Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I thought that the 12th was a better date because people would be out of school then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Jess Phillips is demanding to see Brexit's manager again.

She's seeing things in her toast now.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Feldegast42 posted:

I thought that the 12th was a better date because people would be out of school then

I think that we want students in their student constituencies because that's probably where they are registered?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Why does marx sound like zizek in my head?
I've just realized that I've never considered "what did Karl Marx sound like" while reading him.

All 19th century philosophers sound like my internal monologue, sometimes with an inflection, it's only in the 20th century when they got all pretentious and started speaking with accents. :argh:

Now I'm imagining him sounding like Einstein in my head.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

A Raspberry Pi or even one of those little 20 quid Android boxes with Kodi (dodgy pirate telly builds optional) will deliver a far better and faster multimedia experience than any smart telly.
:hmmyes:

Pi 3/4s are good for multimedia stuff.

Also there's a slow scan tv application for them called pisstv, but that's completely unrelated.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

goddamnedtwisto posted:

A Raspberry Pi or even one of those little 20 quid Android boxes with Kodi (dodgy pirate telly builds optional) will deliver a far better and faster multimedia experience than any smart telly.

Would they be user friendly? My partner is not a tech person so it'd need to be proper plug and play

Sorry all I know this isn't the tech support thread

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

So, why the 9th, again? I guess if it's straight after the weekend then people will be fresh and ready to haul rear end to the polling station, but other than that I'm still not sure why it matters enough to amend it away from the 12th.

Apart from continuing to make Johnson look like a giant failure, of course.

Also my office Xmas party is on the 13th, so it would be the perfect time to celebrate or commiserate.

Mainly it's to allow for as much time as possible for the new government to get its poo poo together before the extension ends.

Also the going theory is that more people will vote the farther away it is from being busy with Christmas (travelling to see relatives, doing shopping, etc)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

I've just realized that I've never considered "what did Karl Marx sound like" while reading him.

All 19th century philosophers sound like my internal monologue, sometimes with an inflection, it's only in the 20th century when they got all pretentious and started speaking with accents. :argh:

Now I'm imagining him sounding like Einstein in my head.

:hmmyes:

Pi 3/4s are good for multimedia stuff.

Also there's a slow scan tv application for them called pisstv, but that's completely unrelated.

Marx probably spoke like a German from the Rheinland

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Given his living history he would have a strong German accent from his upbringing in Prussia with hints of Parisian French, and probably a slight twinge of London English in his latter years.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider
Corbyn's a chicken who's scared of an election. The old coot quails before us.

Turkeys voting for Christmas! It's owl plover for auk-ward Corbyn, the albatross around Labour's neck. His goose is cooked now that he's called for an election - he's a sitting duck. He's bittern off more than he can swallow, it's the stupidest thing I've ever heard dove. God he looks like a complete tit, and soon he'll be eating crow. What a lark.

We will not listen to that warbler Corbyn's huffin and puffin and thrush into an election. The policies that bustard is hawking are dangerous! Corbyn is cuckoo and Dennis Skimmer is a loon, and the hard left are a fowl flock of raven lunatics who will be robin the country if they get in! They're vultures who just parrot what Corbyn says, and he appeals to their greeb.

Look at Corbyn peacocking and swanning about like he's cock of the walk! Well, toucan play at that game! Our vengeance will be swift, and we will not finch from a challenge. It won't be pheasant, but we are not for terning. We will stork him and shrike hard! No more grousing, we'll rise phoenix-like from the ashes, gull-vanise our support and wren-ch control back from him!

David Cameron hosed a dead pigeon.

Phew. Maybe that will revive bird chat ;)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Braggart posted:

Turkeys voting for Christmas! It's owl plover for auk-ward Corbyn, the albatross around Labour's neck. His goose is cooked now that he's called for an election - he's a sitting duck. He's bittern off more than he can swallow, it's the stupidest thing I've ever heard dove. God he looks like a complete tit, and soon he'll be eating crow. What a lark.

We will not listen to that warbler Corbyn's huffin and puffin and thrush into an election. The policies that bustard is hawking are dangerous! Corbyn is cuckoo and Dennis Skimmer is a loon, and the hard left are a fowl flock of raven lunatics who will be robin the country if they get in! They're vultures who just parrot what Corbyn says, and he appeals to their greeb.

Look at Corbyn peacocking and swanning about like he's cock of the walk! Well, toucan play at that game! Our vengeance will be swift, and we will not finch from a challenge. It won't be pheasant, but we are not for terning. We will stork him and shrike hard! No more grousing, we'll rise phoenix-like from the ashes, gull-vanise our support and wren-ch control back from him!

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
did boris pull his vote bill yet

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Barry Foster posted:

Would they be user friendly? My partner is not a tech person so it'd need to be proper plug and play

Sorry all I know this isn't the tech support thread

Once set up, yeah. Kodi has considerably better UI than any smart TV I've seen, which all seem to have been designed by a student at the last minute for a class they didn't know they had.

