Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Labour are one-line whipping for the election, so unless something genuinely spectacular happens the election is going ahead, the only battle was over the date.
It would be really, really funny if it didn't, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Having an election in the middle of Uni exam time is gonna suck for students.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Ms Fuchi posted:

Why does it matter whether it's the 9th or the 12th?

Tories say the 12th is better because it allows a few extra days for parliamentary business to be wrapped up (e.g. funding the Norn Iron Nrn Irn Bru civil service) and making sure the polling stations have time to get everything in order. Not actually lies, but ungenerous to how quickly things can get done if they need to.

Opposition argument is that the 9th helps make sure more students are still on campus and thus less likely to be inadvertently disenfranchised because of confusion over where they are/should be registered.

It's probably not that there's really much in it, but it sort of evolved into a desire for doing a success in Parliament.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Thom12255 posted:

It's (mostly) after the end of exams which was the whole issue of getting uni students to vote.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Thom12255 posted:

unfortunately 9th vs 12th would not have changed that as both are exam season

but this is why if you are a student you should probably spread the word to all around to register for a postal vote ahead of the election

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Steve2911 posted:

Why would you stir a pasta bake?

Some of the bacon was on the top, I don't like crispy burnt bacon. Or the burnt bits of pasta you get if they stick up above the sauce all the time. And the crispy top comes from putting cheese on it in the last 15 minutes, not the pasta itself.

My crappy culinary skills aside, does that mean this is the last vote for Bercow? Or will BoJo try to ram some more legislation through before Monday.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

EvilHawk posted:

It's (mostly) after the end of exams which was the whole issue of getting uni students to vote.

I expect parties on campuses will be campaigning the poo poo out of students to make sure they know where they'll be and where they should be registered.

Freshers who have no idea what's going on will be mostly hosed.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
oh and for what it is worth, tons of students leave before the real end of term anyway so i do not believe 9th vs. 12th really mattered outside of posturing

attendance for last week lectures and seminars is always piss because most students gently caress off home

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

jBrereton posted:

It would be really, really funny if it didn't, though.

Oh definitely, and I really shouldn't have been quite so certain about the Bill definitely passing because of course we live in the MAXIMUM CHAOS timeline.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I registered to vote abroad today - my vote is counted in my old Edinburgh seat so I guess I'm voting SNP.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
lol great job everyone, simply fantastic

https://twitter.com/cath_haddon/status/1189275097397374977

e: burp the act itself stipulates the next May

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Steve2911 posted:

I expect parties on campuses will be campaigning the poo poo out of students to make sure they know where they'll be and where they should be registered.

every fresher that's in halls will have had a "register to vote" letter from the local council waiting for them as soon as they moved in

(and a threatening letter from TV licensing too)

I mean we've literally just had a vote for an election not under the terms of the FTPA pass the HoC

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Thom12255 posted:

It's going to suck for everyone and I wonder if any of the opposition parties are going to attempt to capitalise on this because of all of the gung-ho language from the Tories about wanting an election. It's probably unlikely to work, at least on people you want it to work on, but it's an interesting possibility for doorstepping...

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Ms Adequate posted:

Great rundown

Cheers!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
438-20, who knew the CUKs had so many friends?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

438-20, who knew the CUKs had so many friends?

That's like what 140~ Labour MPs in the positive? Sounds like SNP and LibDems abstained

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Disappointing.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Here we, here we, here we loving go!

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Ms Fuchi posted:

Why does it matter whether it's the 9th or the 12th?

Just looked it up, the De Pfeffel has been PM for 97 days. 44 days to the 12th of december, so that puts him in third shortest ever place. 9th/12th doesn't change that, so there goes that theory.

Fake Edit: Anna Soubry! (yeah, yeah, yeah and groans in the background)

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

tory/brexit/dup coalition gearing up to gently caress your christmas

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
lmao Soubry

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Any food scientists here willing to explain why, despite being nearly identical to all other meals made from potatoes, waffles are by far superior?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
At least this will be the last time we hear Anna Soubry in the Commons.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Ratjaculation posted:

Any food scientists here willing to explain why, despite being nearly identical to all other meals made from potatoes, waffles are by far superior?

The holes allow far greater crispiness per unit of measure than any other potato product.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Ratjaculation posted:

Higher surface area to innards ratio. Also why crinkle cut chips are better than straight cut.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Steve2911 posted:

Sure, but what about regarding the election? :v:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ratjaculation posted:

It's a chip matrix. Multidimensional chip array. You can add a dimension by putting two one either side of a dairylea cheese slice. If you like cheesy chips you should do this.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Mike Gapes asking what might happen to the staff of members who don't come back after the 12th, which is both extremely lolworthy but also strangely sweet.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Ratjaculation posted:

As well as the heretofore stated compelling arguments about surface area, waffles are also normally more seasoned than other freezer borne potato treats.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Mike Gapes asking what might happen to the staff of members who don't come back after the 12th, which is both extremely lolworthy but also strangely sweet.
Gotta make sure that Angela Smith's husband keeps that sweet parliamentary researcher job even if she loses her seat!

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
waffles are SWEET YOU FUCKS THEY'RE NOT loving POTATOES WHAT IS WRFONG WITH YOUR HELL NATION

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
anyone else hoping labour get a majority mostly just to say " i loving told you so" at people?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

CoolCab posted:

waffles are SWEET YOU FUCKS THEY'RE NOT loving POTATOES WHAT IS WRFONG WITH YOUR HELL NATION

for someone who apparently speaks english its odd you're so confused at 1 word having multiple meanings

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

CoolCab posted:

Excuse me they are waffly versatile

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Jose posted:

for someone who apparently speaks english

easily the nicest thing anyone's ever said of me

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

CoolCab posted:

It is the consensus of the british + irish that waffles are mostly potato waffles, ie

Even if we understand other people have their own ideas.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Lmaooooooo

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1189277558208188416?s=21

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

kustomkarkommando posted:

Excuse me they are waffly versatile

Can we get a trigger warning going for stuff that is likely to cause a jingle to be stuck in the heads of the more aged members of this forum please?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

127 Labour MPs voting for an election with 234 voting earlier in the day for the creasey amendment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

ey yo, tell our people to tool up, we got a world to win