a lot of plot so that sounds good.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I'm playing the "Experiment" plot mission and I can't figure it out. I think I may have deadlocked myself because since the mission I sold the ship I started it with because I wanted to upgrade. I flew a new ship to the spot with three antimatter cells, but nothing happened. Am I screwed?

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

a7m2 posted:

I'm playing the "Experiment" plot mission and I can't figure it out. I think I may have deadlocked myself because since the mission I sold the ship I started it with because I wanted to upgrade. I flew a new ship to the spot with three antimatter cells, but nothing happened. Am I screwed?

Jump out of the ship in your spacesuit, fly some distance away, and the quest should continue. It doesn't matter what ship you use, as long as it has the antimatter cells. I started a new game recently and it took me a few minutes to remember how this worked too.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Jump out of the ship in your spacesuit, fly some distance away, and the quest should continue. It doesn't matter what ship you use, as long as it has the antimatter cells. I started a new game recently and it took me a few minutes to remember how this worked too.

I guess a lot of the posts are outdated and it's since been fixed. Thanks, I'll give it a shot tonight!

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
do remember that you are not getting that ship back after you leave it at the designated spot. so bring a spare if you want to go anywhere anytime soon

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Thanks, I'll remember.

I'm really enjoying this game, more than I expected to. It definitely needs more improvements but I have no doubt that they're coming. It's the same thing for every X game before.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Did they ever make this playable on a 2gb card? I heard they were going to try that at some point and I would really love to play this game at some point. It's been just sitting in my library taunting me for a year.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Domattee posted:

Controlling a sector yourself, or at least making sure nobody else controls it (anymore), means you don't have to buy the space for your stations anymore, which is admittedly a very small benefit.

Some kind of taxation mechanic would probably make a lot of sense for this sort of thing. If you build in a sector your station either has to pay some sort of regular fee to the sector owner, meanwhile if you own the sector, other stations have to pay the fee to you. This would also give you an incentive to conquer already occupied sectors and leave the infrastructure intact.

I feel like this kind of thing could be modded in although I don't know the first thing about modding in this game (does it even support it yet? I haven't followed it for a while)

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

taxation is kinda how we thought it would work when they described it back in the day, like an actual incentive on your station placement... but just like research mechanically its a wet fart.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

3.0 beta is now live:

quote:

