Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Play posted:

I got the impression that it was an electronic key card of some kind, not a normal metal key. Could be wrong though
Nah, it only makes sense as a physical key. If it was an electronic key, it costs nothing to replace a keycard - you can just remove access for that swipe card in about 30 seconds of effort. No locksmith required, just literally opening up the database and clicking a few buttons. Sure, the key card is still floating around somewhere, but it’s just a useless piece of plastic. This is why hotels barely even glance at the key cards when you checkout, because their system automatically re-programs the door locks anyways so it doesn’t matter.

However, if it’s a physical metal key, then there’s no way to make that lost key useless except physically replacing every affected door with a new one. Still doesn’t justify $15,000 (!) unless it’s some crazy skeleton key that opens every door in the building, but makes it more reasonable to have at least some cost involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

MagusofStars posted:

However, if it’s a physical metal key, then there’s no way to make that lost key useless except physically replacing every affected door with a new one. Still doesn’t justify $15,000 (!) unless it’s some crazy skeleton key that opens every door in the building, but makes it more reasonable to have at least some cost involved.

as someone who works in the dungeon that holds the seventh instrument necessary to wake the wind-fish what the gently caress else do you expect us to do when the hero of destiny could show up at any moment

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
AITA for how I rejected a barista?

quote:

Went to a local coffee shop. I'm left handed so when I paid my wedding ring would have been clearly visible. I got my coffee and I saw a phone number on the napkin. I sat down and that's when I saw a phone number on the napkin. My friend arrived a bit later and sat with me. I showed him the napkin and he laughed.

When the barista went to clear the table next to ours she stopped by our table and asked if everything was to my liking (just addressing me, not my friend) and we both said it was great. She then directly asked if I'd seen anything "interesting" with my order. I replied "no, nothing interesting whatsoever". Barista left in a huff.

My friend goes "oh my god. I knew you'd turn her down but don't be surprised if she spits in your coffee after that." I asked what that meant and he said that while he knew I was just trying to be firm that was probably one of the harsher methods of dealing with it.

I texted my wife and asked her and she agreed that while it was good I was firm and didn't lead her on or anything, I could maybe have been a bit nicer.

Was I the rear end in a top hat?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

i vomit kittens posted:

AITA for complaining to the management team about all of the LGBTQ posters, flags and signs they have hanging in the lobby at work?

there are hundreds, HUNDREDS of real live people PMing me to tell me that i am a perfect human being, many of them offering me hundreds of dollars you hypocrite SCUM

You have a hard time believing that people are publicly progressive and privately homophobic?

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Seems fine to me. Besides, even though it's not quite the power imbalance you'd get with Customer/Employee in the other direction, it's still not great to hit in customers in the first place I think.

I would have at least asked her straight out if she noticed the ring, I guess

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

My [27M] girlfriend [26F] of 5 months won't speak to me after finding out I have a work phone. Time to end things?

Girlfriend freaked out about the second phone because she has already been snooping on his primary phone. She either had past guys cheat on her and can't cope, or she is currently cheating on him.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Pinecone Sample posted:

AITA for how I rejected a barista?

Dear wife: someone hit on me today. I just thought you should know.

:rolleyes:

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

tactlessbastard posted:

I'd tell my wife about a story like that, it's kinda funny and unusual. :shrug:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

MagusofStars posted:

Nah, it only makes sense as a physical key. If it was an electronic key, it costs nothing to replace a keycard - you can just remove access for that swipe card in about 30 seconds of effort. No locksmith required, just literally opening up the database and clicking a few buttons. Sure, the key card is still floating around somewhere, but it’s just a useless piece of plastic. This is why hotels barely even glance at the key cards when you checkout, because their system automatically re-programs the door locks anyways so it doesn’t matter.

Could be they didn't do their electronic keys that smartly and all of them are equivalent? Meaning if one is lost then the whole lot need to be replaced. I don't know, either way whatever kind of key it is the 15,000 makes no loving sense. That could be just something they told people to try and get them to take the keys seriously and not lose them

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Grape posted:

I'd tell my wife about a story like that, it's kinda funny and unusual. :shrug:

Don’t worry, we know it’s unusual, you didn’t have to say that part

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

tactlessbastard posted:

Eh, I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt. Since he brought up the ring being visible (at least he thinks she saw it), he could have taken it as a slight against his wife. That would explain why he didn't just try to play it off.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

Fallen Rib
I could see being a bit of a jerk if he thought she saw his ring but really who the gently caress looks at peoples hands?

