Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Que?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Hungover and uncaffeinated; posting but can't think of a response to either of these

quote:

I'm in my mid 30s, and for about as long as I can remember, I have had basically no strong emotional feelings about anything. I don't feel lonely or sad, I don't get angry, and some things make me happy but I can't really imagine feeling joy or whatever. I used to think that was normal, but there's been a few times in my life that make me realize I'm pretty different from other people.

My estranged dad died when I was 18 (alcoholism), and I distinctly remember getting the phone call and feeling absolutely nothing. He wasn't a bad father when he was sober, and I enjoyed my time with him as a kid, but even at his funeral I didn't feel anything. I chalked it up to shock, but the feelings never really came around.

When I was a teenager, I was really quiet and reserved and I had a hard time connecting with people, until one day I literally changed. I saw that the socially dysfunctional (like me) were not very successful in life, so I watched the way socially successful people acted until I had a decent idea of what worked and what didn't, and I just changed my personality. Since then, I haven't had any issue being sociable or friendly, even popular I guess. But it's all fake; I don't actually feel anything towards these people I meet, good or bad. I just know how to read body language and context clues and react accordingly.

I was in the military for over a decade, through most of my 20s, and moved constantly, more than usual even for servicemembers (moved about every 12-18 months). I also worked long hours and often weekends, and there was a stretch where I was working 12-14 hour days every day for years and just hunkered down and didn't see or talk to anyone outside of work. This made keeping up relationships or even friendships nearly impossible, but it didn't bother me at all. I didn't even notice the isolation until I got out. I made friends at work while I was there, but as soon as I moved I never kept in touch, even with good friends that I spent a lot of time with outside of work.

I am horrible at communication over anything but face to face. I can text, and I can email (sometimes), but phone calls are like physically painful for me. I deleted or stopped using social media a long time ago because I just don't use it. This drives my large extended family nuts, I'm sure, and especially my mom, but I grit my teeth and take her weekly phone call, because she is my mom, after all, and she was good to me when I was growing up.

My wife has known me for a long time (long before we started dating), and she knows all these things and she still loves me, even though she's told me that I am definitely different from other guys. I'm happy I'm with her, and I know that I love her, in my brain, even though I don't really feel it, which makes me feel really weird.

What really concerns me is that my wife and I decided to have a baby, and she recently told me that she's pregnant. Which is great news, and it makes me happy because I want children with her. But I still don't feel anything.

I feel like a loving robot sometimes. What scares me is having a kid and not being able to emotionally connect with them. I do not want to be the stereotypical emotionally distant father figure. I'm relatively successful, have a great wife, a baby on the way, and I'm fortunate, but I just don't feel anything. Until now, it hasn't been a problem.

quote:

Let the thread fall back and finally got back to reading it.

I was the guy whose ex frequently messaged and called, then ghosted over and over.

It's embarrassing looking back on those messages, and not that anyone was wondering, but for completeness sake I'll post where that is now.

I finally blocked her, but she makes new accounts/numbers. She texts about once every 3 months, sometimes several messages, sometimes she deletes the message immediately. I don't respond and just block the account.

I have no idea what her game is here and I'm finally over really being upset about it. My divorce is final and I'm in a new relationship and all is well again.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ex-girlfriend goon: That's good. It sounded like she just needs attention at all times and was reaching out to you since she figured you'd give it to her. Good luck on the new relationship!

Robo-goon: I don't think that's all that uncommon. Lots of people are unemotional and you also understand that you should be feeling something so I don't think it's that bad (I'm kinda like that too. I know when I should be upset at something, but most of the time I just find myself not caring and give a "that sucks" or "gently caress this" accordingly). I could be wrong, I'm no therapist or anything, but I don't think you should worry about it. See how it feels when your kid comes and then go to therapy if you think you should.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Robo-goon: have you tried lsd???

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Cacator posted:

Robo-goon: have you tried lsd???

