Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

The Lone Badger posted:

Was the picture of the dog actually declassified, or did Trump just tweet that it was without actually doing it?

You're not asking the right question. The right question is whether it was declassified before he tweeted it. Trump, as president*, is the ultimate derivative declassifier in the country. He can legally tweet literally any national secret he wants or declassify anything he wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Xander77 posted:

"That fucker who isn't doing enough to fight my wars for me" is the actual historical definition of "ally". Seriously, read a bit into the relationship between the allies during WII, much less more complex wars.

:chloe: Did you really mean to imply trans folks are just ungrateful for all the hard work “allies” are putting in fighting “their” war for them? Because that’s... something.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Who even was that guy? Bin Laden was turned into supervillain number one by a decade of disciplined media machine messaging. Bush worked hard to make him famous. I feel like nobody tried blowing this guy up in any sense other than the literal one.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Who even was that guy? Bin Laden was turned into supervillain number one by a decade of disciplined media machine messaging. Bush worked hard to make him famous. I feel like nobody tried blowing this guy up in any sense other than the literal one.

Uh, head of ISIS is a big deal. Just they murdered and raped mostly people in the Middle East, so Americans only care about the executions of westerners, which are only a small portion of their horrific crimes.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I believe Trump doesn't know who this guy is.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1189145407361814528?s=20

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Baghdadi was the leader and single biggest organizational and ideological force behind daesh. He was closer to how the media portrayed Bin Laden at the height of his power than OBL ever was. He was a legitimately horrible person and an elusive target and it's pretty much unambiguously a good thing that he is (apparently?) dead.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
I feel like encouraging people to once again read the transcript is a bad idea for their strategy.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Hard to imagine why so many senators are worried when trump is putting up such a clear, coherent defense

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

skylined! posted:

I feel like encouraging people to once again read the transcript is a bad idea for their strategy.

Trump believes his own lies and thinks it actually exonerates him.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

We should be trusting the idiot that can't even spell Ukraine? I just.. this is beyond parody for me here

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Elviscat posted:

Holy poo poo, trashing a no poo poo war hero is not a good look for the right, whose base happens to care a lot about war heroes, this is going to backfire badly.

Also: asking "how do I say 'gently caress off crazy man' to this Rudy character in English?" Is their "evidence" that he's a double agent.

*John Kerry heard laughing heartily from a distance*

also Bob Mueller was a legit war hero and he was excommunicated pretty quickly. They don't loving care about anyone who served if they go against the party line.

skylined! fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Oct 29, 2019

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
For anyone wondering what's going on in the heads of GOP senators

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...6a96_story.html

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Ok but what did the actual current president do?

Was it say that we shouldn’t congratulate the president?

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Just finished Maddow’s Bag Man podcast, gee that sure is a story about three young prosecutors...

I assume everyone has listened to it already and if not it should be required reading for the thread

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

ewiley posted:

We should be trusting the idiot that can't even spell Ukraine? I just.. this is beyond parody for me here

What really does it for me is his insistance that if he hasn't heard the guys name that it must be false

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ImpAtom posted:

Knowing Trump it wasn't declassified and it wasn't actually the right dog and the dog he tweeted is actually a Nazi.

They'll declassify the name:

Abu Bark al-Baghdadi

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

osker posted:

What really does it for me is his insistance that if he hasn't heard the guys name that it must be false

Yeah it's a dumb misdirection tactic. Unimportant people and bureaucrats can't have anything substantive to say because they're nobodies, not even fit to remember in his very good brain. No one should listen to unimportant people, especially when they contradict the very important president.

e: also I think it's amazingly dumb to admit there are dozens of people in this administration who are key members of the national security counsel--the latest guy is literally the NSC's point man on Ukraine--and Trump is freely admitting he doesn't know who they are.

If his defense is that everything is going perfectly with Ukraine and he's doing everything in the best interest of the country and national security *why doesn't he know the name of the guy who is the most senior security official involved in Ukraine*?

ewiley fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Oct 29, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Baghdadi was the leader and single biggest organizational and ideological force behind daesh. He was closer to how the media portrayed Bin Laden at the height of his power than OBL ever was. He was a legitimately horrible person and an elusive target and it's pretty much unambiguously a good thing that he is (apparently?) dead.

And yet I don't care and never will

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

osker posted:

It's one of his standard lines when he wants to dismiss criticism because he thinks that anybody who meets him can't help but be impressed by his greatness.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Ice Phisherman posted:

I will say that it hasn't always been this way, but in the opposite direction from what most people think. In history, being a soldier was considered one of the lowest professions one could be in in terms of social standing. Being in the national army for example in the United States pre-world war one was primarily a small army made up of people who got drunk a lot and would occasionally go awol to go mine gold when they weren't genociding native Americans. If you go back further, you find the training to consist of horrific physical abuse because that's what it took to get people to stand in line and fire at one another with muskets. They had to fear their NCO's more than the musket fire.

Haha, you mean like go back to 2008?

