Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
I'm at lvl 9 on my barb shaman and it's nice to have sow and stuff but there's almost nowhere to go. There are occasional bandit groups in west karana, I tried moving up to north karana and there were like 8 people in zone and almost everything was even con or above. Moved over to south karana and was literally the only person in zone, which felt strange coming from the hellscape of qeynos hills and everfrost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
In just a few days the playerbase will drop a bit and people will also start to fan out as some grind non-stop and level higher and others log off and sleep and slow down

but this initial rush is pretty wild and classic in a way

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
If you know where to look there’s obscure spawns to level off of even with high population.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Tempted to say gently caress my qeynos faction and start holocausting farmers but maaaann.. I feel nerd-bad about it.

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.
They'll just die to the plague later anyway. Commence the purge.

pop punk
Jun 26, 2018

:420::420::420:
I couldn't make heads or tails of how to get this going on a mac. Maybe delaying a week until stuff slows down will be for the best. Is the a something awful guild?

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
So which patch do I need for green? Is it the same as the most recent beta patch they have on the front page?

Edit:
Nevermind, I am competent enough to notice that the latest patch at the top of the front page is a higher number than previous patches that I was using.

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 27, 2019

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
Thanks for organizing the March of the Daniels, Zodium.

Covered all three continents in the span of a day and multiple quests no less.

Great times!

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
Daniels are pretty well equiped for a vanilla release. Good job Daniels!

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Magic weapons, scarab armor, all the goods.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

On Green as Ferrguss, the halfling druid Daniel, because Fergus was rejected.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eversmile,_New_Jersey

I got to 2 thanks to Deputy Tagil and then did a little hunting in the thicket. Should I keep following that guide from a few pages back and just keep doing Tagil runs to 3? It gets a little mind-numbing but the easy plat from wisdom potions is very cool. I did most of it yesterday while waiting for dungeon queues in FFXIV.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

DizzyBum posted:

I did most of it yesterday while waiting for dungeon queues in FFXIV.

Uh, you should probably not admit to boxing, it's bannable on P99.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

A Strange Aeon posted:

Uh, you should probably not admit to boxing, it's bannable on P99.

? at no point did they imply they were playing multiple characters simultaneously on the same server

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

but he might get an unfair advantage by having entertainment. the tru 1999 experience is suffering

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Indecisive posted:

but he might get an unfair advantage by having entertainment. the tru 1999 experience is suffering

alt-tabbing for any reason should cause you to immediately go linkdead

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

eke out posted:

And spawn a Hill Giant on top of you.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

eke out posted:

This actually happened in Final Fantasy XI and was by design. :suicide:

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
P99 devs working with russian spy terminators have determined that you are currently listening to shake it off while medding. You are banned and also sentenced to death via stoning lol

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

moolchaba posted:

No. I'm just not wanting to play.

I'll probably just watch streamers and be suffice with that.

I'm such a dramatic liar.

I'm about to get my first spells tonight, level 9. Been soloing the whole time.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
Man I'm torn between not wanting to miss this chance to get a classic experience on a fresh server that I missed when P99 first launched, anddddd not wanting to get sucked back into playing P99 for 8 hours a day to the detriment of everything else in my life like I did last year.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

retpocileh posted:

Man I'm torn between not wanting to miss this chance to get a classic experience on a fresh server that I missed when P99 first launched, anddddd not wanting to get sucked back into playing P99 for 8 hours a day to the detriment of everything else in my life like I did last year.

The devil on your shoulder murdered the angel on your shoulder long ago just like the rest of us. Doooo it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DizzyBum posted:

Lmao I remember that

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Dying on faydwer when you're bound on Antonica because "I'll be careful" like it's 1999 again :getin:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Dying on faydwer when you're bound on Antonica because "I'll be careful" like it's 1999 again :getin:

Hahahaha

You fell for the classic blunder

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
So what's the level of hate speech enforcement they do? Late night on GFay is getting really cute with their attack helicopter and border jokes, but I bet it's just short of where poo poo gets the hammer.

smiling giraffe
Nov 12, 2015

Flip Yr Wig posted:

So what's the level of hate speech enforcement they do? Late night on GFay is getting really cute with their attack helicopter and border jokes, but I bet it's just short of where poo poo gets the hammer.

