Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
You can never have too many gore bags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
vurt's flora mods for New Vegas show that you can definitely make great looking lush, green and colorful environments in the Fallout iteration of Gamebryo.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Yeah but Super Mutants in the Capitol dont run around with football shaped nuclear warheads, so you could probably clear them out. Them, and their gore bags.

gently caress that mechanic, oh my god.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Gore bags are an inefficient way of doing everything.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

For some reason gore bags were one of my preferred loot containers, I think they may have more ammo and caps than usual but I'll defer to OFS's expertise on gore bags.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Mega64 posted:

For some reason gore bags were one of my preferred loot containers, I think they may have more ammo and caps than usual but I'll defer to OFS's expertise on gore bags.

Same.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Mega64 posted:

Gore bags contain two of a random mutilated body part, skull, arm leg, torso, organs, always the same.

They have a 50% chance of containing a small amount of caps, 11-19 or so, or a small amount of ammunition, I believe a type that Super Mutants use but I'm not sure.

If they have something besides mutilated limbs, it's better than your average container because it's double-digit caps or a fair few bullets.

But they're as likely as not to just have chunks of meat.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Glad to know I wasn't completely crazy in prioritizing looting bags of body parts.

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

One of your anecdotes is that you inspired the New Vegas devs. It's fine.

!
Can I get an elaboration?

What I'm saying is, this delay on selection eight is a necessary sacrifice so I can install Touhou Hentai Posters.

: ( Please don't drag Touhou into this gigantic poo poo...

RareAcumen posted:

Where did Butch get all those Tunnel Snake jackets?

I know Fallout 3's story is...really, really bad, but I don't think that thing is a plot issue.

Sewing Machine.

I doubt that Sewing Machines were banned in the vaults.

Meanwhile, actual bad writing is the fact that literally only Butch is the only remotely memorable character in the ENTIRE vault and it's only because of his memey gang and not...actual personality and good writing.

Azza Bamboo posted:

Adopt Brian Wilks

I've not played this mod but I've read that you can make Brian Willks become IMMUNE TO FIRE by just beating the crap out of a ton of ants.

BAD. rear end.

Also, KH is about Disney, so does that mean Disney is anime, and thus bad?

And anime's quality depends on what Anime you're talking about.

Is there any Fist Of North Star mods for Fallout 3 anywhere? It's basically if Mad Max was played by the late Bruce Lee. And people explode every time after he punches them a million times in a few seconds.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Yeah but Super Mutants in the Capitol dont run around with football shaped nuclear warheads, so you could probably clear them out. Them, and their gore bags.

gently caress that mechanic, oh my god.

While playing I heard the random conversation of two Super Mutants arguing whether the first would succeed in commanding all the local mutants one day. The one proclaiming to to become a master was, in the subtitles, a Super Mutant Suicider.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

I've heard a lot of horror stories about mods that are so infectious that they continue to affect the game even after clean installs, mostly graphical ones lingering even though the assets should be dead and gone.

Instead of having to dance around the stupid-rear end visual mods out there for fear that one will cling to the game like a foul curse, I'm just trying to finish Post-Nuclear Beth's journey so the Mod Scene can completely dismantle Fallout 3 without affecting the main updates.

I can only think about Fallout 3 so much at once however so if I tried to write an update, I'd die.

What I'm saying is, this delay on selection eight is a necessary sacrifice so I can install Touhou Hentai Posters.

Please Understand.

Aren't you using Mod Organizer? It should keep all the mods neatly compartmentalized and away from the actual game folder, specifically to avoid this kind of problem.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Dragonwagon posted:

Aren't you using Mod Organizer? It should keep all the mods neatly compartmentalized and away from the actual game folder, specifically to avoid this kind of problem.

I am, but I'm paranoid about weird computer issues, and also, with the Outer Worlds looking like it's literally everything I want, I kind of want to be done with playing Fallout 3, you know?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
You can always just stop. You aren’t obliged to self-harm for the internet

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

So instead of doing a normal run and a modded run, you're just gonna hurry a run and be done?

