Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Someone should remind the Titans that thinking with your Dick never ends well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

itry posted:

Yeah, it would have been better actually if he did die from the grenade Dick swatted away. That would kinda justify that line.

Yeah, I thought that was exactly what was going to happen, and there's even a moment where Dick looks at the grenade and was about to dive on it to protect Jericho (before it ends up just being a harmless loud-bang-fuzzy-head-type of grenade.) The setup for the stab was really contrived -- I had to watch it again to realize Deathstroke throws Dick to the ground and then turns around for no reason, so that he can take his sword out and spin back around for the kill without seeing that his son is now in the way. The first time I watched it, I thought Deathstroke heard Jericho sneaking up behind him and just spun around to stab him on instinct, thinking it was another Titan trying to get the drop on him.

It's sooorta partially Robin's fault if you squint at it, but "I killed his son" is stretching it way too far. It's the sort of thing that would cause bad blood for the Titans, though -- they brought this innocent kid into their orbit and risked his life mainly to get back at his father, and they knew how dangerous Deathstroke was, and how enraged he'd be. But Deathstroke is completely to blame for the actual death. That grenade bit just drives it home -- he's just incredibly careless about collateral damage, even if his own son is in the room.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 29, 2019

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
When you think about Dick as a leader, him claiming responsibility for an innocent who died executing his plan makes perfect sense no matter who did the actual stabbery

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

pile of brown posted:

When you think about Dick as a leader, him claiming responsibility for an innocent who died executing his plan makes perfect sense no matter who did the actual stabbery
Even more so when you think of him as a trainee of Batman, the ultimate control freak. Batman acts like things are his fault because he didn't think of a difficult thing quickly, so acting like something is Dick's fault because he actively half-assed a plan is pretty tolerant blame-laying in that light.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Adeline said "they might feel differently" :tinfoil:

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

The return of Conner's rear end.

Looking forward to Hank and Larry's crossover duet.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Antifa Superboy and Krypto!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

One of these days someone is going to write a show about a group of superheroes that work as a team, and communicate with each other like normal functioning people, that make decisions based on common sense and logical reasoning.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
what did I just watch

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

This season has basically degenerated into pointless insane drivel.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

Autism Sneaks posted:

what did I just watch

Beast Boy having more lines in this episode than the rest of Season 2 combined, Superboy's rear end yet again, and Dick Grayson "Being Sad"

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Connor's rear end is pretty much the only thing keeping me watching this show at this point.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

So much potential and yet it sucks so much poo poo. I think they purposely made the show wrong, as a joke.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
The feel good show of the DCU !....this is not.

Autism Sneaks posted:

what did I just watch
Hank and Dawn's relationship.
Raven and Donna's friendship.
Gar and Connor's fellowship.
Kori and Faddei's spaceships.

Everything's falling apart.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 2, 2019

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Yeah.. not a fan of how the direction the last few episodes has taken. :rip:

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

Binary Logic posted:

Raven and Donna's friendship.

Did I forget something from season 1 again? I thought Raven was much closer to Kory.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

vseslav.botkin posted:

Did I forget something from season 1 again? I thought Raven was much closer to Kory.

She was. But Raven wanted to GTFO and Kory looked like she was going to stick around (until she got that text) and she didn’t want to be a third wheel to the Hank and Dawn/Jason and Rose couples so that left Donna as the only other one leaving.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

teagone posted:

Yeah.. not a fan of how the direction the last few episodes has taken. :rip:

Describing it as a ‘direction’ might be a tad hyperbolic don’t you think?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Seems like a classic case of getting three or five good set pieces up for the whole season and filling in the rest with heaps of talking but not communicating, and the anime classic, tall dark and brooding does what he likes and something will bring him around at the end where he turns over a new leaf with the help of his friends who still like him for some reason and gets 4 x stronger with the power of his own self righteousness

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A problem with the show called "Titans" is that they've spent almost two whole seasons not being the Titans.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

vseslav.botkin posted:

Oracle posted:

She was. But Raven wanted to GTFO and Kory looked like she was going to stick around (until she got that text) and she didn’t want to be a third wheel to the Hank and Dawn/Jason and Rose couples so that left Donna as the only other one leaving.