Version 3.00 Beta 1 (373142) - 2019-11-14

New Feature: Improved graphics engine to support new visual effects.
New Feature: Better sound effects.
New Feature: Virtual seminars and quicker skill progression for crew training.
New Feature: Configurable alert system.
New Feature: Individual and group crew transfer.
New Feature: Policing options for player-owned space.
New Feature: Ability to dock using a spacesuit directly.
New Feature: Improvements to menus including Map, Encyclopedia, Logical Station Overview and Logbook.
New Feature: Improved target display and mission guidance.
New Feature: More control over drones and turrets.
New Feature: Alternative steering methods including head tracking systems and X3 retro mode.
Added tutorial gamestarts (Flight School, Combat Scenario and Advanced Gameplay).
Added new paint themes for player ships.
Added weapon mods that increase damage done to surface elements.
Added skill gains for crews opening lockboxes, exploring ships discovering stations and gates, and returning from ventures.
Added order parameter to forbid attacking ships from boosting.
Added option to arm/disarm turrets in ship interaction menu.
Added option to call stored ships to dock via its console.
Added option to (de)activate multiple deployables at once.
Added option to control the turret modes on stations.
Added option to rename fleets (formerly known as wings).
Added order to collect player-owned deployables.
Added shortcut to scan ships in scan mode.
Added drone modes to specify when defence drones launch.
Added Attack Capital Ships and Attack Fighters weapon modes.
Added Remove All Assignments option when multiple ships are selected on map.
Added more variations to existing missions.
Added support for dragging positions of all orders which show position information on map.
Added Distress Drones sent from ships attacked in friendly territory but far away from any stations, to report attacks to the police.
Added option to change player organisation name independently from player name.
Added option to focus map on object currently viewed in Info or Behaviour menu.
Added 'station' keyword to map search.
Added confirmation when entering space suit.
Added cursor movement, selection and delete features to text edit boxes.
Added options to invert emulated mouse cursor axes and mouse steering controls.
Added NPC skills and post/role to target monitor.
Added information about pilot's current command to Behaviour menu.
Added new Info tabs in map and updated layout.
Added ship type to Info menu for ships.
Added subordinate list to Info menu for ships and stations.
Added surface element hull status to loadout Info tab.
Added information about which factions produce ship to Info menu and Encyclopedia.
Added known production module overview per sector to Encyclopedia.
Added list of known illegal wares to the Encyclopedia entries of factions with police forces.
Added new-entry marker to individual Encyclopedia and Timeline entries.
Added information on which inventory items are obtainable via crafting to Encyclopedia.
Added option to hide statistics section in Logical Station Overview.
Added consumption and production numbers to storage nodes in Logical Station Overview.
Added Alert and News categories to Logbook.
Added option to export Logbook as tab-separated text file (use "/exportlogbook example.txt" in chat window, exports to game sub-folder of documents folder).
Added support for showing pages in Logbook thereby removing limit of 1000 entries that can be shown.
Added input icons in Controls menu and several other menus.
Added 'forcehmd' command line parameter for head tracking systems.
Added sound device selection option.
Changed Bomber ship type designation to Gunboat.
Removed loadout options from ship configuration menu at resupply ships.
Removed possibility to give new orders to ships without a pilot.
Removed restrictions for reassigning crew (via comm) on a single ship in space.
Removed 500m restriction for (de)activating deployables.
Removed Squad category from Logbook (merged with Upkeep category).
Improved faction mine placement.
Improved trader deal selection and cargo space utilisation logic.
Improved fighter behaviour by preventing them using boost in combat if they have less than 50% shields.
Improved smuggler behaviour by adjusting wares traded in depending on what is illegal in their area of operation.
Improved Explore order behaviour and parameters.
Improved AI/autopilot collision avoidance when flying through asteroid fields.
Improved fleet coordination when moving through gates.
Improved several cases of shakiness when flying on autopilot.
Improved stability of drones undocking from capital ships.
Improved encounters by increasing distance from sector centre that system considers deep-space.
Improved character pathing on large dock areas to better take elevator distances into account.
Improved ammunition usage of stations when player is not present.
Improved transition from travel mode to docking by allowing ships to approach closer with travel mode active.
Improved automatic storage allocation when multiple different storage types (container, solid, liquid) are available.
Improved detection of gravidar contacts in remote sectors.
Improved information about licence requirements at blueprint trader and in Encyclopedia.
Improved visual consistency of building and recycling station modules.
Improved presentation of already-built modules in station Build menu by grouping by type.
Improved shopping list in ship Build menu.
Improved sorting of objects by name in Map.
Improved layout of Object List and Property Owned menus in Map to reduce text cut-off.
Improved visualisation of modes with charge time such as Travel Mode or SETA.
Improved Logbook timestamps to show how much time has passed since logbook entry.
Improved Save and Load menus.
Improved context menu header when using context menu while having other ships selected.
Improved subtitles by making them wider and preventing last lines from having only one word.
Improved support for gamepad text input overlay for Steam Big Picture mode.
Improved visibility of game hints.
Fixed NPC-owned ships attached to fleets with resupply ship not preferring their designated resupply ship.
