Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I hope theres a boss later that's the sword and martini guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
I have collected several notes from this thread.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Is playing on kongregate the recommended place to play NGU Idle?

Also I just completed by lvl 100 cheese set, but I can’t even survive in The Sky let alone idle it. Should I pump up my adventure stats with exp or should I pump magic/energy power?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

play on Steam, and energy cap/magic cap is probably the more efficient investment at that stage

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Is the ngu Kong file save broken on Kong or just for my chrome?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

The Fool posted:

play on Steam, and energy cap/magic cap is probably the more efficient investment at that stage

Ditto recommending Steam

And until you're pretty close to endgame, don't waste exp on straight adventure stats

At the point you're at, you'll probably spend a day spending energy on Advanced Training in order to push the next zone once you have your equipment boosted up decently

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Mine broke a couple of days ago with Chrome and I had to restore it from local save.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Also I just completed by lvl 100 cheese set, but I can’t even survive in The Sky let alone idle it. Should I pump up my adventure stats with exp or should I pump magic/energy power?

Katridge or Steam for me due to not relying on weird browser configurations.

Also its time to dip into Adv Training, I don't think you ever buy straight Adventure Stats with exp unless on the extreme end of the game.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

I bought the newbie pack for NGU because I'm happy to spend money to an indie game dev making something I like.

I do want my personalized insult though. :colbert:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

something posted:

I have collected several notes from this thread.

there better be an ana ng joke somewhere

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
NGU: butts bar bar when?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Please make a resource 3 NGU where the only thing you can buff is cooking.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

You may already be doing this, but don't forget to fully boost your sets too. Completing them by merging items until they're level 100 will unlock the completion bonus, and leveling up items (even before they hit 100) will raise their stat cap.

But you don't actually get those higher stats until you shove enough boosts into the items. A level 100 dongle of blimblam is no more useful in combat than a level 0 dongle of blimblam if you don't boost it.

Beyond that, consider mixing up your choice of accessories. Especially at that point in the game, some accessories are more weighted to killing things in adventure (e.g. Combat Cheese) while others to giving you energy/magic benefits.

Related note - when you see energy speed disappearing with a new tier of equipment is the game's hint that you should naturally max that out at 50, and ditto with magic speed.

Vil fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Oct 30, 2019

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
Anyone else working through sadistic feel like the gap between starting the mode and being able to progress in adventure mode is too steep? I've been working on sadistic almost since its release and I'm still probably a week or two away from having adventure stats high enough to break into back to school zone. Everything else is making decent progress, but it doesn't feel right that you can quickly unlock two whole adventure zones and a titan that you have no chance of touching for months.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Anyone else working through sadistic feel like the gap between starting the mode and being able to progress in adventure mode is too steep? I've been working on sadistic almost since its release and I'm still probably a week or two away from having adventure stats high enough to break into back to school zone. Everything else is making decent progress, but it doesn't feel right that you can quickly unlock two whole adventure zones and a titan that you have no chance of touching for months.

Yeah. Same. There's nothing for me to do but wait right now. I think it was balanced with currently-non-existent titan features in mind.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Evil was much like this when it was first released, also you are very likely nearing the hard cap for energy and magic (9e18), you are supposed to be spending EXP on adventure stats since you just phased out needing to pump EM caps.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Stupid question, but I know I need to get my ratio, but I'm just starting out with the tree, so is there any issues depending EXP to raise the caps to buy autoactiavte?

Generally I can get everything I really need to be done in a half hour, but I'm doing 1 or 2 hour runs right now so I'm at least instakill farming Titans so I think I'm low on bars, but nost of the down timespending the rest if the time raising NGU.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 30, 2019

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Is this slow advancement unique to Sadistic? I'm still in normal, but I've unlocked, Beardverse, Badly Drawn World and Boring-rear end Earth plus the related titans, but I can still barely kill UUG after 8 hours worth of advanced training, though I'm close to autokill after 24 hours.

I only have UUG's greed and magic rings, so guess I need to grind out the others and hit the NGU adventure soft cap? Or am I advancing stats the wrong way (still focused on energy with a bit of magic)?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

Stupid question, but I know I need to get my ratio, but I'm just starting out with the tree, so is there any issues depending EXP to raise the caps to buy autoactiavte?