I still recommend fwe+wmk if so, it is a gun way to play IMO.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Or a blind LP of outer worlds :v

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

TheNamedSavior posted:

I doubt that Sewing Machines were banned in the vaults.

Where are they getting the leather?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

biosterous posted:

Where are they getting the leather?

Infinite supply from the modding community.

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009
We never see the entire Vault. I assume they have either unshown animal pens, or unshown replicators. Otherwise you'd have to ask where they get literally all of their food as well.

EDIT: In fact, aren't replicators canonically part of the basic package of every GECK, and thus, every Vault? In fact I think I even vaguely remember hearing NPCs talk about replicators at some point.

Hammurabi fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 26, 2019

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Lore-wise there's an entire level dedicated to hydroponics in each vault but no game deigned to waste the player's time with realistically modelling a self sufficient city.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The vaults once held thousands but have since shrank to hundreds, then tens.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Siegkrow posted:

So instead of doing a normal run and a modded run, you're just gonna hurry a run and be done?

It's like the Pokemon fan game LPs, I have the main, normal run, and I'll do a bunch of alternate takes for fun, because with an open-world game like this if I need to demonstrate, say, The Superhuman Gambit but everyone is a mole rat, I just zoom over there.

The main quest is hosed still but I doubt a mod can save that.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

Mzbundifund posted:

I always figured these horror stories came more from people not understanding how their computer handles files than with some secret magical uninstallable texture mods. They probably used some mod auto-installer that stuffed their fallout 3 override folder with texture files that the fallout 3 uninstall program didn't specifically look for and delete, so they were still there when they reinstalled the game.

good lord, this

So many people assume computer stuff is basically voodoo cause they have no idea how poo poo works, so they invent these elaborate legends and mythologies about it, it's loving wild

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Hammurabi posted:

EDIT: In fact, aren't replicators canonically part of the basic package of every GECK, and thus, every Vault?

That vault didn’t get a geck. It’s a plot point even.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Black Robe posted:

I really hope there actually is a dwarf fortress mod for this game.

For every game, really.

Better idea: a post-nuclear total conversion mod for Dwarf Fortress.
:iit:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Pierzak posted:

Wouldn't that basically be Rimworld?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Just make haunted areas radioactive and you're good to go.

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009

Soricidus posted:

That vault didn’t get a geck. It’s a plot point even.

Ah, I double checked and you're right. I guess I was misremembering. Still, we know there's lots of the vault that we don't see (most of it in fact), including all floors and sections related to... really any sort of production or food/goods preparation. So the leather really isn't implausible at all.

Dalris Othaine posted:

good lord, this

So many people assume computer stuff is basically voodoo cause they have no idea how poo poo works, so they invent these elaborate legends and mythologies about it, it's loving wild

One time, I installed a lore friendly giant mirelurk titty mod PURELY FOR THE IMMERSION, but then instead of huge sexy immersive titties it made all the lights go out and made it permanently night and made everyone have empty eye-sockets bleeding hyper-realistic blood and all the dialogue with "you shouldnt of done that *grins evilly*" with weird demonic groaning in the background, then they started walking toward the screen and my game crashed. at first I thought it was a glitch so I tried turning of the game and taking a nap. Then I had a dream where my family was all skeletons with hyper-realistic bleeding eye sockets saying "you shouldnt done that."

Im like "man thats weird lol" so I uninstalled the mod. But it's still in my game. The game is still eternal night, the lights are still all gone and it gets darker every time I play, everyones eyes are still gone, still bleeding that hyper realistic blood, and they're still telling me I "shouldnt did that." They whisper awful things that they couldnt possibly know. My darkest secrets, and horrible things I know are true but don't want to believe, and every day they come closer to reaching the screen and taking me. Every time I close my eyes I see blood and horror. I see the corpses of my friends and family. I see Him calling to me, coming for me, watching me with hungry eyes, delighting in my fear and agony. But now the mirelurks DO have hyper realistic titties so I mean I guess its fine tbh.