Fixed laser towers not being able to aim correctly against player ship.
Fixed ships failing to disengage when attacking target whose ownership changes due to being abandoned.
Fixed fighters continuing to fire forward-mounted guns while firing forward-mounted missiles.
Fixed docked ships firing their forward-mounted weapons.
Fixed rare case resulting in ships docked at wrecked platforms.
Fixed ships docking at stations always moving towards station's icon before moving to dock with some station setups.
Fixed ships' captains saying Awaiting Orders after attacking if their default order potentially leads to attack.
Fixed ships with turrets not stopping firing if they change ownership and their targets are no longer hostile.
Fixed ships no longer attacking after losing their commander while in formation.
Fixed another case of station-based drones not being recovered.
Fixed ships in combat not consuming ammunition when player is not present.
Fixed ships being able to be set to protect stations or ships that are hostile to them.
Fixed pirates inadvertently causing limited wars between NPC factions.
Fixed sector patrols only patrolling small area within sector.
Fixed police ships responding to their own distress calls.
Fixed escape pods attempting to look for stations in a highway.
Fixed escape pod behaviour to be consistent whether player is present or not.
Fixed mining ships mining in hostile territory.
Fixed excessive delays when ordering a ship to deploy deployables at a location.
Fixed behaviour of transport drones collecting crates for capital ships.
Fixed drones fleeing when attacked.
Fixed orphaned defence drones getting orders to patrol sector.
Fixed inactive satellites still uncovering space.
Fixed lasertowers launched by fleeing ships not shooting at their attacker.
Fixed dropped inventory/cargo crates that cannot be picked up by ship that dropped them due to missing collisions.
Fixed some Argon and Antigone ships not having crews.
Fixed Ion weapons doing damage to hull when player is not present.
Fixed EMP missile effects on travel mode and boost.
Fixed being able to claim ships by using EMP and repairing signal leak.
Fixed being able to unlock trade subscriptions at enemy stations.
Fixed subordinates of ships with docking facilities sometimes not responding to external events for excessive periods after having docked.
Fixed subordinates potentially waiting a long time if their commander moves into highway or through gate to different sector while in formation.
Fixed fighter escorts flying in formation not doing damage to their commander's target in combat when player is not present.
Fixed ships remaining subordinate to sold ships.
Fixed crew of ship that is personally piloted by player not getting skill gains.
Fixed mission to retrieve item from target ship not having an objective to return it.
Fixed mismatch between upkeep mission to give station managers more money and corresponding notification in message ticker.
Fixed budgets of player-owned stations changing when funds are transferred to or from station build storage.
Fixed player-owned shipyards and equipment docks that make no money from trades not sending surplus funds to player account.
Fixed station budget being incorrectly set when taking money from stations using Account Management menu.
Fixed funds on build storage and station accounts not being transferred back to player when objects are destroyed or removed.
Fixed changing assignments in order queue menu not changing behaviour.
Fixed station rooms changing doors when revisiting.
Fixed player facing wall after teleporting.
Fixed engines on Condor and Stork not being protected by shield generators (new ships only, fix for existing ships will be added in an upcoming build).
Fixed incorrect turret position on Magnetar.
Fixed missing faction logo and missing lights in transporter room on Nodan.
Fixed mirrored ID text on Plutus.
Fixed landing gear not being visible on Nodan and Quasar.
Fixed spotlights on Quasar not turning off after landing.
Fixed shield and hull values in Selected Objects section of map being calculated incorrectly.
Fixed Location and Object not being displayed in the Order Queue menu for one partner of a ware exchange.
Fixed Manage Funds option not opening correct information tab.
Fixed weapons in weapon panel being displayed as active in both weapon sets, while weapon is only active in either primary or secondary set.
Fixed build progress display for station modules that are being rebuilt.
Fixed missing objective progress visualisation in mission briefing context menu.
Fixed conversation with manager working for player not displaying correct options.
Fixed missing shield info for S and M ships in Encyclopedia.
Fixed Encyclopedia entries for star systems not showing description texts.
Fixed wrong inventory wares being marked as read.
Fixed appearance of pending upgrade warning.
Fixed turret mode dropdown options not being in intended order.
Fixed order of ships in the undock menu.
Fixed jumping column selection in order queue.
Fixed player name reverting to default if aborting renaming process.
Fixed cases of NPC occupation name not matching crew gender (e.g. Crewman vs Crewwoman).
Fixed formatting error in construction-related Logbook messages.
Fixed Numpad key bindings not working for first-person movement on platforms.
Fixed mouse cursor remaining visible after saving game in first-person mode.
Fixed rare cases of target elements not being displayed while they should and vice-versa.
Fixed various issues with mission guidance targets.
Fixed non-working subtitles during intro scenes when starting a new game through Start menu.
Fixed physics not working correctly in certain rooms until player enters.
Fixed very rare situation where ships could rapidly flicker between two positions.
Fixed Boost Toggle game option not working at all.
Fixed Pause key not working during text input.
Fixed issues when looking straight up or down in first person.
Fixed external target view sometimes incorrectly returning to cockpit.
Fixed broken voice playback when closing Timeline menu.
Fixed short freeze when opening the station build menu in some cases.
Fixed very rare freeze condition.
Fixed causes of several performance issues in specific circumstances.
Fixed several causes of crashes.