This but unironically

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I recall a similar story I read somewhere about an unemotional guy. Until the day his first kid was born and holding his son for the first time, it was like a switch flipped and he cried for the first time. Then spent the next few weeks crying over every loss he'd had in his life; grandparents and friends who had died sometimes decades prior. Maybe that'll happen to you, robo goon

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I believe that story was right here in this very thread and if not, it’s from this forum for sure.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
I heard some guy even wrote a song about it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgK-1mpSljI

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I think different human beings have different emotional ranges - and that's okay. Especially since getting sober I've felt more or less how robogoon describes it.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Super Waffle posted:

I recall a similar story I read somewhere about an unemotional guy. Until the day his first kid was born and holding his son for the first time, it was like a switch flipped and he cried for the first time. Then spent the next few weeks crying over every loss he'd had in his life; grandparents and friends who had died sometimes decades prior. Maybe that'll happen to you, robo goon

Also if this doesn't happen that's okay too. You sound like you've got a good compass, so just keep on going, I guess? Try therapy if you ever feel like it, otherwise I wouldn't.

Uh maybe the LSD thing but I couldn't imagine taking the time for that with a newborn so now or in a few years lol. Also I don't know your wife but, "hey honey, now that you're pregnant I did drugs and now I'm a different person!" seems like a conversation that could go radically different ways.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Is the "LSD fixes depression/emotions" thing real? Because I did a ton of LSD in my 20's and it never really seemed to change me at all. Just let me have a good time for about a dozen hours and then feel a bit slow and crummy for a day afterward.

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005
[reading confession from someone who is almost certainly a sociopath / psychopath] my dude, get on LSD. you will LOVE it. no bad can come of this.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

Is the "LSD fixes depression/emotions" thing real? Because I did a ton of LSD in my 20's and it never really seemed to change me at all. Just let me have a good time for about a dozen hours and then feel a bit slow and crummy for a day afterward.

Well someone said it on the internet so...definitely

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Solice Kirsk posted:

There’s reason to believe in the therapeutic value of LSD.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'd say I have some bad news for you but as I'm just an aspect of your still ongoing subjective time dilated first trip technically you have some bad news for you.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Real thugs blaze ergotamine.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
The most remarkable therapeutic results are from mushrooms, which are also way less counterfeited. Like 3 sigma for treatment resistant depression compared to prozac's like half a sigma. Lasts for about a month ish. Current biggest trials all have pretty bad methodological flaws and are small tho

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
not liking phonecalls isn’t weird and preferring face to face makes you more human, imo. :corsair:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Super Waffle posted:

I remember that coming up in a TG chat thread of all things where a new father didn't feel attached to his kid until one day the baby looked into his eyes and suddenly it opened the floodgates. Probably something with how men are basically trained from birth that they're not supposed to have emotions, and so once they do find they're allowed to express them it all comes flooding out.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Robo goon: seek therapy. Like seriously. Don't knock up a lady and expect looking into an infant's eyes to fix your depression/mental health issues.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

There is no therapy that will put empathy into someone with anti-social personality disorder/whatever umbrella term is appropriate here. You can only teach someone afflicted with this to practice aping empathy and to curb their worst impulses. It's super depressing no matter how you look at it.

Good Ol Filbert
Jun 10, 2019

Rad-daddio posted:

My wife and I were painting the kitchen a few years ago, and she actually managed to hit her face against a cabinet door and it gave her a legit black eye.

Que the following two weeks of everyone accusing me of hitting her, and her workplace HR pulling her aside to ask if she wanted help filing domestic abuse charges.

Me: No, seriously. She hit her face on a cabinet.

The Entire World: Suuurre. Whatever you say, Ike Turner...

Aww, the poor dear. It must have been a stressful experience for her and yourself. I bet that she's all better now with a beautiful face, and with a beautiful kitchen!

My sister walked into the metal lock part of the gate, she's short and it's up high, so it was eye level to her. When she would walk around with her then boyfriend, they would give him dirty looks too. It's refreshing to see how people are protective of women, even though it's an accident, it kinda makes you feel a little bit better about society for shunning violence towards women instead of being complacent and cracking a joke.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Good Ol Filbert posted:

Aww, the poor dear. It must have been a stressful experience for her and yourself. I bet that she's all better now with a beautiful face, and with a beautiful kitchen!

My sister walked into the metal lock part of the gate, she's short and it's up high, so it was eye level to her. When she would walk around with her then boyfriend, they would give him dirty looks too. It's refreshing to see how people are protective of women, even though it's an accident, it kinda makes you feel a little bit better about society for shunning violence towards women instead of being complacent and cracking a joke.

