Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

franco
Jan 3, 2003
However much this thread in-fights at times, I'm sure we can all unite in this being the worst thing to come out of Brexit right now https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-50205950

Also, I stumbled upon a clip that I'm amazed didn't do the rounds at the height of Yewtree and the like. John Peel impersonating Jimmy Savile on The Goodies in 1973. It's like a Russian Doll of noncery/open secrets :psyduck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM3byeb2ECI&t=9s (just the first bit)

e: Dammit I'm mainly just a lurker and I get taxed?

288 is an untouchable number, you can't touch it.

franco fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Oct 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
Always remember that the skeletons are on our side, comrades.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

This is Bad. For Jeremy Corbyn.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Owen Jones has written an article about the self-defeating disaster that is the People's Vote campaign:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/oct/28/peoples-vote-labour-brexit-second-referendum

The comments below the line are beautifully salty, without being able to address any of the points he actually makes.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

franco posted:

However much this thread in-fights at times, I'm sure we can all unite in this being the worst thing to come out of Brexit right now https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-50205950

Also, I stumbled upon a clip that I'm amazed didn't do the rounds at the height of Yewtree and the like. John Peel impersonating Jimmy Savile on The Goodies in 1973. It's like a Russian Doll of noncery/open secrets :psyduck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM3byeb2ECI&t=9s (just the first bit)

e: Dammit I'm mainly just a lurker and I get taxed?

288 is an untouchable number, you can't touch it.

:eyepop: @ that cat's huge hairy balls

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Pistol_Pete posted:

Owen Jones has written an article about the self-defeating disaster that is the People's Vote campaign:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/oct/28/peoples-vote-labour-brexit-second-referendum

The comments below the line are beautifully salty, without being able to address any of the points he actually makes.

Guardian Pick: "Jeremy Corbyn went on holiday during the referendum campaign"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Look I'm sure that person actually believes that and we're not going to comment on whether it's true, we are reporting accurately what the commenter believes.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Tarnop posted:

Guardian Pick: "Jeremy Corbyn went on holiday during the referendum campaign"
Thought you were joking, but no, both the Guardian Picks are aggressively anti-Corbyn, maybe for "balance"

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/oct/28/grenfell-inquiry-finds-fire-brigade-gravely-ill-prepared-for-blaze

I'm aware this is only meant to be about the Fire Brigade but lmao gently caress off

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

CGI Stardust posted:

Thought you were joking, but no, both the Guardian Picks are aggressively anti-Corbyn, maybe for "balance"

"Opinion remains split over Corbyn. In half of our Picks, the readers hate him; in the other half, they REALLY hate him."

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
I'd genuinely rather read YouTube comments than guardian comments. At least on balance most of those are positive rather than the most aggravatingly stupid being carefully curated to the top.

I think most of the moderate posters long got ran off the guardian website, like dyed in the wool FBPEs wouldn't post on Sun articles. But at least on the Sun or Mail comments aren't being signal boosted as a BEST PICK to enhance an editorial line that refuses to actually rebut fake news like the holiday claim.

E: Speaking of editorial lines, just look at the state of this:

This is actually better than it was last night, when it was specifically 'Momentum stitch ups aren't working'. The article itself it alright if a bit wet, but it explicitly describes a properly functioning democratic selection process where people are allowed to *gasp* actually vote for the candidate they prefer. The response to which is the guardian headline screaming 'Jeremy Corbad FAILING at even properly running roughshod over the wailing masses'.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Oct 29, 2019

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

In Graun world, giving Owen Jones column inches is balance, because rabid liberalism is just common sense and self-evidently the default position. It's not the comments on that page that are the outlier.

Never noticed the "Guardian picks" before though, I thought it was the done thing to at least pretend vox pops haven't been carefully curated to manufacture consensus.

Also congrats Guava, my predicted text doesn't want me to use the word "Guardian" when your name is an option. Take this as you will

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Borrovan posted:

In Graun world, giving Owen Jones column inches is balance, because rabid liberalism is just common sense and self-evidently the default position. It's not the comments on that page that are the outlier.

