Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

a fatguy baldspot posted:

why does it require a skill point to get rid of a thought? may as well just unlock another slot

Most of the time, yeah, but some thoughts are actively detrimental.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
"Agentes In Rebus", huh?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

why does it require a skill point to get rid of a thought? may as well just unlock another slot

Some thoughts have negative effects, so I think the idea is that you're supposed to be careful about which thoughts you internalize, because once you do it'll cost you something to get rid of them.

twit666
Nov 16, 2006

Soiled Meat

The Saddest Rhino posted:

it's the number above your morale or your health, click it to use

This is HUGE!

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

spending SKILL POINTS on a thought feels dumb anyway, more slots should open as the days of the investigation went by

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
After my first playthrough as a boring cop (intelligence/motorics) I’ll probably do a second one and let it rest for a while. Now that I know how time works in game, are there are missable sidequests/things to do? Some people dissapear from the game as time goes on (most notably the guys near the pawnshop and Rene, although I’m not sure whether that’s timed or plot related.) I’m pretty sure that Joyce moving, the tribunal happening and Orange Disco Dancer running away are plot related.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Because there's are dozens of skill points to be gained in a playthrough and this is how it was balanced. You can already max tons of needed skills, pass every white check and get a full thought cabinet as it is, and that's with some thought swapping later on.

Edit: I really want to start a second playthrough but I also super want this game in Ultrawide before I do. It's so drat gorgeous and I want it as big as possible. I tried editing the INI file but that yielded little edible fruit.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 29, 2019

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I have to say, if I was to make one change to the design I'd reduce the cost of forgetting thoughts a bit. Maybe have it be a red skill roll to forget that costs a skill point if you fail?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The skill system reminds me of Arcanum, where you only get 1 pt to do something each level-up, but by the end of the game you're still rolling in points. By the end of Disco I was just mindlessly putting points into skills I thought I might need. The game seems pretty well balanced, and since there's not true combat, there are no trap builds.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Looking through the old devlogs:

quote:

Inspired by “Planescape: Torment”, “Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare” and “Kentucky Route Zero”.

lol

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fangz posted:

I have to say, if I was to make one change to the design I'd reduce the cost of forgetting thoughts a bit. Maybe have it be a red skill roll to forget that costs a skill point if you fail?

Maybe you could roll a red check (using Volition, perhaps) to forget a thought, and if you fail, you also accidentally forget a thought that's adjacent to it in the thought cabinet, because you forgot too many things.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

arcanum had fate points, which might have worked well here as a 'sanity meter' if you started the game with a full-tank

but that's an opinion based on absolutely hating failed dice rolls on a 70%+ chance of success

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

I'd just let people learn all the thoughts all the time because they're really cool and I wish I got more of them

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
i normally hate random rolls but I think they suit this particular game fairly well. An entirely deterministic system doesn't work well for our alchy boy

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah I'm completely on board with random rolls, especially when failures often lead to interesting results just as much as successes do. It feels really fun to try a low-chance roll and succeed.

I do dislike critical failures, though. My general approach is to come at it from a narrative perspective--that if someone puts a lot of skill points into something or goes to the effort to get a lot of modifiers on a roll to the point that it's a 97% chance to succeed, it should probably actually just be 100% to do right by the player. That said, I also think that this is a game that is in many ways about failure, and failing a 97% roll really feels like failure. So maybe that's the point.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

There are some checks where I can't tell if there is some hidden modifier we're not seeing. I had one skill check (I can't recall which) where I had a 42% chance to fail. I save scummed it and failed it 9 times in a row. I gave up after that and just accepted the failure. But it could also just be RNG bullshit.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

There are some checks where I can't tell if there is some hidden modifier we're not seeing. I had one skill check (I can't recall which) where I had a 42% chance to fail. I save scummed it and failed it 9 times in a row. I gave up after that and just accepted the failure. But it could also just be RNG bullshit.

Was it a red check and were you internalizing The Precarious World? While that one's internalizing you automatically fail all red checks.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Harrow posted:

Did you do the church + rave side quests?

I did the church with the kids and the programmer both in there but when we tuned in to the spooky silence sound it got scary and I had them shut it off. Did I miss something? Never saw anything about a rave.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Harrow posted:

Was it a red check and were you internalizing The Precarious World? While that one's internalizing you automatically fail all red checks.

I don't think so? It's possible. I'd have to open my save and see if I even used that one. If so, that would make sense. I wish there was a place to see all skill and clothing bonuses at one time, instead of having to inspect the character screen for skills, inv screen for clothing bonuses, and each individual thought for skill effects.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

chaosapiant posted:

Was it the door at the north-western peninsula?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Megazver posted:

Looking through the old devlogs:

lol

“Kentucky Route Zero” is a name I haven't heard in forever. It's been almost 7 years since they started and it's not even done yet?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Broken Cog posted:

Was it the door at the north-western peninsula?

