Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Ego-bot posted:

Didn't Missouri reverse their law via referendum in 2018?

The Missouri law didn't take effect before repeal, so it was never a right to work state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
It's Saturday night and for some stupid reason* elections are happening. Lousiana is voting on their state legislature and governor. The gubernatorial election will likely be going into runoff between the top two candidates next month.

Things currently appear to be going less than great.

https://twitter.com/JMilesColeman/status/1183201118375071744
https://twitter.com/JMilesColeman/status/1183209223649406976
https://twitter.com/CascadianSolo/status/1183203851274350593

*voter suppression I'm guessing

more tweets:

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1183212636105773056
https://twitter.com/ChazNuttycombe/status/1183210244350103552

It'll be terrible when the Republicans ban abortion after 6 weeks

Chemtrailologist fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 13, 2019

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Ego-bot posted:

It's Saturday night and for some stupid reason* elections are happening. Lousiana is voting on their state legislature and governor. The gubernatorial election will likely be going into runoff between the top two candidates next month.

Things currently appear to be going less than great.

*voter suppression I'm guessing

I think it really highlights how unlike the rest of the.. well, entire western world, rural southern states are. The entire thing be completely fascinating if it wasn't so god damned depressing.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Ego-bot posted:

https://twitter.com/AngieMaxwell1/status/1183219951416594433

This also happened. Doesn't surprise me at all with what I remember from living there for well over a decade.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Wow weird a Democrat helped Republicans ban abortion in Louisiana and somehow it didn't flip a single moderate Republican who would have ever guessed.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Give Lee Carter your coffee money.

The first right-to-work state might become the first to reverse course.

https://vpm.org/news/articles/7533/survey-finds-diminished-democratic-support-for-right-to-work-law

Lee Carter needs all the help we can give him because the Republicans want his scalp in particular and are pouring A TON of money into this race. I am beginning to feel they will claim victory even if they lose both chambers as long as they take him down with him.

Man, his speech at the union hall gave me loving goosebumps. He has so much passion and breathes fire in all the best ways. He talked about expanding workmans comp, safety regs, and repealing Right to Work. I pretty much melted in front of him and am now the proud owner of a Lee Carter selfie.

"There is absolutely nothing special about me" - Lee Carter, not realizing that knowing that is what makes him so goddamn special.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Yeah, I'm gonna up my contribution to him a bit past coffee money for the next couple of weeks, and Danica too while I'm about it. They're great.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/srl/status/1185298980013522944

Hopefully this doesn't get overturned

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Bought to head and and represent for my boy Lee Carter. If you can get involved, do it. There is no better feeling than hitting the streets with some comrades for a candidate worth believing in.

As usual, if you got some spare cash, please throw it to my man Lee. He is doing work and needs to continue doing good work!

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
If you’d walked the right neighborhood, you’d have run into Lee himself, it turns out.

Next week is the final week, and if you’re a NoVA Goon, you can get weird and get Country Hugs from Political Goons and Save Democracy and all that. PM me for details.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I just now saw that the Fairfax School board is up for election this year too. The GOP has been running an awful, racist campaign. There's a ton of candidates and positions, and all the candidates are technically independent so they don't have a party listed on the ballot (I think). Hope the Dems are giving out sample ballots on election day.

In good news, my delegate, Kathy Tran, appears to be well out fundraising her opponent, despite raising the ire of anti-abortion fanatics.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

HisMajestyBOB posted:

I just now saw that the Fairfax School board is up for election this year too. The GOP has been running an awful, racist campaign. There's a ton of candidates and positions, and all the candidates are technically independent so they don't have a party listed on the ballot (I think). Hope the Dems are giving out sample ballots on election day.

In good news, my delegate, Kathy Tran, appears to be well out fundraising her opponent, despite raising the ire of anti-abortion fanatics.

I hope so too. If people could post names of NoVA candidates they determine don't suck, and what information they have, that would be great.

Like, look at this poo poo:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I hope so too. If people could post names of NoVA candidates they determine don't suck, and what information they have, that would be great.

Like, look at this poo poo:

Well, I think Priscilla has an honest face. Plus, she doesn't see color!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

OAquinas posted:

Well, I think Priscilla has an honest face. Plus, she doesn't see color!

a vote for :geno: is a vote for gray

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I misread that dude's last name as Paralegal and was like "wait, did he put his job on there?"

if he hadn't had a middle name that could be a last name I would maybe have not made this mistake but really I just feel racist now

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Creating a list of recommendations and passing them out at the polls can be devastatingly effective for these kinds of races. Nobody knows anything, so if you hand out a card that has a list of recommendations, or like "scores" for each candidate, you could probably win a big chunk of votes that would otherwise be random.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
The Fairfax Democrats have a list of endorsements, so that can at least weed out the R's: http://fairfaxdemocrats.org/2019/05/23/fairfax-democrats-to-endorse-candidates-for-school-board-soil-water-conservation-district-director/
The WaPo also gave a list of endorsements as well, mostly D's: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...6a96_story.html

Are they actually good candidates? :shrug:
Abrar Omeish seems pretty cool.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

HisMajestyBOB posted:

The Fairfax Democrats have a list of endorsements, so that can at least weed out the R's: http://fairfaxdemocrats.org/2019/05/23/fairfax-democrats-to-endorse-candidates-for-school-board-soil-water-conservation-district-director/
The WaPo also gave a list of endorsements as well, mostly D's: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...6a96_story.html

Are they actually good candidates? :shrug:
Abrar Omeish seems pretty cool.

