Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

The Maestro posted:

Good affordable scotches for a Penicillin?

For quality and price on a blend, I can't be hosed to bother with anything else other than Black Label. For the peated, I like Glenfiditch 12

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

The Maestro posted:

Good affordable scotches for a Penicillin?

I've enjoyed Famous Grouse with a quarter-ounce float of Laphroaig 10. I'd been looking to try a single-malt for a while, though, and you could probably omit the Laphroaig without ruining the drink. It's a nice touch, though.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Blended: in order from best to worst (imo) Black Bottle, Famous Grouse, Johnnie Black label, Dewar’s White label, or Teacher’s are all fine/good. I would also not turn my nose up at Johnnie Red label or J&B or Ballantine’s or even Cutty Sark in this context.

Peated: This should be an Islay, and if you already have an Islay you like neat you should use that one, no point keeping another bottle around for floats. If not, get whichever Ardbeg, Bowmore, Caol Ila, Lagavulin, or Laphroaig is cheapest, or use this as an excuse to try a new one. (I really like Bunnahabhain as well, but it’s not as aggressively smoky as you need for this drink.)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

BrianBoitano posted:

Slightly related new legislation: all menus must admit whether they use sour mix or real citrus juice

I don't think I've ever seen a menu that lies when it specifies. They'll try to dress it up as "house sour mix", but you know that if a menu says "lemon juice" it'll at least be bottled stuff.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

chitoryu12 posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a menu that lies when it specifies. They'll try to dress it up as "house sour mix", but you know that if a menu says "lemon juice" it'll at least be bottled stuff.

Right, but 95% of margaritas don't specify and even skinny or top shelf ritas are sickly sweet :negative:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

BrianBoitano posted:

Right, but 95% of margaritas don't specify and even skinny or top shelf ritas are sickly sweet :negative:

Every Margarita I've seen has specified. The problem is those places all free pour everything and may not shake enough to mix properly.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Great King Street Artists Blend was designed to be the scotch for the penicillin, and it's very affordable.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Thanks for the scotch recs.

Specify a Tommy’s Margarita - no sour mix. Lime, agave, tequila.

Edit: I was gonna ask about great king st. Artists. And monkey shoulder. Also the great king Glasgow blend - probably not peaty enough?

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
I like pigs nose myself. Monkey shoulder is too sweet imo.

At work we do:
1.5 grouse
.75 lemon
.75 honey
.5 ginger juice
Heavy Laphroaig spray

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I'm a big fan of Black Grouse for an everyday mixing Scotch. It seems they've recently rebranded it as Famous Grouse Smokey Black, but it's the same stuff. Very affordable and quite flavorful.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The Maestro posted:

Thanks for the scotch recs.

Specify a Tommy’s Margarita - no sour mix. Lime, agave, tequila.

Edit: I was gonna ask about great king st. Artists. And monkey shoulder. Also the great king Glasgow blend - probably not peaty enough?

Glasgow blend is the peated version of Artist's blend, it's plenty peaty. They were both designed to be cost effective replacements for Compass Box Asyla & Peat Monster, which were the original scotches that Milk & Honey was using when Sam Ross made the drink.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I'll ask here because the infusion thread is pretty dead. Using Cinchona Bark in a bitters, any guidelines? Use a small amount? Don't powder it just break it up a little? To avoid quinine overdose. It would just be a supporting flavor unlike in something like tonic syrup.

To me Laphroaig 10 is the gold standard of smoky scotch to use as a modifier. Tried a few other brands. Also widely available and relatively affordable (for scotch).

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Fart Car '97 posted:

Glasgow blend is the peated version of Artist's blend, it's plenty peaty. They were both designed to be cost effective replacements for Compass Box Asyla & Peat Monster, which were the original scotches that Milk & Honey was using when Sam Ross made the drink.

This is the kind of deep knowledge that I come to this thread for. Dope post.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

For the peated, I like Glenfiditch 12

Are you trolling or just testing to see if we’re paying attention

Scythe posted:

This is the kind of deep knowledge that I come to this thread for. Dope post.

Agreed - thanks Fart Car

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

The Maestro posted:

Are you trolling or just testing to see if we’re paying attention

:wink:

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Comb Your Beard posted:

I'll ask here because the infusion thread is pretty dead. Using Cinchona Bark in a bitters, any guidelines? Use a small amount? Don't powder it just break it up a little? To avoid quinine overdose. It would just be a supporting flavor unlike in something like tonic syrup.

Missed this. I wouldn't powder it just because it'll make the infusion murkier and shards will extract fine. It is less bitter than, for example, gentian, so you don't need to be toooo sparing with it, but it's definitely more bitter than anything that's not a bark/root.

If you are making enough volume for it, you could always infuse each ingredient separately and then combine them in whatever ratio you like--that makes it easy to control the balance and gives you a better starting point for future recipes (where you may be able to infuse all together in similar ratios to what you ended up combining).

