Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Daaaaaaaa Bears

https://twitter.com/danwiederer/status/1189210298923782145?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I think what's so infuriating is if the bears hadn't tried so hard to switch offensive philosophies, spend a ton on offense, etc they'd actually be better than they are and contending for a wild card

Just pound the ball with Jordan Howard, eat up clock, special teams and defense. Dick jauron, lovie smith, John fox could all get this defense + an average bears run team + jump balls to arob from a 5th round qb a hell of a lot further

This loving sucks. Just...drafting Jonathan Allen instead and having more good depth would have been better than Mitch. gently caress, bring back mike Glennon

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I wanted them to fleece the Bills for Tyrod Taylor and Sammy Watkins together.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

...hooray?

https://twitter.com/Kofie/status/1188985989533970432

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
jon bois, large adult son

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

adaz posted:

Was looking at the bears cap situation which isn't great but they aren't capped out by any means and...

They're not capped out, but I don't see where they slot in a bunch of big signings. Remember they have to fill offensive line and secondary slots in the offseason. They also have to pay Eddie Jackson a ton of money (and Tarik Cohen some too).

Sure they can dump Leonard Floyd. While he's not worth $13 million, he's still an above average edge rusher you have to replace. Same goes with Amukamara at corner.

Another problem is Pace giving lovely smaller deals to players. Coradelle Patterson is going to make over $5 million next season for some reason. Mike Davis is getting $4 million to be a 3rd string running back. Parkey is still on the books.

brugroffil posted:

they love all his intangibles, such as his [is white], that really differentiated him from Watson and Mahomes

It's the same problem they've had for decades. A bunch of dumbshits who think they're smarter than everyone else in control. And a local media that fawns over you if you make the playoffs once every 5 years.

At the end of the year, Ryan Pace will have been GM of a team that has had a losing record 4 of the last 5 years and who took Trubisky over two Hall of Fame QBs.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

The Defense would be helped by an Offense that allowed them to not be perfect and didn't constantly put them on the field after a 3 and out. And an average QB would be able to hit recievers open on the sidelines.

Players on defense are just loving drained.

They were also bound to regress some. Had very few injuries last season. The turnover margin was not going to stay that high. And they downgraded dramatically at coordinator.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Dexo posted:

The thing is the Bears aren't thaat bereft of talent.

The QB is just really bad.

The Defense is still very very good

They don't even need a good QB. They need a Dilfer.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Beethovens Fist Symphony posted:

rofl what the gently caress is a want-to?

When your QB doesn't have "can-do," you have to settle for "want-to."

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
If you can't do, teach. If you can't teach, want-to.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

They don't even need a good QB. They need a Dilfer.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Hell yeah

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Oh gently caress that if the Bears get him than we absolutely get a turn too.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

He's 50 years old. None of y'all want him.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Niwrad posted:

They're not capped out, but I don't see where they slot in a bunch of big signings. Remember they have to fill offensive line and secondary slots in the offseason. They also have to pay Eddie Jackson a ton of money (and Tarik Cohen some too).

Sure they can dump Leonard Floyd. While he's not worth $13 million, he's still an above average edge rusher you have to replace. Same goes with Amukamara at corner.

Another problem is Pace giving lovely smaller deals to players. Coradelle Patterson is going to make over $5 million next season for some reason. Mike Davis is getting $4 million to be a 3rd string running back. Parkey is still on the books.

It's the same problem they've had for decades. A bunch of dumbshits who think they're smarter than everyone else in control. And a local media that fawns over you if you make the playoffs once every 5 years.

At the end of the year, Ryan Pace will have been GM of a team that has had a losing record 4 of the last 5 years and who took Trubisky over two Hall of Fame QBs.

*traded up to take.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

LabyaMynora posted:

He's 50 years old. None of y'all want him.

I want him. Sexually.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Ask Jenn Sterger if she still has his number. Then you can text him your petite dinklage.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I wonder if there’s a universe where Favre ends up so broke from lawsuits or divorces that he decides to play in the XFL.