I think its unlikely they'll do anything. The politic threads on p1999 forums wouldn't have looked out of place on the daily stormer for a while, but they banned a few people and now they're just bad. So unless people are literally advocating for mass deportation of the browns I wouldn't hold your breath.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

DizzyBum posted:

And in classic EverQuest

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I haven't noticed anything like that, and I'm a huge nerd who has been playing a whole lot. Granted I'm in the qeynos area, maybe faydwer has always been full of bigots.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
In the past, staff would quash this kind of stuff when it happened, but I would guess that they're swamped enough to ignore most of it unless it gets really blatant or they're on and seeing it happen.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
That reminds me of how hard I was trolling ooc back in July of 1999 when John Jr crashed his airplane and died.

I was a level 39 big mouth human Ranger and I was in a group that was camping the evil eye in lower guk. Despite being real jerk I scored a manastone. I actually ended up scoring two manastones. I think I was an idiot and traded one for an ebony bladed sword, the one that procs grasping roots. We had no idea of the value of that item.

Current news: I got my SK to level nine last night, and decided to take an adventure run all the way to East Commons. I took the long route of South Karana to Lake Rathe to Mount Rathe etc. It was so awesome. It felt just like EverQuest in 99 (except Paw is still the upgraded tech mas gnoll version).

It was a real hoot running through zones like Feerott and Innothule and seeing all the young trolls and ogres groups camping all over the place.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

aparmenideanmonad posted:

In the past, staff would quash this kind of stuff when it happened, but I would guess that they're swamped enough to ignore most of it unless it gets really blatant or they're on and seeing it happen.

Yeah I mean these guys are literally doing all of this for free, for thousands of people. I guess maybe they can't be bothered to cater to everything I wish they would. P99 should just take the bold step of declaring that nazi genocide racism kill men are bad. Most people think they are good, even if they cloak it in "humor".

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Why isn't Split Paw the original version?

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
Pretty sure so little information exists about original original Paw it’s now impossible to recreate.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

A Strange Aeon posted:

Why isn't Split Paw the original version?

The original split paw was like a poor man's version of blackburrow. There were a couple quest mobs there, but no one would go there otherwise, I think the mobs capped out around level 10 or 12 in that dungeon.

It's not a huge deal, but slightly disappointing because I had gone there at least a handful of times before they updated to the higher-end mobs on the live server.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Summit posted:

Pretty sure so little information exists about original original Paw it’s now impossible to recreate.

This is what I've heard before from nilbog. By the time the ultra-meticulous analysis of everything to do with this game started, original Paw was long gone and was never brought back. I played in there briefly with my Qeynos-based human wizard on live in 99 before moving East, but I remember almost nothing about it.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Revamp paw is as unremarkable as original paw. They just notched the level\skillset of the mobs up like ten levels from what I remember. Paw is so ridiculously out of the way even if you CAN bind yourself that it makes almost no sense to go there unless every other possible camp is taken, but hey on green that might actually be the case.

I *do* wish we'd get revamp cazic thule, since nobody will ever go to the classic version, but since it was very early luclin we won't ever get it :( those FT boots tho.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
That is mysterious and strange! Doesn't the current population actually reference the previous gnolls who were there originally? I remember an executioner who spawns to kill the leader of the previous clan or something like that.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Relayer posted:

Revamp paw is as unremarkable as original paw. They just notched the level\skillset of the mobs up like ten levels from what I remember. Paw is so ridiculously out of the way even if you CAN bind yourself that it makes almost no sense to go there unless every other possible camp is taken, but hey on green that might actually be the case.

I *do* wish we'd get revamp cazic thule, since nobody will ever go to the classic version, but since it was very early luclin we won't ever get it :( those FT boots tho.

Paw being out of the way only adds to player interactions, or at least, it did back in '99. South Karana was constantly busy with people at KFC and Paw, and I did a lot of business there setting up as a banker at the tree, paying people for their loot which I could easily vendor up top and exchanging silver for pp or gems.

That said, I do not have any recollection of the original Paw.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I vaguely remember exploring the continent as a 30 Monk back on Live and going through pre-revamp Paw. I could easily murder everything in there. There wasn't much to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

When was splitpaw revamped anyway? Pre kunark? I only ever saw the higher level version