There was some criticism of Abrar for essentially stacking the Democratic committee with her supporters and friends (who then proceeded to not really participate beyond the endorsement vote), but like also that's how these things work - can't be too mad at someone for playing the game.

Outside of maybe like Arlington or Richmond or some other place so Blue the Rs don't even show up, it's probably the case that the D endorsed candidate is the best on the ballot.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
If anybody would like to phone bank today or tomorrow for the mighty Lee Carter, I can set you up virtually from home if you want to PM me. If you're in the Manassas area and want to rock it in person, Lee is hosting one with none other than Bernie damned Sanders as the special guest!

https://twitter.com/kamran_fareedi/status/1191071908776861696?s=20

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Good luck to residents of New Jersey, Louisiana, Kentucky, Virginia, and Mississippi, who have import elections scheduled for tomorrow. Also, you fellows should do something about your weird off-year election cycles.

Moreover, your municipality may have local elections tomorrow even outside those states. Don’t forget to vote.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Ogmius815 posted:

Good luck to residents of New Jersey, Louisiana, Kentucky, Virginia, and Mississippi, who have import elections scheduled for tomorrow. Also, you fellows should do something about your weird off-year election cycles.

Moreover, your municipality may have local elections tomorrow even outside those states. Don’t forget to vote.

Can’t speak for other states, but Louisiana’s runoff election is Saturday, November 16. Although, early voting is underway now.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
I don’t remember if I posted this before but if you are in Indiana and you select the straight ticket option on the ballot, don’t forget to still select candidates that have multiple selections (such as pick up to three for city council). Straight ticket voting does not give any votes to those candidates and they have to be selected on their own.

Take the time please, down ballot candidates will thank you

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Ogmius815 posted:

I like voting every year. :colbert:

EDIT: I voted! The sample ballot really helped for selecting the three (3!) candidates for Soil and Water Conservation Director.

HisMajestyBOB fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Nov 5, 2019

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Voted in VA! Turnout in my Dem district was highest in 2016 according to the poll workers. I think this is gonna be a slaughter: I'm in the type of district Republicans need to fit -- defending a Republican Senate seat -- and I received a total of one mailer, zero door visits, and never saw a single Republican canvasing. Dems, on the other hand, were everywhere, all the time.

Also, fun fact, I am related to our new Republican state party chair (our old one quit in protest of Stewart winning the Senate primary).

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

No line where I voted earlier, but I think most voters don't show up until the afternoon.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Apparently my voting place was telling people they can vote online...

Excuse me while I call some election officials holy gently caress

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Spiffster posted:

Apparently my voting place was telling people they can vote online...

Excuse me while I call some election officials holy gently caress

Indiana is a bastion of democracy. Is there a decent place that tracks local elections or do I have to rely on my local news and maybe ballotpedia afterwards?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
For all your election day posting/tracking, The Virginia Public Access Project (VPAP) is probably going to be your best bet for results.

https://www.vpap.org/elections/

When I early voted on Saturday the Fairfax County GOP was out there trying to lie and hand out a flier saying that the election for Commonwealth's Attorney was between 2 Dems (it isn't). The Fairfax County Dems were right behind them with a counter flier about all the lies in the GOP one.

They're desperate.

Everyone give Fancy, Friendbot and anyone else who was out there pounding the pavement for the candidates a big round of applause and thank you.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

axeil posted:

For all your election day posting/tracking, The Virginia Public Access Project (VPAP) is probably going to be your best bet for results.

When I early voted on Saturday the Fairfax County GOP was out there trying to lie and hand out a flier saying that the election for Commonwealth's Attorney was between 2 Dems (it isn't). The Fairfax County Dems were right behind them with a counter flier about all the lies in the GOP one.

They're desperate.

Everyone give Fancy, Friendbot and anyone else who was out there pounding the pavement for the candidates a big round of applause and thank you.

Man, I am beyond anxious about today. I have put a metric ton of blood sweat and tears into this election and holy poo poo has it taken a toll on me. After today...I rest. Then put my boots on and get back into the trenches. Thank you to all who got in the mud with Fancy and I by donating time, money, and spreading the word.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
how's Kentucky look? My boyfriend there says the polls are kinda tight but he's still not optimistic.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

axeil posted:

They're desperate.

I live in Indiana also, unfortunately.

I work in Kentucky though and I've seen a lot of Democrat signs out and about, probably at least equal to Republican if not more. That's a good sign in Kentucky.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Edit: SA borked things so double post

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
NINE HOURS REMAIN.

Things are looking better and better.

Guarded optimism is the watchword, and the only reason it's guarded is because 2016 hosed all our brains to bits.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

I tried to find any elections in my area in Indiana and found nothing. Good luck to everyone else today!

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Almost everyone here is running unopposed, scept for two judgeships and a member of the town council.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Nov 5, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Absentee ballots need to put the I Voted sticker in there so people stop asking me when I'm going to

Don't gently caress this up Virginia

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

RBA Starblade posted:

Absentee ballots need to put the I Voted sticker in there so people stop asking me when I'm going to

Don't gently caress this up Virginia

If you do the in-person absentee, they give you the sticker. I bet if you go to a polling place and tell them you voted early, they'll give you a sticker.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Let's go Lee Carter. Sending him strong vibes from Texas.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I moved out of Virginia so I don't get to vote for the first time in three years :(

but I did kick some money over to Lee Carter and bugged my friends and family to make sure they voted today.

Gonna be :f5: tonight for sure!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Voted in Virginia Beach. According to a lady giving out ballot guides, turnout has been ridiculous, apparently my polling station has already doubled its average full-day turnout. It's VB, which is normally pretty WASPy, but she's a Dem and seemed real excited, so hopefully a good sign?