Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

euphronius posted:

Obviously do not commit fraud. You should not commit fraud

Finally some legal advice, tho could you tell me the opposite? It'd just make my life a it easier tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I go to war every day against my employer, and the upstairs toilet is my battlefield

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

blarzgh posted:

I go to war every day against my employer, and the upstairs toilet is my battlefield

It is your solemn duty as an hourly employee to poo poo on the clock at work.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hoshi posted:

Finally some legal advice, tho could you tell me the opposite? It'd just make my life a it easier tia

Do not commit statutory crimes, that is my advice

Or even common law crimes should they exist in your territory

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

euphronius posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbOtyWTRZ_g

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

euphronius posted:

What about novel crimes?
If you commit a heretofore unknown and un-defined "bad thing" could you get "you got away with it this time. now we wrote a law saying its a crime. don't do it again?"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

toplitzin posted:

What about novel crimes?
If you commit a heretofore unknown and un-defined "bad thing" could you get "you got away with it this time. now we wrote a law saying its a crime. don't do it again?"

In America the government can’t go back in time and make something that wasn’t a crime a crime .

However you are probably committing a tort so you know beware about civil liability

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

toplitzin posted:

What about novel crimes?

This is the provenance of the vast majority of criminal statutes.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Devor posted:

Company policy: women can take 6 weeks of maternity leave if they intend to return to work afterwards. There is no clawback provision if she doesn't return to work

Woman: yeah I intend to return to work
Woman: gives birth
Woman: oh noooo it turns out I love my child and I'm going to stay at home until she's 3 years old. Thanks for the maternity leave, it's why I decided to work at CVS instead of Sweatshop Pharmacy where I could have earned a higher hourly rate

That's not fraud, that's taking advantage of your benefits, and everyone should do it. If your company has paternity leave and the father is going to be a stay-at-home dad he should make use of that policy in the same way.

This is 100% a good strategy, the only reason I even mentioned the whole going back to work for a bit thing is the guy and wife were worried about burning bridges. Unfortunately you can’t have it both ways, so either gamble your bridge by quitting immediately before returning or work or give appropriate notice and gamble your benefit instead. This is not that complicated of a situation. It’s up to OPs wife to determine individual risk.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Hoshi posted:

I give you permission to commit freud

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

EwokEntourage posted:

I give you permission to commit freud

Tell me about your mother.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Tell me about your mother.

she quit her job while on maternity leave and now that company won't hire people with oedipus complexes anymore :(

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Electra complex

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

there's a difference between "company might break the law by discriminating against women" and "company voluntarily offers a benefit, and might decide to rescind that benefit because employees abused it." Even if the benefit being offered was one that was intended to reduce or eliminate discrimination.

FMLA requires unpaid time off offered by larger companies. A paid policy being offered by this company is voluntary; if they decide to terminate that policy, is it "discriminating against women?" Maybe, I'm not sure, especially if the policy is offered to all employees and not just women.

But really the argument boils down to, if you abuse a company policy's intent while still following its letter, you might not be breaking the law but you might be encouraging the company to change its policy, and that could affect other people down the road. That's not "victim blaming" so much as pointing out that just because the company says "use as much office supplies as you want" means you can totally take home truckloads of office supplies the day before you quit, if you do that, you might not get prosecuted for theft but you can bet the company's at least considering putting a lock on the office supplies cabinet and is gonna start being a dick to all the employees about taking more post-it notes than their monthly quota.

I am not taking a position as to whether quitting right after taking paid leave is abuse, but that does seem to be the crux of the debate. One side may argue that it's not abuse and in fact is part of the intention of such policies, which is interesting to me; "give me time off to care for my infant so I don't just quit" vs. "give me time off to care for my infant and also decide if I want to come back to work or not after" both seem like things employees could demand of employers, with reasons in favor of them.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 29, 2019

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
State: Michigan
County: Oakland

Question/Issue: I've been dating my girlfriend for 4 years now. Her ex-husband is out of the picture due to a court order removing visitation (he NEVER had any custody) until he gets a court ordered psych-eval which he will never do, due to Religious circumstances.

In a court of law at the visitation hearing they asked him to swear to God and he said "What God? Your God? Who's God am I swearing to?" and he wouldn't do it. So the judge told him any of his testimony is invalid and instantly removed visitation and implemented non-contact pending psych-eval. This is just to let you know the depths of the person we're dealing with here. He took his family out of this country to Taiwan because America was unholy. He essentially kept them there out of fear until my girlfriend saw his behavior was getting worse and worse and arranged a secret escape with the locals to fly to China where her parents had bodyguards waiting to fly her home. It's like a loving Lifetime movie. That decision came down not long after he was physically abusing our daughter. His views are of the “I don’t believe in modern medicine” the kind that would try to pray cancer away. There are a ton of wacky fun-time shenanigans those 3 kids had to suffer under because his god was more important than his family and children.

