Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

coffeetable posted:

because the user experience of a consumer laptop is designed for normal people who don't wanna janitor a naked pcb

But they were asking for parts, which is a sign they’ve got some competency doing the janitor bit, and outside of a expensive laptop build or second hand bargain, you’re trading a lot of expandability for mobility concerns that weren’t mentioned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
You know, a punt at the 16 vote is a good idea - worse case it fails, but Labour get to go "look, we're trying to fulfill our promises" mid case it succeeds, bojo pulls the vote and they get to hit him for repressing democracy, best case it passes and a bunch of people get enfranchised.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Total Meatlove posted:

But they were asking for parts, which is a sign they’ve got some competency doing the janitor bit, and outside of a expensive laptop build or second hand bargain, you’re trading a lot of expandability for mobility concerns that weren’t mentioned?

Building a PC is still easier than dealing with a pi imo.

Also a pi isnt an alternative to a laptop.

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Oct 29, 2019

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

knox_harrington posted:

Wow was it really this high? What a fuckup to just sell it off.

Something that's been on my mind, but I don't have stats to back up, is that I recall that the UK property bubble actually accounts for a decent amount of UK GDP. Clearly it wouldn't be "real" GDP but I could see that contributing to politicians not wanting to address the issue. Is this true or bollocks?

Where I live has quite strong rent controls where if a landlord wants to raise rents they have to go to a tribunal and argue the case. Rents are high it has to be said, but properly administered it seems to protect renters quite well. Particularly it means old people who don't own their home keep paying their rent at 1970s prices so offers some protection there.

The final thing I was going to moan about is the absolutely terrible standard of construction in the UK. Is it just that building codes aren't enforced? The city I live in has I think about double the population density of London and everyone lives in low rise blocks. Having endured terrible new build and converted homes in the UK I was dreading constantly trying to tune out neighbour noise but in reality I never hear more than the faintest noise.

I've really enjoyed housingchat btw. Just seems so obvious that it's sucking money out of the economy and acting solely as an investment vehicle for old people.

The UK has Very little in the way of building codes for residential properties - they all got abolished by Thatcher (Parker Morris standards). I think there's some rules about bathroom plugs and doors between food prep and making GBS threads places but that's about it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gonna chill in my 76% Labour seat and berate all my loved ones who've spent the last twenty loving years voting for John Baron.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Bold move to whine about Labour's assault on property rights when Emma Dent-Coad literally campaigned in 2017 on renter safety in places like Grenfell.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm going to have this thrown in my face in December but I genuinely wonder of pseudo Churchill will end up 1945ing himself - enter election campaign with 83% approval rating and the entire media calling your opponent a Soviet oval office, still get blown the gently caress out.

Caveat that back then Labour had an 18 percentage point lead in the polls, which, :sigh:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

coffeetable posted:

because the user experience of a consumer laptop is designed for normal people who don't wanna janitor a naked pcb

You can very easily buy a case for a pi And unless you want to add extra integrated hardware, setting it up is a matter of inserting an SD card and plugging the power in.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Necrothatcher posted:

Hopefully they won't be framing anything in the near future.

If Labour gets in, I hope they enact, Leveson 3.0 - which is just a row of very sharp guillotines.

Tesseraction posted:

Bold move to whine about Labour's assault on property rights when Emma Dent-Coad literally campaigned in 2017 on renter safety in places like Grenfell.

Also, insanely optimistic.
2017:

LAB 16,333
CON 16,313
LIB 4,724

Like, for the most part in seats with a difference of 5000 between the party that came first and second, Libs are generally way behind in third.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Oct 29, 2019

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Tesseraction posted:

As I recall this is merely stage 1 of the Grenfell inquiry - it stated that the firefighters were not adequately prepared, which does not necessarily mean they chose to be. Graun said that a second stage of the inquiry will look into the events leading up to the fire, implying this first stage was looking only at events after.

all people are going to take away from this (and all many of them will want to take away) is the bit where the inquiry say they "have no doubt more people would be alive if the fire brigade had evacuated"

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Shame I'm not going to be in the country for this one...