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I mean I notice people's rings/jewelry all the time, that's not really weird.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

dudeness posted:

I could see being a bit of a jerk if he thought she saw his ring but really who the gently caress looks at peoples hands?

If you're not willing to get shot down, don't hit on people. It's not like he publicly embarrassed her, or tried to get her in trouble with her boss.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

He definitely didn't go above and beyond in shooting her down, he just... shot her down. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

men don't have to be unfailingly polite in turning down women just like the other way around

Aule
Oct 16, 2019

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for telling my GF to wear different clothes due to frequent nip-slips?

So I’m 24 and my GF is 23, we’ve been together 3 years if that matters. She’s a cute girl and likes to wear cute clothing when she goes out, which usually consists of tight, see through, open middle and spandexy type stuff.

My gf has got breasts that she claims are hard to find a proper bra size for, and when she wears these weekend-esq. clothes with an open middle she has frequent nip slips that she doesn’t realize happens, and I mean FREQUENT. Maybe every 4-5 minutes, that don’t get put away until I or someone points it out, for the same thing to happen 5 minutes later.

Well after a few years of this it’s got on my nerves. I’ve become visibly upset lately when it happens, because I don’t want my gf to parade around with her nipples out. I told her this and to try to find some equally cute clothes that cover this problem, as I’m sure they exist somewhere. A few weekends ago my friends, I and her went out. Before leaving the house she had a few slips and I told her “why don’t you just wear nice, cute clothing like (friends girlfriends name) where her nipples don’t become exposed every 3 minutes?” Well this caused her to become upset and think I was calling my friends girlfriend more attractive or something. That night was basically ruined and we went out with friends and hardly spoke.

In the last few weeks she’s brought it up several times without closure. Every time stating stuff like “who cares if my nipples come out, they’re just overly sexualized and it’s not a problem if men have their shirt off.” Or “it’s basically the same thing as wearing tight jeans and having a mans penis bulge” to which I countered neither of these things are alike.

She stands her ground that I’m an A-hole who should let her wear what she wants, I stand my ground that it’s trashy and preventable, while looking equally good in alternative clothing. She continues to bring this up every week with no real solution, so I’m asking you reddit (and she’ll read the responses), AITA?

I can understand why you feel upset, but she isn’t wrong. Women’s nipples are way too overly sexualised. I think you could have approached it better TBH

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Aule posted:

I can understand why you feel upset, but she isn’t wrong. Women’s nipples are way too overly sexualised. I think you could have approached it better TBH

Nice sentiment, but we live in a society where nipples are judged as "inappropriate" by the vast, vast majority.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Big nipples, big life

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
AITA for using the Japanese way of writing "lol" when texting with my friends/gf?

quote:

In Japan, they use the symbol 笑 the same way that we would write "lol". So you can write something like "I went outside and realized I forgot my keys 笑".

I've started adapting this whenever I text my friends and my gf and they quickly got annoyed by it and my gf has even told me to cut it out. I have so far refused to do it because I don't see any good reasons why I shouldn't use 笑 instead of lol.

I have added the symbol as a keyboard shortcut on my phone so whenever I type lol, it will automatically change it to 笑, and I already told everybody what the symbol means so it's not like they have no idea what I mean when I type it. It's just that they want me to stop because they think it's stupid.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Pinecone Sample posted:

AITA for using the Japanese way of writing "lol" when texting with my friends/gf?

lol

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Pinecone Sample posted:

He's not like an rear end in a top hat rear end in a top hat, but that's pretty asinine.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Probably because using stuff even in other kinds of alphabets (nevermind entirely different writing systems like that) mostly just scans as completely unintelligible and not as shorthand for what they mean you dingus weeaboo.

Also that's def a Chinese character adapted into Japanese, which makes him pathetic even as a weeaboo goes.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My (37/M) girlfriend (28/F) exterminated a litter of stray kittens that she found in the back yard?