ANYHOO, if more details on that are needed please let me know, because if it helps the below I will gladly offer it.

We want to get his parental rights completely severed, so I can adopt them. This is for family unity, and protection. I'm marrying her ASAP to begin this process.
The downside is this. Even though he has 0 custody and never has. Even though he has visitation suspended barring a psych eval he’ll never take. He still occasionally pays child support. Inconsistenly, not always the full amount (he owes over $5,000 is arrears) She actually told the courts she would take a lesser amount because she knew he couldn’t afford what the court ordered, and he can’t even afford that. Honestly I think he uses the sporadic payments as a form of control.

Everytime he sends money it accompanies a voicemail in which he tells he to get back to reading the scriptures because she is an adultery and is making me an adulterer (he still believes they are married in the eyes of God even though a legal divorce was served)

The lawyer I talked to said because he’s still paying some form of child support it will be next to impossible to get his rights severed. I have to believe there is a way. For the kids sake which in my opinion is the loving point of everything. There just has to be a way. :(

We're hoping that if we are before the judge that knows this case very well due to all of his bullshit, that she might help us out here. That is my plan.

Any hope here at all? Or is this useless?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
If I tell you that your lawyer is wrong and you shouldn't listen to them, will that make you feel better?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Also, I'm trying to figure this out:

He cannot see the children, cannot go near them, but still pays child support, so you want to make it so that he cannot see them, cannot go near them, but no longer pays child support?

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?
So I can adopt them as my own. Yes. Just to cement if anything happened to her he wouldn't have 1% of an opportunity to have anything to do with them.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Or are you wanting to terminate his rights but still collect child support. That's a no go in most jurisdictions. Child support obligations are gone in most places with termination of rights.

If you want to terminate his rights, then get his child support obligation terminated as well.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

E: serves me right for not reading the whole thread, feel free to disregard

Leperflesh posted:

there's a difference between "company might break the law by discriminating against women" and "company voluntarily offers a benefit, and might decide to rescind that benefit because employees abused it." Even if the benefit being offered was one that was intended to reduce or eliminate discrimination.

FMLA requires unpaid time off offered by larger companies. A paid policy being offered by this company is voluntary; if they decide to terminate that policy, is it "discriminating against women?" Maybe, I'm not sure, especially if the policy is offered to all employees and not just women.

But really the argument boils down to, if you abuse a company policy's intent while still following its letter, you might not be breaking the law but you might be encouraging the company to change its policy, and that could affect other people down the road.

I am not taking a position as to whether quitting right after taking paid leave is abuse, but that does seem to be the crux of the debate. One side may argue that it's not abuse and in fact is part of the intention of such policies, which is interesting to me; "give me time off to care for my infant so I don't just quit" vs. "give me time off to care for my infant and also decide if I want to come back to work or not after" both seem like things employees could demand of employers, with reasons in favor of them.

I will go so far as to state that any intent of a corporate policy that isn't stated in letter doesn't exist. Supreme Court judgements aside, corporations are not people and they don't have intent the way people have it. What they do have, however, are teams of people whose job is solely to figure out ways to communicate rules and policies in clear, unambiguous terms. If they haven't outlined something as restricted, it's not restricted. If they wanted to restrict it, they are more than capable of communicating what is restricted. This bullshit about letter but not intent only allows companies to have it both ways and attract/retain workers partly with benefits that they then deny arbitrarily, because you should just know that these sick days are offered to you as a benefit but if you take all of them you'll be written up.

Fraud is fraud, but employers who take adverse action over perceived abuses of intent instead of, oh, I dunno, clarifying what is and isn't restricted are completely in the wrong. Claiming that all these people following the rules and using their benefits as outlined made those poor companies have to take things away is false and shifts blame to an already disadvantaged group.

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 29, 2019

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Comfortador posted:

Movie plot or your typical family law case, interchangable really

Mr Nice is right that you're probably not going to get his rights terminated while he has to keep paying support. The attorney you talked to is probably right.

This is the kind of case where you hire a solid family law attorney and listen to them.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Does a divorce court have jurisdiction to terminate parental rights?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

joat mon posted:

In Texas, anything under the Family Code goes in the same Court.