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

blunt posted:

You don't think labour supporters collectively saying "er wtf?" over the last couple of days might have had something to do with this clear U-turn?

Corbyn: We'll back a general election once no deal is secured against.
*Labour backs GE once no deal is secured against*
Idiots: "WOAH WOW WHAT A U TURN"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

gh0stpinballa posted:

all people are going to take away from this (and all many of them will want to take away) is the bit where the inquiry say they "have no doubt more people would be alive if the fire brigade had evacuated"

Absolutely. It does say however that the fire brigade did not know at the time that the cladding was unsafe, and that the fire was therefore unmanageable. They were working on bad assumptions, which is not strictly their fault. Hardly comforting to the fire fighters getting poo poo on.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Someone in my first wow guild worked for ocuk and gave me a free graphics card. That's my ocuk story

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Nothingtoseehere posted:

The UK has Very little in the way of building codes for residential properties - they all got abolished by Thatcher (Parker Morris standards). I think there's some rules about bathroom plugs and doors between food prep and making GBS threads places but that's about it.

Electric/gas regs are still pretty strict and there's still clear rules about foundations. Beyond that though yeah you can get some loving rickety poo poo innards in homes these days, not to mention the Nth bedroom in an N bedroom property is rarely big enough for a small rodent let alone as a "bedroom".

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

I'm in a Lib Dem constituency, and my MP's probably going to lose his seat

If I were still in Stirling, I'd vote against the Tory toady there too, but he's probably going to lose his seat too

(spoilers: it's going to be 57/59 SNP seats in Scotland)

e:

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Shame I'm not going to be in the country for this one...

proxy/postal vote? I'm applying for a proxy vote myself since I'm probably not coming back to Scotland until a couple of days before Christmas, probably

Venomous fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Oct 29, 2019

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Venomous posted:

If I were still in Stirling, I'd vote against the Tory toady there too, but he's probably going to lose his seat too

If you're in Swinsons seat, which is the main nearby Lib Dem, they're not running their strongest candidate he's running in Ochil and South Perthshire

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Venomous posted:

e:

proxy/postal vote? I'm applying for a proxy vote myself since I'm probably not coming back to Scotland until a couple of days before Christmas, probably

Yea, I've got a proxy vote sorted for home, but it's marginal so its a shame I can't be out canvassing myself.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Bundy posted:

Corbyn: We'll back a general election once no deal is secured against.
*Labour backs GE once no deal is secured against*
Idiots: "WOAH WOW WHAT A U TURN"

That's needlessly reductive. I'm talking about things like this:

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1188770096828813312?s=19

When the position on Sunday/Yesterday was no election [not just until no deal was off the table, at one point yesterday shadow cabinet members were on TV saying no election until the spring], the party was getting called out by the friendly members of the media that they normally rely on to get their messages out. That's a pretty clear indication that they hosed up.

I'm glad they rectified it.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

*sound of Cor Boy drumming intensifies*

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Heidi Allen is out:

https://twitter.com/DawnHFoster/status/1189158973628452865?s=20

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

Gonna chill in my 76% Labour seat and berate all my loved ones who've spent the last twenty loving years voting for John Baron.

Go to a nearby constituency that doesn't vote labour and campaign there

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Heidi hides

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
https://twitter.com/Mr_Considerate/status/1189157603718381568
That's a former CUKTIG (now lib) jumping before being pushed.