I'm watching TV in the living room when she comes in ( from cleaning the back yard ) through the sliding glass door holding a small kitten in her hand by the scruff. She said "I found these" When I asked her where she got it she said " they were behind the shed that we have on the back " then she went back outside

About 30 minutes later she comes walking back inside through the living room holding a black trash bag and continued to walk to the front door.

Thinking it looked odd, I asked her what was that and she just looked at the bag and shook her head and said "we don't need any stray cats prowling around here and making more babies so I just nipped it in the bud."

Now my girlfriend doesn't think she did anything wrong. She insists that random cats are annoying and can be a pest animal. I know she's not a bad person but she acted as if she just killed a spider or something like it wasn't a big deal.

I thought that was kinda intense like she couldn't have given them away or something like that.

I can't stop thinking about how she just killed 6 kittens like its nothing.

This was about an hour ago. Am I being too sensitive??

tl;dr My girlfriend just liked a bunch of stray babies and dosent think it's a big deal.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

i vomit kittens posted:

AITA for complaining to the management team about all of the LGBTQ posters, flags and signs they have hanging in the lobby at work?

there are hundreds, HUNDREDS of real live people PMing me to tell me that i am a perfect human being, many of them offering me hundreds of dollars you hypocrite SCUM

Actually I think there really is an issue these days with large companies going out of their way to virtue signal their LGBTQ friendliness while not being perceived by their employees as LGBTQ friendly at all. I have a good friend that works for an organization with 20k+ employees and mentioned to them how I had seen some of the stuff they had been doing publically around pride awhile back and said that it must feel great as I also work for an LGBTQ friendly organization.

They told me that everyone that had ever known that had ever displayed any overt queerness had suddenly had "performance issues" that they had never had before and left shortly thereafter even after their workplace started saying how LGBTQ friendly they were. I've mentioned that to other people that work in large organizations and many of them feel the same way.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My (37/M) girlfriend (28/F) exterminated a litter of stray kittens that she found in the back yard?

I'm watching TV in the living room when she comes in ( from cleaning the back yard ) through the sliding glass door holding a small kitten in her hand by the scruff. She said "I found these" When I asked her where she got it she said " they were behind the shed that we have on the back " then she went back outside

About 30 minutes later she comes walking back inside through the living room holding a black trash bag and continued to walk to the front door.

Thinking it looked odd, I asked her what was that and she just looked at the bag and shook her head and said "we don't need any stray cats prowling around here and making more babies so I just nipped it in the bud."

Now my girlfriend doesn't think she did anything wrong. She insists that random cats are annoying and can be a pest animal. I know she's not a bad person but she acted as if she just killed a spider or something like it wasn't a big deal.

I thought that was kinda intense like she couldn't have given them away or something like that.

tl;dr My girlfriend just liked a bunch of stray babies and dosent think it's a big deal.

Now that is a :can: being opened right there.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Three Olives posted:

Actually I think there really is an issue these days with large companies going out of their way to virtue signal their LGBTQ friendliness while not being perceived by their employees as LGBTQ friendly at all. I have a good friend that works for an organization with 20k+ employees and mentioned to them how I had seen some of the stuff they had been doing publically around pride awhile back and said that it must feel great as I also work for an LGBTQ friendly organization.

They told me that everyone that had ever known that had ever displayed any overt queerness had suddenly had "performance issues" that they had never had before and left shortly thereafter even after their workplace started saying how LGBTQ friendly they were. I've mentioned that to other people that work in large organizations and many of them feel the same way.

Corporate pink washing is definitely a thing but the overlap between people who complain about it happening at work and the people who give a poo poo about the ethics of pinkwashing is vanishingly small.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Inceltown posted:

Rural/Urban divide is my guess.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Inceltown posted:

Here goes!

Either she does it or the pound does it.

I think feeding stray cats is bad TBH.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Jesus loving christ. Can we put animal abuse/murder in the same category as sex crimes?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Beachcomber posted:

Rural/Urban divide is my guess.

My wife comes from an island with more cats than people so spare me with the "city slickers just don't understand" crap lol.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

AITA for being upset that my special needs sister in law ruined my dancing at my wedding?

quote:

I just got married last month and my new sister in law has Down syndrome. She’s very very sweet but she doesn’t understand boundaries on her own. However, if you tell her things like “our friend needs some personal space right now, can you please back up?” she’s normally pretty good at following.