But Guardianships are Probate Court which doesn't make sense . Its like, the same thing?!?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

joat mon posted:

In Florida, yes, because both fall under the jurisdiction of family law courts.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?
This is correct here as well, it's all under Family court. We don't want his money. We want him not associated with those kids ever again, and if he some day does grow a loving brain and tries to game the system, we don't want him being able to do that and get his hands on those kids again. We just want a 0% chance he can somehow ever try to get into their lives again.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Then it seems like the question you should ask your attorney is how to get his child support terminated so you can get his rights terminated. There is likely a procedure to do this even if it is contested, and the fact that you’re ready and willing to adopt will probably help the process.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

joat mon posted:

I'm sure it depends on your...jurisdiction, but in Louisiana both of them are in family court (if you live in parish with a family court, which unless you live in East Baton Rouge Parish, you don't) or in civil district court (the other 63 parishes). In both cases the court with jurisdiction over divorce can also terminate parental rights.

e;f,b.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arcturas posted:

If this

Why not this?

because fraud is illegal.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Arcturas posted:

Why not this?
Because your employer is likely to catch you and you will get in trouble for it. Literally the only reason.

If you're not stealing from your employer, you're stealing from your family.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

Mr. Nice! posted:

Then it seems like the question you should ask your attorney is how to get his child support terminated so you can get his rights terminated. There is likely a procedure to do this even if it is contested, and the fact that you’re ready and willing to adopt will probably help the process.

Okay thats the direction I'll go in. Once we're married I can get them on my insurance which is a big thing too since they are on state assisted insurance, which is part of the reason he has to pay child support. I feel like Lloyd in Dumb and Dumber... "so you're saying there's a chance...." hah.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
The correct way to read your corporate employee handbook:

If there's not a policy preventing you from doing it, gently caress em. CVS HR has a dozen people who had the chance to write a draconian maternity policy and they didn't. It's part of your compensation package.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Devor posted:

If there's not a policy preventing you from doing it, gently caress em. CVS HR has a dozen people who had the chance to write a draconian maternity policy and they didn't. It's part of your compensation package.
I don't think anyone in the thread knows this to be true.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Mr. Nice! posted:

This is true, but I encourage you to also explain to your attorney (assuming you haven't already) your ultimate goal, i.e. tell your attorney this:

Comfortador posted:

We want him not associated with those kids ever again, and if he some day does grow a loving brain and tries to game the system, we don't want him being able to do that and get his hands on those kids again. We just want a 0% chance he can somehow ever try to get into their lives again.

It's always better to tell your attorney all facts and clearly explain what you want. Don't assume you know what the next step should be or limit information given to your attorney based on your own assumptions. Parsing all that is their job.

(not addressing this to you, Mr. Nice, it's just a PSA for current and potential clients)

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

twodot posted:

I don't think anyone in the thread knows this to be true.

If they can claw the money back then what the gently caress are we talking about

The hypothetical is about an employee who has a choice to exercise maternity leave, even though they have a feeling that they are violating the "spirit" of maternity leave and hurt the feelings of the $58B corporate entity known as CVS

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

Because your employer is likely to catch you and you will get in trouble for it. Literally the only reason.

If you're not stealing from your employer, you're stealing from your family.

What if your employer is just one big happy family

Then you are stealing from your family

You loving monster

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Devor posted:

If they can claw the money back then what the gently caress are we talking about

The hypothetical is about an employee who has a choice to exercise maternity leave, even though they have a feeling that they are violating the "spirit" of maternity leave and hurt the feelings of the $58B corporate entity known as CVS
I mean vested benefits are a thing, I'm not saying this is for sure one of those cases, but I don't see excluding it given the facts we have.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I am currently pregnant with the hamburger I ate for Lunch and will be taking 40 minutes of pooternity leave from this thread

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I didn't realize his wife worked at CVS. Just look in the HR manual for what happens to leave when you quit, and if it's paid out, just quit and collect your leave.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

incogneato posted:

This is true, but I encourage you to also explain to your attorney (assuming you haven't already) your ultimate goal, i.e. tell your attorney this:

It's always better to tell your attorney all facts and clearly explain what you want. Don't assume you know what the next step should be or limit information given to your attorney based on your own assumptions. Parsing all that is their job.

(not addressing this to you, Mr. Nice, it's just a PSA for current and potential clients)

Thank you, that is good advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

joat mon posted:

In PA yes

They won’t tho unless someone else is adopting