Never noticed the "Guardian picks" before though, I thought it was the done thing to at least pretend vox pops haven't been carefully curated to manufacture consensus.
Good point; it means they don't suffer the indignity of having to writing an editorial responding to one of their own articles

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Jedit posted:

OK, then - if neoliberal economics will "gently caress like bunnies" to make money, why is there a housing shortage that will take 200,000 new builds a year to fill?

In short, because ‘loving like pandas’ makes more money.

Truly unregulated capitalism usually tops out at delivering goods to like 80 or 90% of the population; see British India for the last time that was tried for essentials like food. Outside perfectly frictionless spherical competition, the profit-maximizing price will be one some people cannot pay.

Assuming you consider that a problem, there are about a billion possible solutions, from a Singapore-style National Housing Service to doing something wonkish with a perfectly timed change in stamp duty.

Neoliberal economics is all about it being really cool and clever to pick the solution that requires the minimal possible effort. Post-neoliberal economics is recognizing that people and institutions are not able to be consistently that clever; sometime a less subtle approach is needed.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

seizure later posted:

didn't the vote require you to have photo ID with you, the exact thing Labour says is a terrible idea because it disenfranchises lots of people?

If you can afford to pay to be a member of a political party then you're more likely to have photo id I'm guessing. General election voting is different - you want even the terminally destitute to be able to vote.

My CLP is voting on whether to trigger reselection soon (on David Lammy) and they said i need my membership card and photo id.

It does seem rather unlikely that someone would be able to nick a membership card and turn up to a meeting without bumping into the person you're impersonating, though.

Like "voter fraud" it must surely be near non- existent?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Beefeater1980 posted:

The big question about housing is, if nobody gets to be a landlord and make money off renting privately (which would probably be a good thing), who gets to live in a smart detached house and who gets to live in Apt. 42 Suicide Towers? Do you have the government/ council become the monopoly landlord?

Secondary questions are things like who pays for maintenance, who takes care of it if a neighbour lets rats in or doesn’t maintain a party wall, who can decide they don’t like the layout of the front room or they want to drill holes into a wall to put a picture up, etc. The current system makes it clear where responsibility lies for each item, some by statue and some based on conventions that are then written into tenancy agreements.

The current system makes it clear who holds responsibility for what when the state owns the housing, too, though? The idea is literally everybody lives in a council house. There's already stuff in place that covers all of this.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Pochoclo posted:

No I mean the other way around, did they need to translate it into Welsh? Like does anyone at all in Wales go and look at a menu and go "me...nu???? oh, it's a bwydlen, gotcha thanks!"

gently caress off

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Like "voter fraud" it must surely be near non- existent?
Another difference between a GE & private members' votes is that any member of the public has a right to vote in a GE. We lefties love our meetings & voting for stuff, & it's not uncommon for problems to arise when someone just sort of starts turning up for meetings & voting & it subsequently becomes apparent that they weren't actually a member or w/e, I've seen it a few times.

The usual solution is just asking people politely not to vote if they're not a member in good standing, but I can see that creating problems in front line politics.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

feedmegin posted:

The current system makes it clear who holds responsibility for what when the state owns the housing, too, though? The idea is literally everybody lives in a council house. There's already stuff in place that covers all of this.

I'd be happy enough with what we had before the Thatcher sell-off: roughly 60% of the population owns their home and the other 40% live in council houses with lifetime tenancies that they can usually pass on to their kids. The provision of mass council housing acts as a vital safety valve to keep overall property prices nice and low; if you can't or don't want to own you just stick your name on the council housing list and get given a place shortly afterwards and private rentals are shrunk down to a few special cases like student accomodation or short-term lets.

