Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Beachcomber posted:

They Live is a fantastic movie, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't think it was overripe for a remake. The zeitgeist is primed.
There's supposedly a film version of Stephen King's "The Ten O'Clock People" in the works and it's a total rip off, so that might have to do :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

oldpainless posted:

In The Thing (1982) when everyone comes out of their rooms in a big rush one of the dudes is naked from the waist down. The Thing is such a great movie.

More like olpantsless, amirite? :haw:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Pilchenstein posted:

There's supposedly a film version of Stephen King's "The Ten O'Clock People" in the works and it's a total rip off, so that might have to do :v:

That’s the one about cigarette smokers saving humanity right?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Torquemada posted:

That’s the one about cigarette smokers saving humanity right?
Specifically smokers who are trying to quit so they only have a little nicotine in their system as I recall, but yeah :v:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Beachcomber posted:

I mean, the posters are pretty explicit.

They Live is a fantastic movie, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't think it was overripe for a remake. The zeitgeist is primed.

Wouldn’t Society be a bit more apt? They’d need to work in some wrasslers though.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

oldpainless posted:

In The Thing (1982) when everyone comes out of their rooms in a big rush one of the dudes is naked from the waist down. The Thing is such a great movie.

The video game wasn't half bad either except they hosed up the blood testing kits and the whole "who's a thing?" element that was the central element to any fear or tension. Scripted scenes made people turn into Things whether you tested them or not. I wish they'd make a sequel to it and do it right this time but I don't think it sold well.

Man...I need to watch this movie again. It's been a minute and drat it's good.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

BiggerBoat posted:

The video game wasn't half bad either except they hosed up the blood testing kits and the whole "who's a thing?" element that was the central element to any fear or tension. Scripted scenes made people turn into Things whether you tested them or not. I wish they'd make a sequel to it and do it right this time but I don't think it sold well.

Man...I need to watch this movie again. It's been a minute and drat it's good.

The video game lost me when it became a cover shooter with a bunch of gun toting henchmen and some rear end in a top hat who wanted to become immortal with The Thing cells.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
I've posted this before, but it's my all time favourite horror movie since it's pretty much the only one I can think of that doesn't have any gently caress-ups. So many horror movies have parts where you just go "what the gently caress are you doing! Run!" or whatever, but that movie doesn't have any. Can you guys think of any other horror movies that are similar in the "characters aren't huge gently caress ups" sense?

I recently watched Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the one from the 70s) and it had a few of those, (your friends went for a swim in the afternoon and it's getting dark, and the other guy you sent to look for them disappeared? Let's go look for them!) but I do have to admire the one girl's willingness to just nope out and jump through a window on the second floor.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Cabin in the woods, once the twist is revealed.

Hell House was pretty good about it. Weird poo poo happens, but nothing like TOO WEIRD, and it's all just written off as dudes being jerks and then OH poo poo GOT REAL.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

beanieson posted:

Yeah, name one other thing

I can name two.

:parrot:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Warbird posted:

Wouldn’t Society be a bit more apt? They’d need to work in some wrasslers though.

Society is a great movie, but it doesn't have the extreme income inequality or tent cities which will be popping up soon.

In Society, they just sort of run everything, whereas in They Live it's clear that the 'They' showed up and began leeching off humanity, and that it wasn't always this way.

I also think that we are waaayyy overdue for a V remake, what with the rise of fascism again.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Cabin in the woods, once the twist is revealed.

Hell House was pretty good about it. Weird poo poo happens, but nothing like TOO WEIRD, and it's all just written off as dudes being jerks and then OH poo poo GOT REAL.

Yeah, I like the stoner character basically loving up an eons long plan to save humanity, because all the ganja prevents him from being afflicted by the stupefying drugs.

Andohz
Aug 15, 2004

World's Strongest Smelly Hobo

Beachcomber posted:

I also think that we are waaayyy overdue for a V remake, what with the rise of fascism again.

About that... I have no idea if it was any good.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Ardent Communist posted:

I recently watched Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the one from the 70s) and it had a few of those, (your friends went for a swim in the afternoon and it's getting dark, and the other guy you sent to look for them disappeared? Let's go look for them!) but I do have to admire the one girl's willingness to just nope out and jump through a window on the second floor.

A woman jumping through a second story window is in almost every single Texas Chainsaw Massacre film, remakes, prequels and all.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

A woman jumping through a second story window is in almost every single Texas Chainsaw Massacre film, remakes, prequels and all.

It better be the same woman every time, each time getting better and better at it. In the original she breaks her legs and has to crawl away, in the last one she does a badass combat roll and sprints off.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Andohz posted:

I kinda liked it. Except the one of the main characters was god awful (the son). But then they were cancelled so they went gently caress it, and killed him off. The last few episodes were pretty wild with them deciding to do whatever they wanted with the characters.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

BioEnchanted posted:

It better be the same woman every time, each time getting better and better at it. In the original she breaks her legs and has to crawl away, in the last one she does a badass combat roll and sprints off.

Unfortunately no, the only time they used a character in more than one movie was if they were part of the Sawyer/Hewitt family. Basically the heroine of each one would jump through a second-story window by the beginning of the third act. Dead Meat did a supercut of them all in one of their TCM episodes and it's hilarious.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Andohz posted:

It was not. They didn't really understand what was good about the original.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Beachcomber posted:

It was not. They didn't really understand what was good about the original.

Didn’t it also end on a cliffhanger?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Didn’t it also end on a cliffhanger?

Massive. Iirc, all of humanity was sort of mind controlled.

Beachcomber has a new favorite as of 23:44 on Oct 31, 2019

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

oldpainless posted:

I've probably watched that film at least once a year for the past 15 years and it took till I saw it in an actual cinema to realise Copper has a nose ring, which is a neat little character touch. That film does a great job of characterising everyone without relying on explicit backstory.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The only dumb thing they do in The Thing is when they all split up at the end.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Accordion Man posted:

The only dumb thing they do in The Thing is when they all split up at the end.

I dunno man, here's an excerpt from Eberts review:

"This time, though, despite some roughed-out typecasting and a few reliable stereotypes (the drunk, the psycho, the hero), he has populated his ice station with people whose primary purpose in life is to get jumped on from behind. The few scenes that develop characterizations are overwhelmed by the scenes in which the men are just setups for an attack by the Thing.

That leads us to the second problem, plausibility. We know that the Thing likes to wait until a character is alone, and then pounce, digest, and imitate him--by the time you see Doc again, is he still Doc, or is he the Thing? Well, the obvious defense against this problem is a watertight buddy system, but, time and time again, Carpenter allows his characters to wander off alone and come back with silly grins on their faces, until we've lost count of who may have been infected, and who hasn't. That takes the fun away."

mortal
Oct 12, 2012
Don't we know about the Thing before the characters do? Do they still go off alone before the end, but after they realize what's happening? Not that Ebert's wrong if they don't - he may just not like the dramatic irony of the audience knowing the character might now be an imposter.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Ebert's got the rlm thing going on. He was great mostly because he was entertaining not because he's good at movies.

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

The guy did review over 10,000 movies, he didn't get everything right.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Milo and POTUS posted:

Ebert's got the rlm thing going on. He was great mostly because he was entertaining not because he's good at movies.

He won a Pulitzer for specifically writing about movies.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I tend to put the Thing in the same category as Glengarry Glen Ross and Reservoir Dogs as films that have an entirely male cast and are about toxic masculinity.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Olaf The Stout posted:

They just give those away

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Being prolific doesn't always mean proficient.

For example, I myself have made many Posts

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Ebert really could be jaw-droppingly stupid.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Noooo

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Sunswipe posted:

Ebert really could be jaw-droppingly stupid.

ah gently caress

I can't believe you've done this

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Olaf The Stout posted:

That Pulitzer win was worth it just for that dunk he made on Rob Schneider with it.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

if no one else is going to post it

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Peanut Butler posted:

if no one else is going to post it

citizen kane rules

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Nothing is ever gonna get me like writing down "this guy wasn't smart. He tried to explain something for me for multiple hours but I just kept saying I didn't get it" and thinking you really came off looking good there.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
lol ted rall

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Krinkle posted:

Nothing is ever gonna get me like writing down "this guy wasn't smart. He tried to explain something for me for multiple hours but I just kept saying I didn't get it" and thinking you really came off looking good there.

But that's not what he's saying, at least in that comic (I don't know if this guy's full discussion with Ebert is written about anywhere else).

Guy: Citizen Kane is boring, and is unwatchable now
Ebert: You're wrong.
Guy: Ok, why am I wrong?
Ebert: It's historically significant.
Guy: I'm not saying it's not, I just think it's boring and unwatchable.
Ebert: Well, you're wrong.
.... And the whole thing goes on again and again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

But that's not what he's saying, at least in that comic (I don't know if this guy's full discussion with Ebert is written about anywhere else).

Guy: Citizen Kane is boring, and is unwatchable now
Ebert: You're wrong.
Guy: Ok, why am I wrong?
Ebert: It's historically significant.
Guy: I'm not saying it's not, I just think it's boring and unwatchable.
Ebert: Well, you're wrong.
.... And the whole thing goes on again and again.

given ted rall in general it is extremely likely you're giving him way too much credit