Generally I can get everything I really need to be done in a half hour, but I'm doing 1 or 2 hour runs right now so I'm at least instakill farming Titans so I think I'm low on bars, but nost of the down timespending the rest if the time raising NGU.

So you can spreadsheet, or just us the "custom" purchase, put your current base power and cap into it this will tell you how much EXP it will cost to double your current effect energy or magic

In this example they are roughly equal but I should buy power (the one on the left) because it will be cheaper to double. You don't actually just buy double that would be very expensive! This is just to tell you what is the best bang for your buck without a spreadsheet.

You then take the cost of one of these and compare it to the cost of magic, so energy power and magic power, you balance these to your ratio. Maybe you want a 1:1, 2:1, 3:1 or 4:1, you almost certainly want your energy cap*power to be greater than your magic cap*power but don't be afraid to experiment a bit the game snowballs in EXP so while you can't unspend it, you can adjust your ratios over the course of weeks or months easy enough.

**yes you can just say gently caress the ratio I want to pump cap to get auto Ygg fruit because that's a goal that isn't really part of the general guideline I wouldn't throw your cap:power off more than a 3:1 though, I'd even say don't go over a 2:1 while stretching for this because you will be giving up progress in the NGU feature, which you should always have energy and magic in grinding towards higher and higher levels they never stop being good (at least until you hit their hardcap, which is over a year at max speed)

pixaal fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Oct 30, 2019

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

pixaal posted:

Evil was much like this when it was first released, also you are very likely nearing the hard cap for energy and magic (9e18), you are supposed to be spending EXP on adventure stats since you just phased out needing to pump EM caps.

I started on Evil shortly after its launch and could do Evilverse right off the bat.
BTS is nowhere in reach without doing a long rear end rebirth.

Also there is a hardcap on energy and magic? Im closing in on 1e18 (im assuming you mean cap) and with all that in wandoos NGU is almost pointless considering how slow it trains. How are you supposed to bb all the sadistic NGUs with just 9e18?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

pixaal posted:

So you can spreadsheet, or just us the "custom" purchase, put your current base power and cap into it this will tell you how much EXP it will cost to double your current effect energy or magic

In this example they are roughly equal but I should buy power (the one on the left) because it will be cheaper to double. You don't actually just buy double that would be very expensive! This is just to tell you what is the best bang for your buck without a spreadsheet.

You then take the cost of one of these and compare it to the cost of magic, so energy power and magic power, you balance these to your ratio. Maybe you want a 1:1, 2:1, 3:1 or 4:1, you almost certainly want your energy cap*power to be greater than your magic cap*power but don't be afraid to experiment a bit the game snowballs in EXP so while you can't unspend it, you can adjust your ratios over the course of weeks or months easy enough.

**yes you can just say gently caress the ratio I want to pump cap to get auto Ygg fruit because that's a goal that isn't really part of the general guideline I wouldn't throw your cap:power off more than a 3:1 though, I'd even say don't go over a 2:1 while stretching for this because you will be giving up progress in the NGU feature, which you should always have energy and magic in grinding towards higher and higher levels they never stop being good (at least until you hit their hardcap, which is over a year at max speed)

I'll do that when I get home, my goal right now is to kind of hit the autoactivate for pomegranate (2 million magic) so I can get a decent seed farm going and then start to rebalance my stats.

Roughly I think I'll have hit that with buffed stats tonight, maybe base stats as well.

My energy cap is somewhere unbuffed around 3 million, but buffed is somewhere in the 5 million range

Not sure on the power stats

I'm wearing mostly the Jake set right now, so my power and cap stats have some inflation compared to the base stats.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 30, 2019

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Ineptitude posted:

I started on Evil shortly after its launch and could do Evilverse right off the bat.
BTS is nowhere in reach without doing a long rear end rebirth.

Also there is a hardcap on energy and magic? Im closing in on 1e18 (im assuming you mean cap) and with all that in wandoos NGU is almost pointless considering how slow it trains. How are you supposed to bb all the sadistic NGUs with just 9e18?