Raven asked Donna if she could go with her, so why did she need to restrain Donna with her magic tentacles before exiting the vehicle they were riding in? The car wasn't moving, she could have simply said, "I'm getting out here, got some things to do". As vseslav.botkin noted, they're not close friends and Donna wouldn't have insisted they stay together.

[quote]
Gar: What am I supposed to do?
Dick: Hold down the fort. The place pretty much runs itself. There's a tech manual in the drawer if you need help . " What?!
Dick: When Connor wakes up, call Bruce.
Gar: Bruce Wayne?
Dick: No Bruce Springsteen.

That was funny, but didn't really answer anything, and is ANOTHER irresponsible, foolish, snap decision mistake by Dick. You're leaving Gar to babysit someone with Superman's powers and the life experiences & emotional maturity of a child so you can go off by yourself and brood. Really, Dick - have you learned nothing at all?!

Another forgotten interpersonal relationship is Raven & Gar.
Gar has been not just quiet but so incredibly passive for a Titans team member.
Raven leaves, he doesn't say a word - but they started out so close!

Gar gives Connor a big speech about how the Titans exist to help people, then as soon as Connor gets in trouble and needs help Gar runs off not like a tiger but more like a pussy.

And more than that - Gar's been fanboying over Batman since he first met Dick Grayson. Now he has a chance to call Bruce Wayne and have Batman and/or Superman come to Titans Tower and he....doesn't. Huh?! Has Gar been dipping into the catnip again?

muscles like this! posted:

A problem with the show called "Titans" is that they've spent almost two whole seasons not being the Titans.

Dick re-assembled the 'old' Titans; they couldn't work together and fell apart. He also tried putting together the Teen-ish Titans with Gar, Raven, and Jason but then he didn't seem interested in working with them, didn't tell them what was going on, and wanted them to stay in the tower while he did all the vigilante and detective work. So that fell apart too.
Maybe Dick should try LinkedIn or Indeed for the next recruits.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Nov 3, 2019

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Maybe Dick should just retire the titans and we can just shift Connor’s rear end over to Doom Patrol for Larry to lust over. Maybe add Rachel too since she’s kinda interesting and fits in with the weird and edgy thing they have going on. It’s like they expended all their good show points on Doom Patrol and had none left over for titans.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Binary Logic posted:

Raven asked Donna if she could go with her, so why did she need to restrain Donna with her magic tentacles before exiting the vehicle they were riding in? The car wasn't moving, she could have simply said, "I'm getting out here, got some things to do". As vseslav.botkin noted, they're not close friends and Donna wouldn't have insisted they stay together.
Not necessarily. She may have felt responsible for her safety given she's older and agreed to take her. Also Raven's kind of gotten used to be being bossed around by the older (ex)Titans and might've wanted to make her position perfectly clear. Or maybe she's just a bit out of sorts due to her powers getting away from her and the tentacles weren't entirely voluntary on her part, which is just another reason to get away from someone she could hurt.

I also suspect Raven suspects something's up wrt the whole Jericho situation.

quote:

Dick re-assembled the 'old' Titans; they couldn't work together and fell apart. He also tried putting together the Teen-ish Titans with Gar, Raven, and Jason but then he didn't seem interested in working with them, didn't tell them what was going on, and wanted them to stay in the tower while he did all the vigilante and detective work. So that fell apart too.
Maybe Dick should try LinkedIn or Indeed for the next recruits.
Eh, he's hosed in the head right now, trying to fix the past, and trying to keep the new crop of kids safe while he does it. Unfortunately he's trying to do that by keeping everyone in the dark about his various mistakes and attempting to do everything himself. And now its all biting him in the rear end.

quote:

That was funny, but didn't really answer anything, and is ANOTHER irresponsible, foolish, snap decision mistake by Dick. You're leaving Gar to babysit someone with Superman's powers and the life experiences & emotional maturity of a child so you can go off by yourself and brood. Really, Dick - have you learned nothing at all?!
I thought he was going off to try and make amends with Deathstroke's wife/Jericho's mom and planned to be back shortly (possibly even before Connor woke up, definitely less than three days). He didn't expect to run into Deathstroke there. Then the whole running off thing I suspect is that Jericho was in Slade's body and jumped to Dick to make sure he went off to be 'alone' (Greenland) and the fight at the end was Dick's attempt to not leave (by getting himself arrested so he couldn't just be walked right back out by Jericho).