If they weren't black eyes but something equally as obvious as abuse no one would give a poo poo and tut it off in the same vein as "she deserved it". It's hosed how easily our and really in society will give a wide breadth to the possibility of obvious abuse

Through an insane series of bad events a girlfriend of mine gave me not one, but two black eyes at once and not a single person, stranger or family/friend, ever said a word lol

Good Ol Filbert
Jun 10, 2019

kazr posted:

If they weren't black eyes but something equally as obvious as abuse no one would give a poo poo and tut it off in the same vein as "she deserved it". It's hosed how easily our and really in society will give a wide breadth to the possibility of obvious abuse

Through an insane series of bad events a girlfriend of mine gave me not one, but two black eyes at once and not a single person, stranger or family/friend, ever said a word lol

It breaks my heart when I hear of abuse towards men, I'm sorry that you went through that. I'm assuming that you're a man. Machismo runs rampant and I feel like people may believe that you were in a fight over being hit by your loved one. It sounds scary and it sounds like it left your scarred physically and emotionally. I'm sorry that you went through that.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
My wife caught a t-grip to the eye while Whitewater rafting. She then left for a conference on the other side of the country, where she received lots of comments and a few offers to take her someplace safe. I'm glad so many people looked out for her, even if that meant that I looked like a monster for a couple of weeks.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
My wife fell over into some tree debris after a storm and came to work all covered in bruises and scratch marks for weeks. Unfortunately we're pretty sure her colleagues' comments were more about their love of scandal than actual concern.

She doesn't work there anymore.

Good Ol Filbert
Jun 10, 2019

I was curling my hair and I accidentally burned a bit of my neck and it scabbed over, it was a bit on the purplish brownish side, so it looked like a hickey. I showed up to work with it, and my coworkers wanted to know who the lucky person was that gave me a vampire kiss. I laughed because, what am I in middle school? Get outta here!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I got mugged, well attempted mugging, and went into work with a big gash on my forehead, a black eye, and torn up knuckles and the only person to ask what happened was one of my clients that kinda has a little crush on me. Not one of my managers, none of the other bankers, non of my other clients asked or mentioned it at all. But if I wear a tiger tie they freak out.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I came to work with a strained back and my 15 year younger coworkers just assumed I had sex the previous night because olds hurt themselves doin’ it right?

Hah hah yeah I had sex with my wife... hah hah.

I hurt it picking up my kids toys.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Good Ol Filbert posted:

It breaks my heart when I hear of abuse towards men, I'm sorry that you went through that. I'm assuming that you're a man. Machismo runs rampant and I feel like people may believe that you were in a fight over being hit by your loved one. It sounds scary and it sounds like it left your scarred physically and emotionally. I'm sorry that you went through that.

I should have clarified better that it was a legitimate accident. She was a good person that wouldn't do something like that intentionally.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Lots of abusers coming up with bullshit cover up stories in this thread

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

I got mugged, well attempted mugging, and went into work with a big gash on my forehead, a black eye, and torn up knuckles and the only person to ask what happened was one of my clients that kinda has a little crush on me. Not one of my managers, none of the other bankers, non of my other clients asked or mentioned it at all. But if I wear a tiger tie they freak out.

Hey mugged buddy, I got attempted mugged/robbed when I was in Savannah, GA riding my bike home from a party, luckily I was pretty buzzed so I took the first hit pretty well, second hit came that split my eyebrow, I just kept pedaling (heard em yellin "get your rear end over here imma take your poo poo!". Two busted rear end bike tires afterwards, pulled my bloody face and broken rear end bike to a convenience store down the street and there was a cop there. I went up to her and she goes "oh my gawd, can I help you with something?" and I said "yeah a couple dudes down the street tried to rob me, could you head down there and see if they're still lurking?" and she just goes "nah, I'm not gonna do that, but do you need an ambulance or anything?" I said gently caress it and ruined my bike rims even more getting back and just decided to pass out on my dorm bed. Woke up with a bloody face crusted to my pillow and the only empathy I got was my roomie looking at my face the next day saying "drat man, that looks bad, gross."

