Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jonny Shiloh posted:

You just know that right now there is an 18 year old Head of Fidelity (Ground Streaming) Pipelines on work experience day release from Salford Tech being lambasted by a sweaty faced manager in the Wilmslow office on just that topic.

"But we can run MSFlight on the background and stream it via SSOCS to our players to provide them the highest fidelity of our Earth depiction, right? We will just add few overlays to make it look futuristic, can't be that hard!"
"Ahemmm... errr... y-yes... m-maybe..."
*sweating intensifies*

E: Animay taxxe, because I can :<

Sanya Juutilainen fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Remember when that Ben fan girl, tried to use blizzard numbers to try and come up with how much SC was going to make on launch.

Good times.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Joe fuckin blobers

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

He shoots, he scooooores! Joe Goddamn Blobers!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Star Citizen: If you milk it, they will come.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Star Citizen: If you milk it, they will come.

You need to do a bingo card thing this year for bingo. Given this year has been sort of "different".

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Star Citizen: Please leave personal morality out of it

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Colostomy Bag posted:

You need to do a bingo card thing this year for bingo. Given this year has been sort of "different".

Ughhhh, thats more work though. I've never even gotten a free Idris or anything from you cheap bastards :(

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Hav posted:

The scam aficionado knows the names of Theranos and Enron, but there’s a new kid on the block...

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/10/how-weworks-adam-neumann-became-billionaire/600607/

...WeWork.

Nah, that isn't a scam. It can't be. I saw a commercial for it during the World Series the other night. No way a scam would be able to buy ad time during a major sporting event.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Ughhhh, thats more work though. I've never even gotten a free Idris or anything from you cheap bastards :(

Alright alright....that's fair I'll take it on. You did god's work in the past. I'll throw some ideas out for spaces and anyone else can chime in.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Golli posted:

Nah, that isn't a scam. It can't be. I saw a commercial for it during the World Series the other night. No way a scam would be able to buy ad time during a major sporting event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g9z26LW3lI

Star Citizen: Why?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dementropy posted:

I remember that up until recently (for obvious reasons), WeWork created a hype train of sorts among property investors in NYC. Now people are looking to quickly reposition their bets investments.

Yeah, I'm beginning to see some interesting patterns in the upper echelons of grift, and it's not entirely related to a singular inability for people to understand what they're being sold.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm on the wrong side.

peter gabriel posted:

Well, PC now built, 4 months after ordering the bits :v:
Things ramped up when the GPU pipelines kicked in

Just in time for a winter of discontent.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Colostomy Bag posted:

Alright alright....that's fair I'll take it on. You did god's work in the past. I'll throw some ideas out for spaces and anyone else can chime in.

I mean, knowing myself I'll just do it anyways but by loving god I'll complain about it!

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I mean, knowing myself I'll just do it anyways but by loving god I'll complain about it!

Well if it helps any, the "Starcitizen Development Buzzword Bingo" game is thoroughly enjoyed in my household so thanks for your previous excellent efforts Jobbo. :kimchi:

Elos
Jan 8, 2009

Love that in the super advanced future year of 2900-something? they somehow still use fuckin ounces for liquids

Elos fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 29, 2019

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

That entire fluff piece about the bartender is fuckin insane lol. Aside from being absolute nonsense, it doesn't even make sense from an in-lore perspective. Why is the Star Citizen equivalent of sky mall interviewing a random nobody bartender at what is - let's be honest - an outdoor food stall?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Xi'an Cuisine

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
REDDIT: Modern Problems Require Modern Solutions

Guy rigs iPhone camera so he can watch his Quantum travel progress on his Apple Watch while he craps...

The lengths backers must go to work around Chris’s idiotic game design are truly inspiring!

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Woah woah, i am sure more can be done for citizens of the verse with who have an iwatch.

Team, we need to fastrack iwatch support. Imagine the possibilities. Sure we can push the release date

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

That entire fluff piece about the bartender is fuckin insane lol. Aside from being absolute nonsense, it doesn't even make sense from an in-lore perspective. Why is the Star Citizen equivalent of sky mall interviewing a random nobody bartender at what is - let's be honest - an outdoor food stall?

Details, details.

February 5th 2013
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/12879-Death-Of-A-Spaceman

Worth a read for the comparison to the progress they've achieved in six years.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
It's not a scam because...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGfaJZAdfNE

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Hav posted:

Details, details.

February 5th 2013
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/12879-Death-Of-A-Spaceman

Worth a read for the comparison to the progress they've achieved in six years.

Near the end of CR's ramblings:

quote:

You backed me to make the game in my head and that’s what I’m going to do.