*Sad trombone noise*

[e]: Beaten.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ruh roh https://twitter.com/BarrySheerman/status/1189146672640811008

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Seriously.

https://twitter.com/VictoriaLIVE/status/1189135511668936704?s=20

What. The. loving. gently caress.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

It's 2015 all over again

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Venomous posted:

Is it? I think it will be a few less than that although they will certainly make gains. Orkney and Shetland and Edinburgh South are a definite LD and Labour hold respectively for me. Think Ed West will be LD (first time incumbency, previously LD, terrible SNP candidates previously), North East Fife will be baw hair tight again. There will be other examples where I'm less familiar with the constituencies as well.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Who? Why?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Zalakwe posted:

Is it? I think it will be a few less than that although they will certainly make gains. Orkney and Shetland and Edinburgh South are a definite LD and Labour hold respectively for me. Think Ed West will be LD (first time incumbency, previously LD, terrible SNP candidates previously), North East Fife will be baw hair tight again. There will be other examples where I'm less familiar with the constituencies as well.

The borders will still have conservative hold outs too because its full of rich old people

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Venomous posted:

it is a drat shame i don't gamble because i'd love to take your money on this one.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

gently caress 'em. If they don't want to bring down this government as soon as possible then why are they even in the Labour Party? Besides, it's a fait aclompi (I definitely spelt that wrong) with Libs and Nats meaning this poo poo issues passing so you gotta get on board or look like schmucks.

Still, loving rad idea to get the Labour disunity poo poo back out there right before the campaign, geniuses. Hard not to look at it as sabotaging the campaign and anyone who does that should be punted.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wells_(UK_Parliament_constituency)#Elections_in_the_2010s

help what do i do

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

I mean, I'm being optimistic tbh

Really I just want Alex Cole-Hamilton to lose his seat because he's my MP and he's a Tory wank

I don't even like the SNP anymore, or any political party for that matter

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Its Tom Watson and suddenly the election is already won.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

blunt posted:

That's needlessly reductive. I'm talking about things like this:

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1188770096828813312?s=19

When the position on Sunday/Yesterday was no election [not just until no deal was off the table, at one point yesterday shadow cabinet members were on TV saying no election until the spring], the party was getting called out by the friendly members of the media that they normally rely on to get their messages out. That's a pretty clear indication that they hosed up.

I'm glad they rectified it.

Labour's position has been that they'll back a GE once no deal was confirmed to be off the table. This wasn't the case on Monday so Labour said they weren't backing a GE.

The rest is the usual hacks throwing hatchets or useful idiots not holding their nerve.

It wasn't "needlessly" reductive, it was very needful. It's called cutting through the bullshit and when you do that it's clear Labour have done what they said they'd do all along.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

gently caress 'em. If they don't want to bring down this government as soon as possible then why are they even in the Labour Party? Besides, it's a fait aclompi (I definitely spelt that wrong) with Libs and Nats meaning this poo poo issues passing so you gotta get on board or look like schmucks.

Still, loving rad idea to get the Labour disunity poo poo back out there right before the campaign, geniuses. Hard not to look at it as sabotaging the campaign and anyone who does that should be punted.

Hard not to look at it like that because it's 100% exactly that

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Vote for who you want in government?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

knox_harrington posted:

Wow was it really this high? What a fuckup to just sell it off.

Doing some research (looking on Wikipedia) tells me that the actual peak of council housing was 32% of all uk housing, in 1980, so about a third of all housing in the country. These days, only 18% is some sort of social housing. Back when a third of housing was council owned, private rented properties barely existed, as why would anyone choose to rent privately when they could get a cheaper council property with a lifetime tenancy instead.

These days of course, younger and poorer people have much more choice. They can choose to pay an extortionate rent, to live crammed into a hmo with 6 other people, to live at home with their parents into their 40's, or just lie down and die sleep on the pavement!

All much more exciting than the dull, affordable, lifetime tenancies you could secure under the old system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I generally use Ebuyer for PC parts, never had a problem over the last 17 or so years using them.

Honestly though these days I suggest you buy a refurbished Thinkpad for your computer needs and a PS4 Pro for your gaming needs. Spend the hundreds of £££ you have saved on doner kebabs, ice cream and Bourbon whisky.