I mean that alone would be a massive improvement on the current shitshow.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It would, but I think we really should attempt to destroy housing as a commodity, because otherwise they're just gonna do the thatcher sell off again.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

feedmegin posted:

That’s true, I guess it’s more that the rules designed for a system where some part of the population lives in a council house temporarily (at least in theory) might need some tweaking to be right for a situation where everyone does permanently.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

OwlFancier posted:

It would, but I think we really should attempt to destroy housing as a commodity, because otherwise they're just gonna do the thatcher sell off again.

100% tax on capital gains from selling a home would go a long way. In fact, even a 20 or 30% surtax would probably do the job because all you need to do is to make it unprofitable to borrow money to buy a second house.

It’s not just housing though, it’s land in general. Also office space. If you want to see somewhere that’s even more crazily biased in favour of landlords than the UK, Exhibit A is Hong Kong, where businesses have to turn over management accounts to their landlords and commercial and residential leases are all short-term. The effect of this is that landlords extract literally all surplus economic value from the system instead of just a part. It’s insane.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://distincttoday.net/2019/10/27/mi5-warns-universities-their-research-could-be-at-risk-from-beijing-spies-hidden-among-students/

Carborundum
Feb 21, 2013

Are you posting this because you agree with it or because it's totally ridiculous? Newton's second law isn't a state secret.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

We all know this government's views on certain kinds of maths.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

id kill to get more russian grad students the ones out of moscow esp can be really brilliant

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

bump_fn posted:

id kill to get more russian grad students the ones out of moscow esp can be really brilliant

GGG hired a physics grad from Moscow Tech to do technical programming on their game Path of Exile, and he's been absolute genius who's done poo poo way above what their budget/size should have allowed for.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Where's the best place to buy PC's or components these days?
Used to use Novatech but they seem out of stock of half the stuff these days.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol at all the replies not understanding how the percentages work so surely remain is most toxic

https://twitter.com/janinegibson/status/1188502752865013761?s=19

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Turns out the recent break-out of Fubpeeism isn't down to brainworms or even brainspiders, but brainticks

Brain illness spread by ticks has reached UK

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Turns out the recent break-out of Fubpeeism isn't down to brainworms or even brainspiders, but brainticks

Brain illness spread by ticks has reached UK

Brainbugs

E: actually ticks are arachnids, so still brainspiders

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

quote:

Some UK universities had twice a many students from China as they did from northern Ireland (statistics are pictured above)
The loving state secret of this sentence.

quote:

UK Spy agencies have even warned campuses to segregate IT network access between foreign partners.
So will this be in the form of separate network ports with white and coloured labels?

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Tesseraction posted:

https://twitter.com/JenniferMerode/status/1188772918777597952

jesus christ the lib dems did something good????? stopped clocks...

It's wonderful that the SNP and Lib Dems rescued us from the mess created by that awful indecisive coward Corbyn.

(Yes I'm really far behind in the thread. I'm still going to subject you all to my anti-Corbyn hot takes.)

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Guavanaut posted:

So will this be in the form of separate network ports with white and coloured labels?

They'll have a separate WiFi named "Yellow Peril".

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

OzyMandrill posted:

I've always gone to Scan or Novatech, usually splitting between the two when buying for a build. Scan are pretty good ime.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Failed Imagineer posted:

Brainbugs

E: actually ticks are arachnids, so still brainspiders

They're only brainspiders if they have brainspinnerets, for weaving webs in your skull.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Kassad posted:

They'll have a separate WiFi named "Yellow Peril".

And it tries to install a virus called opium.exe for old time's sake

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

OzyMandrill posted:

Ebuyer or Scan usually, sometimes Aria. You can also use https://uk.pcpartpicker.com and they'll do a price comparison on parts for you like this https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/RGyV3C/msi-geforce-gtx-1660-ti-6-gb-ventus-xs-video-card-gtx-1660-ti-ventus-xs-6g-oc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Pounding my clipboard
Election elecTION ELECTION

https://twitter.com/adambienkov/status/1189132079163949058?s=21