I used to relish the chance to do reckless poo poo because either I'd survive and my NCOs would praise me and leave me out of their poo poo for a few days, or I'd get hit and it would be over. Maybe other people were "heroes", as far as I know everyone I fought with was just too broken to care about the consequences.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Ice Phisherman posted:

poo poo dude. I'm sorry. :(

I will say that it hasn't always been this way, but in the opposite direction from what most people think. In history, being a soldier was considered one of the lowest professions one could be in in terms of social standing. Being in the national army for example in the United States pre-world war one was primarily a small army made up of people who got drunk a lot and would occasionally go awol to go mine gold when they weren't genociding native Americans. If you go back further, you find the training to consist of horrific physical abuse because that's what it took to get people to stand in line and fire at one another with muskets. They had to fear their NCO's more than the musket fire.

This is just not true. Human beings fear missile fire orders of magnitude less than they fear melee combat.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Considering that murdering Bin Laden lead directly to a global Polio resurgence and murders of healthcare workers (mostly women), I’m going to reserve judgement on the US’ latest “unambiguously good” extrajudicial killing.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Jesus

https://mobile.twitter.com/MattGertz/status/1189154476193660930

https://mobile.twitter.com/atrupar/status/1189156051674943489

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 29, 2019

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

In a sane world a bizarre ad-hominem would not be enough to discount a guy's testimony, even if the guy was a known criminal and spy there would potentially be value in his word subject to corroborating evidence

But we're in the universe where trump is innocent until proven guilty by an absolutely impossible standard, and anyone who criticizes him is guilty until proven innocent by an absolutely impossible standard

This country is made up of people who don't agree on a basic common plane of reality

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1189154764359196672. https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1189156179173433344

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

“The Do Nothing Democrats are working hard”

:psyduck:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

God his "read the transcript, it totally exonerates me and shows I wasn't mean at all!" angle is wild

Trying to picture Nixon releasing his tapes and going on the news to demand they be played over and over so everyone understands he was being totally polite when directing the burglary

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Gentle reminder that he never actually released the transcript; what we got was a summary of the actual transcript that was Sanitized For Our Protection and still made him sound like a loving mobster extorting Ukraine to get them to investigate Biden.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I love how he continually brings up the call summary, lies and calls it a transcript, then pretends it wasn't as damning as all hell.

So loving bizarre.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Maybe this is too optimistic, but I feel like the Trump/Fox machine has created a situation for themselves where, by constantly praising everything he does no matter how obviously bad/stupid it is, when something actually good happens that he can sort of take credit for*, it doesn't really make a dent. It's kind of an inverse Boy Who Cried Wolf effect. People who are used to forcing themselves to believe your lies are too numb to know what actual vindication feels like. Meanwhile, the administration's cries of "how can you not give us credit, we actually accomplished something!" have a hilarious subtext of "we all know we're just BSing you the other 99% of the time."

* I know he doesn't really deserve credit for the Baghdadi thing, but pretty much any president would accept credit for it, albeit less obnoxiously.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Oct 29, 2019

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Gentle reminder that he never actually released the transcript; what we got was a summary of the actual transcript that was Sanitized For Our Protection and still made him sound like a loving mobster extorting Ukraine to get them to investigate Biden.

And even better, it says that on the summary in bold letters

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Data Graham posted:

God his "read the transcript, it totally exonerates me and shows I wasn't mean at all!" angle is wild

Trying to picture Nixon releasing his tapes and going on the news to demand they be played over and over so everyone understands he was being totally polite when directing the burglary

His supporters won’t read the transcript, they’ll just start believing it exonerates him.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

Hoo boy the Fox spin machine is in full swing

https://twitter.com/JoyceWhiteVance/status/1189137238657032194?s=20

Seriously an NSC staffer, and active duty LTC is a double agent? You're loving insane Fox. To get to that level of security clearance, you have an entire section of 'foreign influence' and 'foreign preference' to prove you don't even like other countries and you wouldn't be subject to foreign government pressure because of financial or family ties.

Too bad there's no similar security clearance requirement for the president 🤔

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

ewiley posted:

Seriously an NSC staffer, and active duty LTC is a double agent? You're loving insane Fox. To get to that level of security clearance, you have an entire section of 'foreign influence' and 'foreign preference' to prove you don't even like other countries and you wouldn't be subject to foreign government pressure because of financial or family ties.

TBF they gave clearances to Chelsea Manning and Edward Snowden so maybe the IC sucks at its job.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://mobile.twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1189003099387711488

https://mobile.twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1189003100197212160

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

I think the US government and media consciously tried not to hype him up into a supervillain like they did Bin Laden, because it provides valuable propaganda for the opposing side. Of course that means most people’s reaction is “Who?” when he was killed.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

That one was legal you old bitch.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

ewiley posted:

A friend of mine got that clearance and I was interviewed as a reference, they asked a RIDICULOUS amount of questions about him doing model UN in high school and what countries he role played as. That's how deep they dive

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

For anyone wondering what's going on in the heads of GOP senators

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...6a96_story.html

If only there was something, anything, those poor senators could do instead of having to make up ways to somehow defend the president’s actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/RepLeeZeldin/status/1188913462782631936

Cry about it more. Did the minority party even have ANY of these "powers" in previous inquiries? I know they already have them, but I think they have to be put to a vote which the baby knows he will lose because they are in the minority. It seems he doesn't want to have to vote to drag their fascist bootlicking into the inquiry.

Also LOL about the President's staff being in on depositions.