More power! But no one is BBing Sad NGUs yet.

The hard cap has to do with the max value of the variable can hold. You will still be likely to need more as gear starts shedding EM cap since it will be as worthless as speed soon.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'll do that when I get home, my goal right now is to kind of hit the autoactivate for pomegranate (2 million magic) so I can get a decent seed farm going and then start to rebalance my stats.

Roughly I think I'll have hit that with buffed stats tonight, maybe base stats as well.

My energy cap is somewhere unbuffed around 3 million, but buffed is somewhere in the 5 million range

I'm wearing mostly the Jake set right now, so my power and cap stats have some inflation compared to the base stats.

Keep in mind, and you may already know this, automatic fruit activation does not automatically eat/harvest. So really, all the auto-fruits do is save you a little E/M build up and reassignment time.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

pixaal posted:

That's interesting. I didn't realize we had a hard cap problem. I'm still about an order of magnitude off of that, so I probably don't have to worry too much. But doesn't that also mean that from a pure XP-micro-optimization perspective, that makes perks/quirks/wishes that pump up cap more valuable at this point, since every percent that comes from a source other than spending XP is a point that can be redirected to power or adventure stats?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

I really like auto activate because I’m lazy, but heads up that Pomegranate is 3M since it costs 300k to activate.

You could also pump Bars so that you can reach 300k really fast to manually activate. Bars won’t be a waste when you unlock beards

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Well, magic bars kinda will for a long time. Apparently you should have all the energy beards running before you even consider turning on a magic beard.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Running 2 energy beards mean they both grow half as fast versus running an energy and a magic beard. Yeah magic beards aren't as useful for adventuring overall but you're cutting your long-term beard growth in half by not running at least one of each.

As far as auto-fruits go, it's easy for me to miss a step between harvest - release E/M - grow - wait - reallocate. Auto-fruit is a no-brainer for me because it saves clicking, saves waiting, and prevents missed fruit growth.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Honestly I'm down for lowering the stat jumps of all the sad zones - i'm similarly going to hit a hard-cap issue with stats and i'm trying to slow the rate the numbers grow anyways, in Sadistic.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

it's time for masochistic difficulty, a full on reset of all numbers

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Mr. Peepers posted:

Running 2 energy beards mean they both grow half as fast versus running an energy and a magic beard. Yeah magic beards aren't as useful for adventuring overall but you're cutting your long-term beard growth in half by not running at least one of each.

As far as auto-fruits go, it's easy for me to miss a step between harvest - release E/M - grow - wait - reallocate. Auto-fruit is a no-brainer for me because it saves clicking, saves waiting, and prevents missed fruit growth.

The loss from having multiple Green/Blue beards is negligible and you can barely make growth on a Magic Beard when you first unlock them. Neckbeard and BEARd are essential at that point and if someone can have both at the same time there's absolutely no reason not to.

Of course, they should aim for having even more but that's a good start.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I would say that running NGU and Adventure will get you a lot more bang for your buck - even at half-rate - than investing in the long-term returns of any of the initial magic options. Pushing bosses very quickly stops being as important as actually being able to do the content they unlock - I think that's even the case when beards unlock - while NGU and PP are two of your most important sources of progress.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

something posted:

Honestly I'm down for lowering the stat jumps of all the sad zones - i'm similarly going to hit a hard-cap issue with stats and i'm trying to slow the rate the numbers grow anyways, in Sadistic.

Switch everything to BigInteger, problem solved. (don't actually do this)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

just make hardcaps your next number to go up

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

maybe the number we should be increasing is the bit width of our processors :getin:

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

skull mask mcgee posted:

maybe the number we should be increasing is the bit width of our processors :getin:

I hear bit width is more important than bit length

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
IBM System i is compatible with 128 bit processors. Time for a rewrite of NGU for AS/400 in IBM RPG?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Eldercain posted:

That's a myth. Why were you talking to my ex? I deny everything.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Eldercain posted:

I just count on my fingers

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Eldercain posted:

Im so glad i have a bit of both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
It's really all about blast processing