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

I just so happened to have an unopened bottle of glenfiddick 12 on my bar, and decided to give it a taste last night after killing off my balvenie 12. I was pretty positive it wasn’t Islay, and also not peated, but what an underwhelming pour anyways. Nuts that a 12yr scotch can taste so thin. You’re lucky I know you’re not an idiot otherwise I definitely would have pegged you as one

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

The Maestro posted:

I just so happened to have an unopened bottle of glenfiddick 12 on my bar, and decided to give it a taste last night after killing off my balvenie 12. I was pretty positive it wasn’t Islay, and also not peated, but what an underwhelming pour anyways. Nuts that a 12yr scotch can taste so thin. You’re lucky I know you’re not an idiot otherwise I definitely would have pegged you as one

Yeah it's very weird that something sitting in a barrel for over a decade can come out so close to water. Serious answer, I actually like compass box peat monster for an affordable peat.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Everything from compass box is pretty dope tbqh.

Jorge Von Bacon
Nov 1, 2010
The other day I got a bottle of cherry heering (49% alcohol) at an estate sale for free, mostly for the neat bottle. Looking online, it's probably from the 40's or 50's.

It was opened at some point and the cork reinserted with the bottle about half full. I had to use a corkscrew to open it back up but it surprisingly came out clean. No floating particles in the liquor or gunk at the bottom of the bottle.

Took a small taste and it's obviously super oxidized but surprisingly not terrible.

My question: How weird is it to drink it and will I die? Any danger of lead from being in the bottle that long?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Jorge Von Bacon posted:

The other day I got a bottle of cherry heering (49% alcohol) at an estate sale for free, mostly for the neat bottle. Looking online, it's probably from the 40's or 50's.

It was opened at some point and the cork reinserted with the bottle about half full. I had to use a corkscrew to open it back up but it surprisingly came out clean. No floating particles in the liquor or gunk at the bottom of the bottle.

Took a small taste and it's obviously super oxidized but surprisingly not terrible.

My question: How weird is it to drink it and will I die? Any danger of lead from being in the bottle that long?

I am friends with a historic spirits collector/expert, who does all the historic spirits procuring for our bar:

Jorge Von Bacon
Nov 1, 2010

Fart Car '97 posted:

I am friends with a historic spirits collector/expert, who does all the historic spirits procuring for our bar:

Thank you! Exactly what I was looking for.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Shame to hear it’s undrinkable. I’d be real curious to know what a 98-proof cherry heering tastes like.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'd be tempted to boil it, top it off with 151, and drink it anyway. But I have an emotional attachment to Heering.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Just slam it to the head and report back. If we don't hear from you in a week I'll assume you had a good ol' time.

:rip:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Just slam it to the head and report back. If we don't hear from you in a week I'll assume you had a good ol' time.

:rip:

Telling people to commit suicide is bannable you know

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Dying the way he lived. Swiggin' decades old bottles of free booze.

:doggo:

Jorge Von Bacon
Nov 1, 2010

prayer group posted:

Shame to hear it’s undrinkable. I’d be real curious to know what a 98-proof cherry heering tastes like.

I was mistaken - it says 49 proof - the label is torn right there so I didn't look very closely.

I've got everything for a singapore sling, so wouldn't be against premixing the liquors to kill any bacteria first and trying it out unless someone gives some convincing reason that will not be effective.

I also got unopened bottles of Garrett's Virginia Dare "Sherry" and ~29% alcohol Leroux grenadine from the same time period with the heering so could give a trip report on those if it's "safer"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jorge Von Bacon posted:

I was mistaken - it says 49 proof - the label is torn right there so I didn't look very closely.

I've got everything for a singapore sling, so wouldn't be against premixing the liquors to kill any bacteria first and trying it out unless someone gives some convincing reason that will not be effective.

I also got unopened bottles of Garrett's Virginia Dare "Sherry" and ~29% alcohol Leroux grenadine from the same time period with the heering so could give a trip report on those if it's "safer"

Even if you kill the bacteria, the taste probably won't be worth drinking a historic artifact.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

The story behind that horrible old-fashioned video, yes you know the one.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This is historic.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

The story is even better than I expected, knowing how amazing the videos are.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

That is wonderful. I want to know the back story of the Woodford Reserve Mint Julep and the dude with the coke now.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Kenning posted:

That is wonderful. I want to know the back story of the Woodford Reserve Mint Julep and the dude with the coke now.

The mint julep is from the same shoot

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

The mint julep is from the same shoot

Nah, it's got a different actress, location, and producer.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Toast Museum posted:

Nah, it's got a different actress, location, and producer.

Which video is this?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Which video is this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk57WmewiRA

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This is a war crime.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

This is a war crime.

I can't believe you hadn't seen that one yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Thank God she redeems herself with the Sprite there at the end.

:gonk: