Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

prom candy posted:

There's people online talking about garaging their Civic Si for winter

LMAO seriously? Like I kind of get it my 73 Fiat spider sits in a garage over winter but that's because it has no problem breaking down sitting still I don't need to add rust to it.
I take care of my vehicles but sometimes I think people go too far. It's meant to be driven and enjoyed? I thought modern cars had really good rust protection too these days it's not like Mazda 3s or early 2000s Dodge trucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I garage my Subaru wagon in the winter :shobon:

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

I garage my cars every night I don't see what the big deal is. :confused:

:v:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
wtf is winter :confused:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

BrownieVK posted:

I thought modern cars had really good rust protection too these days it's not like Mazda 3s or early 2000s Dodge trucks.
Depends heavily on the car and region. Nothing escapes Northeastern US rust. If I ever got my hands on a 2011+ STI hatchback I'd probably garage it in the winter.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KakerMix posted:

A miserable little pile of snow

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Drove a 2019 Buick Regal Sportback. It’s kinda a shame domestic passenger cars are on the way out...it’s a pretty nice riding and quiet car. It’s attractive inside and out. It hustles as well. Probably the only complaint is that the steering/chassis is somewhat dull, but that’s expected I suppose.

Also drove a 2019 Corolla Hatch. By modern standards it’s pretty good looking, has a decent interior and has pretty good steering/chassis. I’ll echo the complaints about the power though - the car is very slow, slower than the Mazda 3 that is also in my family (which also drives better and looks better, plus has a better interior).

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KakerMix posted:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

What kind of hell world has frozen water fall from the sky????

Apparently this thing called rain exists as well....?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

drgitlin posted:

The day before I got there, another journalist did a 10.9 iirc. The best I could manage was an 11.49 but my best reaction time was still 1.2 seconds. The car does literally everything else.

It’s bloody good on track though. I don’t personally miss having a stick shift because it just means you left-foot brake everywhere instead.
Maybe I'm old now, but I just don't see the point of the GT500. It's too much power for the street and there are better, faster, cheaper, and all of the above at once options for drag strip and track. And that's coming from a die-hard Mustang driver. Bullitt? Hell yes. GT500? Meh.

AKA buying a used C7Z which is gonna be a better daily and faster around a track.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

What kind of hell world has frozen water fall from the sky????

Apparently this thing called rain exists as well....?

I'd really hate it if I had to do any sort of regular commute to work or something, but it's fun when you're just going out to grab pastries and coffee on your midweek days off! It's not exactly a ton of snow, but I'm impressed with how it's handling it. Modern traction control and stability control systems do some magic.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

ilkhan posted:

Maybe I'm old now, but I just don't see the point of the GT500. It's too much power for the street and there are better, faster, cheaper, and all of the above at once options for drag strip and track. And that's coming from a die-hard Mustang driver. Bullitt? Hell yes. GT500? Meh.

AKA buying a used C7Z which is gonna be a better daily and faster around a track.

Because it's 150 better than the G350. Duh. There's historical context to the GT500 name as well.

I agree with you though, I found the EcoBoost Mustang I rented to be plenty powerful for driving on public roads. The 5.0 would be a tad more fun of course, but as someone else getting older a car like a GT500/Hellcat just scares the poo poo out of me.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

KakerMix posted:

The thing that most states that aren't constantly on fire experience :v:

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

ilkhan posted:

skipdogg posted:

Because it's 150 better than the G350. Duh. There's historical context to the GT500 name as well.

I agree with you though, I found the EcoBoost Mustang I rented to be plenty powerful for driving on public roads. The 5.0 would be a tad more fun of course, but as someone else getting older a car like a GT500/Hellcat just scares the poo poo out of me.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

OK, I tugged them. What now?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

KakerMix posted:

It's the fun part of the year!

I mean as long as it actually snows, and not just cold, wet and miserable 90% of the time
:negative:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

fknlo posted:

I'm not one to talk though as my S2000 sits under a cover from like November to April.

Garaging a RWD convertible that they don't make anymore makes a lot more sense than garaging a ubiquitous FWD econobox with power and handling upgrades.

edit: also gently caress winter it's awful and since we can play hockey indoors year round there's no reason for it to exist

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I get like 80% thumbs up and 20% scowls for driving my car year round.

You can probably guess how old the scowls are. Usually in vehicles that lose more a month in depreciation than my car cost.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

KakerMix posted:

Dunno, I think it is a very short period that happens between years long droughts, from what I have heard.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

You Am I posted:

Dunno, I think it is a very short period that happens between years long droughts, from what I have heard.

wtf is a drought :v:

I have yet to see one of those new Gladiators that doesn't look cheap.
Either tasteless cheap or legit looks inexpensively made cheap.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 30, 2019

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Driving a RWD car with good snow tires around in the winter is unironically some of the most fun you can have on public roads.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Paradoxish posted:

Driving a RWD car with good snow tires around in the winter is unironically some of the most fun you can have on public roads.

If you aren’t listening to the Initial D soundtrack while drifting around corners at 10 mph after the first decent snowfall are you even a midwestern AI goon?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Huge_Midget posted:

If you aren’t listening to the Initial D soundtrack while drifting around corners at 10 mph after the first decent snowfall are you even a midwestern AI goon?

Speaking of Initial D, I found out the 88 Soarer we just got has a speed chime that kicks on at 105 kph. 66 mph.

ding ding

ding ding

ding ding

ding ding

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Huge_Midget posted:

Is classic rap acceptable in this situation???

:ohdear:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

My wife used mine to make a baby, so they're currently indisposed. Sorry. 😁

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

ilkhan posted:

My wife used mine to make a baby, so they're currently indisposed. Sorry. 😁

That's not how you get pregnant.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Elephanthead posted:

That's not how you get pregnant.
I was trying to be polite. We made a baby and said balls are currently empty from our ongoing celebration of that news.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Powershift posted:

I get like 80% thumbs up and 20% scowls for driving my car year round.

You can probably guess how old the scowls are. Usually in vehicles that lose more a month in depreciation than my car cost.
Whenever I am going through Red Deer (it's never a destination) I always try to keep an eye open for your Lincoln. One of these days I hope to be successful :3:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

People who think pickup trucks should only have V8s should spend some time behind the wheel of a 3.5L Ecoboost-equipped F-150. You lose the V8 burble, but get an engine that feels beastly as hell.

The only downside is fuel economy that falls off a cliff above 65 mph. I averaged 23-24 mpg as long as I kept it under 65, but could barely get 20 mpg when cruising at 75-80 mph, even when using cruise control.

Also took me awhile to disable auto stop/start because I thought it would be buried in the cluster display settings. Nope.......there's a big ole button on the center dash above the touch screen.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Frond posted:

Also drove a 2019 Corolla Hatch. By modern standards it’s pretty good looking, has a decent interior and has pretty good steering/chassis. I’ll echo the complaints about the power though - the car is very slow, slower than the Mazda 3 that is also in my family (which also drives better and looks better, plus has a better interior).

The hybrid fixes that for fairly low speed usage - it feels like a much more powerful car around town.

I love the Mazda3 but for me it’s gotten too style focused and impractical - I can just live with the low door openings, small windows and awkward shaped trunk in my previous shape 3 but the current one is just a step too far. That’s a real shame too as it looks great inside and out.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

People who think pickup trucks should only have V8s should spend some time behind the wheel of a 3.5L Ecoboost-equipped F-150. You lose the V8 burble, but get an engine that feels beastly as hell.

The only downside is fuel economy that falls off a cliff above 65 mph. I averaged 23-24 mpg as long as I kept it under 65, but could barely get 20 mpg when cruising at 75-80 mph, even when using cruise control.

Also took me awhile to disable auto stop/start because I thought it would be buried in the cluster display settings. Nope.......there's a big ole button on the center dash above the touch screen.
I sometimes turn on sport mode and then manually *re-enable* start/stop. I'm bad.

But yeah, speed *kills* mileage.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

dissss posted:

The hybrid fixes that for fairly low speed usage - it feels like a much more powerful car around town.

I love the Mazda3 but for me it’s gotten too style focused and impractical - I can just live with the low door openings, small windows and awkward shaped trunk in my previous shape 3 but the current one is just a step too far. That’s a real shame too as it looks great inside and out.

I'm a huge Mazda fanboy/apologist but tbh Mazda just makes cars for automotive journalists to wank off to anymore.

And they're right.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
My sister just got a 2012 Mazda 3 last year and it's a sweet little car. I don't really like the newer ones.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I have a 2012 Mazdaspeed3 and I love it. Though I'm strongly considering swapping it, in the future, for a new 3 Hatch + sportbike because the new 3 looks so slick.

That is, unless Mazda changes their mind and makes a new Mazdaspeed. :pray:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

In my experience, the EB is slower than the 5.0 in the real world. Most people must run regular instead of premium in theirs because in both online reviews and in real life, my 5.0 is faster from a stop. In addition the 5.0 gets better fuel economy while towing as well as better reliability. The EB has problems with the turbos failing, the studs failing, and the throttle bodies failing. This is my third ford and they all have idiotic problems from the factory, I'm not sure I'd trust ford to do a turbo setup that's reliable and long-lasting. The only failure I've seen on a 5.0 is the timing chain eating through the cover at 200k miles, something even the 22R does.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Paradoxish posted:

Add in an LSD and we have a deal

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BloodBag posted:

In my experience, the EB is slower than the 5.0 in the real world. Most people must run regular instead of premium in theirs because in both online reviews and in real life, my 5.0 is faster from a stop. In addition the 5.0 gets better fuel economy while towing as well as better reliability. The EB has problems with the turbos failing, the studs failing, and the throttle bodies failing. This is my third ford and they all have idiotic problems from the factory, I'm not sure I'd trust ford to do a turbo setup that's reliable and long-lasting. The only failure I've seen on a 5.0 is the timing chain eating through the cover at 200k miles, something even the 22R does.

Ten years from now mechanics are going to be raking in cash when all these new turbo engines are out of warranty.

You can have the turbos, I'll take a N/A motor for the reliability and simplicity over a couple miles per gallon.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
the new cottage industry of cleaning DI intake gunk

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah that too. I was reading a review about the 2016 Infinity QX50 because I kinda like them (dependable cheapish RWD wagon, 300+ HP) and they were ragging on it because it didn't have direct injection yet....I was like lol that's a selling point for me :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Turbo cars are amazing at real altitude, you feel no loss at all.