Looks pretty drat big. There also appears to be some new content ship/weapon wise from reading the forums.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

3.0 beta is now live:

Looks pretty drat big. There also appears to be some new content ship/weapon wise from reading the forums.

Those are some nice changes. I noticed more than one thing listed that had either annoyed or confused me while playing recently.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So does this mean 3.0 official release + split vendetta are on the horizon?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Next year, they pushed it back to add more stuff and hopefully polish it some more. They did a stream today too you can watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp3Rzm5K5SA

E: The new flak turrets look pretty boss.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 15, 2019

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Ha, finally making the holo-vid training courses you can find actually do something.

Great list, though. I can't wait.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

New impact effects are nice:

Ooooh poo poo they redid the sounds for when your ship gets shot too, really bassy and nice sounding.

E: There's a new mass driver weapon with an 80km range...

E2: oh poo poo it has no gimbal, fixed forward only, and it zooms you in when you hold the button down and fires when you release, literally a space sniper rifle.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Nov 15, 2019

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

So I can finally have a keel mounted rail gun?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They're not enormously powerful, still only a normal size weapon, but they can hit stuff from 80km away and they do hurt a bit, very low ROF though.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

They're not enormously powerful, still only a normal size weapon, but they can hit stuff from 80km away and they do hurt a bit, very low ROF though.

That's still quite nice. It actually gives some obvious variety to the weapons. Makes me wonder how well the AI handles it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Curious too, also neat that the game can totally simulate combat over that range.

All three of the new weapons are a bit different, the muon charger is like a charge up burst plasma gun thing, and the flak turret has AoE effect I believe.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

quote:

Changed Bomber ship type designation to Gunboat.

I guess its better than pretending they are bombers.

I watched (much of) the stream. Some interesting stuff. They hired an actual marketing professional for the first time. 2.6 was originally going to be a waaaay smaller patch. And they said they took a multipronged approach to making 'sitting next to a capships hull shooting it to death over 20 minutes' unworkable. Which is good, since its real bad gameplay... but i just had to roll my eyes at it. C'mon, guys, people have been doing this in your games for literally 15 years or more.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 16, 2019

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I wish that the Split weren't delayed. At least they look good.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 16, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My memory of X3 is actually that M1/2 classes were ridiculously lethal to anything smaller than another M1/2, I certainly wouldn't go near one with a fighter cos you'd get creamed. The capships being easily destroyed is more of a Rebirth/X4 thing because they changed how turrets worked and limited their coverage more.

From pootling about in an oddy post-patch they do seem a lot more resiliant to small craft, the shields recharge between hits a lot better, and generally weapon balance seems in a better place.

But I do still wish small craft were a bit more lethal to each other if you can line up a good burst, a lot of them still feel very undergunned and target prediction is still a little poor. Maybe if we had more non-gimballed guns that did a lot of damage that'd be nice. I hope they expand the weapon lineup with more interesting guns like the railgun and muon gun.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
lol

quote:

Make sure that your savegames are backed up!
To start using the Beta version, right-click X4: Foundations in the Steam client
Select Properties and go to the Betas tab
Enter the password IBackedUpMySaves
Select public_beta from the dropdown list.
To return to using the non-Beta version, select NONE from the same dropdown list.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

This loving rules :allears:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

My memory of X3 is actually that M1/2 classes were ridiculously lethal to anything smaller than another M1/2, I certainly wouldn't go near one with a fighter cos you'd get creamed. The capships being easily destroyed is more of a Rebirth/X4 thing because they changed how turrets worked and limited their coverage more.

From pootling about in an oddy post-patch they do seem a lot more resiliant to small craft, the shields recharge between hits a lot better, and generally weapon balance seems in a better place.

But I do still wish small craft were a bit more lethal to each other if you can line up a good burst, a lot of them still feel very undergunned and target prediction is still a little poor. Maybe if we had more non-gimballed guns that did a lot of damage that'd be nice. I hope they expand the weapon lineup with more interesting guns like the railgun and muon gun.

Oh my recollection is that anything with a smaller number will wreck anything of a larger number, (apart from M1>M2) which was annoying because there's space in this sort of game for bigger to be better, but an M5 trying to engage an M3 will spend forever just trying to break shield regen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Alchenar posted:

Oh my recollection is that anything with a smaller number will wreck anything of a larger number, (apart from M1>M2) which was annoying because there's space in this sort of game for bigger to be better, but an M5 trying to engage an M3 will spend forever just trying to break shield regen.

I think the issue in the pre-Rebirth games is that every ship was just one huge monolithic entity, so as far as the game engine is concerned an M1 is just an M5 with much higher numbers (except for speed). The change in cap ships to have a bunch of slow tracking, individually destroyable turrets does a much better job of making them fundamentally different things because now they actually have tradeoffs involved. An M1 will still annihilate an M5 pretty easily but an M5 can survive much longer than it used to because it can fly in and take advantage of blindspots, and actually potentially deal some meaningful damage by taking out a few guns or shield generators before they get nailed by a stray shot and wiped out. It won't win the fight, but it can meaningfully contribute now.