Pierzak posted:

Funny thing, that actually exists.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Hammurabi posted:

Ah, I double checked and you're right. I guess I was misremembering. Still, we know there's lots of the vault that we don't see (most of it in fact), including all floors and sections related to... really any sort of production or food/goods preparation. So the leather really isn't implausible at all.

One time, I installed a lore friendly giant mirelurk titty mod PURELY FOR THE IMMERSION, but then instead of huge sexy immersive titties it made all the lights go out and made it permanently night and made everyone have empty eye-sockets bleeding hyper-realistic blood and all the dialogue with "you shouldnt of done that *grins evilly*" with weird demonic groaning in the background, then they started walking toward the screen and my game crashed. at first I thought it was a glitch so I tried turning of the game and taking a nap. Then I had a dream where my family was all skeletons with hyper-realistic bleeding eye sockets saying "you shouldnt done that."

Im like "man thats weird lol" so I uninstalled the mod. But it's still in my game. The game is still eternal night, the lights are still all gone and it gets darker every time I play, everyones eyes are still gone, still bleeding that hyper realistic blood, and they're still telling me I "shouldnt did that." They whisper awful things that they couldnt possibly know. My darkest secrets, and horrible things I know are true but don't want to believe, and every day they come closer to reaching the screen and taking me. Every time I close my eyes I see blood and horror. I see the corpses of my friends and family. I see Him calling to me, coming for me, watching me with hungry eyes, delighting in my fear and agony. But now the mirelurks DO have hyper realistic titties so I mean I guess it's fine tbh.

Yeah, that's a common glitch with that mod. Uh, or so I've heard.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.
...did I just get fanart made of my snarky "drat luddites" post? :abrathink:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Discovering the Repbulic of Dave got Beth to level 4, but she can't level up mid-combat.

By which I mean some piece of poo poo mole rat is upset and will take three days to get over itself and until then Beth is level 3.

Flower, honey, this isn't a great shot.

In every single dialogue with every single character in the Republic, Beth can flip the table and gently caress the place over.

>I'm not here to hurt anyone. What is this place?

"This is the Republic of Dave, duh! It's named for President Daddy! But you have to talk to him if you want to stay here."

>I think I'd like to meet Dave.

"Okay, I'll take you, but President Daddy doesn't always like new people."

We're allowed in to the Republic, but Flower's taking a stroll so we have time to duck into the Museum,

and lift the bobblehead from it.

Like I said, Perception 6 is only really important for the perks. I could start Beth with 5 because grabbing this one was super easy.

I've ran there and back and Flower still hasn't gotten anywhere. I'd say it's the mole rat's fault but it finally gives up.

I've used Small Guns so much so far, might as well give it something.

I need 60 medicine for a few quests and a perk, and I already have the skill and attribute bobbleheads for it, so I can't just expect it to go up on its own. Besides, it means I have to use fewer stimpacks to get full.

50 Sneak is about all I need for a long-rear end time.

Level 4 introduces some new perks to take. Scroundrel is another +5 to two skills perk, for Speech and Barter. Entomologist is a huge boost to damage to bugs, but bugs aren't enough of an issue to spend a whole perk just for them in this game. Child at Heart helps when dealing with children by giving special dialogue options, but they're never required and nothing is really locked behind them.

Iron Fist is not +5 unarmed skill, but +5 unarmed damage which is a vastly different beast as it applies to punchin' weapons too. I'll get all three ranks eventually, but...

Comprehension and Educated are valuable perks that vastly increase the total number of skill points obtained. Educated is +3 per level from here on, or 78 total over time. Comprehension is +1 point from skill books, and it has a far higher ceiling as there are 324 skill books in Fallout 3.

As Post-Nuclear Beth already gets 20 points a level, I went with Comprehension. Educated is far far less of a pain in the rear end.