quote:

Another forgotten interpersonal relationship is Raven & Gar.
Gar has been not just quiet but so incredibly passive for a Titans team member.
Raven leaves, he doesn't say a word - but they started out so close!
They were going through a rough patch because of Raven's out of control powers, they'd snapped at each other and were both kind of not talking to each other before the whole thing with Jason's set up/Slade (Jericho?) loving with them all. She also just up and left without even asking if he was coming, so its not like he ignored her first. He also just woke up to all this drama. Suspicion is Jericho was in Gar's body and doing all the screwing with the soda and crosses and leaving the record for Rose to find etc. which is why he thought he'd been asleep the whole time.

quote:

Gar gives Connor a big speech about how the Titans exist to help people, then as soon as Connor gets in trouble and needs help Gar runs off not like a tiger but more like a pussy.
What is a 15 year old kid who can slowly turn into a tiger and sometimes a snake maybe supposed to do against a clone of loving Superman that can toss people 50yrds and laser eye beam cars? He ran off to try and get help.

quote:

And more than that - Gar's been fanboying over Batman since he first met Dick Grayson. Now he has a chance to call Bruce Wayne and have Batman and/or Superman come to Titans Tower and he....doesn't. Huh?! Has Gar been dipping into the catnip again?
Watch again. He did try to call him when Connor woke up. Batman didn't answer. Because Batman's an rear end in a top hat who ignores his kids.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 4, 2019

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I really don't like that Gar has been nerfed into only being able to do a tiger.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Roth posted:

I really don't like that Gar has been nerfed into only being able to do a tiger.

I thought he turned into a snake in the first episode of season two.

The writers can't even get their story straight on powers, and selective memory on their characters.

Is there a reason why Connor was in a sleep state? I thought Ravens Goop Powers with the Starfire Heat Supply fixed everything.

It truly is the most boggling DC adaptation.

It was clearly rushed, yet again.

Anyway Look forward to Connor and Grayson being cell-mates and Connor using Superman's mind to recall the story of Flamebird and Nightwing, while Rose and Jason start becoming a couple?

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
Wait, did we ever get a reveal on who was messing with them, leaving bottles and records and stuff? I thought the whole point of that was that they were building to revealing a traitor, but I remember Dick finding the photos and then going "HE'S HERE," before getting distracted by the situation on the roof with Jason.

The thought of Deathstroke going to the trouble to take all of those pictures and do freaky pranks like carefully put crucifixes in Raven's room is extremely funny to imagine, especially if he did it in full uniform. (If it was Deathstroke, how would he even know about the soda?)

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

vseslav.botkin posted:

Wait, did we ever get a reveal on who was messing with them, leaving bottles and records and stuff? I thought the whole point of that was that they were building to revealing a traitor, but I remember Dick finding the photos and then going "HE'S HERE," before getting distracted by the situation on the roof with Jason.

The thought of Deathstroke going to the trouble to take all of those pictures and do freaky pranks like carefully put crucifixes in Raven's room is extremely funny to imagine, especially if he did it in full uniform. (If it was Deathstroke, how would he even know about the soda?)

Nope. Everyone blamed Jason, he went up to the roof to take the shortcut down, Dick talked him down, then came down and everyone promptly forgot about it in their rush to condemn him for lying to them/bug out.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

vseslav.botkin posted:

Thought it was Dick doing it all during his Bruce Wayne hallucination in a fugue state, honestly. Dick knew/knows all their weaknesses, he had access to the entire Titans Tower, etc.
Then the Jericho backstory episode happened, and now I have no idea what's going on.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Jericho obviously astral-projected into their apartment and moved things around. Spookily. :ghost:

The Lord Bude posted:

One of these days someone is going to write a show about a group of superheroes that work as a team, and communicate with each other like normal functioning people, that make decisions based on common sense and logical reasoning.

It's probably easier to write drama when everyone's lying to each other, or are acting like teenagers in general.

itry fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 6, 2019

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Tiggum posted:

Do the writers even remember that he was a cop?