He doesn’t strike me as the type who would worry about tainting his legacy, and old man Favre is probably ten times better than any of the QB talent the XFL will be able to sign.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Not Pictured: Trubs

https://twitter.com/PFF/status/1189282515414065159?s=19

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

beejay posted:

Why couldn't they have just picked Watson or Mahomes :smith:

do you honestly think watson or mahomes wouldn't just instantly into poo poo the second they put on the bears jersey like every other quarterback on this team

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
What I wouldn't give to briefly glimpse into the alternate reality where Mahomes is bad and injured on the Bears while Trubs is lighting it up every week on the chiefs.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Has anyone posted about Jayron Kearse’s arrest details? 5 misdemeanors:

Carrying a pistol without a permit
Carrying a pistol while under the influence
Careless driving
Operating a car under the influence
Operating a car over a .08

Best part of the story I saw on mnsportnews Instagram is:

“CB mike Hughes was also a passenger in the vehicle throwing up due to his own level of intoxication”

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Petite Dinklage posted:

I want him. Sexually.

I’ve seen his dick

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

fishing with the fam posted:

What I wouldn't give to briefly glimpse into the alternate reality where Mahomes is bad and injured on the Bears while Trubs is lighting it up every week on the chiefs.

The reason Trubs is poo poo isn't because there is some curse on the Bears, it is because the Chicago Bears as an organization are terrible at evaluating quarterbacks. Trubs has the problem of lovely judgement, the worst problem for a quarterback to have because it can only be fixed by changing how they think. For most good rookies time and experience do this, but it hasn't hapoened yet for Trubs.

Trubs could surprise me and get better, but some of those judgement calls... they're REALLY bad.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I’m excited for Trubisky to end up in the XFL, light it up because the quality of competition is soooooooooo much lower and hear “the Bears really screwed up letting XFL Hall of Famer Mitchell Trubisky go” takes for the rest of our lives.

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

The Bears are not in cap hell but not awash in space, with holes to fill and guys to pay. Sure the Bears can end up with $10-15M to pay a middling QB, but there's not much chance of getting anyone who might be available who would command $20-35M in salary (by FA or trade this would be Jameis, Rivers, Bridgewater/Brees, Mariota, Minshew/Foles, Dalton, Newton/Allen). Bears will be looking at guys like Flacco, Matt Moore, Keenum who are not a definitive upgrade.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Having a "want-to" attitude is a pretty great backhanded compliment.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Like imagine you had a co-worker who tried very hard but was so incompetent he prevented anyone in your office from getting work done. They'd be out on their rear end.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Like imagine you had a co-worker who tried very hard but was so incompetent he prevented anyone in your office from getting work done. They'd be out on their rear end.

uh have you actually worked in corporate america because

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

brugroffil posted:

uh have you actually worked in corporate america because

I'm talking about the entire company. Cause that's what having a bad QB is like.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Man, the Lions really wanted a running back.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1189546887822614528?s=19

T-Square
May 14, 2009

DoctaFun posted:

Has anyone posted about Jayron Kearse’s arrest details? 5 misdemeanors

Carrying a pistol without a permit
Carrying a pistol while under the influence
Careless driving
Operating a car under the influence
Operating a car over a .08

:what:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

schmitty9800 posted:

The Bears are not in cap hell but not awash in space, with holes to fill and guys to pay. Sure the Bears can end up with $10-15M to pay a middling QB, but there's not much chance of getting anyone who might be available who would command $20-35M in salary (by FA or trade this would be Jameis, Rivers, Bridgewater/Brees, Mariota, Minshew/Foles, Dalton, Newton/Allen). Bears will be looking at guys like Flacco, Matt Moore, Keenum who are not a definitive upgrade.

Lot of assumptions here that aren't necessarily true. There are all different kinds of ways to get new quarterbacks- free agency, trade, the draft, etc. Moreover, there's all different kinds of ways to free up cap space. Josh Rosen is still on a rookie deal and possibly could be had for a draft pick, and there's in general a bunch of reshuffling of quarterbacks coming up. Then there's the draft itself with a bunch of higher level quarterbacks and plenty of others as well. I daresay it'd be possible for the Bears to find something better than Trubs if they put their minds to it.

Doesn't seem like that's happening, at least no yet

C-Euro posted:

Having a "want-to" attitude is a pretty great backhanded compliment.

Yep. Basically he's being a good little boy and saying all the right things. The only problem is he doesn't play quarterback well

True, several of those are surely felonies. What a dumbass, and that goes for Mike Hughes too

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I don't hate Mitch, and if he was playing any position other than quarterback I'd honestly be down for giving him more time to develop. But quarterback is too important a position to gently caress around with.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
I love the Bears management going "Yeah, he's bad, but he works real hard. You can be anything you want to be if you put your mind to it."