Now that I finally have the perk, Beth can finally read that comic book she got on her tenth birthday. She loves it so much it evaporates, apparently.

Flower then evaporates.

NPCs changing cells is done by fading in and out, actually.

President Dave of the Repbulic of Dave is a baldind, middle-aged man with an assault rifle on his back. His Republic conists of a family farm with him, his two wives, and his children.

"Now, are you applying for citizenship, asylum, or just vacationing in the Republic of Dave?"

>I'm just a traveler. I guess you could say I'm vacationing.

"The Department of Tourist Rights has declared a tourism embargo that affects the entirety of the Republic of Dave. You have 24 hours to return to your home nation or face "accelerated" deportation."

Dave then gets up to leave. I'm not done!

>What if I just make a donation to the Republic... and you let me stay?

"A donation, huh? Well, it just so happens that the Republic of Dave does grant special asylum to its supporters in times of crisis. A one-time refugee tax of 250 caps should be enough to handle the administration costs of letting you stay. Or, you could always find the President a new hunting rifle. I lost the last one when I was out stalking Mirelurks."

I won't be without for much longer.

"Yes, this will do nicely. Congratulations, you are now an official refugee of the Republic of Dave."

>So, you're in charge here, Mister President?

"That's right. As president, I am head of the Department of Tourist Rights, the Office of Immigrant Affairs, and the Bureau of Davelike Activities. My proudest duty, second to the presidency, is commander-and-chief of the Army of Dave, the most ruthless military in the Wasteland."

>I'd be interested in learning more about you, Mister President.

"Years ago, I freed these poor people from the wrath of Tom, former monarch of the Kingdom of Tom. Afterwards, the people naturally elected me as their president, and the Republic of Dave was formed."

:buddy:

"How much radiation have you been exposed to? Not the butterfly, you moron. I meant the kind of leader that holds his office for life. My father inherited his political power from birth and renamed this great nation the Kingdom of Tom. Although I also inherited my political power from my father when I took over I formed a Republic so the people may elect their leader."

>Any future plans for the Republic, Mister President?

I agree entirely.

"One day, all wastelanders will be citizens in the republic, and know the greatness of their president. "

>Anything happening in this place, Mister President?

"There's an election for the next president. Don't look so surprised. Can't you see this is a Republic?"

>Who's running in the election?

"Nobody except me. Why would the people need anyone else but Dave? I give them all that they ask for."

>Could I help with the election, Mister President?

"Alright sure, why not. The people have a tendency to wait until the last minute to vote, but I'd just like to get it over with. I'll spare a few caps if you just tell each of the adults to get over to the voting booth sometime today so I cinch the victory. Not that I have anything to worry about. The people know who their leader is in this Republic."

There are four other adults who are capable of voting. Dave has already voted, for himself naturally. He'll give us a pittance for getting the other four off their asses.

My goal is to install a new president.

After all, this safe has something I want and it can't be picked. Some locks just can't be picked, you know.

Rosie is Dave's first wife and not an egomaniac.

"Believe it or not, I used to lead a group bigger than this one on an old caravan route. I did it for years... and we did pretty well for ourselves. But what am I talking about? Running against Dave would be like betraying him."

>It's not a betrayal. This is a free, um, nation... right?

"Yeah, and like Dave says, freedom is the most free freedom that we have! You know what, you're right. I'll give it a shot. It's like, my duty, isn't it? Yeah..."

Jessica is Dave's second, younger, hotter wife and is scyophantically devoted to him. No wonder Rosie feels discontent.

We can't convince her to vote against her husband.

Shawna, Dave's eldest daughter, usually stays in the Museum of Dave. She's giving a tour of the random crap in the Museum.