So yeh sorry bruv but people dont really give a poo poo about attempted muggins these days huh lol

oh yeah same city I also had my car totalled by a group of folks that decided to steal a car, run a red light, t-bone me, and then 4 people take off running. Good times.

ceebee fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Oct 29, 2019

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

I experience a similar phenomena, for me it's rooted in the fact that I don't see my life as special, notable, or particularly valuable so things that happen in it just don't touch me. Things that get other people all riled up and emotional seem silly and small. None of it actually matters all that much, so why would I let myself feel anything about it.

Probably rooted in deep-seated depression and too much internal philosophizing. If you don't have symptoms of depression, maybe you're just autistic

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Play posted:

I experience a similar phenomena, for me it's rooted in the fact that I don't see my life as special, notable, or particularly valuable so things that happen in it just don't touch me. Things that get other people all riled up and emotional seem silly and small. None of it actually matters all that much, so why would I let myself feel anything about it.

Probably rooted in deep-seated depression and too much internal philosophizing. If you don't have symptoms of depression, maybe you're just autistic

Anonymous confessions: maybe you're just autistic? :shrug:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

ceebee posted:

a cop there. I went up to her and she goes "oh my gawd, can I help you with something?" and I said "yeah a couple dudes down the street tried to rob me, could you head down there and see if they're still lurking?" and she just goes "nah, I'm not gonna do that, but do you need an ambulance or anything?"

Lmao

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
In some jurisdictions, cops have deals with ambulance companies and will try to push as hard as they can for an ambulance ride, no matter what the situation, so they get the kickback for “referring” you.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

HerStuddMuffin posted:

In some jurisdictions, cops have deals with ambulance companies and will try to push as hard as they can for an ambulance ride, no matter what the situation, so they get the kickback for “referring” you.

and will often cause your injuries necessitating the need for the ambulance :eng101:

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Do you have a link to this or something? I haven't been outraged enough lately I guess.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

(English as a second language, so sorry for any weird grammar etc.)
I've never had much contact with the opposite sex, mainly because it seemed easier and/or I haven't had or made time for it. Because of that, I don't have a lot of (sexual) experience and I'm still a virgin at 30 years of age.
I started looking around more or less actively on various dating site for about a year now with moderate success. I had a few good dates with interesting people, none leading to anything serious. Now, I have somehow managed to meet an amazing women over Tinder whom I've been seeing for a couple of weeks. Shes' clever, witty and beautiful as well. I've already slept over at her place after our first kiss, but we did not have sex yet (only made out a lot the next morning). She's coming over for the weekend and I'm in this weird place of excitement and nervousness. I do plan to tell her of my "condition" beforehand, but will try to not make a big deal out of it. I somehow think I owe it to her to let her know and that I will make sure to make up for the lack of experience in other departments.
I'm not really looking for advice, I just needed to tell somebody about my current state of happiness.

Thanks for the thread, Loq!

Yeah absolutely don't make too big a "thing" of it, but it sounds like you know that. Hope everything goes well!

quote:

i'm not really scared of anything (i mean anything, including death), except mental decline. the thought of my mental faculties failing absolutely terrifies me.

my maternal grandmother had alzheimers, and i was watched as she gradually slipped away, which really hosed me up i think. my mom is in her 60s, but she's totally fine as far as i can tell, but i'm still really worried about her getting it too.

i have an exceptional memory, and i distinctly remember feeling really sharp and mentally agile when i was younger. now i have a hard time recalling things from my past, like personal memories (but technical/factual recall is still perfect) and sometimes i feel a bit sluggish, and it freaks me out big time. i know it's probably just a normal symptom of aging, but it's definitely my biggest fear and i feel like i'm overly hyperaware of my mental acuity because of it.

Honestly, same

As I've gotten older I've found it really does feel like all of your past events kind of blend together (there's a lot of "wait, was that last year or the year before, I have no loving clue" type stuff) and if you're not careful you can feel like you're sleepwalking through life.

I find it kind of interesting how since my insecurities are different from yours (you're worried about mental decline, while I'm worried about life passing me by) we can interpret the same symptoms (the past getting blurry, and feeling sluggish) as worrying indications of completely different problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

of course you remembered things better when you were little, you didn't have much to remember