Has he made it in his head yet?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Bootcha posted:

I honestly think CIG could drop selling spaceships, straight up charge a $12 a month subscription at this point, right now during alpha, and maintain it's funding. Everything else is just frosting on the money cake, by this rough metric alone.
And they can justify it: "You're not paying for access, you're helping with a monthly pledge service to make the BDSSE!"
And think about it, how willing would a backer be to pledge $12 a month for access to nearly everything (3rd party exclusives excluded of course, gotta buy that Optane SSD)?

A subscription is too easy to walk away from. You can just click "cancel" when something disappoints you - when a patch is garbage again, your ship is pushed back from flight-readiness, etc etc. You're not bought in as heavily. You can too easily downgrade from "giving money" to "not giving money" and tell yourself you'll just wait for a bigger update.

Ah, but the dream of one day flying all the ships in your account? Which you can open up at any time and just look at, imagining the wondrous future? Which just keeps getting more and more wondrous as you buy MORE ships that you'll get to fly someday? That keeps nerds buying.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Mirificus posted:

Xi'an Cuisine

So where are those xi'ans in-game?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dwesa posted:

Its an alpha they are in the pipeline. Check the chart.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

MarcusSA posted:

Its an alpha they are in the pipeline. Check the chart.

The content is so big that it clogged the pipeline.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sabreseven posted:

Has he made it in his head yet?

Sandi keeps trying to get the frying pan in there, but it's slow going.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Rotten Red Rod posted:

How much space does SC take up? I'm thinking of trying the free-fly thing just to get a personal experience of the trainwreck I spend so much mental energy following, but I only have a 250 GB SSD and if I have to uninstall Borderlands 3 and The Outer Worlds to play this, fuuuuuuck that.

If you do this, you will spend roughly 100% of your time in the "game," assuming you can get it to load, thinking one thing: "This can't be right." Playing this train wreck is like being a character in a horror film who feels slightly "off" before the actual killing starts. Loading the wank pod could take 30 second, 3 minutes, crash to desktop, or any other number of possibilities. Why the variance? Other games' load times don't vary like that. Then you'll run down a corridor and get 40 FPS, or maybe 6 FPS, or maybe you'll clip through the floor, or maybe you'll crash to desktop. Who knows? It could be anything.

If you last long enough to attempt to find the fun in all this, you're in for a heaping helping of extreme confusion, and that voice saying "this can't be right" will start to get hoarse. Every moment in his existential gaming hell is filled to the brim with realizations and epiphanies as you realize, piece by piece, just how big a scam this is, and you're torn moment to moment between laughing at the absurdity of it all, and falling into a deep depression due to the fact that something this obvious managed to fool so many.

The experience of Star Citizen is nearly limitless. The only thing you won't find here is a game.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

this is loving glorious

sometimes the internet feels like a village

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsvB4o8bjI8

Four hours of ObsidianAnt playing Store Citizer. I honestly don't have the heart.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So do you want to do some BMI (Bingo Meshing of Ideas) on this? Sounds like you in your heart you have some ownership of bingo.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1189282065293991938

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Colostomy Bag posted:

Please make sure "land sales" or "housing sales" makes it on there.

Zzr posted:

The content is so big that it clogged the pipeline.

Like the fatberg in the London sewers?
https://twitter.com/TheRegister/status/1189217116995686400

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Ok, some free spaces:

Simple:

Security/check-in is late.
Presentation (Roberts) late.
Black.
Ramps.
Crashes.
A sale (should be under super simple)

Medium:
Shoes.
Tears.
Optane and/or any other grift.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Jonny Shiloh posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsvB4o8bjI8

Four hours of ObsidianAnt playing Store Citizer. I honestly don't have the heart.

He starts stream en media res cause let's assume there's isn't 20 minutes fo BS otherwise.

10 minutes of shopping

takes a mission to find some dude in the cave? 30 minutes of flying and 30 fegging minutes of looking through a cave..... the game crashes!
Also they run into a bug where he exited the ship and turned it off but the engines were still going crazy... the solution is to just leave it on?

ANyway.. 1:10 crash - then a crash a bit later

then we take a fly mission we spend 40 minutes flying and not getting to land cause lol ux. Scrubbing the timeline it looks like it crashes at least once an hour.

just lol.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

G0RF posted:

REDDIT: Modern Problems Require Modern Solutions

Guy rigs iPhone camera so he can watch his Quantum travel progress on his Apple Watch while he craps...

The lengths backers must go to work around Chris’s idiotic game design are truly inspiring!

Craps that take as much time as quantum traveling can't be healthy at all. Please visit your proctologist crap dude, he's likely a fan anyways.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bumble He posted:

this is loving glorious

sometimes the internet feels like a village

With a *lot* of idiots.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Dwesa posted:

The are already in the game. Those turtles you can pick up, those are the Xi'an. Quite frankly I'm getting a bit tired about being asked where the Xi'an are. They are already there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Wins
Oct 25, 2010
So I remember hearing about this game a lot a couple of years ago and then never hearing about it again, is it safe to assume that it flopped?