The rest goes:

"Dave had 8 siblings and made his own baseball team. The team was so good, in fact, the Wasteland team was so scared it never showed up to compete. The briefcase is the very one Dave took with him when he became fed up with the poor ways that his father ran the nation. Dave brought back many items from the Wasteland. It was artifacts like these that amassed the Republic's great wealth. Dave collects many war collectibles, including holotapes and war weaponry. This globe represents the whole planet that Dave traversed. Don't let its size fool you, the world is at least fifty times bigger than this. I don't know who put that tire there. These weapons were used against the USA before the bombs fell. Dave probably acquired these when he walked to China. Dave is a world-renowned marksman, known for shooting an apple out of the hand of a Raider from across the Potomac. Mounted to my left is the very head of the slain Deathclaw that Dave encountered during his quest through the Wastes. I know what you're thinking, and no, that's not a Brahmin skull. Brahmin have two heads, so there'd have to be two skulls for it to be Brahmin. Please, no touching. And that's the tour! I hope you enjoyed it!"

She'll also vote for Dave and cannot be persuaded against it.

Bob is Dave's eldest son, who doesn't believe in the democratic ideals of the Republic of Dave and simply believes it's a monarchy like the Kingdom of Bob before it. He can be persuaded to run himself, but he will only vote for himself or for Dave. I just tell him to vote.

Despite having told all the voters to vote, Dave says someone hasn't.

Ah, I guess Jessica got stuck somewhere? Let's remind her to vote and...

Nothing. She broke. She ain't voting. And without her vote the election can't conclude. It's stuck.

This is a known glitch.

Fallout Wiki posted:

One of the non-player characters can go to the ballot box, and stand there doing nothing, making it impossible to finish the quest. Reloading a previous auto-save might solve the problem, however if the NPC went to vote from inside the voting building, you may need to reload a save from before you and they entered.

The other option is console commands.

Click on Jessica, type "disable", hit enter, and...

Bingo! She's been unloaded! The Jessica game object is out of RAM and will need to be reloaded, which will reset her.

Oops. I lost the reference id for Jessica.

Ok I did have to load the autosave of getting in here then slap Jessica with another disable/enable combo.

But that reset her AI which means she actually voted this time!

All I had to do was reset your second wife, sir!

He gives Beth 25 caps. This would be it, since we can only convince two of the five people to not vote for Dave, but Beth is amoral and will interfere with legitimate government processes for her own end.

To wit, the ballot box is locked most of the time.

But Dave unlocks it shortly before he counts the votes. Beth, with her masterful crouching skills, is completely invisible on the other side of the box.

She can stick her grubbly little paw in and yank all four of the Dave votes out.

That four votes are missing doesn't really phase Dave. All that matters is the vote Rosie cast for herself.

Dave is naturally angry he lost.

But this is a democracy. Power is peacefully transfered from him to the new president, Rosie.

"Listen, I can't thank you enough. You convinced that that I could do this, and you were right. I want you to have something. Dave kept some big weapon or something locked up in the safe in his office. The code is 1138. It's yours if you want it. We don't need it anymore."

The weapon in question is Ol' Painless, the unique Hunting Rifle.

Compared to the normal Hunting Rifle, Ol' Painless is 1/5 stronger, 50% faster to shoot and rechamber, costs 2 less AP, and has a spread of straight zero, meaning where Beth points is where the bullet goes.

Its only downside is that it has less item HP than a generic rifle, but it's still a relatively durable gun and it repairs with generic hunting rifles just fine.

Ol' Painless is how unique weapons usually go in Fallout 3, slightly better than the base version in a variety of categories.

The real issue is that the safe is an owned container, so Ol' Painless is stolen despite Rosie offering it to Beth. If someone actually catches Beth stealing, they'd confiscate it like any other stolen good.

That's easy, Beth just won't get caught stealing.

Old Olney is to the west of the Republic of Dave. It's also full of Deathclaws, which do exactly what they sound like they would. Good luck, Dave.

Despite the change in leadership, Rosie doesn't change the Republic of Dave's name.

That's the end of this random trek to one corner, as the Republic of Dave is as northwest as you can get.

It's back to Megaton for an important task:

Dying.