Good news! :v:

Balthesar
Sep 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Can I just get a Krypto show or movie please?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Episode was :psyduck: out of 10.

Balthesar posted:

Can I just get a Krypto show or movie please?

Like The Mask animated series, but with a dog.

Every episode ends with someone new telling Krypto that he's a good boy.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Titans continues to hurt me in a multitude of ways. I'm starting to think the fan films are better than this.

Why did I agree to do a recap podcast about this?

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
I liked that episode. Raven has my new favourite power I haven't thought of.

Dick going to (Bob) Kane County Correctional Facility was a nice easter egg. And I like that Mercy is a "villain" but usually the only rational adult in the room. While Bruce and Dick as usual are far too caught up in themselves to be any help.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

itry posted:

Good news! :v:

Why the gently caress did it say 7 years, no parole. In the swiftest justice system move in history?

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
Why did the guard say he was trying to only serve 20 years instead of 30 by taking a plea?

This show feels like it's made by two teams that hate each other.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

I really like the casting, from top to bottom it's all spot on. I think that's the only positive thing I can say at this point.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

vseslav.botkin posted:

Why did the guard say he was trying to only serve 20 years instead of 30 by taking a plea?

This show feels like it's made by two teams that hate each other.

I am lead to believe, like first season, they had maybe a team of 8 writers and were told to write 12/13 episodes and they had 2 months to write + produce this.

And all they had was bullet points such as "Introduce Krypto" and "Get Nightwing Suit At The End"

Because some dialog hints Dick is still seeking a court appearance - and if he's 7 years no probation to a 20/30 year thing - they can't figure out what to do with him.

Not to mention, he can't be a "cop" in this universe anymore given background checks, not to mention, whenever he "breaks out" - wouldn't he be somebody on the lamb?

Also, did they ever explain what happened to Rose and Jason? They sort of just left after these two episodes, and we have yet to establish the location or characters Rachael visits in this episode.

I would blame Berlanti on all this, but I just assume he skims it and goes "can you add more eye candy here?"

It does not know what kind of show it wants to be. And it's inconsistent with how it wants to handle any of it's characters in a way that is just frustrating

And all I can think of is "Nerd Buzz Dot Blogspot Dot Net" going DID YOU NOTICE THE NIGHTWING LOGO ON THE WALL? Alazul means BLUE WING and all these cheap "easter eggs" for the sake of fan service, that come across as nothing more than crutches for it's really REALLY bad dialogue and story tree.

If you are trying to follow one of these characters, rather it's Donna or Hank or Jason, you are just left confused. They leave, to return, but then get upset and leave... but then think something is wrong.

it's not just their Grayson, it's all of them.
Beast Boy was a "Cisco"/"Felicity" character for the front half of the season, and just now he gets some sort of story.

And also I think them nerfing him from "he can turn into any animal" into "just a tiger" is kind of frustrating - when he turned into a Snake in Season 2, Episode 1. I really just think they don't have money in the production budget for anything BUT the CGI green tiger

If anything - I am trying to figure out Who is this show for?

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

This is such a weird loving show. I watched the first season out of boredom and curiosity this August (since I'd heard about all the controversy, "gently caress Batman" and everything) and it was at times super incompetent but overall kind of okay-ish turn-your-brain-off entertainment that falls apart if you think about it too hard, both conceptually and plot-wise. But then the second season started and after a pretty rocky start it sort of seemed to build up speed? The writing seemed snappier and it felt like it was actually going somewhere.

And then we got a bunch of flashbacks, more characters added to the already bloated cast and then it just veered right off the rails to the degree I didn't even feel like watching anymore, instead just went with skimming the last two episodes mostly. How does that happen to a show? It's a downright bizarre series of events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

TelevisedInsanity posted:

And also I think them nerfing him from "he can turn into any animal" into "just a tiger" is kind of frustrating - when he turned into a Snake in Season 2, Episode 1. I really just think they don't have money in the production budget for anything BUT the CGI green tiger

I agree with basically your entire post but they did shove in a hamfisted line something like "I can help you be all the things you want to be" that makes me think that's changing soon.