For all of my wedding day, she would randomly walk up to me and take my flowers or pick up my dress and tell me to walk so she can carry my dress. I did my best to try and keep her happy while still enjoying my wedding, which ended up going pretty well. I would entertain her for a moment before asking for space or redirecting her. She had fun and I was still able to mingle with guests and everything.

The thing that I am most upset about is that every time I tried to dance with my husband at our wedding, she would run up and push us apart to make room for her to dance, or she would come up behind me and hug me which would trip me because she would step on my dress or cause me to lose my balance. I did not get a single dance with my husband on my wedding day. Not even our first dance. All of our pictures and videos of us dancing have her in them.

Everyone thinks she’s super cute because she’s special needs and whenever I try to talk to anyone about my frustration, they say it shouldn’t matter because the important things is that i got married and that she was happy. Or they say I’m being selfish.

I spent my wedding day trying to keep her from dropping my flowers or ripping my veil or getting food on my dress. All I wanted was one. Stinking. Dance. And I’m sad that I didn’t get it. All her parents had to do was say “hey they’re having a special dance right now, let’s give them some space.”

Am I the rear end in a top hat for being upset that I didn’t get a dance with my husband?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

Pinecone Sample posted:

AITA for being upset that my special needs sister in law ruined my dancing at my wedding?

She can always do it differently at her next wedding if she thinks making people watch her dance with her husband at her first was so goddamn important.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

MarcusSA posted:

Here goes!

Either she does it or the pound does it.

I think feeding stray cats is bad TBH.

Yeah, it's a bit :gonk: but it's better than putting them in a box in front of a Pet Smart and thinking you've done something useful.
Full disclosure: my cat's litter was left in a box in front of a Pet Smart and somehow wound up with a friend who found homes for all of them. He was a wonderful kitty but also very lucky and the exception.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My(26f) husband(29m) has a nearly psychotic anger episode every single morning and idk what to do anymore.

Every morning, without fail, when my husband wakes up for work(after only 6 hours of sleep) he immediately within like 30 seconds is just furious. I can’t even think of a rational example of why someone would ever get that mad. He scoffs, throws off his blanket, starts slamming poo poo(doors, the bathroom mirror, shoes, drawers, etc), goes into the bathroom and yells a big “gently caress” or something similar, gets in the shower and laughs hysterically while simultaneously banging something which I assume to be his fist or maybe his head. All I know is it used to give me horrible anxiety and still does but I mostly just feel annoyed now. I just roll my eyes and I’m like, really? Here we go again.

He has had anger issues forever but during the day he’s gotten better. In my opinion it’s a combination of unresolved emotions, nicotine addiction, weed addiction, video game addiction, and lack of sleep. I try to get him to get more sleep, at least on weekends, but he wakes up early to play video games and stays up late to play video games because he is just always so desperate for “alone time” apparently. We have a one year old that has learned to sleep though his morning temper tantrums but I am so over it. My son and I have a trip to visit my family coming up and I don’t know if we are even going to come back for a while. I’ve tried to get him into therapy but unfortunately we live in such an expensive area that even with his good job we can’t find anyone that takes our insurance. He’s tried a couple mental health apps and I think they helped but he just still wakes up every morning and you would think he absolutely hates his life.

tl:dr My husband has a full on mental breakdown 5-6 mornings out of the week and I feel like no matter what I do it doesn’t help. Any advice would be appreciated.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I don't think the issue is culling the cats, but how she was able to casually do it in the backyard while giving completely zero shits about killing six kittens. I feel like most people would at least be upset or would cope with compartmentalising it in a professional setting or whatever, killing them in your backyard without blinking is enough to unnerve anyone.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA For telling my friend her cooking sucks after she quit her job to become a chef?
oh poo poo this one is devastating

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
AITA for telling my GF to wear different clothes due to frequent nip-slips?

Because you know I'm all about that breast,
'Bout that breast, no nipple

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for giving my boyfriend a bedtime ultimatum?

He likes to watch videos to fall asleep. For some bizarre reason, the sound of middle aged men shouting about The Witcher really soothes him.
hahahaha what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Three Olives posted:

She can always do it differently at her next wedding if she thinks making people watch her dance with her husband at her first was so goddamn important.

I don't think one dance is a big ask. She actually needed to have asked, though.