Beth, lab coat and baseball cap on, is ready for science. The science is chugging radioactive water while standing in it, joining the Glow and being divided in real time.

Radiation sickness inflicts increasingly intense penalties on Strength, Endurance, and Agility, until Beth reaches 1000 rads and promptly keels over.

>I'm about as irradiated as I can get without burning a hole in the floor.

"I can tell... You're positively glowing! Now just hold on and try not to move. Tell me how it feels, and I'll get you fixed right up."

Each task for the Wasteland Survival Guide has five possible response styles that shape the final book: Standard, which is straight-forward and no-nonsense; Snide, which is sarcastic and snide; Smart, which is thorough and reasoned; Tough, which is determined and reliable; and Sly, which is self-confident and self-assured.

Standard and Snide are always available, while Smart, Tough, and Sly require one of two SPECIAL stats at 7 depending on the task. For example, that Perception line is the Smart one, because with her 6 base and baseball cap, Beth has 7 Perception.

I'll be going for Snide ones for inscrutible reasons. Well, they're scrutible, but it'll be later. Just trust me.

>Too... tired... to be... snide.

"You're a lucky one, you know. At this level, most people don't make it. But then again, most people don't have my experimental tricks! Now, after taking a few notes, I'll take care of that nasty radiation with a bit of my own home-made concoction. I've never had a chance to test it out on someone so heavily dosed, but I'm sure it'll work out fine. Exciting, isn't it?"

The cure works perfectly. Almost. Beth has 0 rads left but she's a little mutated.

"Here, take a few radiation Chems, as my little way of saying, "I'm sorry I twisted your DNA like a kitten with a ball of yarn.""

The strength penalty is a huge pain but this sounds nice if you can deal with that better than crippled limbs. Let's get to another part of it.

>Getting food doesn't sound so bad. What are you looking for?

"Well, food and medicine. Everyone needs them once in a while, right? So they need a good place to find them!"

>Okay, I'll check the Super-Duper Mart.

"Oh, great! Food is most important, but see if you can get medicine, too. And if there's nothing to find, then just come back in one piece, okay?"

poo poo that's expensive. Not in the grand scale, but in that I don't want to spend much.

Well everyone pointed Beth at this saloon to find Liam Neeson so I guess I mgiht as well.

In the saloon, a very flesh-deficient-looking man and a woman argue about a broken radio - or a broken station.

Beth gets calld over by a weird man.

"And you, well, you are not a resident of this putrescent cesspool. That makes you a rather valuable individual."

>Mister Burke, is it? Please, continue. I find myself... enthralled.

"Finally, someone with a modicum of civility and common sense. I represent certain... interests. And those interests view this town, this "Megaton," as a blight on a burgeoning urban landscape."

>Go on. I'm listening.

The counterpoint to "I'll pay you a bit to make it not explode" is "I'll pay you a bit to make it explode".

"I have in my possession a Fusion Pulse Charge constructed for a singular purpose the detonation of that bomb. You'll rig it to the bomb. Then you'll get paid. Handsomely. What do you say?"

I can tell him I'll do it, I can tell him to gently caress off, but more than that, I can activate Post-Nuclear Beth's incredibly heterosexual powers.

"Color me intrigued. Go on..."

>You see, I live here, lover. And surely you wouldn't want to hurt me...

She's very powerful, you see.

"I'm not sure what I'm going to tell Tenpenny... I'll think of something... "

Mr. Burke is completely infatuated with this hot teen.

He's not kidding. He's leaving.

I think this guy owns this saloon.

"If you've got the caps, I've got your pleasure. Please, sit down, make yourself comfortable. Your troubles are a thing of the past."

>I'm looking for my father. Middle-aged guy. Maybe you've seen him?

"Oh, your daddy passed through here, all right. Here and gone. Got what he came for, and then left. I'm assuming you'll do the same, correct?"

>Huh? My father and I were born in Vault 101...