Setup can be a little bit tricky, especially with the Android boxes - there are pre-rolled builds for the Pi that will give you everything you need though, just copy them from your PC to a MicroSD card, pop it in and you're sorted.

I will caution you that apart from Netflix the availability of premium VoD apps on the Android boxes is patchy, and almost non-existent for the Linux builds that RPis use, so it does depend on what you actually want to use the box for.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I've just heard the words "a little bit of Brexit inside me" and I think I'm done with BBC Parliament for the day.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Somebody I rated retweeted this and god drat shut up and stop giving this bullshit oxygen

https://twitter.com/gabemilne96/status/1189148403269341184?s=19

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/LeftieK13/status/1189226725936369665

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Tesseraction posted:

Given his living history he would have a strong German accent from his upbringing in Prussia with hints of Parisian French, and probably a slight twinge of London English in his latter years.

"Ze proletarians have nothing to lose but zer chains. Zey have a vorld to vin. Engels, mein old china."

Ibis be leaving you to the bird puns.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
https://twitter.com/PARLYapp/status/1189229052890091520

16/17 voter amendment not selected, Corbyn's moving the election to 9th December is

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Doccykins posted:

16/17 voter amendment not selected, Corbyn's moving the election to 9th December is

what about EU citizens voting?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

bump_fn posted:

what about EU citizens voting?

Not selected.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I will caution you that apart from Netflix the availability of premium VoD apps on the Android boxes is patchy, and almost non-existent for the Linux builds that RPis use, so it does depend on what you actually want to use the box for.

Mmm that might be a deal breaker. Not for me, but my partner watches a lot of catchup and the like, and also some amazon prime. Will look into it though - it'd very much be my poo poo and I can follow instructions pretty well and have a reasonable knowledge of computer and the touching thereof. I just know poo poo all about networks

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

That said, she wakes up every morning aND OPEN PALM SLAPS A VHS INTO THE SLOT. ITS THE SDP AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE SHE STARTS DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, POLLY TONYBEE

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Braggart posted:

My god

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Doccykins posted:

poo poo. That would've turned the tide, I was briefly optimistic about this election even if it was a massive long shot

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

It's full of starlings!

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Barry Foster posted:

poo poo. That would've turned the tide, I was briefly optimistic about this election even if it was a massive long shot

I'm not sure a couple of million 16/17 year olds would be the deciding factor in this election. It's not the end of the world.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

So, why the 9th, again? I guess if it's straight after the weekend then people will be fresh and ready to haul rear end to the polling station, but other than that I'm still not sure why it matters enough to amend it away from the 12th.

Apart from continuing to make Johnson look like a giant failure, of course.

Also my office Xmas party is on the 13th, so it would be the perfect time to celebrate or commiserate.

The ninth means parliament has to shut up shop this Friday to meet the timing requirements for an election, the fear is that if it's put to the 12th the government will use the extra few days at the start of next week to retable the withdrawal bill (or other legislation) to perform some last minute trickery

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Doccykins posted:

Can't say that's unexpected, still a shame.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

She just doesn't give a gently caress does she? It's all a game and the objective is Jess Phillips having a higher profile. And she's so blatant about it because no one in the media ever calls her out on it. The only people who do are lefty trolls, and they are lefty trolls because they criticise her. She's got that "I'm so brilliant and everyone loves me" attitude that says she probably doesn't even realise how soft the establishment are on her because she likes to talk poo poo about Corbyn and Labour. Just like CUK, and they learned a hard lesson when they weren't useful any more. What am I saying? They won't have learned anything and neither will Jess Phillips.

She's :smug: personified.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

I think that we want students in their student constituencies because that's probably where they are registered?

also the student vote makes a lot more difference when it's concentrated in a small(ish) number of constituencies rather than spread out all over the country

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Ah yes, tackling climate change by shipping out junk mail for an election you have no loving chance of winning.

Seriously Lib Dems, gently caress off.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

And fracking. Don't forget the fracking.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Diet Crack posted:

Ah yes, tackling climate change by shipping out junk mail for an election you have no loving chance of winning.

lol

like in what loving world are you loving kdiding me lmao

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
The absolute insanity of thinking the LibDems can get a majority

She's more likely to become Queen

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Julio Cruz posted:

also the student vote makes a lot more difference when it's concentrated in a small(ish) number of constituencies rather than spread out all over the country

Is there enough time to start up a new university in Uxbridge or North East Somerset so we can get another Clegg moment?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I'd have a better chance of being the next PM than Swinson even if my "vote for me" leaflet contained nothing but a link to my post history

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Diet Crack posted:

Libdem apparent strategy then is to unleash a loving death plague across the UK killing 99% of the population and somehow avoiding all the libdem members, because that's the only way in hell that's gonna happen.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
LibDem BXP coalition!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jeb! but Jo! instead.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Really disappointed that the 16/17 amendment wasn't selected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Pesky Splinter posted:

strategy then is to unleash a loving death plague across the UK killing 99% of the population

how do I vote for specifically this