I don't even remember now. I just remember it was weird. I definitely never got into that door and failed it, but can't remember if that was the one I failed many times consequativelayadflavly I can't spell that loving word.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

chaosapiant posted:

I don't even remember now. I just remember it was weird. I definitely never got into that door and failed it, but can't remember if that was the one I failed many times consequativelayadflavly I can't spell that loving word.

That door is hardcoded to fail, you even get a special "Inevitably failed" message if you roll high enough and inspect the roll

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Is there an in-game reason for that? Why even make it a roll?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

chaosapiant posted:

Is there an in-game reason for that failure? Why even make it a roll?

It's kinda explained in the thought you get from failing it. You don't have to open every open door, or win every roll. Some options are beyond your grasp, even if you *think* you are able to do it. That's what the roll symbolizes.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

chaosapiant posted:

Is there an in-game reason for that? Why even make it a roll?

Sometimes you just can't get through a door, like when it's a small engine bunker that's been rusting shut for 50 years.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I have mixed feelings on that. It makes sense, but there's also plenty of doors that are clickable and don't open and the game doesn't make a big deal of it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

sean10mm posted:

“Kentucky Route Zero” is a name I haven't heard in forever. It's been almost 7 years since they started and it's not even done yet?
Can't rush perfection.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

chaosapiant posted:

I have mixed feelings on that. It makes sense, but there's also plenty of doors that are clickable and don't open and the game doesn't make a big deal of it.

You can kinda get Harry to obsess about that bunker door, because you find it while you're looking for someone hiding out on the coast, and they could be in there. The other doors are more arbitrary, and I think there's only one that is flat out inaccessible until you need to go in there (the Working Class Woman's home).

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Someone posted a fan theory before about Kim and I think there's something to it. If you try to get Kim to tell you a secret, he raises an eyebrow at you and essentially takes control of your psyche. Authority tells you that his authority is off the charts. There's something more that the game isn't telling us about Kim.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Er, so what's the theory?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

kingcobweb posted:

Someone posted a fan theory before about Kim and I think there's something to it. If you try to get Kim to tell you a secret, he raises an eyebrow at you and essentially takes control of your psyche. Authority tells you that his authority is off the charts. There's something more that the game isn't telling us about Kim.

He's hiding that he's a member of The Homosexual Underground.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

kingcobweb posted:

I just thought that part was to let you know that Kim isn't loving around and I kinda left it at that.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Fangz posted:

Er, so what's the theory?

iirc, it's that actually Kim's the human can opener in El Puta Madre's pocket and that that's the reason he's so ok with you just taking bribes and doing drugs left and right. i'm not sure i agree, he's definitely not happy when you do those things and he's never really that can opener-y. i still think that authority eyebrow's just a pretty good joke, but it might really be more than it seems.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I doubt that theory anyway because It's you that Ruby panics about. You and 'your death squad'. And her info is off anyway; she's paranoid and jumping at shadows because she knows she hosed over a drug lord and she's in deep with this lynching coverup bullshit, too.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

oscarthewilde posted:

iirc, it's that actually Kim's the human can opener in El Puta Madre's pocket and that that's the reason he's so ok with you just taking bribes and doing drugs left and right. i'm not sure i agree, he's definitely not happy when you do those things and he's never really that can opener-y. i still think that authority eyebrow's just a pretty good joke, but it might really be more than it seems.

I think that's ridiculous, sorry. I mean Ruby's story has many other specific details that don't check out, like the can opener working with a death squad which she specifically describes as your Precinct 41 crew. If you want to go with the idea of there being a corrupt cop the best possibility to go with is either that Satellite-Officer dude (his use of disguises as a 'joke' could be a hint at him using your identity to do bad stuff), or that guy who quit prior to the game.

Kim's got plenty of things to justify his high authority. Like for example, all the racists all over the place, his homosexuality. Kim's Precinct 57 doesn't even operate in Jamrock. He's the gooddest of good cops.

He smokes a cigarette a day to build up an immunity to temptation. He lets you take bribes and drugs because he believes its possible to do those things and yet not compromise your integrity, because he's the most integrity person alive.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 29, 2019

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

kim's massive authority score is meant to mirror the size of his giant swinging cop-dick.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I can't wait for Disco Elysium 2: Kickin the Jams in Jamrock featuring Lord Ambrosius Hairy-man Costaeu and Kim Kitsuragi.

Edit: Alternate title: Jamrock - Rock out with your cop out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

I hope they'll never make a direct sequel because the game's as close to perfect as it can be as is.

Wouldn't mind more stuff in the same universe though.

Eraflure fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 29, 2019