"Is that what your father told you? That you were born in that hole? That HE was born there as well? Oh, the lies we tell to those we love."

"That's right. Your father, his Brotherhood of Steel friend, and you, the suckling babe with nary a tit to suckle. Sorry about your mom. Truly. But, no matter. That big round door has opened now, hasn't it? Daddy's gone, and you need to know why. Could be I know where, and why...."

>Look, I just want to find my Dad. Do you know where he is?

"You seem like a nice kid, so I'm going to be straight with you. Your dad was here, and now he's not, and yes I know where he went. But what you're asking me for is information, and information is a commodity. Let's say... 100 caps, and daddy's location is yours. Very reasonable."

>I don't have 100 caps.

"All right, kid. Let me help you out, you know... for old time's sake. If you don't have the caps to pay for the information, then maybe you could do a little favor for me."

>Sure, anything to get the information.

"Eager, eh? Good... I like that. It's nice to have a doer in this shithole of a town for a change."

"Problem is she scrammed with the loot and set herself up in Springvale so she can inject herself into a stupor. Get the caps she owes me and they're yours. Yours to pay me with anyway. He he he he he."

On the way out i might as well solve this "atomic bomb" thing, let me just drop in on that.

Seems I had a way to increase my explosives skill by 5 after all. And you were clueless why I bought this hat, weren't you? I had you all fooled! :smug:

It's safe forever!!!

"And all without asking for pay, too. Hell, why don't you move in? Here's the key and deed to an empty house. Consider yourself a Megaton citizen! Oh and talk with Moira at Craterside Supply. She's got random odds and ends you might be able to spruce the place up with."

And that's that quest done! It'd be a bit more involved if we went with Mr. Burke and decided to blow it up, because we can't blow up Megaton while in Megaton.

And that's how Post-Nuclear Beth became a post-nuclear homeowner.

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 30, 2019

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I've never really understood what the benefit of blowing up a town full of quests and home bases was supposed to be.

Just being an rear end in a top hat, I guess?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Night10194 posted:

Welcome to evil choices!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Night10194 posted:

I've never really understood what the benefit of blowing up a town full of quests and home bases was supposed to be.

You get a whole 500 caps! Which is supposed to be a lot of money I guess, but really isn't after you've done like two or three dungeons at most

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

Fallout 3 quests in a nutshell. Either be a saint for often no money and plus karma, plane boring neutral, or evil itself for often slightly more money and negative karma. The introduction to the Republic of Dave questline says it all, your very first interaction can be declaring that you are going to destroy this place you have never seen before or know anything about, with zero provocation or reason for doing so except to be randomly evil.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Am I missing something or does everyone in Dave's family just happen to be an equal amount of insane/unintelligent?

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

The most difficult thing about the Republic of Dave is not accidently declaring you're going to murder everyone there.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Night10194 posted:

Basically, yeah. An obsidian RPG this is not

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

UED Special Ops posted:

Fallout 3 quests in a nutshell. Either be a saint for often no money and plus karma, plane boring neutral, or evil itself for often slightly more money and negative karma. The introduction to the Republic of Dave questline says it all, your very first interaction can be declaring that you are going to destroy this place you have never seen before or know anything about, with zero provocation or reason for doing so except to be randomly evil.

LashLightning posted:

The most difficult thing about the Republic of Dave is not accidently declaring you're going to murder everyone there.

Bioware morality balancing. Killing this slightly unhinged but relatively harmless township-family gives us free reign to murder as many or slightly more raiders without becoming a shining paragon of justice!

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Basically, yeah. An obsidian RPG this is not

On the other hand, god save your soul if you happen to hit a kid with a stray bullet in Fallout 1 or 2, as it doesn't matter who you were actually aiming at, a child is dead and you're now the worst person alive.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

can you install a mod that makes killing raiders not good karma, to remove the need to constantly do petty crime to avoid becoming Good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Raidets don't give karma in fo3. That's a new vegas bug where fiends gave a shitton.