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

schmitty9800 posted:

It's worse than I thought
https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/10/28/20936993/the-starting-11-bears-falcons-jets-broncos-browns-disappointment

quote:

Chicago has eight players set to make at least $10 million in 2020, and after Pace converted $13 million of Khalil Mack’s salary this offseason to free up cap space, his cap hit next season will be a whopping $26.6 million. As it stands, the Bears are projected to be about $6 million under the cap. There are a few logical cuts that Pace can make this offseason to free up space (injured guard Kyle Long, 30-year-old cornerback Prince Amukamara, and kick returner Cordarrelle Patterson all come to mind), but without any clear in-house replacements on the roster, Chicago will have to do something to offset those losses. Then there are the pending free agents to consider. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Danny Trevathan, and useful contributors like Roy Robertson-Harris and Nick Williams are all set to hit the open market this offseason, and the Bears have little financial recourse to replace or re-sign them. And after trading their 2020 first- and third-round picks to Oakland for Mack last year and sending a fourth-round pick to New England to move up for Montgomery this spring, the Bears lack the draft capital to address their needs with cheap, young talent.

Chicago will also have to decide what to do about Trubisky’s fifth-year option this spring, and as the second overall pick in the 2017 draft, his price tag will likely be in the $30 million range

30 Million dollars for Trubisky is the definition of insanity.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

That's sad. That amazing defense is probably going to be broken up before they can really accomplish anything (besides winning the NFC North last year I guess). One wrong decision can haunt a team for a long time, and that's what Trubisky was

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Play posted:

That's sad. That amazing defense is probably going to be broken up before they can really accomplish anything (besides winning the NFC North last year I guess). One wrong decision can haunt a team for a long time, and that's what Trubisky was

It wasn't one wrong decision though. It was a consequence of going all in on this team. They traded away the future for a chance at winning now while their QB was still 'cheap' and gambled everything on this window. 3 1st round draft picks, 1 second round pick, 2 3rds, a 4th and a 6th for 2 players is a gamble. What you're seeing is the consequnece of when that doesn't work out. The Rams are the best case scenario of this strategy - and the seahwaks sort of did this too years ago although not to this extent. It's a fairly new phenomenon in the NFL. Until a few years ago most GMs wouldn't blow it all on a narrow 2-3 year window because they feared the consequences after that window ended. Previously teams tried to be like the 'model' NFL franchises - the Patriots, Packers, Steelers, etc who seemingly are competitive every year. But they did that by hoarding draft picks and resources and tacking very calculated risks. In comparision the Rams & Bears got drunk and blew their checking account in one night out.

We're about to see those consequences for the Bears. I'm curious what the Rams reckoning is going to look like too.

adaz fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 30, 2019

Play
Apr 25, 2006

adaz posted:

It wasn't one wrong decision though. It was a consequence of going all in on this team. They traded away the future for a chance at winning now while their QB was still 'cheap' and gambled everything on this window. 31st round draft picks, 1 second round pick, 2 3rds, a 4th and a 6th for 2 players is a gamble. What you're seeing is the consequnece of when that doesn't work out. The Rams are the best case scenario of this strategy - and the seahwaks sort of did this too years ago although not to this extent. It's a fairly new phenomenon in the NFL. Until a few years ago most GMs wouldn't blow it all on a narrow 2-3 year window because they feared the consequences after that window ended. Previously teams tried to be like the 'model' NFL franchises - the Patriots, Packers, Steelers, etc who seemingly are competitive every year. But they did that by hoarding draft picks and resources and tacking very calculated risks. In comparision the Rams & Bears got drunk and blew their checking account in one night out.

We're about to see those consequences for the Bears. I'm curious what the Rams reckoning is going to look like too.

That's all correct, but also making a different decision in that spot would've been enough to change everything. Even people at the time people thought Watson and Mahomes had more promise, and you have to wonder if Trubisky's whiteness wasn't something they gave him extra points for. If they had taken either of those dudes their plan would basically be working right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Play posted:

That's all correct, but also making a different decision in that spot would've been enough to change everything. Even people at the time people thought Watson and Mahomes had more promise, and you have to wonder if Trubisky's whiteness wasn't something they gave him extra points for. If they had taken either of those dudes their plan would basically be working right now

it wasn't just Bears evaluation, lots of scouts/draft "experts" had Trubisky ranked clearly ahead of Mahomes and typically on par or ahead of Watson. Why? What did they think they saw in the 13 games the guy had played since high school since he couldn't win the starting job at football powerhouse UNC?